PDA

View Full Version : Father Daughter Grouse Trip - Barnes Lake?

boilerroom
08-20-2020, 08:28 PM
I usually grouse hunt above Loon Lake, but I'm wondering with the cold, wet spring if heading for drier areas might be better?

I'm thinking perhaps of camping at Barnes Lake and then checking out the area around Glossy Mountain.

I'm taking my teenage daughter this year for her first hunting trip and want her to at least have a chance at a couple. I'm also thinking there may be chances on both blues in this area and not just the ruffies & franklins I'm used to.

Can anyone let me know if I'm on the right track here? Any advice would be appreciated.

cheers,
boilerroom

boxhitch
08-21-2020, 09:11 AM
How can you go wrong with a trip like that
Walk slowly, glass down the road, listen for peeping
good luck

boilerroom
08-21-2020, 05:03 PM
How can you go wrong with a trip like that
Walk slowly, glass down the road, listen for peeping
good luck

Thanks boxhitch - I agree, it should be a great bonding time!

4 point
08-21-2020, 08:05 PM
While out scouting on a couple trips in reg 3 with two young grandsons we have seen some families of grouse lot with smaller chicks Still in July.

jtred
08-22-2020, 06:46 AM
Every time I've been out hiking I've seen a decent number of Blue grouse up high and a fair number of Ruffed grouse from lower to middle elevations. I originally was prepared to be disappointed given our June weather but the population seems healthy enough. My oldest daughter has talked me into taking her and boyfriend backpacking for the Labour Day weekend up into one of my favourite backcountry hunting spots. She wants to do lots of hiking and figures while we're up there I'll should be hunting grouse and fishing for Cutthroat trout. She really had to twist my arm. She knows how much I hate being in the alpine especially hunting and fishing. I guess I'll just have to suffer and get through it, what I have to do to make my kids happy!?

Beachcomber
08-22-2020, 08:08 AM
^Where did it all go wrong?!

The Hermit
08-22-2020, 08:41 AM
Every time I've been out hiking I've seen a decent number of Blue grouse up high and a fair number of Ruffed grouse from lower to middle elevations. I originally was prepared to be disappointed given our June weather but the population seems healthy enough. My oldest daughter has talked me into taking her and boyfriend backpacking for the Labour Day weekend up into one of my favourite backcountry hunting spots. She wants to do lots of hiking and figures while we're up there I'll should be hunting grouse and fishing for Cutthroat trout. She really had to twist my arm. She knows how much I hate being in the alpine especially hunting and fishing. I guess I'll just have to suffer and get through it, what I have to do to make my kids happy!?

Dude clearly to didn't buy her enough action video games - fail!