PDA

View Full Version : Waterfowl pre-season...

Beachcomber
08-31-2020, 10:06 PM
Starting to see little groups around, getting a bit cooler in the evenings (maybe just me). Was in the marsh last weekend, wind blowing...almost time.

This season I am trying to get my act together a bit earlier so I can load up and go when the bell rings. I know I have precious few days to hunt with work, the kids' weekend sports schedule and the endless honeydew list, so don't want to waste time in October doing what I can do now.

So, I have got my outboard rebuilt, bought a new (old) gun for the boy yesterday, and finished glassing an old punt I have been meaning to get done for about 3 years. Still need to touch up a few spots that didn't go as planned, but should be painted next weekend - or the one after that. Camo job to follow. Might even post pics when it is done given I am this organized.

Anyone else getting ready and fired up for ducks? Or am I early for once?

silveragent
09-01-2020, 08:29 AM
Well goose opens up on the long weekend so you could use that as 'training camp' or you can treat that for real since Canada goose is nice eating. I'll be out this weekend one of the three days for sure.

A buddy of mine got a boat and so before duck season we're going to make a boat blind.

Also not too late to pattern your shotty and work out any rust in machine or human.

BowsUp
09-01-2020, 11:26 AM
Grouse opened today and springs still good in the chuck. Beach fishing for coho, mushrooms, deer, it is that magical time of the year. Hard to fit it all in and I'm retired.

Decoys painted at the end of last season so it's scouting and figuring out new locations for me.

rbduck
09-01-2020, 07:57 PM
Waterfowl opened here today. Hearing mixed reports, good and bad.

Ron

Steelpulse
09-01-2020, 08:10 PM
Painting a whole bunch of canvas back magnums as scoters for some winter gulf island sea duck hunting. Very excited

pnbrock
09-01-2020, 08:21 PM
We were talking about some sea. Bird hunting this year aswel. Please post up decoys when done.

Beachcomber
09-01-2020, 10:22 PM
Painting a whole bunch of canvas back magnums as scoters for some winter gulf island sea duck hunting. Very excited

X2 on the decoy pics. Please let us see the finished product

Steelpulse
09-01-2020, 10:59 PM
I have a place on hornby. Taking the boys out for a sea duck hunt this January. Lots weather. Lots of cool ducks.

silveragent
09-02-2020, 07:21 AM
I love Hornby island. Used to spend a week or two there every winter and summer when I was dating a woman there. I always wondered if they allowed an archery cull of the deer.

Beachcomber
09-02-2020, 08:53 AM
I have a place on hornby. Taking the boys out for a sea duck hunt this January. Lots weather. Lots of cool ducks.

Without wanting to pry in to secret spot, can you you say where you set up there? Trying to picture where to sea duck hunt around the island.

Bubbacanuck
09-02-2020, 09:03 AM
Goose opens here on Saturday. Going to take the boat to an island I know of on Friday night and camp overnight, so I can get into the blind well before sun up. Going to be sunny & hot, so likely a short morning of hunting but happy to just get out. Hopefully I'm able to come home with a honker :) I touched up all the paint on my floater goose decoys already, spread of 19 should hopefully get them coming in. One thing I am still hoping to try for this year is the Brant season in March!! Been thinking about it for the last 6 months haha. Good luck to everyone out there!

Steelpulse
09-02-2020, 09:15 AM
Without wanting to pry in to secret spot, can you you say where you set up there? Trying to picture where to sea duck hunt around the island.

any gulf island has lots of ducks available to pass shoot right off shore. Add a small tin boat and some decoys and your in business anchored just about anywhere.

Steelpulse
09-02-2020, 09:17 AM
I love Hornby island. Used to spend a week or two there every winter and summer when I was dating a woman there. I always wondered if they allowed an archery cull of the deer.
No archery Deer hunt that I know off. Tons of deer, had a few fawns bedding in the corner of the lawn last week, 10am regulars at the apple trees daily with the doe as well. I’m finding deer access to be difficult as far as private goes and crown land is minimal

silveragent
09-02-2020, 09:20 AM
It really is such a small island so I wouldn't expect much. You wouldn't want to put a bullet through someone's pottery studio and break some crockery that was going to sell in Granville Island for thousands of dollars now.

Those deer are ultra tame. You could hunt them with a rock if that were legal.

Steelpulse
09-02-2020, 10:18 AM
It really is such a small island so I wouldn't expect much. You wouldn't want to put a bullet through someone's pottery studio and break some crockery that was going to sell in Granville Island for thousands of dollars now.

Those deer are ultra tame. You could hunt them with a rock if that were legal.

I just want to shoot one to do it. My main focus is mule deer interior. I’ll use a shotgun It’s an only shotgun zone or archery for that reason I believe. but there are some large properties I am working on access too.

Beachcomber
10-04-2020, 06:42 PM
Put up a tonne of ducks in the outer marsh today. Came home and put the final coat on my restored punt. Think it is going to be a great season. Look forward to reports next weekend...

Also, ran in to a couple of kayakers out there today and they told me about an app, Predict Wind. I just downloaded it and think it might be useful to augment the other sites I look at before going out. Free too.