PDA

View Full Version : Recommend a GPS?

MichelD
08-14-2020, 12:59 PM
I see Cabela's has the Garmin 64 sx GPs on sale for $300. I'm thinking of getting into the GPS world.

What do you guys think is a decent unit in that price range? Or should I aim higher?

Aaron600
08-14-2020, 02:13 PM
Get something with the SOS function and allows txting.

Sportster
08-14-2020, 02:19 PM
Have you checked out the Ihunter app? Might be worth a look before you spend your money on a GPS.

Bugle M In
08-14-2020, 02:22 PM
I have a Garmin and like it.
Can add BC backroad Map Card to them, which I find practical.

Now, unless you hunt with partners and want to know where they are at "real time", then you need the Rhino version of Garmins.
BUT, your hunting buddies have to be willing to fork out the cash as well, as they only work between Rhino's.

srupp
08-14-2020, 02:23 PM
Hmm go Garmin 610 Montana. .get a micro SD card with topo contours BC maps, put a plastic film screen saver on it..
talk with GPS CENTRAL in Alberta..great knowledge., service.. prices
Send a PM with pH # if you have more questions.
Cheers
Steven

Skogkatt
08-14-2020, 02:31 PM
I am using Garmin 64s and I like it a lot.

allan
08-14-2020, 02:47 PM
I have a rhino (530) I think, With bc map books card for bc. I used to poll my friends, talk on the radio with them ( it’s the 5 w, us version not sold in can) however my friends all quit , too busy or moved away and I do t use it too much anymore. It’s a good GPS. I am considering selling it but am not sure yet.

Nero
08-14-2020, 03:15 PM
I have the unit, liking it a lot. Very good price indeed.

MichelD
08-14-2020, 04:56 PM
Have you checked out the Ihunter app? Might be worth a look before you spend your money on a GPS.

I suppose that goes in a cell phone? I have no data on my phone plan. It's just for calling.

What units offer an SOS function and texting?

srupp
08-14-2020, 05:22 PM
Get a Garmin with bc back roads. .for location..and
Garmin mini or globalstar Gen X. .for emergencies or/and texting..
each do different things.
Steven

dak0ta
08-14-2020, 05:31 PM
+1 Garmin 64S. Got it via Costco.

jlirot
08-14-2020, 08:48 PM
I've had my 66i for a short time now. It's amazing. There's a learning curve but totally worth it.

Wentrot
08-14-2020, 08:58 PM
I've had my 66i for a short time now. It's amazing. There's a learning curve but totally worth it.

Definitely a learning curve, just got mine recently and there are more bells and whistles than anticipated.

BH260
08-15-2020, 08:31 AM
Got a garmin rino. Very nice unit if your hunting partners have them. If not get a simpler unit. But get the brmb chip, best thing you can do for it, really enhances the capabilities.

jlirot
08-15-2020, 10:42 AM
Definitely a learning curve, just got mine recently and there are more bells and whistles than anticipated.

What confused me is that some functions are available on your linked phone and some are not. Too many bells and whistles in some cases - at least for me. It's a space shuttle for sure.

mike31154
08-15-2020, 12:42 PM
Hmm go Garmin 610 Montana. .get a micro SD card with topo contours BC maps, put a plastic film screen saver on it..
talk with GPS CENTRAL in Alberta..great knowledge., service.. prices
Send a PM with pH # if you have more questions.
Cheers
Steven

+1 on this advice. Montana is a rugged unit. I had an Oregon for years & it served me well, so Montana was an easy choice.

elknut
08-15-2020, 12:50 PM
If you got the money go for the Montana 700 or the 700i...or if you want a camera also the 750i...Big bucks but new technology and a beautiful screen ..5 inch diagonal screen..Looks very easy to use ..I will get one this fall myself ..Dennis

cameron0518
08-15-2020, 01:03 PM
I think it is a good starting point and you will be happy with it. I prefer to hunt rather than play with my GPS and all the bells and whistles when in the bush. Only use it when I need to.

