PDA

View Full Version : Calling in Elk

Jagermonster
09-01-2020, 08:37 PM
Hello HBC’ers. I’m looking for some tips from all the experienced hunters on here. I’ve hunted for over 30 years but I’m still fairly new to Elk hunting and learning as I go. I’ve been elk hunting for the last 5 years and wanted to ask you guys about what you suggest works best in our BC mountains for locating elk, and eventually calling in the bulls. (Other than glassing)

I’m not a road hunter (no offence if you are, all good by me) but I mostly hike in, glass, and put miles on the boots.

I have tried bugling and cow calling and was able to get a few bulls to respond to me but still haven’t been able to get one to come in close enough for a shot. I’ve hunted most of September for them, and it may just be me but I find they’re bugling less and less every year.

Any help is appreciated.

Cheers

sames14
09-01-2020, 09:45 PM
Once you hear the bull stick to cow calling chirps and very, very slowly head in the direction of the bull. Two different cow calls work best and even a hand held call and mouth call at the same time.

dbergen69
09-01-2020, 10:16 PM
I find that when I get a response close the distance as quickly and quietly as possible. If I can get within 100 yards or so that is great. At this point I lik a challenge bugle but cow calls can also work. I keep working closer and closer to the bull.

Huevos
09-01-2020, 10:28 PM
Elk can be frustrating. Each situation is different. A lot of times a bull will round up his cows and push them away from you. He may come back to see if he can grab some of yours once he has his a safe distance from you, or he may just keep going. If you get right in on him, he knows he lost his opportunity to run and you will have a better chance at getting him in. As a general rule, If I hear a bull elk answer, or call, I try to get within 200 yards of him without callingback. Once he answers, don't waste any time closing the distance. I usually don't even try to be quiet. Get in his face and call again. If he answers, call right over top of him. (put some hours in on learning to call. I think this is where a lot of elk hunters are lacking.) You want to sound like a medium bull for best results. I'd try a double reed for that. Always play the wind too. If it is wrong, you already lost. Back out and come back later. Good luck this year. Keep at it and you will be successful. I hope to see some pics of your bull this year.

allan
09-01-2020, 11:10 PM
This guy, Paul medel, listen to his info, download the elk nut app.
Listen to this pod cast , “the rich outdoors”episodes 158, 193, 260.
we started listening to him last year, got our first elk sept 1 2019, today we blew our chances when calling because we weren’t patient enough. Tomorrow am I’m headed out early again.

cameron0518
09-02-2020, 12:28 AM
There is no perfect answer. Keep downwind and things will come together for you.

ACE
09-02-2020, 07:13 AM
Called in a bull with twisted non-typical bone. Was above him and he came up into the small barren basin below. He was calling back, and I bugled over top of him a few times. He was pissed. He beat up a small alder tree then pushed it over and he fell over. I bugled while he was struggling to regain his feet. He started to twirl around like a dog chasing his tail. Wouldn't want to be too near him.
This was in the Flathead . . . early 6point+ season. He wasn't legal at that time. Later saw him in the back of a pick-up truck in Elko.
Such is elk hunting . . .

09-02-2020, 07:28 AM
https://youtu.be/-DGE_sJ4dpE

https://youtu.be/gvwn8MgI6Ms

jac
09-02-2020, 07:48 AM
Use a location bugle. Find the bull head his way with a few cow calls. Once you get in tight you can cow call or hit him with a challenge bugle. Tons of youtube to learn from for elk calling tactics

xlcc
09-02-2020, 08:39 AM
Another senario that has worked for me you might want to try.
I do this with a buddy.Find a narrow valley with slide shutes coming down the hill then have your friend go across the valley above the creek and up the hill a couple hundred yards and you go up the hill quite a ways on your side.When in position early in the morning you do a bugle.A little while later your hunting partner bugles.Work your way up the valley and do another call every few hundred yards.Your buddy does the same but stays lower in the valley.
If there are any elk in the valley you will definately get get their attention.If the elk don't respond you will probably see lots of sign or them moving about.Don't be afraid to bugle even in their bedding areas where it can be very thick.This is often where we get lots of action at very close range.
Along the slide shute edges is also a great area to bugle as we have had bulls step out onto the slide a bugle a challenge.Sometimes this is where you can make your shot if you are ready.Be in position to shoot before you call.Sometimes things happen fast.
It is nice to have a buddy with you as when you shoot an elk in these type of locations it is a lot of packing to get back to camp.
Good luck.

boxhitch
09-02-2020, 11:18 AM
708, great links thanks, that passes the morning nicely

charlie_horse
09-02-2020, 11:25 AM
I like the Corey jacobsen/remi Warren method of bugling often and getting in their face as fast as possible with more bugles. Wind is the determining factor for every scenario.

