PDA

View Full Version : Custom hunting boots?

albravo2
08-14-2020, 01:40 PM
Does anybody have any experience with custom hunting boots?

I have a pair of Zamberlan Tofanes that fit me perfectly but I haven't been able to find a higher boot that fits as well.

A couple months ago I read a Lathrop and Sons boot review on Rokslide that got me thinking it might be a worthwhile investment.

A hunting buddy says there is a place in Victoria that makes custom boots for hunters, but he didn't know the name.

Any advice from people that have been down this path before would be appreciated.

RyoTHC
08-14-2020, 01:49 PM
Does anybody have any experience with custom hunting boots?

I have a pair of Zamberlan Tofanes that fit me perfectly but I haven't been able to find a higher boot that fits as well.

A couple months ago I read a Lathrop and Sons boot review on Rokslide that got me thinking it might be a worthwhile investment.

A hunting buddy says there is a place in Victoria that makes custom boots for hunters, but he didn't know the name.

Any advice from people that have been down this path before would be appreciated.

i have nothing to suggest unfortunately, as my boot hunt stopped at the Toffanes.. they are the best boots I’ve ever used, so great choice ! Anything they can’t handle means I bust out the lacrosse alpha burly rubber hunting boots.

TARCHER
08-14-2020, 01:51 PM
Ive owned a pair of Russel high country hunters for 30 yrs. Sent them back ounce for new soles, that said i wear a pair of Lowas more the last few years

Sportster
08-14-2020, 02:11 PM
I'm looking at buying a pair of Kenetrek mountain extremes,I've yet to find a dad review on these boots.not cheap, but you get what you pay for. I think the distributor is in Prince George.

oddsix
08-14-2020, 02:36 PM
I may be wrong but I believe the fellow in Victoria used to live in Smithers and had a business making custom boots up there. Somewhere along the lines I heard he had moved down to the Island. Could also be a different guy?

http://peteward.com/test.vangorkomboot.html

Stone C. Killer
08-14-2020, 03:06 PM
I'll give a bad review on Kenetreks. Mine fall apart every season. Returned them 3 times.

VLD43
08-14-2020, 03:16 PM
Could be Viberg boots. As for lathrop, they are good, but believe they sell Hanwags. If so know you will duty on the boots as they are not made within a NAFTA country. I have a set of Lathrops custom soles or foot beds. Pretty good but not outstanding. Hanwag Trapper Tops are their high top boot. Have two pairs and really like them. You can buy them in Canada, don't need to buy them in the states. Good luck

Squamch
08-16-2020, 06:42 PM
Viberg make great work boots. I'm not sure I'd recommend em for hunting boots. They are big, heavy, leather boots.

leadpillproductions
08-16-2020, 09:02 PM
Lathrop is doing some work to my boots now .and getting there insoles .I will let you know soon as I get them back

grantk
08-21-2020, 10:10 PM
The waterproof membrane on my Kenetreks was shot after about 1.5 seasons. Wont be buying them again.

wildcatter
08-21-2020, 10:48 PM
I may be wrong but I believe the fellow in Victoria used to live in Smithers and had a business making custom boots up there. Somewhere along the lines I heard he had moved down to the Island. Could also be a different guy?

http://peteward.com/test.vangorkomboot.html

I had a pair of boots made by Van Gorkom and when I got them the one on my left foot was too tight.
After trying for a few days hoping they fit better by wearing for a while, I called him up and explained
what was the problem, but he seemed miffed and were trying to tell me that I probably didn't measure
my feet properly and they will wear in, however I insisted and finally he said, OK send them back and
I will fix them, by that time I didn't want those boots and changed my order to the Yukon boots, similar
but an earlier version in this link:
http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Footwear/Winter%20Boots/Van%20Gorkom%20Yukon%20Boots/Owner%20Review%20by%20Istvan%20Hernadi/
They are well made but I didn't wear them enough to find out how long the will last.

One of the best and longest lasting boots I ever had were a pair of Vasque, not the heavy ones, but they
were excellent even in pretty rough terrain, other than that a pair of Meindl served me very well.
They may not be the same quality as they were many years ago.