PDA

View Full Version : Stars in the sky steve rinella on netflix

Huntingtyler123
08-21-2020, 10:13 PM
I’m sure a lot of people may have watched this documentary. I head about it when it came out but it’s now on Netflix. I’d recommend it to hunters and non hunters. Personally thought it was very well done and something new and interesting to watch.

MB_Boy
08-23-2020, 10:49 AM
That was a good watch, big fan of his.

RyoTHC
08-23-2020, 12:34 PM
Currently watching..

Steve is the PR hunting needed, it’s a step in the right direction.
Wise man.

DannyO
08-23-2020, 12:44 PM
I really enjoyed this. Listening to his podcast was a big reason I wanted to get into hunting. Seems like a great ambassador for the lifestyle.

finaddict
08-23-2020, 08:29 PM
just watched this. The show was aligned with a lot of his hunts and his philosophies on why we hunt and how to justify it. He comes across very genuine. I enjoy some of his reflections during the hunt. Talking about the times with his dad and his brothers.

stosto
08-24-2020, 10:34 PM
Selfishly I am not looking for more competition out there, but no doubt Steve's work is inspiring.

todbartell
08-24-2020, 11:01 PM
watched it yesterday, it was very well done.

Kast13
08-25-2020, 12:35 AM
Just finished it, I really enjoyed it. I plan on showing it to my girlfriend sometime soon, she gave me one of his books for a gift. Steve is great, I enjoy everything he puts out.

Huntingtyler123
08-25-2020, 06:13 AM
Yes really enjoyed the show. Would be a good to to share to some people not understanding why we do what we do. He also announced new meat eater episodes sept 16 I believe

Redthies
08-25-2020, 10:22 AM
Steve is the PR hunting needed, it’s a step in the right direction.
Wise man.

Well said. He is definitely the one guy that can lead the charge for thoughtful hunting. He also has succeeded in finding a group of like-minded individuals to bring along for the ride. Eduardo Garcia is amazing, Danielle Prewett will entice the ladies, and First Lite founder (and old friend of mine) Kenton Carruth has even spent time fly fishing with Yvon Chouinard founder/owner of Patagonia. If they can get guys like Yvon onside (Listen to the Meateater podcast with Yvon. It’s an eye opener.), then we can have a bigger voice, or at least a voice the antis will respect.

Fella
08-25-2020, 10:27 AM
Well said. He is definitely the one guy that can lead the charge for thoughtful hunting. He also has succeeded in finding a group of like-minded individuals to bring along for the ride. Eduardo Garcia is amazing, Danielle Prewett will entice the ladies, and First Lite founder (and old friend of mine) Kenton Carruth has even spent time fly fishing with Yvon Chouinard founder/owner of Patagonia. If they can get guys like Yvon onside (Listen to the Meateater podcast with Yvon. It’s an eye opener.), then we can have a bigger voice, or at least a voice the antis will respect.

Well said, it’s great that his crew are all normal people, not the chest pounding egos that most people associate with hunting. Very relateable!

DarekG
08-25-2020, 10:28 AM
This was a great documentary, not so much for fans of MeatEater or people that are already hunters (though I was still engaged throughout) but it's something you can share with anyone curious or misinformed about hunting, and why people choose to hunt.

Redthies
08-25-2020, 09:01 PM
I just watched the documentary tonight. There is a lot of good stuff in this, and the message is one of conservation more than anything else, which is awesome if it is actually seen by non-hunters. Netflix is definitely watched by the masses, so let’s hope it gains traction with the uninformed and helps the cause of respectful hunters.

Amphibious
08-26-2020, 06:52 AM

Patagonia is not our friend. Everyone forget their involvement in the lost of the BC Grizz hunt?

Yvon approves of millennial marketable outdoor sports. Flyfishing and Upland. Two sports I greatly enjoy, but two sports that are full of young, entitled, virtue signalers.

One has to only look at Project Upland's recent involvement with BLM.

Redthies
08-26-2020, 08:48 AM
Patagonia is not our friend. Everyone forget their involvement in the lost of the BC Grizz hunt?

Yvon approves of millennial marketable outdoor sports. Flyfishing and Upland. Two sports I greatly enjoy, but two sports that are full of young, entitled, virtue signalers.

One has to only look at Project Upland's recent involvement with BLM.

Yvon was a trapper and deer hunter in his early days and through middle age. I’m not saying they are our friends, but I personally am not opposed to anyone promoting outdoor activities in whatever capacity. Even if they only show support for upland, it’s still hunting. The basic tenets are the same. (I don’t know what a “virtue signaller”is). I’m not an active predator hunter, so I didn’t pay too much attention to who was driving that particular bus. I just did what I could to support my fellow hunters pursue their chosen animals.

triggerhappy
08-26-2020, 08:55 AM
I watch this when it first came out. Excellent documentary.

silveragent
08-26-2020, 09:26 AM
Very good. My gf watched it along with me and it sparked a good discussion. She is not opposed to hunting and has come along to observe a couple times. She also will happily help butcher any birds I bring home. Watching this she was actually more fired up than I was especially when they had that vegan philosopher on. That said I'm glad Rinella let the vegan guy have his platform for the contrast. I have no problem with the vegan having his own personal ethics. He can hate hunting all he wants as long as it doesn't affect what I do.