Jagermonster
09-08-2020, 10:19 PM
Thank you for all the responses and tips everyone. Yes, I’ve definitely watched my fare share of YouTube videos over the last few years... like all of you probably have! haha

We’re heading out on Sunday for a week and will see what we can get. I have two different cow calls, a couple mouth reeds, and a bugle tube. Will try different techniques and will definitely try to stay downwind.

Much appreciated again and all the best on your hunts :)

operator jon
09-09-2020, 07:42 AM
Watch the thermals up in the cool of the morning, down in the heat of the late morning and afternoon, back up in the cool of the evening. Keep checking the wind.

willyqbc
09-09-2020, 08:02 AM
our approach is a little different than some posted above...but it has served us well over the years.

we don't worry about noise, don't worry about wind.....we just pick a route in the morning and pound through, bugling as loud as we can every 200 yds. Throw in some cow calls if ya like. When we get a response, we aggressively pursue...go straight at it, continuing to bugle intermittently. Generally speaking as long as the cows are still moving towards bedding, the bull will not stop, but will usually keep sending "F-off" bugles back at ya, which helps you keep tabs on em. Now, when the cows slow down or stop long enough for you to get into the bulls comfort zone....he WILL turn and come back to kick your ass. he will circle to try and get the wind and get a look at you. This is where you send the shooter ahead and to the side you expect him to circle....he/she stays silent and somewhat hidden.

It sounds counter productive to go at it this aggressively....but it has worked VERY WELL for us....14 big bulls in 7 years when we were heavy into elk hunting....havent been after elk for about 5 years...but we're back onto it this year, so hopefully good results will happen!

Good luck to you!

todbartell
09-09-2020, 09:24 AM
Get aggressive with the challenge bugles, and estrous calls.

Jrax
09-09-2020, 10:30 AM
lots of great tips ..check wind ALOT when the bull/bulls are getting close. Was really close on a big 6pt that would come up to his piss pits about 7:30am working up as thermals were still going down. He gets to his pit about the time when wind was changing and swirling so i had to drop a bit down the other side of the ridge and sit tight. He was very quiet older bull and bugled 2-3 times only over 2 days i was on him.

Take temperature of bull and adjust calling accordingly

When the moment comes be aggressive at getting the shot! Ive made the mistake alot of 'i dont want to get busted so i will try again tonight or tommorrow' - that chance may not come again.

Bugle M In
09-09-2020, 11:35 AM
Lots of good posts here.
#4 was a good one as well as #15

The main factor is the situation.
Is the bull solo, is he a satellite, or is he a herd bull, and does he have cows???

A solo bull, looking for cows (doesnt matter on status, imo), will come in, if he is ready (sometimes too hot or he just had an ass whooping, so timid).
Bugles at first, so he can hear you (cow calls dont travel far), but throw in cow calls right away after bugle, then wait, then repeat every 10-15 min.
Once he responds, throw him a few, F-off small bull bugles and cow calls.
Once he comes in, and is calling, cow calls.
He might come in silent.

The big issue is when a bull/s have cows.
A Satellite might come in anyways, but a herd bull wont leave cows.
Sometimes bugling, but not knowing that there is a bull with cows in the area, may cause them to round up, head off elsewhere, AND you never knew
they were even there (i have watched other hunters, watching a herd and seeing exactly that, dozens of times!!)

Spotting is always best for herd bulls, then make your way in.
But not every location has that opportunity!
Thats why you throw out high pitched, single note, hello bugles (locating)
Sound small, but a bull looking to join the pack.
Listen for bull calls, BUT, also Cow Calls!!

Once you hear a bugle, and you are not sure if it is solo or a herd, you can stay put, and see if it gets closer.
IF it does, wait and do what i have said already.
If it stays in the same area, or moves away, stop bugling, and START MOVING!
Make noise is okay, remember wind (or it is game over!!), and COW CALL from time to time.

Now, as said, if you get right in them, let a bugle rip, and be prepared to be run over!!
Might be you just walked into them or they walked into you??

One last thing, if a bull is coming in:
If he can, he will always travel to your "down wind side"!!!
You got to keep him cut off from doing that, either by you or a hunting partner staying quiet and waiting ( possibly on 50 yards).
Sometimes they expose themselves due to terrain, then no problem.
Other times, they have a lot of timber to work with to move downwind, so keep that in mind!

