PDA

View Full Version : Anyone get in trouble with CO about Hunting with both Rifle and Bow beofore?

bruce44
09-02-2020, 09:00 AM
I went deer hunting in 7-13, with a crossbow last evening. I was hunting on my friend's farmland and although I didn't see any deer, I did see a black bear as I was coming around a corner on a trail, leading to the grain fields. Unfortunately, he saw me before I could see him. He was 100 yards away and he b-lined it to the trees. I didn't really feel like chasing after a black bear, in thick bush, with just a cross bow.

I was thinking of bringing my rifle with my crossbow, to my blind, just in case there's another one. Has anyone faced any issues with this before? I know it's clunky but I won't be moving around much. I'll just be sitting in a grain field. I know some CO's can be pretty nit picky about the regulations.

Edit: It's bow season for ungulates and open black bear

Fella
09-02-2020, 09:08 AM
I mean technically if there’s a rifle season open there shouldn’t be a problem. Of course I guess if the CO is a dick you might have an issue

bruce44
09-02-2020, 09:09 AM
It's bow season for ungulates and open black bear season at the same time. I don't want to be accused of hunting ungulates with a rifle during bow season.

Island Idiots
09-02-2020, 09:12 AM
I carry a loaded rifle when I’m in the woods. Predator protection. No law broken. I carry a firearm for the same reason they do.

Ron.C
09-02-2020, 09:18 AM
I've haven't heard of any issues. There is no rule in the regulations that states it's unlawful to carry a legal firearm during bow season for wildlife protection. If a CO believes you to be lying and hunting with the firearm you say you are carrying for protection, it's his call if he wants to lay a charge or not. But I would suspect he would need some sort of proof you are actually hunting with the firearm otherwise his charge wouldn't go to far in court.

Same for a warning or fine, both can be contested if you get accused of something you were not doing.

I know a couple folks who carry a defender type shotgun and one who likes a lever action 45-70 while bowhunting

upperleftcoaster
09-02-2020, 09:28 AM
as long as your deer doesn't have a bullet hole in it, you should be fine.

skibum
09-02-2020, 10:12 AM
Isn't that part of the experience to hunting with a bow - that you don't have a rifle with you?

Or is bow season just an opportunity to harvest something?

Don't care is someone carries a rifle while bow hunting, just wondering.

Seeker
09-02-2020, 10:27 AM
Bear spray

Redthies
09-02-2020, 11:29 AM
Isn't that part of the experience to hunting with a bow - that you don't have a rifle with you?

Or is bow season just an opportunity to harvest something?

Don't care is someone carries a rifle while bow hunting, just wondering.

It all depends on your perspective. I can’t bow hunt due to shoulder and elbow injuries, but if I could, I’d be packing a compact shotgun or mares Leg in .44 mag for defence purposes, especially if I were in grizzly country. I know you can’t hunt a grizz, but if it’s a “him or me” scenario, I will be shooting first and asking questions later.

Leaseman
09-02-2020, 11:34 AM
I carry a loaded rifle when I’m in the woods. Predator protection. No law broken. I carry a firearm for the same reason they do.

Read this again and head for the woods with your bow and rifle!

walks with deer
09-02-2020, 12:32 PM
no issue carrying gun and bow...

only time i got questioned on it was a undereducated cop. he also told me it wasnt hunting season on sept 3rd..

Linksman313
09-02-2020, 01:14 PM
SXP Pump wearing short furniture always strapped on my back during string and stick season, hangs in the blind beautifully too. To me it would seem much easier to explain (shotgun no scope obviously) than if your packing your .300 during the whitey bow opener.
It has been my experience in the wild that the SXP is every bit the predator deterrent that any rifle has been save half the weight.
(No I have not run into a Griz in this configuration and make the most effort to avoid any aforementioned predator surprises while in their domain)
Hope this helps and good luck

russm86
09-02-2020, 01:22 PM
I've carried both bow/crossbow and a rifle or shotgun in the truck lots during deer bow season and the only thing I've ever been asked is to show the firearm is unloaded while in the truck.

Whether for protection, predators, bear or other open seasons, or just to sight it in while you are already out, it doesn't really matter. There are no laws in BC stating you can't carry a firearm during bow season, or any other season, whether there are any hunting seasons or not for that matter (besides maybe some provincial or national parks). They'd have to be able to prove beyond reasonable doubt that you were in fact hunting deer with the rifle in bow only season. Unless they find a deer you've shot with a bullet in it or obvious bullet wound compared to archery wound, they would be hard pressed to have anything stand up in court IF they for some reason attempted to charge you with anything.

bruce44
09-02-2020, 02:09 PM
Thanks everyone. I'll be carrying my scoped remington 783 30-06 so it's not quite as defensive looking as a shotgun. I just didn't want to get into those weird gray situations. Like hiking with a rifle in the summer then running into a herd of deer, only to be fined for hunting deer off season.

REMINGTON JIM
09-02-2020, 02:51 PM
Open Bear Season with Rifle and Bow - All Legal !
Open Deer Season with Bow - All Legal !

Should NOT ! even be a disscussion with a CO unless your Deer has a BULLET hole in it ! :wink: RJ

fuzzybiscuit
09-02-2020, 02:59 PM
Open Bear Season with Rifle and Bow - All Legal !
Open Deer Season with Bow - All Legal !

