PDA

View Full Version : Bighorn Sheep

4 point
08-22-2020, 07:20 PM
Just noticed today while driving west from Kamloops to Savona right at the Cherry Creek ranch on HWY 1 there is a sign saying watch for Bighorn Sheep next 4 Km.

Since when have bighorn sheep been on the south side of Kamloops lake. How did they get established there? How many might be there? Any info would be great to learn.

bighornbob
08-22-2020, 09:40 PM
I guess the herd has been around there for some time usually hangs above the lake but some have taken to the greens fields at cherry creek.

I saw two ewes running through the Weyerhaeuser property (Where the pipeline lay down yard is now) about 5 years ago.

that’s the farthest east I have seen them as that’s pretty much as far as they can go unless they want to walk through downtown.

bhb

Rod
08-22-2020, 09:46 PM
I saw a lady hit one on the highway in that area a couple of years ago... I think I recall a news article about a FN woman charged for shooting two ewes in the same area... only took one hind leg and left the rest to rot. ☹️

walks with deer
08-22-2020, 09:50 PM
seen them way further east on the north side...almost pritchard..

Darksith
08-23-2020, 10:15 AM
Been there lots. I've seen them really close to kamloops on that side

Darksith
08-23-2020, 10:16 AM
I saw a lady hit one on the highway in that area a couple of years ago... I think I recall a news article about a FN woman charged for shooting two ewes in the same area... only took one hind leg and left the rest to rot. ☹️

wasn't ewes, she shot 3 rams...left on just took the head...successfully charged for wasting but that was it...BS

CranePete
08-23-2020, 11:02 AM
I’ve seen them at Perry Ranch

twoSevenO
08-23-2020, 03:25 PM
I've seen them there myself as well. Also took me by surprise, but after I talked to a few people I learned they've been there for a while just not in big numbers like they are on the north side of the lake.

4 point
08-23-2020, 08:29 PM
Thanks for the info. I had no idea they were on the south side of Kamloops Lake.

Steelpulse
08-24-2020, 07:56 AM
Saw a huge ram on the other side of someone’s horse yard in there cherry creek area haha. Figured they probably roped it up and kept it as a pet hahaha