MichelD
08-15-2020, 02:36 PM
I think it is a good starting point and you will be happy with it. I prefer to hunt rather than play with my GPS and all the bells and whistles when in the bush. Only use it when I need to.

Well this is it. I've always done fine with a compass and dead reckoning and whenever I've hunted with GPS owners, they seem to spend more time f**king with their unit than hunting.

srupp
08-15-2020, 05:55 PM
Well this is it. I've always done fine with a compass and dead reckoning and whenever I've hunted with GPS owners, they seem to spend more time f**king with their unit than hunting.

Sorry buddy..IMO THE most must have for any hunter .PERIOD.
it opens up the entire province..fastest route to nearest road exit, help..
16 started hunting 63 coming up to 64..my MOST important piece of hunting kit.
Steven

Retiredguy
08-15-2020, 06:31 PM
I completely agree that a good GPS is a great piece of equipment, however I know what MichelD is saying. I am also in my early 60's and I use one, but I have to say when they first came out I was worried about where it would lead. As has happened with so many tech items, people quickly begin to rely on them and either forget what they have been taught in how to function without the tech or never bother learning in the first place because of the tech. In the last couple of decades I have seen my worst fears come to pass...not only do people just play with the things all the time (GPS/cell phone etc.) they have no idea how to properly read a map and use a compass. Few watch where they are going and are in deep doodoo when their GPS dies on them.

Even drivers have become totally dependant on their dash unit that gives them directions. I have seen people absolutely have a hemorrhage when it dies and quits talking to them. They don't know east from west. I also think about calculators. Same problem. Back when they were not allowed in schools and you had to learn to add, multiply and subtract. As they loosened their use things worsened and when they began letting kids use them to do their homework and on exams...well now you have to have little pictures on the cash registers so that the brain surgeons can just hit a picture of a Big Mac to let the "machine" figure it out.

All you have to do is watch a lot of the questions that get asked on this forum to see how sad things have become. Many need to be spoon fed and have their hands held for just about everything. A GPS can be a great tool, but I think people should learn the basics before they get one.

srupp
08-15-2020, 07:50 PM
I completely agree that a good GPS is a great piece of equipment, however I know what MichelD is saying. I am also in my early 60's and I use one, but I have to say when they first came out I was worried about where it would lead. As has happened with so many tech items, people quickly begin to rely on them and either forget what they have been taught in how to function without the tech or never bother learning in the first place because of the tech. In the last couple of decades I have seen my worst fears come to pass...not only do people just play with the things all the time (GPS/cell phone etc.) they have no idea how to properly read a map and use a compass. Few watch where they are going and are in deep doodoo when their GPS dies on them.

Even drivers have become totally dependant on their dash unit that gives them directions. I have seen people absolutely have a hemorrhage when it dies and quits talking to them. They don't know east from west. I also think about calculators. Same problem. Back when they were not allowed in schools and you had to learn to add, multiply and subtract. As they loosened their use things worsened and when they began letting kids use them to do their homework and on exams...well now you have to have little pictures on the cash registers so that the brain surgeons can just hit a picture of a Big Mac to let the "machine" figure it out.

All you have to do is watch a lot of the questions that get asked on this forum to see how sad things have become. Many need to be spoon fed and have their hands held for just about everything. A GPS can be a great tool, but I think people should learn the basics before they get one.

Hmm no one said don't learn the basics, no one said leave the compass and paper maps at home..
GPS tells you EXACTLY where you are..that there is a road 150 meters through that Bush. .gives you a Birdseye of the terrain, Rd, creeks meadows..where exactly your dead moose is..closest easiest access..
Paper maps , compass gets you close. .GPS gets you exact..+...--- 3 meters..paired with inreach..Global...rescue..prehospital emergency help..faster..maybe making the difference
Here in the Cariboo..the terrain for the most part is flat and heavily treed..no landmarks..maps are way less use than sattalite mapping location.
We now use rangefinders, rifle scopes, modern technology. ..if available..use it..in my view proficiency in GPS should be mandatory for hunting license.yup that important.
I would give up my rifle scope before my GPS..once found most game can be approached within 200 yards..most.
1 shot on a 14 day hunt..GPS would get far more use.
Fly in hunts, remote hunts new areas..not even close.
Guys fiddling with GPS...Hmmm means they have not become familiar with their equipment..range time..hiking with packs. .breaking in boots. .spend time becoming well used to your GPS..keep up on your mapping skills..compass use.
Cheers
srupp