Should NOT ! even be a disscussion with a CO unless your Deer has a BULLET hole in it ! :wink: RJ

This^^
Pretty simple.

BriarPatch
09-02-2020, 06:05 PM
I spoke with a co on a similar subject. I have pal/rpal and a hunting licence wife has pal/rpal but no hunting licence so my question was after running into a grizzly kill with dog how would you view my wife who does not have a hunting licence carrying a gun for defence, answer was if she has relevant documentation ie. pal and it was loaded with slugs or buck shot no problem but if it was loaded with bird shot and choked accordingly he would not be happy. He said that it came down to intent. I would argue that a bow with a defender shotgun is no different a scoped rifle should be the same but call and ask

brian
09-02-2020, 06:18 PM
There would be absolutely no problem if you had bear and deer tags.

Bigdoggdon
09-02-2020, 07:49 PM
The only issue I can think of with this is I don't believe you're allowed to have more than one weapon loaded and ready to go. Might be an issue if you're out walking and carrying your loaded crossbow as well as having a loaded rifle over your shoulder.

walks with deer
09-02-2020, 08:57 PM
The only issue I can think of with this is I don't believe you're allowed to have more than one weapon loaded and ready to go. Might be an issue if you're out walking and carrying your loaded crossbow as well as having a loaded rifle over your shoulder.

and let me guess you cant hunt canada geese eitheir?

bruce44
09-02-2020, 10:37 PM
Thanks everyone. You guys may have saved my life today. I was sitting on a grain field waiting for deer when a mother and cub came out of the bush 50ft away. Mom was not happy. One shot into the dirt scared them both off though.
Yelling didnt scare them off. So if I only carried my crossbow, i dont know what would have happened.

Shermanator
09-03-2020, 07:26 AM
Defender with me when I am hunting with crossbow, plus pepper spray. Is there a law that says I can't carry two loaded rifles??

russm86
09-03-2020, 07:47 AM
Defender with me when I am hunting with crossbow, plus pepper spray. Is there a law that says I can't carry two loaded rifles??

Actually, I believe their used to be a law against hunting with 2 firearms to some effect. I don't recall if it was 2 centerfire rifles or 2 shotguns (for duck hunting) though, and not sure if it's still a thing. I vaguely remember when I did my CORE course ages ago that there were maybe restrictions on carrying 2 rifles (only one could be centerfire or something) as well as 2 shotguns for waterfowl. I think the waterfowl one might be a thing still, not sure about the other...

caddisguy
09-03-2020, 08:37 AM
Actually, I believe their used to be a law against hunting with 2 firearms to some effect. I don't recall if it was 2 centerfire rifles or 2 shotguns (for duck hunting) though, and not sure if it's still a thing. I vaguely remember when I did my CORE course ages ago that there were maybe restrictions on carrying 2 rifles (only one could be centerfire or something) as well as 2 shotguns for waterfowl. I think the waterfowl one might be a thing still, not sure about the other...

There is something of that nature for hunting migratory birds. As the shotgun is supposed to be limited to the number of rounds, I guess they don't want you sitting there with 5 shotguns ready to rip and not have to reload :)

As far as hunting with two rifles, I combed the regs as well as the wildlife act with regard to that and could not find anything. I do not believe there is an issue at all.

Carrying a rifle during bow season, definitely no law specifically against that. There are animals open to rifle and animals open to bow, so legal opportunity for both. That aside (even if there was nothing open for rifle) there is still no specific law against it. A conservation officer would have to believe you were using the rifle to shoot species that are no open for rifle and there would need to be evidence of that for a case. Being charged for simply carrying the rifle during bow season would be a "thought crime" ... very unreasonable and I have never heard of it happened so I have zero concern about having a rifle around during bow season (in my case for protection)

That said, if anyone is concerned about it, the best thing to do is email the ministry for clarification as they are the authority on the matter. They will reply back with clarification on the issue and then you can print out the letter, carry it around in your pack or whatever. In the event you run into an issue in the field you can present said letter to clear things up.

russm86
09-03-2020, 12:48 PM
There is something of that nature for hunting migratory birds. As the shotgun is supposed to be limited to the number of rounds, I guess they don't want you sitting there with 5 shotguns ready to rip and not have to reload :)

As far as hunting with two rifles, I combed the regs as well as the wildlife act with regard to that and could not find anything. I do not believe there is an issue at all.

Carrying a rifle during bow season, definitely no law specifically against that. There are animals open to rifle and animals open to bow, so legal opportunity for both. That aside (even if there was nothing open for rifle) there is still no specific law against it. A conservation officer would have to believe you were using the rifle to shoot species that are no open for rifle and there would need to be evidence of that for a case. Being charged for simply carrying the rifle during bow season would be a "thought crime" ... very unreasonable and I have never heard of it happened so I have zero concern about having a rifle around during bow season (in my case for protection)

That said, if anyone is concerned about it, the best thing to do is email the ministry for clarification as they are the authority on the matter. They will reply back with clarification on the issue and then you can print out the letter, carry it around in your pack or whatever. In the event you run into an issue in the field you can present said letter to clear things up.

Yea, I think the 2 rifle thing was an old old reg that has likely since been removed. One of those things people just scratched their heads at...