A 2 person system is best.
A bull knows EXAcTLY where you are standing, even from 800 yards away, imo.
Another hunter, ahead of you as a bull comes in is best.
Sometime i act as a herd bull, leaving my buddy right where i started to make contact with a bull.
If the bull is coming in, and is almost there, i start to "walk away"!
Trying to get bull to follow me, and thus walk right by my hunting partner.

Many ways to hunt them, and no one way is always going to work.
Depends on the bulls status, and terrain and time of day, imo.

Good luck

Jagermonster
09-10-2020, 09:45 PM
Thanks very much for taking the time to type this out. Very helpful and I will
keep all of this in mind. It’s been very hot unfortunately as you all know. Hope it cools down quick because I can’t change my dates this year and only have a short window to be out there.

Cheers

Jagermonster
09-12-2020, 10:13 PM
Elk can be frustrating. Each situation is different. A lot of times a bull will round up his cows and push them away from you. He may come back to see if he can grab some of yours once he has his a safe distance from you, or he may just keep going. If you get right in on him, he knows he lost his opportunity to run and you will have a better chance at getting him in. As a general rule, If I hear a bull elk answer, or call, I try to get within 200 yards of him without callingback. Once he answers, don't waste any time closing the distance. I usually don't even try to be quiet. Get in his face and call again. If he answers, call right over top of him. (put some hours in on learning to call. I think this is where a lot of elk hunters are lacking.) You want to sound like a medium bull for best results. I'd try a double reed for that. Always play the wind too. If it is wrong, you already lost. Back out and come back later. Good luck this year. Keep at it and you will be successful. I hope to see some pics of your bull this year.

Thank you for all the tips. Fingers crossed we make it happen this year. Happy hunting to you as well.

Jagermonster
09-12-2020, 10:17 PM
our approach is a little different than some posted above...but it has served us well over the years.

we don't worry about noise, don't worry about wind.....we just pick a route in the morning and pound through, bugling as loud as we can every 200 yds. Throw in some cow calls if ya like. When we get a response, we aggressively pursue...go straight at it, continuing to bugle intermittently. Generally speaking as long as the cows are still moving towards bedding, the bull will not stop, but will usually keep sending "F-off" bugles back at ya, which helps you keep tabs on em. Now, when the cows slow down or stop long enough for you to get into the bulls comfort zone....he WILL turn and come back to kick your ass. he will circle to try and get the wind and get a look at you. This is where you send the shooter ahead and to the side you expect him to circle....he/she stays silent and somewhat hidden.

It sounds counter productive to go at it this aggressively....but it has worked VERY WELL for us....14 big bulls in 7 years when we were heavy into elk hunting....havent been after elk for about 5 years...but we're back onto it this year, so hopefully good results will happen!

Good luck to you!

Lot of great tips, and I like this method. I certainly try to close the distance at the closest opportunity. Much appreciated and will see how it goes this year. Heading out in the morning and it seems like I’ll need a gas mask if the smoke keeps on coming in!!

Grizz.325
09-13-2020, 06:51 PM
I donno about all the fancy tactics I parked my truck bugled out the window and boom 7x5 comes running and chuckling in to meat his fate this morning. ��

All bulls react differently and almost every situation is different. One thing I’ve learned is if you have a bull calling just copy him. It really pisses them off and works them up, especially early in the season. Cheers and good luck to everyone. There’s nothing like a bugling bull coming in hot.

Looking_4_Jerky
09-14-2020, 08:23 AM
Interesting to read all the great advice. I'm definately taking notes. Just got back from the southeast, hunted last Thurs thru yesterday. Our group had terrible results. Couldn't get them to talk at all for the first 3 days. In the mornings there'd be elk tracks over our tracks, so I knew we were being heard. We were out at the crack of dawn trying to take advantage of the cooler temps. Not sure if was the intense heat or the smoke but just couldn't locate animals that were obviously there. The smoke actually made the days cooler than the sunny, clear weather we had before it arrived. Moon should not have been a factor, as we think clear nights with full moons can negatively affect hunting.

