PDA

View Full Version : 2-6 Goat Hunt

bangbangkhan
08-19-2020, 09:03 AM
Hi all,

looking for anyone one who wants to join me in chasing goat around 2-6. It's GOS and i have never explored the area. Please message me if interested.

Hoping i can drive up the Elaho as far as i can and then hike around.

The open season is fairly short, from Sep 10 to Sep 30.

Cheers!

thomas300
08-19-2020, 11:19 AM
good luck its hell up their

bangbangkhan
08-19-2020, 11:36 AM
When you say hell, do you mean tough hiking country or the FSR is shits.

I don’t mind the mountains...

Huntingtyler123
08-19-2020, 12:11 PM
Haven’t been for a while but have a 4x4, watch for grizzlies and only from what I’ve heard super steep and thick timber

porthunter
08-19-2020, 01:34 PM
There's far better areas to get after goats. If you're planning on dedicating more than 5 or 6 days to it, I'd look at driving further to have much more opportunity.

Had a friend take a billy out of there 15 years back, said he would never go back... everyone else I've talked to in recent years that's gone in there has also said it finding goats in there is few and far between, from what I've heard, the fires didn't help them much either.

bangbangkhan
08-19-2020, 01:58 PM
Yeah thats what i have heard as well but i thought if its such tough country, competition must be very low...I am down for a 5-6 day hunt as well but dont really know about other GOS areas. I

I would have scratched my itch earlier this month but i messed my shot at a great billy up in 6-28 and no sheep for miles. Doubt any one would wanna fly in for a goat all the way up there...I do have a sheep draw up there.

I got a 4x4 just need a partner in crime!

hickman
08-20-2020, 11:25 AM
Goat population in 2-6 has declined over the last few years. It started with the Elaho fire, and recreational use of the area, especially by heli-based activities have out more pressure on the population. The Ashlu population might not mix too much with the heard in Elaho/ Upper Squamish but overall numbers are down.
Apart from that which might be worth considering from a conservation point of view, access is very hard as pointed out before.

twoSevenO
08-20-2020, 11:37 AM
from what i hear access is incredibly difficult. Most people will just drive a little further to other GOS areas instead of going through hell that is climbing those mountains.
Also, goat numbers are definitely not that high from what i hear.

Livewire322
08-20-2020, 11:42 AM
The area is steep as all get out. There are a few areas with *easy access to the alpine, but the goats likely wouldn’t be near those because lots of folk are abusing the valley floor.

bangbangkhan
08-20-2020, 11:52 AM
Well, i have to decided to go check it out. Worst case scenario i will be just enjoying the alpine or maybe a monster buck!

Ron.C
08-20-2020, 11:54 AM
Well, i have to decided to go check it out. Worst case scenario i will be just enjoying the alpine or maybe a monster buck!

Good luck.

Please take some pics and share with us on your return.

Be safe

bangbangkhan
08-20-2020, 03:51 PM
Good luck.

Please take some pics and share with us on your return.

Be safe

Thx and you bet!

granola_eater
08-20-2020, 08:34 PM

For sure a good attitude to have, and with that you wont have a bad time.

Sorry to add to the Debbie Downer tone of these comments, but I've spent a fair bit of time up there looking for goats and have to agree with the general consensus. If you take 5-6 days to hunt goats this fall, you might have more luck using a couple of those days to drive north to another goat GOS area. The Elaho fire displaced many of the goats that were within a day's hike of the road, and they have moved north and west to areas with better winter range.

Check the maps of the open area closely-- the portion of 2-6 that is open to goat harvest is all on the west side of the squamish and excludes the east side of the ashlu watershed. It has been said on here before: the reason there is a GOS within an hour of Vancouver is because the chance of harvest is very very low.

But have fun! It's certainly beautiful to look at the big peaks, even after they've kicked your ass. I live in 2-6 and spend as much time as I can getting humbled by these mountains.