PDA

View Full Version : Hunting Boots Breakdown.

starbuck
08-25-2020, 09:15 AM
Hey Everyone. Don't post here often but I need some advice. In the last three years Ive really tried to get into a pair of boots that are comfortable and don't leak.

Three years ago I bought Cabelas Mendls, last year I bought Scarpa Kinesis Pro GTXs, and this year Ive tried La Sportiva Trango TRK. All three were goretex and all three have leaked. The Scarpas, Goretex re-embursed me for, the Cabelas I'm just holding on to cause I need something to hike in, and the LS I'm in the works of getting worked out.

Im going to go all out this time. Does anyone know about how Goretex is sewn into a boot, there must be different thicknesses and ways they are sewn in. I want to invest in a pair that will work for me. I feel like I take care of them but not sure which boot to move forward with. Your comments and suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

cameron0518
08-25-2020, 09:27 AM
Surprised to hear about the Meindl's. I love mine. Lots of guys swear by Hanwags on here. I wouldn't hesitate to look at them for my next pair.

Fella
08-25-2020, 10:07 AM
I use Lowa Tibets and they keep my feet bone dry here on rainy Vancouver island

08-25-2020, 10:23 AM
Surprised to hear about the Meindl's. I love mine. Lots of guys swear by Hanwags on here. I wouldn't hesitate to look at them for my next pair.

I am on my third set in Meindl Island Pros. After about 5-7 years of hard use, one pair leaked. Overall great boots

goatdancer
08-25-2020, 10:58 AM
I've used Meindls for a long time and have never had any leakage. They require proper maintenance though, just like other high quality boots.

stoneramhunter
08-25-2020, 11:34 AM
My la sportiva evo boots are great . I’ve also had scarpa and miendel boots. The scarpa were ok the Meindels were garbage for sheep hunting. To soft no stiff shank and since the company sold and made in China quality has gone down. I travelled approx 55 miles with my la sportiva evos and never had an issue. As a note I hunt mostly for sheep so the boots are pushed to the max.

AK-47
08-25-2020, 11:39 AM
Haix mountain boots 15 years . No leaks

Linksman313
08-25-2020, 12:22 PM
Do you condition your boots?, 3 years with Danner pronghorn in the dusty southern interior/snowy fall and no complaints/leaks, dried and conditioned every 3 hunt days and still going strong.

Hunterguy
08-25-2020, 12:56 PM
Elk trackers, had them for years and never a problem. It’s like anything after use you have to take care of them. A sewn sole, no glue is also a must I figure.

Sportster
08-25-2020, 01:08 PM
Kenetrek boots, based out of PG.

Jagermeister
08-25-2020, 02:02 PM
Like these.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/thumbs/GEGR.jpg

russm86
08-25-2020, 02:18 PM
I have Lowa Tibets as well, no leaks yet, probably going on 5 or 6 years old now. I condition with Obenaufs yearly. I would like to try Scarpa or Crispi next. Have heard good things about Hanwags as well but didn't fit me as I have quite narrow feet and over pronate.

bcsteve
08-25-2020, 02:33 PM
The scarpa were ok the Meindels were garbage for sheep hunting. To soft no stiff shank and since the company sold and made in China quality has gone down.

Source about Meindl?

Keta1969
08-25-2020, 03:43 PM
Source about Meindl?

Likewise I'd like to know. Far as I can tell from the Web they are made in Bavaria, Germany. Unless something changed real recently. Last year for my Kenetreks and back to Meindl for me.

Citori54
08-25-2020, 09:41 PM
I have never had a problem with my Scarpas leaking including an island elk hunt in days of pouring rain near Zeballos.

NChunter
08-25-2020, 10:04 PM
I have scarpa sl active almost the same as the kinesis I believe minus the gore tex. I treat them with obenaufs and have had no water problems in lots of wet conditions.

twoSevenO
08-25-2020, 10:25 PM
Gore tex is not sewn in. Goretex itself is laminated into a "sock-shaped" liner which is then inserted between the boot layers. Between the outer leather and the inner lining.

I have noticed a few times that I get wet feet in snow/rain and sometimes stay bone dry in comparable conditions.

I'm 99% certain that my boots are not leaking and that the problem is water getting under my gaiters and wicking into the boot via the pants socks.

I'm willing to bet money something like this is your problem as well and not that all 3 of those are leaking when they are brand new. That is just highly unlikely.

