PDA

View Full Version : South Chilcotin Mountains Provincial Park

aamenta
08-25-2020, 10:06 AM
Hey!

I am looking for some knowledge on the area. I have a few questions that I would like to ask.
I will not be asking where to hunt, more about the area and what to expect.

Is it busy with mountain bikers in the first week of September?
Have you ran into Grizzlies often when you hunted here?
Any tips on where to setup camp in the alpine? Tuck into the trees or stay more in the open?
How's the water situation? I tried using google maps to find water sources but it's hard as the photos don't give a lot of information because of the time they were taken. (hoping there will be some standing water left over from the melted snow)
I am new to September Mule Deer alpine hunting, which facing slopes should I focus on in the morning and evening. It should be pretty warm during the day so I will assume North facing slopes during the afternoon.

I'm going in blind but excited to see the country for my first time. Thanks in advance for anyone who's able to help.

If you're comfortable with discussing the area in more detail, please leave me a comment and I will send you a Direct Message.

Eva_Hunts
08-25-2020, 01:48 PM
Love it up there, it's insanely beautiful. I'm no expert, but I've hunted that country a bunch in September over the last handful of years.
Yes there are bikers and hikers around the first few weeks of Sept, but maybe not where you'll find yourself. Double check your plan against an app like trailforks to assess trail locations.
Yes to grizzlies, lots.
Lot's of water in general, but be strategic about where you're camping to ensure access to water without a long hike. Water can be harder to come by in the alpine unless yr near a cirque.
If it's a hot year, deer tend to be in the trees until that last light. if mild, they'll be feeding where the feed is (any facing slope). Low to high country, I've seen deer everywhere in the chilcotins.
I've found that keen hunters find their deer before opener and usually have them down on opening morning...

Best tip I can give > call the local bio for insight specific to this year.

Enjoy!

aamenta
08-25-2020, 02:46 PM
Wonderful, thank you for your reply!

GoOutside
08-25-2020, 10:15 PM
If you're going to be using any of the main trails i would bank on seeing lots of peope, especially this year. There are definitely a lot of grizzlies some guy got mauled up there a week ago. The trail forks app will definitely be helpful. Good luck!

aamenta
08-25-2020, 10:54 PM
Thanks for the reply! Yes Trailforks has been a great help. Will use it to get to the alpine then branch off away from people, Just picked up a last minute friend so we feel better having three of us going up now. That poor guy was lucky his helmet saved him. The Grizzly had cubs so my guess is they startled her by mistake since they were on bikes.

I was going to take my bike up but honestly, Im just going to hike. I don't want a similar encounter

Rampager
08-25-2020, 11:08 PM
I can't answer your questions specifically but will say if you don't have this map I would highly recommend it for exploring the SCM area:

https://trailventuresbc.com/product/southern-chilcotin/

aamenta
08-26-2020, 09:16 AM
Oh, I will have to pick that up.
Thanks for sharing that

whitlers
08-26-2020, 09:51 AM
Lots of bears up there but just be alert and you should be fine. Lots of mountain bikers too on the main trails so be careful hiking up. Water usually isn't an issue up there. There are a few small springs and they were flowing good when we went in 28* weather a few years ago around the same time. I would tuck your camp into the tree line or shrubs/rocks if you want to stay higher.

Stunning area. You will have a blast! I was going to head up but we chose a different area this year.

Good luck!

BCBigGame
08-27-2020, 10:07 AM
Up there 2 years ago Sept 10. Saw 2 other hunter groups one set of men bikers. Snowed 3” third night. Lots of deer but nothing worth the 20+ mile hike. 2 griz 100 yards from camp but no incidents. Always see grizzly in alpine, only lost partial deer to one.

swampthing
08-27-2020, 06:15 PM
Beauty country to hunt in early september. Expect to see other hunters/bikers/4x4ers. I like to camp a little more hidden but still within distance to get into the alpine before first light. My best luck has be right at treeline on any side of the mountain. And yes you will get to scare the crap outa some gzizz. I like to go a couple days early to "tie one up". It usually cools off pretty good at night to cool meat down. Water is usually fairly accessible. Have a great trip!

aamenta
08-28-2020, 01:25 PM
Thanks for all the messages and feedback.
Super excited for this hunt.

Downtown
08-28-2020, 05:06 PM
Chilton.............Nowhere else in my travels did I found so many obviously stolen Vehicles parted out in the Bush. Best to have someone watching Camp and Vehicles while you are out hunting.

Cheers

whitlers
08-28-2020, 05:33 PM
Chilton.............Nowhere else in my travels did I found so many obviously stolen Vehicles parted out in the Bush. Best to have someone watching Camp and Vehicles while you are out hunting.

Cheers

Oddd. Never seen anything like this in the South Chilcoltin. Maybe further north closer to Nemiaha Valley. Never had an issue leaving camp or vehicle's around Gold Bridge.

aamenta
09-09-2020, 07:52 AM
Beautiful country. Had an awesome trip but no 4 point. Saw one 3 point and lots of other deer. No griz but talked to a mountain biker who was charged and used a bear banger. Lots of people up there and the heat was insane. Full moon didn’t help either. Deer bedded all day and didn’t move. There was a 1-2 hour window, in some situations way less to see deer at first light then it was dead all day and nothing at last light.

I’ll head up again in the future because the view alone is worth it.

aamenta
09-09-2020, 07:56 AM
https://i.ibb.co/Fgdc2Ym/5-CB67099-B128-4685-8-FE5-D99511-BC68-A6.jpg (https://ibb.co/3BPV2F4)

Mark-R
09-09-2020, 11:03 AM
I chatted with a few hunters around there, maybe you too?
We spent the week chasing the only barely legal 4x3.
After playing cat and mouse for several days, we glassed one morning too close to a basin, was negligent with the wind and watched him trot out of there for good. Never saw him again.
Very low activity with weather and moon.
And that windy cold front Sunday night to Monday just shut everything down and almost blow us off the mountain.
The neighboring camp had to re-stake their tent at 3am.

Last morning while packing up, we headed over to the stream to filter water one last time.
Suddenly less than 100 yards from us a lone grizzly is traversing the slope. Rifle & bear spray were 50 yards away.
We quickly shuffle back to our gear while he keeps glancing at us but keeping on his direction.
We watched him on his way crest over the ridge and disappear.
Great way to end a beautiful week.
That's 8 grizzlies so far this year!

markathome
09-11-2020, 11:45 AM
I was up on the long weekend too and while it was busy - it wasn't over the top especially in the areas edging the park. Spotted up a bunch of bedded does, one buck (made a play but no dice) and got false charged by a black bear - he wasn't phased at all about my warning shot spraying gravel in his face and didn't leave until he got bored?

Lots of friendly bikers - seems like bike-packing is really taking off in the north end of the park especially. Moon and heat didn't really help things that's for sure.

Also if the two young hunters in the black Tacoma my partner (Bridget) and I met at the trail head are on here - please get in touch, it's important we catch up.

(6oh4) 815-9678 or email mark_r@telusdotnet

BowRunner
09-14-2020, 06:49 PM
Love that area. Haven't been for a few years but there were goats, mulies, bears, grouse, cougar, and awesome vistas.

Husky7mm
09-15-2020, 11:12 AM
Went in for a week with the outfitter on horse back , what beautiful country. Was my first guided trip. Glassed for 6 days straight from a lot of great vantage points. Did not see a lot of bucks. Just one good one but he gave us the slip on the stalk and was not seen again. The view was worth the price, would have liked to see more bucks. It would be a challenge to walk in as far as we rode.