PDA

View Full Version : Northern BC Hunting

summit151
08-18-2020, 01:15 PM
Hello everyone. I’ll start off by saying I am asking this in a general question and not asking for someone’s hunting spots. I am currently living in central Alberta and I am a avid sheep and elk hunter. I am considering accepting a relocation within my current employer to Fort Saint John and since hunting is a huge part of my life I am wondering how the hunting compares to what Alberta offers. I know the sheep hunting seems to be better then what Alberta has to
offer. Personal messages are welcome instead of posting on this thread

Thanks!

walks with deer
08-18-2020, 01:22 PM
alberta wildlife is managed way better as a whole than bc..

summit151
08-18-2020, 01:32 PM
Any reasons why? I find Alberta does a terrible job of managing trophy potential and sheep hunting has become a disaster in Alberta now.

2chodi
08-18-2020, 02:26 PM
Elk, sheep, mule and WT deer, moose, black bears are all on general open season in region 7B.

Walking Buffalo
08-18-2020, 02:43 PM
Why do you think current Alberta Sheep hunting is a disaster?

tyreguy
08-18-2020, 03:06 PM
Are you sure you want to come here??
NDP would be enough to turn me off!!!:lol:

Retiredguy
08-18-2020, 05:19 PM
Having lived in both provinces, I think I would definitely pick BC if you are an ardent sheep hunter as you have stone, RM bighorn and Cal. bighorn, and a small area with a few dalls in the extreme NW. Not to mention superb goat hunting, which is almost non-existent in AB. You also have decent mountain caribou hunting, although it is most assuredly not like it was in the old days. I am sure you know all about what is available in the BC Peace.

I can remember packing in to good sheep country in AB only to find there was not a blade of grass left due to all the summer pack trips that had been run in the area and at times during the sheep season it seemed like there was a couple of ponies and guys glassing on every ridge in sight. I have found the same thing in the Kootenays here in BC. Sadly both these great provinces have one major problem. WAY TOO MANY PEOPLE!!! I long for the old days when you could charter into a lake and have the world to yourself, hunting for a week or two and never seeing another person. You can still get away from it, but it is getting harder and harder all the time.

338edgehunter
08-19-2020, 12:56 PM
I live and work in fort st john i sent ya a pm i can help you out always looking for more people to hunt with

summit151
08-19-2020, 02:37 PM
Why do you think current Alberta Sheep hunting is a disaster?

I wouldn’t say a complete disaster but the last 5 years of sheep hunting all I have seen is old mature rams with Broomed off horns or mature rams with bad genetics that never reach the 4/5th rule. Which lets these old mature rams do most of the breeding. The last few years also has gotten extremely busy. The last few years of Ariel surveys have a count of less then 2% legal rams on hunt able areas. Something needs to change soon

summit151
08-19-2020, 02:39 PM
Having lived in both provinces, I think I would definitely pick BC if you are an ardent sheep hunter as you have stone, RM bighorn and Cal. bighorn, and a small area with a few dalls in the extreme NW. Not to mention superb goat hunting, which is almost non-existent in AB. You also have decent mountain caribou hunting, although it is most assuredly not like it was in the old days. I am sure you know all about what is available in the

I can remember packing in to good sheep country in AB only to find there was not a blade of grass left due to all the summer pack trips that had been run in the area and at times during the sheep season it seemed like there was a couple of ponies and guys glassing on every ridge in sight. I have found the same thing in the Kootenays here in BC. Sadly both these great provinces have one major problem. WAY TOO MANY PEOPLE!!! I long for the old days when you could charter into a lake and have the world to yourself, hunting for a week or two and never seeing another person. You can still get away from it, but it is getting harder and harder all the time.

Thanks! Ill send you a pm with a few questions

jtred
08-19-2020, 05:51 PM
I moved to the Kootenays from central western AB(Edson) 13 years ago. I wouldn't move back. I love hunting the mountains. It's harder work but incredibly rewarding. The politics suck but then they suck in Alberta too, the whole country for that matter so I wouldn't let that stop you. Too bad you can't shake off the cold winters as well but Ft. St John isn't any warmer than Alberta in winter. I love the winters down here, might not be as sunny but your eyeballs don't freeze to your eyelids and it doesn't hurt to breath.