I do love that all of the hunters tried to tackle the contradiction of loving animals but wanting to eat them. All humans have contradictions whether they admit it or not. Even the vegan fellow admitted that vegan food can harm animals.

I think hunters need to take the time to be thoughtful about what they are doing and to understand conservationism and how hunting is a component of that. I wish in Canada we had something like the Pittman - Robertson act Federally to point to. In BC it was a struggle to get our hunter-sourced revenue to be earmarked for conservation.

Redthies
08-26-2020, 01:04 PM
This has proved to be one of the most thoughtful threads on here in a while. It’s refreshing to not have to wade through the usual monkeys slinging poop around.

Ron.C
08-26-2020, 07:15 PM
Just watched it. I think he did a great job and I can relate to a good deal of the dialogue. If anything, it is a great example of how "I think" hunters need to be seen.

I like how some of the speakers spoke on trophy hunting, what trophy hunting is to various individuals and how it can both help and hurt hunting.

Doug Durren's story about his brothers passing "was touching" and how his family has managed the deer as a result. And I agree with Joe Rogan's position on the infamous trophy hunt and kill of the Lion "Cecil" and how it was bad press for hunters.

Treed
08-26-2020, 09:12 PM
His podcasts are fantastic. He gets a lot of really interesting people on them. I really like the way he is building a big network of people and companies that share his same ethics and approach to wildlife management and hunting. Spreading the word to non-hunters.

LeverActionJunkie
08-26-2020, 11:05 PM
Very well done film. He does a great job representing hunters and explaining who we are. I enjoy his stuff from books to MeatEater to this. We need more representation like Steve. I’ll watch a show
like this before 90% of the WildTV, Big Buck Beatdown 10 type BS.

simonvancouver
08-27-2020, 07:48 AM
Same as the rest of you, I very much enjoyed it. I have asked a few non hunting friends to watching it and let me know what they think, will be interesting to hear.
Years ago I used to know a vegan who was big into activism in Vancouver. We had many good conversations and one thing that always stood out for me, was her respect for hunters and ethical farming, even if it wasnt vegan "friendly", the respect and care of the animals was more important to her. I took a-lot away from talking with her, no solution is ever going to be 100% what everyone wants but most the time we all have 75% of something in common and if we work to getting that 75% good then we can bitch and moan about the other 25% to keep us happy, i mean it feels we are only happy when we are moaning right ;-)

silveragent
08-27-2020, 09:11 AM
I did my CORE with Eat Wild and at least two of the other students were former vegans who decided they couldn't do without animal protein but for ethical reasons still wanted to minimize the suffering on animals overall so decided hunting and making the personal decision to take a life for their sustenance was the least impact, with ethical ranching/farming following that in their personal ethical scale. We all have our own ethical scales - which was touched on in the movie. Myself, I haven't taken a large mammal and I still don't know if I could even though I have gone out for that purpose. The closer an animal gets to me as a human being and fellow large animal I start feeling a bit twitchy about that.

But I have no problem with birds or fish. I love watching ducks and geese but in the end they are not big mammals like me. Also I reason that migratory species limits give me a wide latitude in how much I can harvest so I can ethically take everything within that limit.

Codes44
08-31-2020, 08:48 AM
Big fan of Steve Rinella, his is about the only hunting show I can watch...isn't constantly pushing product on you and selling out. He's just a down to earth guy who loves all things hunting, even Jim Shockey now days just feels like an infomercial trying to sell you all the things he's sponsored by...will watch anything with Rinella in it!

silveragent
08-31-2020, 09:32 AM
Big fan of Steve Rinella, his is about the only hunting show I can watch...isn't constantly pushing product on you and selling out. He's just a down to earth guy who loves all things hunting, even Jim Shockey now days just feels like an infomercial trying to sell you all the things he's sponsored by...will watch anything with Rinella in it!

Keep in mind that Rinella was sponsored by First Lite and now actually owns First Lite through his media group. I don't think we will see much Sitka in his show :)

twoSevenO
08-31-2020, 11:00 AM
I like him and his show, but I do not agree with his "I live to hunt and I hunt to live" moto.

That doesnt really work for me when you are flying across canada to get to Alaska, then boarding a bush plane for another few hrs, then hiking a ways just to bring home a cooler of caribou meat. Just doesnt add up.

You may not have shot a record book caribou, but the elaborate trip involved makes this a trophy hunt in my opinion.

warnniklz
08-31-2020, 12:24 PM
I like him and his show, but I do not agree with his "I live to hunt and I hunt to live" moto.

That doesnt really work for me when you are flying across canada to get to Alaska, then boarding a bush plane for another few hrs, then hiking a ways just to bring home a cooler of caribou meat. Just doesnt add up.

You may not have shot a record book caribou, but the elaborate trip involved makes this a trophy hunt in my opinion.

