PDA

View Full Version : wilderness communication devices

stosto
08-21-2020, 10:08 AM
Appoligies if this is a repeat. Im looking for a safety communication device when out hunting. It being seasonal, a seasonal subscribtion to the device is wanted.

What do you use and why?
Thanks

Ron.C
08-21-2020, 10:11 AM
I use an inreach mini now (upgraded from a gen1 spot before spring bear season ). All the emergency features of bigger units, inexpensive. Easily pairs with my cell for 2 way texting or can be used stand alone. When stand alone (not paired with a cell) still great for basic 2 way communications but not so great if you want to have detailed conversations.

Can set it on track mode and check weather on it as well. Once set up, can suspend monthly subscription when not required and restart when needed again.

Very compact and battery useage is quite acceptable.

So far, Im very happy with it

Jrax
08-21-2020, 10:13 AM
garmin 66i. two way communication, pairable with iphone, SOS feature, good mapping and gps capability. very reliable so far.

bighornbob
08-21-2020, 10:29 AM
As other have said the inreach is the way to go. Can suspend charges ($3.95 a month) when not using it.

BHB

BRvalley
08-21-2020, 10:50 AM
zoleo is another option to look into, if you're the type that uses your phone for GPS and camera on your hunting trips, it pairs to your phone through an app

I just got one, but haven't used it enough to give a thorough review

cptnoblivious
08-21-2020, 11:21 AM
I also use an InReach Mini, especially when out solo. It can take time for it to connect in tree cover and down in steep canyons may not work depending on the direction of the canyon and satellite positions

338edgehunter
08-21-2020, 03:40 PM
Garmin 66i is definitely the way to roll

srupp
08-21-2020, 03:54 PM
Hmm I went with Globalstar spot Gen x.
Sos..plus 10 pre determained messages plus text whatever you want..keyboard on the unit.
Yes I am still Globalstar Ambassador for over 10 years..it just works..mine came no charge for being Ambassador however I believe you can suspend service and just paying $5 month ? For those months of non use.
If you have questions send PM with phone number I will call on my dime.
Cheers
Steven Rupp

stosto
08-21-2020, 09:49 PM
Super, all responses so far are much appreciated.

SBvias
08-21-2020, 11:05 PM
+1 for inreach.

sdpy1
08-22-2020, 01:30 AM
I've used a Garmin Inreach for a number of years now. It has a solid backtrack feature and an SOS button that can get you out of a pickle, not to mention the texting feature which can be used to tell your significant other that you are "stuck" in the woods for the rest of the weekend.

EricPaul
08-22-2020, 03:43 AM
+1 for inreach mini. I considered the Zoleo but the Inreach has unlimited free preset messages. Heard less good things about Spot.

BTW inreach mini users - set up your preset message to go out to both text message and email to multiple people preferably and test it before you go. I've noticed some lengthy delays to some cell carriers sometimes, they get flagged as spam.

jlirot
08-22-2020, 09:42 AM
I just joined the Garmin 66i club this spring. Love it!

Stranger In The Woods
08-23-2020, 02:21 AM
I have Garmin GPSMap 66i For Sale if you are interested :)

kootenaycarver
08-23-2020, 05:37 AM
I have a Garmin In-reach Explorer plus. Haven't used it extensively, but always have it with me when on back country trips. Happy so far and subscription options are good.

WaterFowlin
08-23-2020, 11:18 AM
I have a spot x. Hard to get messages out.

now it won’t send anything at all. I need to contact spot. But in all honesty. I think I’m over it now. Reviews pointed to Inreach. I liked the keyboard and dedicated number. It was a mistake. Now looking into switching. Either Zeleo or Garmin.

srupp
08-23-2020, 11:29 AM
I have a spot x. Hard to get messages out.

now it won’t send anything at all. I need to contact spot. But in all honesty. I think I’m over it now. Reviews pointed to Inreach. I liked the keyboard and dedicated number. It was a mistake. Now looking into switching. Either Zeleo or Garmin.

Have you contacted Globalstar support ?
My first SPOT UNIT is currently working fine in northern BC..MY SECOND is in the basement..never a failure in over 10 years..know lots of folks like that..no failures.
It could be " could be" operator error,wrong input, even a unit that went defective. .but tech CAN tell you why and what..
Yes things can break..but you found out before you needed the unit..now contact tech and find out why..then tell us..
Cheers
Steven

upnover
08-23-2020, 02:07 PM
10-12 years ago i got my SPOT. It is for the person who is a minimalist, like me. It has never failed me. Subscription is now around $250/year Cdn. I customize the non-emergency message to suit the particular trip i am on, for instance it is now "ready for the Beaver".

todbartell
08-23-2020, 02:47 PM
garmin 66i. two way communication, pairable with iphone, SOS feature, good mapping and gps capability. very reliable so far.

x 2, I love my 66i

srupp
08-23-2020, 03:45 PM
10-12 years ago i got my SPOT. It is for the person who is a minimalist, like me. It has never failed me. Subscription is now around $250/year Cdn. I customize the non-emergency message to suit the particular trip i am on, for instance it is now "ready for the Beaver".

Hmm your Aviary with impressive bighorns..was that photo taken of the rams from just 1 winter that died in the Hinton area is Cadomin" mine have a similar photo..
Good luck.
Srupp

WaterFowlin
08-23-2020, 05:16 PM
Have you contacted Globalstar support ?
My first SPOT UNIT is currently working fine in northern BC..MY SECOND is in the basement..never a failure in over 10 years..know lots of folks like that..no failures.
It could be " could be" operator error,wrong input, even a unit that went defective. .but tech CAN tell you why and what..
Yes things can break..but you found out before you needed the unit..now contact tech and find out why..then tell us..
Cheers
Steven

i haven’t yet. And I will.

