PDA

View Full Version : Region 7 Elk newbie

kitnayakwa77
08-23-2020, 04:39 PM
Hi all, considering trying my hand at elk hunting this Sept in 7a Omineca (Ft St James, Vanderhoof, Hixon, McBride are all up for consideration). Never hunted elk before so am looking for tips and advice on where to go to have a chance of an interaction without swarms of folks, if this is possible!? I am an experienced hunter and not afraid to get off the road. Can anyone help? Pm preferred! Willing to exchange tips and info on Region 6.

Bigdoggdon
08-23-2020, 06:31 PM
Unless you have an inside track on some private land, I'd recommend 7b instead.

firstshot
08-23-2020, 07:28 PM
There is some info on this forum about the areas you mentioned if you can find it. I’ve previously done some research on 7a because i would like to hunt it as it is closer to home (region 6). I only started hunting elk a few years ago in 7b and with a little research and some boots on the ground our group has been successful 2 out of 4 years on public land.

emerson
08-23-2020, 09:05 PM
They are in the thick stuff within 2 km of the rivers. I’ve seen some along the willow and salmon rivers. Probably Fraser too, but not visible from the water. Nothing legal though. It’s super hard walking, can’t see shit, usually straight down a steep slope to the river, then straight up to get out. Pick an area, and live there for days at a time hacking narrow trails for sight lines. Get to know and have a good walking trailer along 10 km of river. Use waders because they cross the little rivers like we step over puddles. They don’t like bugles mostly, not enough bull density to fight it out maybe? Brutal hunt unless you do it as a long term hobby. I’ve never run into anyone down in the thick stuff off trail by the rivers. Good luck.