PDA

View Full Version : E-Scouting: Am I really cheating?

sdpy1
08-21-2020, 12:26 AM
Hey yall!

I finally came to the decision to part with a deep dark secret: a little government resource I found some years back that has absolutely revolutionized the way I hunt.

I don't want to sound like a sales person (I have no affiliation with the following website) but whether you are a seasoned veteran, or a cheechako you need to check it out.

ImapBc provides everything from property boundaries to the wintering ranges of deer (not to mention pin point locations of wildlife sightings).

I made a quick how-to style video in the link below on some of the basic features, and plan to follow up with several more short clips that will highlight the less obvious (but extremely useful) facets.

Let me know if you guys are already using this site, and if so let's hear your success stories!

(HOW-TO VIDEO (1) HERE (https://youtu.be/pnyoyx_WZIw))

(OVERLAY FOR ANIMAL SIGHTINGS (https://youtu.be/GzXM-iWLNis))

Banker
08-21-2020, 06:22 AM
Thanks for sharing, this is a very useful tool! Great first post too by the way!

stosto
08-21-2020, 08:10 AM
We're lucky to have a functioning government. The iMap application is great and so is your how-to video.

I don't think this is cheating. Despite this and all the other technological tools, I still think that the animals have the advantage. When I hunt, i am only a visitor to thier land. They have a superior knowledge of that land that time on iMap cannot compare. Only many days or even weeks of boots on the ground can.

butcher
08-21-2020, 08:19 AM
Been using it for a long time in conjunction with other programs. It’s a good tool but I don’t think I’ve been more successful because of it.

sdpy1
08-21-2020, 08:23 AM
It’s a good tool but I don’t think I’ve been more successful because of it.

Have you used the animal population data yet? In my opinion it seems a little unfair to have that access. In conjunction with wintering zone ranges as well as the habitat and feeding statistics it narrows down the hunters field scouting tenfold.

emerson
08-21-2020, 08:46 AM
Talking about how to use a govt resource and then saying it’s unfair. 2 posts. Not sure where you are trying to go OP. I fear your motives.

5.56mm
08-21-2020, 09:07 AM
Thanks for the heads up, I don't know of this will be a game changer for how many animals I can get near but it sure will help narrow down a lot of vast areas. Looking forward to episode 2

Jon

butcher
08-21-2020, 09:48 AM
Have you used the animal population data yet? In my opinion it seems a little unfair to have that access. In conjunction with wintering zone ranges as well as the habitat and feeding statistics it narrows down the hunters field scouting tenfold.

Well, I suppose if a guy couldn't recognize wintering range by looking at it. If you're new at the game and need a starting point, sure. I feel like it will now give me a better idea of areas to avoid.

Astepanuk
08-21-2020, 09:52 AM
Thanks for the share any additional resuourse is always useful. I really like using the Google Map 3D Option.

Amphibious
08-21-2020, 01:04 PM
Far from cheating. If you're a complete rookie that doesn't know anything about the land and game you're hunting it could let you be lazy. But using a cringey clickbait title like cheating or unfair is pretty laughable.

Your "deep dark secret" has been used by many of us for years. Sorry to burst you bubble.

sdpy1
08-21-2020, 01:05 PM
If you're new at the game and need a starting point, sure.

To the biologist in me this stuff is candy, the ability to quantify data into a tangible resource is taking e-scouting to a whole different level.

sdpy1
08-21-2020, 01:08 PM
@Amphibious,

Sorry to hear you weren't impressed. I wasn't sure how many people were aware of it so, instead of keeping it to myself I thought I'd share. Lots of people have been asking for OnX maps in Canada so perhaps it was time to get it out there for folks less aware could enjoy what it had to offer.

cameron0518
08-21-2020, 01:17 PM
Maybe since you are so generous, you could point out where you have had the most success based on your use of the program.

CranePete
08-21-2020, 01:23 PM
Thanks for the info. Despite all the tech, you’re still a part time predator looking for full time prey. It’s a resource, for sure, but a loooong way from cutting your tag.

cptnoblivious
08-21-2020, 01:49 PM
I appreciate the video and link to iMapBC, hadn't looked at it before. Seeing private / public boundaries is very useful once you know an area and want to get a bit more specific info.

Jrax
08-21-2020, 01:59 PM
Thanks very much for sharing and especially taking the time to make the how-to-video! There will be many people who will find this useful and informative especially to those who are looking at exploring or trying out a new area. I personally find that its a great resource.

Dash
08-21-2020, 03:40 PM
Thank you for trying to be helpful and sharing a useful resource.

Disregard the negativity and don't get discouraged. Some people have nothing better to do but get their panties in a bunch over absolutely nothing instead of contributing anything useful/helpful themselves. Sadly these people are the reason newer and older users alike don't bothering posting much anymore or have left altogether.