RyoTHC
08-25-2020, 11:18 PM
Hey Everyone. Don't post here often but I need some advice. In the last three years Ive really tried to get into a pair of boots that are comfortable and don't leak.

Three years ago I bought Cabelas Mendls, last year I bought Scarpa Kinesis Pro GTXs, and this year Ive tried La Sportiva Trango TRK. All three were goretex and all three have leaked. The Scarpas, Goretex re-embursed me for, the Cabelas I'm just holding on to cause I need something to hike in, and the LS I'm in the works of getting worked out.

Im going to go all out this time. Does anyone know about how Goretex is sewn into a boot, there must be different thicknesses and ways they are sewn in. I want to invest in a pair that will work for me. I feel like I take care of them but not sure which boot to move forward with. Your comments and suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Zamberlan Tofane... I walk through ankle deep water constantly and feet never get wet. You can thank me later.

oh they are also extremely comfortable.

Ride Red
08-26-2020, 06:20 AM
Kenetrek boots, based out of PG.

Me too. 5 years on this pair and still going strong. Out on Saturday for a tour and crossing the creek in ankle deep water back/forth; still dry feet. I keep my boots conditioned with Kenetreks wax; apply liberally and use a hair dryer.

JoeSixPack
08-26-2020, 07:43 AM
Lots of different manufacturers of high end boots. There's gonna be lots of opinions, as everyone's feet are shaped differently. Currently running Crispi Guide GTX for last couple of seasons, will likely get another pair when these ones eventually wear out.

jlirot
08-26-2020, 08:25 AM
No boot expert here. I LOVE my LL Bean Cresta's (leather). They didn't even need broken in. Comfortable from the first day.

One question - did you treat your boots with waterproofing? I remember being told that you can't use silicon waterproofing on Goretex. Supposedly it ruins the Goretex. Not sure if it's true but was told so years ago.

So, I get leather boots (they do have a layer of gore-tex) and waterproof them a couple times a year. I do like Obenauf's - learned about it on HBC actually.

twoSevenO
08-26-2020, 09:49 AM
No boot expert here. I LOVE my LL Bean Cresta's (leather). They didn't even need broken in. Comfortable from the first day.

One question - did you treat your boots with waterproofing? I remember being told that you can't use silicon waterproofing on Goretex. Supposedly it ruins the Goretex. Not sure if it's true but was told so years ago.

So, I get leather boots (they do have a layer of gore-tex) and waterproof them a couple times a year. I do like Obenauf's - learned about it on HBC actually.

Obenaufs is for old farts who had nothing else available back in the 60s.

There are better alternatives nowdays that maintain breathability.

Beware that anything you put on your boots will basically darken them considerably and change the look, if that's important to you.

lakelander
08-26-2020, 11:31 AM
I just bought Vasque St Elias for $160. Leather and Goretex. Super comfortable.

jlirot
08-26-2020, 12:02 PM

Beware that anything you put on your boots will basically darken them considerably and change the look, if that's important to you.

So - what do you suggest that doesn't limit breathability? I'm not quite an old fart - my kids may disagree.

Ride Red
08-26-2020, 12:52 PM

And those would be??????

whitlers
08-26-2020, 02:47 PM
And those would be??????

I have been using natural Beeswax with good results on my Hanwags. I used the Hanwag house brand before but now onto Grangers G-Wax. Made in England...Seems to do the trick.

Ride Red
08-26-2020, 03:45 PM
I have been using natural Beeswax with good results on my Hanwags. I used the Hanwag house brand before but now onto Grangers G-Wax. Made in England...Seems to do the trick.

Used to use bees wax too, but Kenetreks protectant has some natural oils in it(as well as bees wax) and I find it is tougher/lasts longer.

bcsteve
08-26-2020, 05:32 PM

It came out in 1986.

digger dogger
08-27-2020, 06:15 AM

Ive used it for over 10 yrs, it works fantastic.
The only wetness in my boots is sweat, and lots of it!

Citori54
08-27-2020, 08:34 AM
Me too. 5 years on this pair and still going strong. Out on Saturday for a tour and crossing the creek in ankle deep water back/forth; still dry feet. I keep my boots conditioned with Kenetreks wax; apply liberally and use a hair dryer.

