PDA

View Full Version : Santa Rosa Road?

Jagermeister
09-01-2020, 04:28 PM
I haven’t travelled this road in eons.
What is the condition of the road? Is it still a through road?

swampthing
09-01-2020, 05:48 PM
I hunted that road in the early 90s! Havent been back since.

REMINGTON JIM
09-01-2020, 06:55 PM
Looks like it might be a Fun Drive thru there ? :wink: RJ

Hank Hunter
09-01-2020, 07:03 PM
It is still a through road from Christina Lake to trail. No problem in the summer/fall, but can be busy with log hauling.

dakoda62
09-02-2020, 06:34 AM
Doable but alot of heavy equipment and logging.

ACE
09-02-2020, 06:59 AM
It was somewhat a goat trail last time I was on it. An adventure decades ago.

dapesche
09-02-2020, 07:52 AM
Looks like a beauty spot but logging seems to make elk disappear.

Around nelson I had elk evaporate when they started logging around my spot.

So if there is logging I'd look elsewhere.

I had my 2019 season turned upside down when I went into my spot and there was zero sign. Drove the roads and found that they had been logging on the other side of the ridge.

GEF
09-02-2020, 04:00 PM
I watch a feller buncher surrounded by elk, they would devour all of the old mans beard off of the felled trees.Bow hunters got 3 bulls from that clearcut .I got one about a km away from the work area.Saw several more .I guess it all depends.They were logging 24 -7

REMINGTON JIM
09-02-2020, 05:50 PM
It was somewhat a goat trail last time I was on it. An adventure decades ago.

Never make it in a Old Fargo ! lol RJ

slowjo
09-03-2020, 02:37 PM
from rossland to santa rosa rec site the road is in good shape and is busy with logging trucks and local traffic. road is not great west of there to christina, especially in foul weather or with a trailer/load.

longwalk
09-03-2020, 04:07 PM
Drove it a month ago. They weren’t hauling on it at that point. Some commercial traffic though as the were laying down high speed internet cables.

dapesche
09-04-2020, 05:46 AM
I watch a feller buncher surrounded by elk, they would devour all of the old mans beard off of the felled trees.Bow hunters got 3 bulls from that clearcut .I got one about a km away from the work area.Saw several more .I guess it all depends.They were logging 24 -7

Interesting. that's good to know as I've been avoid fresh cuts after what happened last year. thanks for sharing.

Linksman313
09-04-2020, 12:59 PM
Hey Jag,
Take the powerline road out off Santa Rosa from the Lake side going to the south east if you have a truck with some weight, many opportunities along the right of way. Santa Rosa main is a dusty busy road with tons of logging activity and oh yeah all the Albertans from the lake who haven't left the province yet. Good luck, harvested many an animal up there over the years including last, lots of great shady pockets and elevated wet areas to check out. If you plan on staying in Christina Lake there is a good Elk opportunity between Fife and Santa Rosa, I have worn out 3 sets of boots trying to catch up or suck in herd many times, they seem to travel back and forth from the Fife side to Trout main on the Santa Rosa side with water right in the middle. Good luck and PM for more info