I'm looking forward to seeing more of your videos :)

Murder
08-21-2020, 04:18 PM
Gold! Thanks for the share. Don't listen to naysayers

EDIT: Looking forward to the follow up vid!

Cheers

Ron.C
08-21-2020, 05:15 PM
Thank you for trying to be helpful and sharing a useful resource.

Disregard the negativity and don't get discouraged. Some people have nothing better to do but get their panties in a bunch over absolutely nothing instead of contributing anything useful/helpful themselves. Sadly these people are the reason newer and older users alike don't bothering posting much anymore or have left altogether.

I'm looking forward to seeing more of your videos :)

Exactly right Dash.

Thanks for sharing spdy1. I've hunted for allot of years and never looked at this. No harm in having multiple resources at hand especially when you are trying to build a picture of how to hunt a new area.

silveragent
08-21-2020, 05:45 PM
Everything on the internet is a starting point. Thanks for sharing. Don't listen to the sneers.

oldrookie
08-21-2020, 06:39 PM
will spend some time with this! im a very new hunter absorbing as much info and tips as i can squeeze into my stupid inexperienced middle aged brain

fishhunt
08-21-2020, 11:23 PM
Thanks for the info and posting your video.

sdpy1
08-22-2020, 01:26 AM
@oldrookie

At the end of the day we are all under-experienced and a bit dull when it comes to understanding the animals that surround us, but hey, isn't learning half the fun?

Aaron600
08-22-2020, 05:17 AM
Thanks for the vid!!!

WhiteTailAB
08-22-2020, 07:06 AM
Lol anyone know if this is available in AB???? Asking for a friend.

Live2Fish
08-22-2020, 09:04 AM
Anyone else having trouble trying to login to this map system?

silveragent
08-22-2020, 09:13 AM
Shitty did they just now require a government account? Yesterday there was just the link, no log in required??

elknut
08-22-2020, 09:48 AM
Knowledge is golden ...Thanks sdpy1...Dennis

Maglic
08-22-2020, 10:20 AM
Shitty did they just now require a government account? Yesterday there was just the link, no log in required??

There are still both links on iMapBC just use one with no username,
however there is application runtime javascrippt error this morning (at least I am getting ) that will prevent you from loading ArcGIS web app .
Must be too many hunters are trying it for a first time :).
An error occurred.ConfigurationLoadFailed/RequestError: Unable to load https://maps.gov.bc.ca/ess/rest/sites/imap4m/viewers/imap4m/VirtualDirectory/Resources/Config/Default/Desktop.json.js status: 500

Would Rather Be Fishing
08-22-2020, 12:52 PM
Well what do you know... someone posts his/her first post asking for help, he/she gets shut down.. "how dare you".. "how about you post something of value before asking for help"

Someone goes through the motions of creating and posting a video as a first post, he gets shut down, too. "That's lame".. "Old news"..."I don't like the heading" (seriously?)..

Guess people do have a lot of time on their hands nowadays....

Dear OP: Good on you for doing this, you put more effort in your post than most. I am sure there are people here who didn't know about this and who your video gave a new tool to play with.

Dash
08-22-2020, 01:19 PM
Well what do you know... someone posts his/her first post asking for help, he/she gets shut down.. "how dare you".. "how about you post something of value before asking for help"

Someone goes through the motions of creating and posting a video as a first post, he gets shut down, too. "That's lame".. "Old news"..."I don't like the heading" (seriously?)..

Guess people do have a lot of time on their hands nowadays....

Dear OP: Good on you for doing this, you put more effort in your post than most. I am sure there are people here who didn't know about this and who your video gave a new tool to play with.

Ain't that the truth

Vortex hunter
08-22-2020, 01:33 PM
Great thread OP never known that there was SUCH a thing never used it but watched your vid checked it out. I my self suck on a computer lol but enjoyed your showing about this program thats there , GOOD ON YOU OP

Rob Chipman
08-22-2020, 03:05 PM
Great thread, great video. Very nice contribution. Thanks!

Maglic
08-22-2020, 07:55 PM
Yes indeed.
Came across this site before but never explored all layers they offer.
Thank you for putting time and effort.

ajeatoo
08-25-2020, 09:44 AM
Doesn't really work for my area, it will show sightings but they are all "other ungulates" and there is no data to display at all. It's interesting to play around with a definitely good to research an area that is farther away, that is if it works for that area lol.

exv
08-25-2020, 10:17 AM
Some neat stuff forsure. Figuring out how to filter data in the table was a game changer for me. That plus burns and logging data is just wicked. Thanks.

Skogkatt
08-26-2020, 09:17 AM
New hunter here. Thank you for sharing this!