Not sure if our experience last few days is like others' but it was terrible. We finally got a bull to call back a couple times yesterday but he quit answering after a couple despite being far enough away that I doubt he gathered his cows and split. I'm not the most experienced elk hunter out there but out group has had success in the 10 or 12 years we've been at it... although this is year 2 of camp skunk. :mad:

Bugle M In
09-14-2020, 11:55 AM
I donno about all the fancy tactics I parked my truck bugled out the window and boom 7x5 comes running and chuckling in to meat his fate this morning. ��

All bulls react differently and almost every situation is different. One thing I’ve learned is if you have a bull calling just copy him. It really pisses them off and works them up, especially early in the season. Cheers and good luck to everyone. There’s nothing like a bugling bull coming in hot.
Yup, imitating the bulls call seems to work well.
Some bulls really get pissed when you chuckle at them, especially if you bugle like them.
Also, start with higher pitched calls for locating, rather then full out bull roar bugles.
Big bull calling is for big bulls, imo.

Bugle M In
09-14-2020, 11:56 AM
Interesting to read all the great advice. I'm definately taking notes. Just got back from the southeast, hunted last Thurs thru yesterday. Our group had terrible results. Couldn't get them to talk at all for the first 3 days. In the mornings there'd be elk tracks over our tracks, so I knew we were being heard. We were out at the crack of dawn trying to take advantage of the cooler temps. Not sure if was the intense heat or the smoke but just couldn't locate animals that were obviously there. The smoke actually made the days cooler than the sunny, clear weather we had before it arrived. Moon should not have been a factor, as we think clear nights with full moons can negatively affect hunting.

Not sure if our experience last few days is like others' but it was terrible. We finally got a bull to call back a couple times yesterday but he quit answering after a couple despite being far enough away that I doubt he gathered his cows and split. I'm not the most experienced elk hunter out there but out group has had success in the 10 or 12 years we've been at it... although this is year 2 of camp skunk. :mad:
Elk hunting is a blast, but it comes with a lot of fails.
Like Niki Lauda (f1 driver said), you learn more from losing then you ever do from winning.
Thats Elk Hunting!!

Jagermonster
09-16-2020, 10:58 AM
Hey guys, so here’s a story for you. Been at it for three days and they’ve been super quiet. It was smoky and hot for the last three days. We’ve been working hard and putting in a lot of time; seen quite a bit of sign but they weren’t moving much. It cleared up a bit last night and cooled down overnight, so we headed out early again this morning and I finally got a bull to respond to my call (first bull to respond to me...EVER so I was super happy to hear that bugle back). I guesstimated he was about 400 yards out. I closed in the distance to about 250 yards and challenged him. I mirrored his calls as much as possible (thanks for this advice by some of you), and he came right in. I was in the tree line for some concealment and he eventually came out after talking to me for about 15 minutes.

The wind was perfect and he came out into a small clearing 85 yards from me. He was moving behind some small Christmas trees and I couldn’t see the front of his antlers. He had a nice big fork behind his royal tine but I couldn’t go based on that. It didn’t feel right to me and I certainly did not want to end up with a 5 point if he was missing a tine. He stood broadside at 85 yards for about 20 seconds, with the front of his antlers concealed behind the Christmas tree. I had his vitals in my scope and just needed him to move enough so I could count the first three points. He didn’t, and must’ve winded me. He walked back into the thick trees and I tried to call him back, he answered me while moving away but kept on going.

Part of me is devastated, and the other part is very satisfied that I did the right thing. I needed to count those 6 points and I couldn’t rely on the 2 points behind the royal tine. Mixed feelings and I’m a bit down, not gonna lie. At the end of the day, I am extremely happy I got to call in my first bull and get him within shooting range. The experience alone was worth every effort we’ve put in so far.

Thank you for all the advice, as it has really helped. Two days to go so fingers crossed!

bruce44
09-16-2020, 12:56 PM
Hey guys, so here’s a story for you. Been at it for three days and they’ve been super quiet. It was smoky and hot for the last three days. We’ve been working hard and putting in a lot of time; seen quite a bit of sign but they weren’t moving much. It cleared up a bit last night and cooled down overnight, so we headed out early again this morning and I finally got a bull to respond to my call (first bull to respond to me...EVER so I was super happy to hear that bugle back). I guesstimated he was about 400 yards out. I closed in the distance to about 250 yards and challenged him. I mirrored his calls as much as possible (thanks for this advice by some of you), and he came right in. I was in the tree line for some concealment and he eventually came out after talking to me for about 15 minutes.

The wind was perfect and he came out into a small clearing 85 yards from me. He was moving behind some small Christmas trees and I couldn’t see the front of his antlers. He had a nice big fork behind his royal tine but I couldn’t go based on that. It didn’t feel right to me and I certainly did not want to end up with a 5 point if he was missing a tine. He stood broadside at 85 yards for about 20 seconds, with the front of his antlers concealed behind the Christmas tree. I had his vitals in my scope and just needed him to move enough so I could count the first three points. He didn’t, and must’ve winded me. He walked back into the thick trees and I tried to call him back, he answered me while moving away but kept on going.