He does hunt to live... writes about hunting, bringing in an income to pay for food, shelter. He films hunting that brings in an income for food, shelter. He hunts so he can discuss the topic on his podcast that brings in an income. he has 3 or 4 different inputs of income because of hunting...

But I think I may be the only person that was disappointed spending money on Stars In The Sky. It's not bad and I get the purpose. But it didn't really do anything for me. It's well put together, it's shot real well, just I don't know. Maybe I was expecting something different? I don't know. I can say I wouldn't not recommend it.

silveragent
08-31-2020, 01:48 PM
I probably wouldn't have paid to see it individually if it wasn't part of Netflix. But if it had appeared as part of a film festival it would probably have been on my list of docs to see if I was already going to the film festival.

As for his motto, yeah I don't get the issue with it. He lives and breathes hunting. It's not just one thing he decides to do on the weekend. He built a business around it that allows him to live the dreams of many of us.

Redthies
08-31-2020, 10:16 PM
Keep in mind that Rinella was sponsored by First Lite and now actually owns First Lite through his media group. I don't think we will see much Sitka in his show :)

He doesn’t own First Lite, Meateater does, but the former owners of First Lite are now part owners of Meateater. They basically formed a partnership and all the separate entities are now held by Meateater.

caddisguy
09-01-2020, 08:41 PM
I just got around to watching it now. I thought it was very well done.

r106
09-01-2020, 08:55 PM
Wife and I just watched it. We both thought it was great. No surprise from Steve Rinella

Aaron600
09-02-2020, 05:40 AM
Watched it a few days ago. Great lil documentary.

Shannaleri
09-02-2020, 01:25 PM
I think the only thing that could have improved it is a more diverse cast of hunters telling their stories... He did a great shot of showcasing that all sorts of people hunt, but we didn't hear enough from POCs, women or younger folks. With inclusion being, in my perspective, the worst part of hunting's PR it seems like a missed opportunity to showcase that more people hunt than old white men.

I held a screening with my friends (hippies, vegans and techies) and they all got something out of it; a very positive response. Rinella is an excellent personality to grow hunting acceptance.

silveragent
09-02-2020, 03:05 PM
Good point though he did have the one Asian / Chinese fellow. Sort of like me he works in tech and got involved in a very non-tech hobby. He could have been interviewed more.

One thing for sure is that hunting in North America is focused on privileged.

warnniklz
09-02-2020, 03:37 PM
It is a jump off point. If Rinella can win over some people, maybe they'll discover his podcast which has a wide variety of characters. Hell he even won my non-hunting step sister.

Huntingtyler123
09-02-2020, 03:38 PM
No one is privileged.

twoSevenO
09-02-2020, 07:37 PM
Good point though he did have the one Asian / Chinese fellow. Sort of like me he works in tech and got involved in a very non-tech hobby. He could have been interviewed more.

One thing for sure is that hunting in North America is focused on privileged.

X2. It definitely has become a sport for the privileged.
The amount of money some people spend on hunting is absolutely obscene.

I follow a lot of american hunters on Instagram and a large part of it is the physical aspect, how hard it was blah blah ..... no one wants to post they spent $50,000 to kill a sheep in BC, which for most of us would be harder to part with than doing the physical aspect of even the toughest hunt.

I might sound bitter when I say that. But I'm not. I just wish more of these elaborate hunts had a bill attached to the pics so people had a true understanding just how much money some people spend.

And there are people with 5, 7, 10 sheep on their wall. That sh** ain't cheap!

twoSevenO
09-02-2020, 07:39 PM
No one is privileged.

You dont think having $300,000 to spend on the governors tag to shoot a once in a lifetime 270" mule deer is privileged? ... for example

Huntingtyler123
09-02-2020, 09:05 PM
I think Whoever did that worked for it to get there and to be able to do it

Huntingtyler123
09-02-2020, 09:08 PM
If people have more opportunity then me by having more money then me so what. Different life and different circumstances. You don’t know everyone’s battles to get to that platform. Even if a person is born into money, so what? It’s not effecting me

twoSevenO
09-02-2020, 09:55 PM
If people have more opportunity then me by having more money then me so what. Different life and different circumstances. You don’t know everyone’s battles to get to that platform. Even if a person is born into money, so what? It’s not effecting me

No, it doesnt affect you or me, especially when its hunters out of the USA. But to say there is no priviledge involved is just crazy. Lots of people who dont necessarily have a lot of money in the USA are also very successful hunters for no reason other than they inherited land that happens to be on some of the best hunting grounds.

Again, nothing wrong with it ... but cant say they aren't priviledged through it.

And when it comes to social media it paints, kind of a false picture for a lot of younger hunters. I think this is one aspect where social media sucks. "Buy our gear. Hunt hard like Peter. You, too, can have rams like this" .... well, no, you can't, if you're kid out of the mid west and dont have $100,000 to play with like Peter.
It's becoming like the fitness world, in a sense. Pushing a certain image onto younger people. I've never heard of this "mountain athlete" trend until Instagram. Lol