PDA

View Full Version : Bear problem...

BCHunterFSJ
08-28-2020, 08:49 PM
Here's a question for you guys...
I have recently lost 3 ground blinds to bears.
At $200 - $300 per blind, things are getting out of hand!
Does anyone know of anything (not counting a .338 bullet) that will deter / repel / scare away bears?
Any ideas will be really appreciated!
Thanks...

Rieber
08-28-2020, 09:04 PM
A bigger bear should send him along.

Walmart has a product called Bear-B-Gone, could ask them for that.

Take your hunting boots off and walk around your blind a few times in your socks. The scent will turn them off.

You can use skunk scent sprayed on the blind fabric.

Put the blind in a tree.

These are just ideas - how do you appreciate me now?

I don't know what you can do because anything you use as a deterrent will certainly drive off deer as well. You'll have to move the blinds or shoot the bear.

VLD43
08-28-2020, 09:07 PM
Don't know if these would help but one possible solution. https://www.cabelas.ca/product/98388/lightfield-rubber-slug

Rieber
08-28-2020, 09:17 PM
Don't know if these would help but one possible solution. https://www.cabelas.ca/product/98388/lightfield-rubber-slug

Isn't that an intent to harm? And you'll scare the deer. You put your blind in the bear's territory and he doesn't like it.

HarryToolips
08-28-2020, 09:39 PM
Tie bear spray to a tree, and wrap it in bacon....

VLD43
08-28-2020, 09:43 PM
Isn't that an intent to harm? And you'll scare the deer. You put your blind in the bear's territory and he doesn't like it.

Good question. I guess you would have to ask the people who use them to scare bears off at some of the industrial camps or the guys who use them to dissuade polar bears in some northern towns. I know that under certain circumstances I would have no problem using them. Think Grizzly showing up in your camp late at night.

huntingfamily
08-29-2020, 10:25 AM
The bear(s) need to be hazed out of the area so they are not comfortable being there.
Google bear hazing if you don't want to or can't clip a tag...

604Stalker
08-29-2020, 11:58 AM
Only works till the rain hits hard but I have spread cyanne pepper around my garden both as a spray and dry bears come node down grubbing they will get a whif and dink off post haste ..wouldnt recomend rubber slugs but they wont harm a bear much past agravaiting it

hawk-i
08-29-2020, 01:13 PM
Why not take your blinds with you when you leave, they only take minutes to set up?

Huevos
08-29-2020, 10:02 PM
Yup, they are portable for a reason. Either take it with, or hang it high in a tree. Or the other thing you can do is wait until the bears are in bed. Third week in October usually. After that, you should be good.

BCHunterFSJ
08-29-2020, 10:42 PM
Some good ldeas...
Thanks!
Will try Pinesol this week...

r106
08-29-2020, 11:02 PM
Is making a ground blind from natural material an option, branches ect an option? Maybe throw some burlap over it At least it wont cost you much $$ ??

nelsonob1
08-30-2020, 07:27 AM
Have you considered getting a bear tag? CO would have a hard time claiming that the blind was bait.

WelderGuy
08-30-2020, 09:27 AM
Good question. I guess you would have to ask the people who use them to scare bears off at some of the industrial camps or the guys who use them to dissuade polar bears in some northern towns. I know that under certain circumstances I would have no problem using them. Think Grizzly showing up in your camp late at night.

Rubber Slugs are considered wildlife harrassment by CO's,,I do this for a living, and we are not allowed to use them,,shock rounds are okay,,,,no projectile

Downtown
08-30-2020, 09:40 AM
Electric Fence keeps anything off including Black & Grizzly Bears, just more Gear to lug around.
Btw. no more needed Fiberglass 3/8" Tent poles make excellent electric Fence posts. Small ATV Battery supplies ample power.

Cheers

WelderGuy
08-30-2020, 09:42 AM
Margo Supplies in Alberta has the best electric fences that Ive found

Hugh Mann
08-30-2020, 12:15 PM
How about a .45 bullet, if not a .338? Usually disuades them pretty quickly I find.

Joke aside, seems like there's pretty good suggestions. I too have heard cayenne pepper is a pretty good deterrent.

weatherby_man
08-30-2020, 12:57 PM
Bear in mind there are a few methods described but you may need to be the bearer of bad news for that bruin and dispatch him....

VLD43
08-30-2020, 02:05 PM
Rubber Slugs are considered wildlife harrassment by CO's,,I do this for a living, and we are not allowed to use them,,shock rounds are okay,,,,no projectile

Thanks for the info. Did not know this.

walks with deer
08-30-2020, 02:15 PM
not legall but what about a blunt on a arrow...

i found most hazing doesnt work and at my house on the farm for my neighbours and i its normally a 250 grain accoubond going 2900 fps works the best then the knives come out.

Tred
08-31-2020, 01:04 PM
I don't have any constructive or semi joke methods that have not already been proposed, but I am looking forward to hopefully reading an update.

tigrr
08-31-2020, 08:10 PM
Drink lots of coffee or tea(or beer) before you go in to set it up. Water things around the blind till you run out. Don't laugh it works. I have seen trail cam evidence to prove it. Bears don't like your urine. Their sense of smell is 400 times greater than yours.