I would caution you about using heat on your boots. Watch the video below from Kenetrek on waxing boots. He recommends against using heat on your boots.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jCPCR3-M2iI

jlirot
08-27-2020, 08:40 AM
That's the point of goretex. It's supposed to let the sweat out and keep you dry at the same time.

twoSevenO
08-27-2020, 09:09 AM

Yeah, you know why? Because that obenauf's stuff has clogged the leather pores and your boots can't breathe! So all your sweat is staying trapped inside the boot

2tins
08-27-2020, 09:51 AM
Lowa Tibet Pro GTX. Best boots EVER.

Mark-R
08-27-2020, 02:10 PM
good explanation of beeswax vs other waterproofers:

http://www.atsko.com/boot-care/

Citori54
08-27-2020, 02:15 PM
Yeah, you know why? Because that obenauf's stuff has clogged the leather pores and your boots can't breathe! So all your sweat is staying trapped inside the boot

Bingo!! I was told long ago that Obenauf's was great for non- gortex leather boots but not to use with gortex. I only use Obenauf's accordingly and it is great for that purpose.

jlirot
08-27-2020, 02:45 PM
So back to the question :-) What do you use with goretex? I recognize that the obenaufs now doesn't let my boots breath. But, in the future I'd like to try something else.

personally, i'm not sure how much ANY leather boot can really breath and that's why I went with the obenauf. but, i'm curious what is recommended.

Bingo!! I was told long ago that Obenauf's was great for non- gortex leather boots but not to use with gortex. I only use Obenauf's accordingly and it is great for that purpose.

twoSevenO
08-27-2020, 03:16 PM
So back to the question :-) What do you use with goretex? I recognize that the obenaufs now doesn't let my boots breath. But, in the future I'd like to try something else.

personally, i'm not sure how much ANY leather boot can really breath and that's why I went with the obenauf. but, i'm curious what is recommended.

This is just what *I* do: nothing.
I do not treat my boots. The way i look at it -> If i treat my boots, they are now not breathable and i'm trapping in sweat 100% of the time.
if i'm hiking in rain/snow and they get waterlogged on the outside, i am again ruining the breathability, but that is LESS than 100% of the time! So i'll take any percentage under 100 over a guranteed 100.

So i opt out of it. If your boots are cracking/deteriorating and need some life brought back into them, then yes, of course you should treat them to keep them alive. The way i dry my boots it hasn't been an issue, yet.

Gore-text itself isn't very breathable, you're right. Stuffed inside a boot, even less so. But it does make a difference. I know for a fact when the outside of my boots is water logged from hiking in rain/snow that my feet get more sweaty. Same happens with waxing/oiling them. Over the course of a 12 hr day, it becomes noticeable.

You have to remember, there are plenty of gore-tex boots out there that you CANNOT oil/wax. Ones like below. And what do those people do? Either nothing or spray them with the repellent stuff for tennis shoes, but that does not last. I've tried it on my own boots and its gone after 1 long hike.

https://fgl.scene7.com/is/image/atmosphere/FGL_332593716_04_a?wid=800&hei=800&bgColor=0,0,0,0&fmt=png-alpha&resMode=sharp2&op_sharpen=1

Citori54
08-27-2020, 08:17 PM
Kenetrek boot wax if you can get it, Red Wing makes a good product for gortex boots, Nikwax is recommended for gortex

weatherbyjunkie
08-27-2020, 09:43 PM
Kenetrek boot wax if you can get it, Red Wing makes a good product for gortex boots, Nikwax is recommended for gortex

I swear by the red wing products for gortex boots. I have a pair of Hanwag boots that are a few years old and love them,I’ve also got Danners and am happy with those.

digger dogger
08-28-2020, 02:30 PM
That's the point of goretex. It's supposed to let the sweat out and keep you dry at the same time.

Hahahahaha, spoken like a real know it all!
Do you sweat in a goretex jacket/pants?
I’m assuming your feet don’t sweat, or you don’t really get off the beaten track on foot.
Again, assuming we sweat at different rate.

digger dogger
08-28-2020, 02:38 PM

I now have scarpa leather gtx or something like that, scarpas for sure.
I didn’t treat them for the first two seasons, once water was getting saturated into the leather, I treated them.
I haven’t noticed any difference in how soggy my feet are at the end of the day.
It wears out like bees wax, nikwax, etc.

I do sweat excessively when hiking/hunting.