Part of me is devastated, and the other part is very satisfied that I did the right thing. I needed to count those 6 points and I couldn’t rely on the 2 points behind the royal tine. Mixed feelings and I’m a bit down, not gonna lie. At the end of the day, I am extremely happy I got to call in my first bull and get him within shooting range. The experience alone was worth every effort we’ve put in so far.

Thank you for all the advice, as it has really helped. Two days to go so fingers crossed! whenever I call an animal into a gunshot range, I consider it a success. The only thing that stopped you is the law, not your skills as a hunter.

Lionhill
09-16-2020, 02:12 PM
Great story. What region are you in that you're hearing a reply? It's been very quiet....

Thank you for all the advice, as it has really helped. Two days to go so fingers crossed!

Jagermonster
09-16-2020, 04:58 PM
Great story. What region are you in that you're hearing a reply? It's been very quiet....

Same here, very quiet except the bull this morning. Region 4, West Kootenays

dapesche
09-16-2020, 06:36 PM
I'm about to head out with some friends in the west koots starting this Friday. Hopefully we can find a dumb one with 6pts

Jagermonster
09-17-2020, 07:22 AM
I'm about to head out with some friends in the west koots starting this Friday. Hopefully we can find a dumb one with 6pts

Have fun out there and good luck!

dapesche
09-22-2020, 09:10 AM
Have fun out there and good luck!

Thanks. Managed to get it done with a friend.

http://imgur.com/gallery/kt5Aari

albravo2
09-22-2020, 09:15 AM
I signed up for Elk101 online and found it really helpful. Not just the calling but lots of valuable information in there.

butthead
09-24-2020, 08:25 PM
learned something there thanks

dapesche
09-25-2020, 06:39 AM
just posted this in another thread but it might be more applicable here...

It was quiet where we hunted. My friend and I got our 6 pt bull last Saturday. 14.5km day including approach, kill and packout. They were quiet and they were up high. We had to go get him. We found fresh sign and I speculated on where he was bedded. It was an hour hike through a basin and across scree to get into position for my first bugle. He answered right away.

He bugled and chuckled in response to my bugle and chuckle. We started towards him. 4 mins later it was another bugle and chuckle at him. I had concerns he was trying to gather cows and run so I ran at him to the ridge above him. Bugle, chuckle, rake. He seemed to hold up and was growly screaming back. We then dropped down into his bedding area. I stopped halfway down slope. Sent my partner another 1/4 way down the slope. Rake, bugle and chuckle. In came the bull and my buddy shot him at 10 yds. I was about 35-40 yds above him watching it all play out. EPIC!

Moral of the story. Find fresh sign. Develop a plan. Get to a spot where you can bugle that is different from the last 30 bugles he has heard from other people. If you get a reply you need to know what he is saying. Know if he is gathering and running or know if he is holding up. Pressure him. You don't need to bugle every 30 secs when you have him going.

Our bull was dead in about 15 mins from first bugle to last. I stopped in 4 different spots as we closed distance quickly.

Obviously not all situations are the same, but that's how mine played out. My bull last year was very similar, but I was making gathering/locating calls. I called from 3 different spots over a 15-20 min timeline. I heard him the night before and I copied his call. I actually ran away from him when I was calling as it sounded like I was gathering his cows. I killed that bull oct 19th at approx. 10 yds. He walked broadside in front of me facing downside off the FSR looking for the possible cows I was dragging away.

Be strategic. I haven't had a dumb one come in during peak rut with a hot cow where I just called and he ran at me. Looking forward to that day though. My 2 bulls have require me to be a bit more active.

this is the bull:

Jagermonster
10-01-2020, 12:42 PM
Thanks. Managed to get it done with a friend.

Congrats man!! That’s a beautiful bull. And the fun started after that pic was taken :mrgreen:

Jagermonster
10-01-2020, 12:44 PM
just posted this in another thread but it might be more applicable here...

It was quiet where we hunted. My friend and I got our 6 pt bull last Saturday. 14.5km day including approach, kill and packout. They were quiet and they were up high. We had to go get him. We found fresh sign and I speculated on where he was bedded. It was an hour hike through a basin and across scree to get into position for my first bugle. He answered right away.