However regardless of the reason. It not working is unacceptable in a device when the only time I may need it is literally life and death.

It needs to be 100% reliable and one failure is unacceptable to
me and my spouse.

I will be switching.

srupp
08-23-2020, 05:32 PM
i haven’t yet. And I will.

However regardless of the reason. It not working is unacceptable in a device when the only time I may need it is literally life and death.

It needs to be 100% reliable and one failure is unacceptable to
me and my spouse.

I will be switching.

Fair enough..however first find the issue..before shooting the company....just never heard of this in over 12 years and reached out to 3 others..not heard of..
I am genuinely interested in the outcome..as my safety is tied to this device.lF there is an issue..I want to make an informed decision...I have in the past documented my spot information to ensure it was 100 % reliable..
I texted my location to member near Kamloops from inside my home..I checked in and looked at the satellite photo of my location..so accurate it displayed where in my home the check in origated..
I understand your concern I'm with you..but let's find the cause and then decide..
Your information is not my experience but appreciated..
Cheers
Steven

WaterFowlin
08-23-2020, 05:51 PM
Fair enough..however first find the issue..before shooting the company....just never heard of this in over 12 years and reached out to 3 others..not heard of..
I am genuinely interested in the outcome..as my safety is tied to this device.lF there is an issue..I want to make an informed decision...I have in the past documented my spot information to ensure it was 100 % reliable..
I texted my location to member near Kamloops from inside my home..I checked in and looked at the satellite photo of my location..so accurate it displayed where in my home the check in origated..
I understand your concern I'm with you..but let's find the cause and then decide..
Cheers
Steven

that’s fair. I will reach out tomorrow and let you know.

thomas300
08-24-2020, 11:20 AM
inreach mini easy to use, links up with your cell phone and eliminates the need to carry any other gps unit.

upnover
08-24-2020, 02:00 PM
Hmm your Aviary with impressive bighorns..was that photo taken of the rams from just 1 winter that died in the Hinton area is Cadomin" mine have a similar photo..
Good luck.
Srupp
Yup, you nailed it Bud. They sure can grow when given a chance eh? The horns were'nt overly black like the line creek ones can get, i noticed

Ramhunter85
08-24-2020, 02:16 PM
In my experience i wouldnt use anything but an inreach for text type communication, or if you have the $$ the iridium GO. The Spot products i have used or have seen used by hunting partners have been too unreliable for something so important. Have never had a failed message on inreach.

srupp
08-24-2020, 04:38 PM
Hmm no argument..I have indeed witnessed 2 failures on Garmin mini..operator error this spring..was sorted out and worked well after ..
These techs can tell everything..when it was sent..did ithe get handed off through sattalight..and if and when it arrived at your unit.
I like Spots idea of dedicated phone number and the sattalight location was Spot on lol
I can't argue,nor want to regarding failures..I wasn't there,don't know the facts..the 2 X folks had issues it was users errors.
You are comfortable with the Garmin..I would also use them..
I have very significant medical issues and am headed out for 6 weeks hunting..the first 4 alone..I am betting my life and health on this unit
We both are safer than without such a device either Garmin or Globalstar.
I understand your passion however without accurate information very hard to make an informed decision.
I am truly waiting for the owner to get tech support and update us on the facts.
Enjoy your hunting.
Cheers
Steven Rupp

srupp
08-24-2020, 04:57 PM
that’s fair. I will reach out tomorrow and let you know.

Good decision..also please let me know that you indeed talked with tech resources..not customer support..have your unit with you..they will need some #s,...
Then publicly disclose your/ their findings..if there are issues unknown to me..my safety..and my wife demands reliability.
Soray to hear of your problems these are meant to solve issues not to create new ones
I am gone hunting from Sept 5 until we then harvest 2 moose or Oct 16.
Cheers
Steven Rupp

srupp
08-24-2020, 04:59 PM
inreach mini easy to use, links up with your cell phone and eliminates the need to carry any other gps unit.

Hmm consider stand alone Garmin Montana 610 with back back roads maps and large interactive screened superior to either Garmin Inreach or Globalstar Gen x.
But that's me.
Steven

REMINGTON JIM
08-24-2020, 05:46 PM
Get the 680 - it has a great camera too ! ;) RJ

nelsonob1
08-24-2020, 08:03 PM
Cheers
Steven

I am curious about this issue to. We use three spot devices. Never an issue that I've known about but never pushed red button. The message to the wife always arrived.

Those that like inreach, have they tried the spot? Whats superior for you?

Jrax
08-25-2020, 08:36 AM
I have used both, i like the inreach better. My dads spot at one time would not send messages but the problem was resolved i cant remember how. I had 3 spots going (one for me, dad, and co-worker) and i needed to cancel 1. I called to cancel and it so happens i missed the yearly bill cycle by one day so i requested a reversal and was refused. I wrote an email to customer service and got no response. I also noticed that the $$ went up and i was not aware of the increase. I switched to inreach

ajeatoo
08-25-2020, 08:54 AM
Garmin 66i upgraded from the InReach. Also have the backroads map on sd card loaded into the Garmin 66i, the screen is bigger and much more detailed. Works great.

lightmag
08-25-2020, 04:09 PM
Loleo!!! $270 , Runs on irdium system. Can use with or with out phone, easy texting thru cell app anytime if wanted!! cant beat it