PDA

View Full Version : Was He Legal? Stone Sheep in BC 2020

buckdynasty
08-24-2020, 07:40 PM
The fall hunts are here! Here’s part 1 of a stone sheep hunt with my brother, the first two days had us on rams.

One of the rams on Day 1 had us excited. It’s safe to say aging a stone sheep can certainly be hard on the nerves. Hopefully we can have some good healthy debate on what the ram’s true age was. Having spent hundreds of hours myself studying the topic, and by no means considering myself an expert in any way, in my opinion I would say it is an imperfect science. To use this as a standard of determining legality is certainly something to be discussed in itself.

All that aside, I hope you enjoy this video, and I’ll see you on the mountain.

James

http://youtu.be/KQF17SYtpCQ

jac
08-24-2020, 09:20 PM
Cool video looking forward to the next 5 days !

srupp
08-24-2020, 10:42 PM
Wow extreme quality video...no camera shake..no out of focus..phenomenal sound quality..impressive editing to tell your story..coherent..enjoyable. .well done Gents..your approach to sheep hunting your thought process all far beyond your years.
Truly enjoyed the entire narrative..a pleasure to be invited along.
The ram..no..but for many reasons beyond your assessment. .if in doubt walk away..your statement about no 2 biologists would age it differently is so absolutely true..their social grouping and interaction also tells a story..
The entire video told YOUR story..known by all in the mountains..
Lol the huite" cousine"..warmed jerky" smoked over the fire..sheer brilliance.
Thank you for perhaps the best addition on HBC in 2020 so far.
Cheers
Srupp

Jrax
08-25-2020, 08:17 AM
Guys great video, thanks, and looks like you guys made the right call in letting him walk. Cant see the rings or base well enough to make a call but looks like maybe a 7.5 year old and a ways off full curl. Next year!

oddsix
08-25-2020, 08:33 AM
Awesome video, thank you for sharing.

lowball
08-25-2020, 08:55 AM
Wow extreme quality video...no camera shake..no out of focus..phenomenal sound quality..impressive editing to tell your story..coherent..enjoyable. .well done Gents..your approach to sheep hunting your thought process all far beyond your years.
The ram..no..but for many reasons beyond your assessment. .if in doubt walk away..your statement about no 2 biologists would age it differently is so absolutely true..their social grouping and interaction also tells a story..
Cheers
Srupp
Great video for sure. No doubt, and a excellent response. I am sure they appreciate it as much I did.

Bubbacanuck
08-25-2020, 10:51 AM
Good for you guys, looks like a hell of a hunt. Congrats on an amazing experience and I think you made the right call. Better to air on the side of caution than take an illegal ram. Best of luck for the remainder of your hunting season.

Tuffcity
08-25-2020, 12:03 PM
FWIW I think you made the right call. If "I don't know, I can't tell" creeps in to the conversation multiple times it's time to walk away. :)

RC

boxhitch
08-25-2020, 12:55 PM
5:01 shows the tale, good you passed on that one

DannyO
08-25-2020, 04:45 PM
Awesome video! That gets the blood pumping! Thank you for sharing

jtred
08-25-2020, 07:04 PM
Loved the video. You guys sure are working for it.

Redthies
08-25-2020, 10:43 PM
Fan-effing-tastic! Great video and style. Are you going to post more from the rest of the trip? What camera are you using for the video?

mod7rem
08-27-2020, 10:42 PM
Great video. The awesome thing about sheep hunting is that after looking at lots of rams like the one in the video and trying to convince yourself of legality, possibly over multiple trips, eventually a truly mature ram will come into view. It’s an “ah ha” moment where you realize “ahh thats what they look like”. A good ram doesn’t take a lot of scrutiny or convincing. I’m not talking about high scoring rams either, just nice mature rams, whether they make full curl or not. Thanks for the video.

Mark-R
08-27-2020, 10:59 PM
Nice work guys, enjoyed watching. Beautiful country.

The Hermit
08-28-2020, 06:45 AM
Great way to start the day! Thanks

180grainer
08-28-2020, 07:44 AM
Good vid. Thanks for posting.

mauser
08-28-2020, 08:20 AM
Great footage! Thanks for the video!

whitetailsheds
08-28-2020, 12:41 PM
Anxiously awaiting Part 2!!!

BCLongshot
08-28-2020, 04:12 PM
Excellent video !!!

buckdynasty
08-29-2020, 11:08 PM
Cheers
Srupp
Thanks for that! Glad you enjoyed part 1.

buckdynasty
08-29-2020, 11:10 PM
Fan-effing-tastic! Great video and style. Are you going to post more from the rest of the trip? What camera are you using for the video?
Glad you enjoyed it. I’m running a Canon DSLR with a telephoto lens. And yes part 2 is nearing completion.

Redthies
08-30-2020, 08:20 AM
Glad you enjoyed it. I’m running a Canon DSLR with a telephoto lens. And yes part 2 is nearing completion.

Hmm. My Nikon is not video capable, (it’s a pro level one, and I have amazing glass, but pre video era) and this has me thinking “upgrade”!

Looking forward to part 2! Great stuff!

Weatherby Fan
08-30-2020, 09:31 AM
Great video, lots of rams and typical northern BC weather !!!

Thanks for sharing
WF

Farmer001
08-30-2020, 03:24 PM
Great Video, Thx Guys!

john-brennan
08-30-2020, 05:02 PM
Great video I loved it.

eatram
08-30-2020, 06:52 PM
Well done gents! And well put together. That was 20 minutes of my time NOT wasted. Thanks. I'll bring back your contiga when the weather pushes the big boys down...

buckdynasty
09-03-2020, 01:42 PM
http://youtu.be/1IMkabxBR30

Link to Part 2.

HD95
09-03-2020, 04:41 PM
Enjoyed your hunt,,,,for me both of you sported the correct attitude for a sheep hunter.
You were into sheep daily,,,sometimes it's a numbers game. You both kept a positive attitude and that is extremely important.
You may not have killed a ram,,but you had a successful hunt.

northcoastfun
09-03-2020, 05:29 PM
100% very well done. You are enjoying the journey ,that is the amazing part of sheep hunting . Look forward to watching your future adventures.

tomahawk
09-03-2020, 05:35 PM
Great video in every way, beauty country and good partners for and to each other!!

nature girl
09-03-2020, 08:29 PM
Great videos just awesome. Nice to see you both having a good time in the mountains enjoying the animals and nature. A ram would of just been a bonus.
Man those packs of yours looked heavy. What would of you both done different anything?
Thanks for posting it up well done.

walks with deer
09-03-2020, 09:49 PM
i would not have shot good call.been there seen that i chicken on sheep most times.

kush
09-06-2020, 04:26 PM
thx for sharing, awesome trip