He bugled and chuckled in response to my bugle and chuckle. We started towards him. 4 mins later it was another bugle and chuckle at him. I had concerns he was trying to gather cows and run so I ran at him to the ridge above him. Bugle, chuckle, rake. He seemed to hold up and was growly screaming back. We then dropped down into his bedding area. I stopped halfway down slope. Sent my partner another 1/4 way down the slope. Rake, bugle and chuckle. In came the bull and my buddy shot him at 10 yds. I was about 35-40 yds above him watching it all play out. EPIC!

Moral of the story. Find fresh sign. Develop a plan. Get to a spot where you can bugle that is different from the last 30 bugles he has heard from other people. If you get a reply you need to know what he is saying. Know if he is gathering and running or know if he is holding up. Pressure him. You don't need to bugle every 30 secs when you have him going.

Our bull was dead in about 15 mins from first bugle to last. I stopped in 4 different spots as we closed distance quickly.

Obviously not all situations are the same, but that's how mine played out. My bull last year was very similar, but I was making gathering/locating calls. I called from 3 different spots over a 15-20 min timeline. I heard him the night before and I copied his call. I actually ran away from him when I was calling as it sounded like I was gathering his cows. I killed that bull oct 19th at approx. 10 yds. He walked broadside in front of me facing downside off the FSR looking for the possible cows I was dragging away.

Be strategic. I haven't had a dumb one come in during peak rut with a hot cow where I just called and he ran at me. Looking forward to that day though. My 2 bulls have require me to be a bit more active.

this is the bull:

Thanks for the story!! Great job on going after him and getting it done. Hard when they’re quiet!!!

dapesche
10-01-2020, 02:06 PM
Congrats man!! That’s a beautiful bull. And the fun started after that pic was taken :mrgreen:

Thanks a lot! Managed to get another elk with my friend on Sunday. Another hard pack out. He was a big 8x7. Managed to pull him and his cow out of their bed right into my friend's crosshairs.

You are definitely right, the TYPE 2 fun started after the pics were taken. two hard packouts in 8 days was tough on the body!

LBM
10-01-2020, 06:27 PM
Thanks a lot! Managed to get another elk with my friend on Sunday. Another hard pack out. He was a big 8x7. Managed to pull him and his cow out of their bed right into my friend's crosshairs.

You are definitely right, the TYPE 2 fun started after the pics were taken. two hard packouts in 8 days was tough on the body!

The other bull is a beauty any pics of this one. Congrats

dapesche
10-01-2020, 07:45 PM
The other bull is a beauty any pics of this one. Congrats

Cheers.

Here is bull #2
8x7 https://imgur.com/gallery/4sY9PJ5

LBM
10-01-2020, 07:49 PM
Cheers.

Here is bull #2

Great bull congrats again to you and your buddys.

xlcc
10-02-2020, 07:44 AM
awesome bull!

Jagermonster
10-15-2020, 07:58 PM
Cheers.

Here is bull #2

Doesn’t get much better than that!! What a gorgeous bull, congrats man. That’s a successful season for you guys for sure :)

100milehousehunter
10-16-2020, 03:58 AM
Great bull

HarryToolips
10-16-2020, 06:35 AM
Great bulls there dapesche......sincere congrats!

dapesche
10-16-2020, 12:46 PM
thank you. Pretty fortunate this season. Hopefully my luck continues!

Bugle M In
10-17-2020, 09:51 AM
Yup, nice bulls!
Congrats to you and your hunting partners.

dapesche
10-17-2020, 10:10 AM
First bull was the bull on its side. Was my friends first ever animal. Got to watch him from about 2oyds away.

Second bull was a giant and my new hunting partner's first bull in 5 yrs as he is always a called.

Just stoked to be part of a successful hunt! Although the second bull would've looked awesome on my wall ��

browningboy
10-18-2020, 07:22 AM
Just got back from my elk hunt, only heard a few bugles but heard way more cows chirping, and they were not loud, less quiet than a hoochie mama

Bugle M In
10-18-2020, 12:41 PM
Just got back from my elk hunt, only heard a few bugles but heard way more cows chirping, and they were not loud, less quiet than a hoochie mama
Yup, then can be.
But. it also depends on the terrain from which they call.
In tight timber etc, it is quiet.
But, get them in a bowl, and even from hundreds of yards away, it can seem reasonably loud.
Mostly due to acoustics.

But yes, they mew/chirp quite quietly!

Also, if you had cows chirping, you may of had a reasonable bull in there as well!
They can stay quiet while closing the distance on you, and then suddenly roar once he is in between you and his cows etc.