MichelD
08-15-2020, 09:57 PM
Sorry buddy..IMO THE most must have for any hunter .PERIOD.
it opens up the entire province..fastest route to nearest road exit, help..
16 started hunting 63 coming up to 64..my MOST important piece of hunting kit.
Steven

Steven, I'm not arguing with you. That's why I was asking for advice on what to get.

I'm 67, been hunting since I was 15, been thinking about a GPs for years. I'm not denying they are useful.

Bought a Magellan on sale about 10 years ago, it was the most user-unfriendly piece of crap I've ever wasted $ on. Then the screen blew out in less than a year and there was no warranty.

But I'll betcha if you ask my wife what I should get she'd want me to get an InReach or some other unit that would give me the option of calling,texting or emailing home every day to tell her I'm okay. She's not to comfortable with me taking off on my own for three or four days without knowing that I'm okay or not.

There were a few place where I was bear hunting this spring where I got high enough up that i was in range of cell towers and she was delighted that I could call and check in.

srthomas75
08-15-2020, 10:07 PM

I agree with Retired guy. people do rely on their tech too much nowadays. I'm not saying don't get a gps unit, but I think in this case a basic simple one will do all that is required for the OP. I own one or two? but haven't used them in 10? 12? years. this isn't because I don't like them its because I am familiar with the area that I spend time hunting. If someone hunts the same chunk of land again and again then they should have a good idea where all the local roads are located. Some people spend their time on an atv, and some spend all day on foot so it depends on what their style is. Also the SOS type units would be good for emergency use and could provide some peace of mind as well.

kootenaycarver
08-16-2020, 10:11 AM
I have used a Garmin 60's series GPS for the last 10 yrs or so. Found them to be very reliable. 30,000 plus Geocache finds from the NWT to Mexico. The more add on features you get, the less battery life you have(significantly less) Always carry spare batteries. I have almost, all of my gear that requires batteries. now using AA bats. Headlight, camera, GPS. Garmin In-reach and rangefinder are the exceptions.

Trapper
08-16-2020, 01:24 PM
Thanks srupp
i just ordered a Garmin 610 montana (with back road maps) from GPS Central . Good price thanks for all the great wisdom you have . you might be getting a phone call from to figure it out ..lol

mike31154
08-16-2020, 03:16 PM
+1 on this advice. Montana is a rugged unit. I had an Oregon for years & it served me well, so Montana was an easy choice.
Here is my old Oregon 200 mounted on the bike. I'd still have it if I hadn't tried to self repair a scratch on the screen. Ordered a replacement screen but ended up breaking an internal connector during the fix. I should have left it alone, it still functioned great & wasn't a huge scratch, but it bugged me. Anyhow, as mentioned it was a great unit for years, rugged & reliable. The 200 was pretty much the simplest model as far as features at the time, no barometric altimeter or magnetic compass, so all the data relied on GPS signal. Worked fine for what I needed. So it was a no brainer to get the Montana when the time came. Don't need a camera, so the 610 is great. It's a larger unit than the Oregon, bigger screen helps with my ageing eyes.

Once you get to know how to use it, there's not a lot of fiddling...... set it up & hit the power button while hiking to bring up the screen & show where u at.... Mounted on a vehicle with power, it can be on all the time & set to automotive profile for driving. The Montana can be viewed either vertically or horizontally for wider screen.

https://hll43a.bl.files.1drv.com/y4m0ra3dsAHp4T3ygS4qJby7954oyeOUXqTXAvcPAaFfqs8ojT ZR4N_e8fcDSP3CT-oYmOqHHJsOehdvwFIM6u5H5UXuTaa7tUugnr3OTJNnEE6QroD1 pNR7OXQH_oYvJi1CMNrjWTdm5d1qAPG6CgpyrTleAdAlrEiPX2 M1a2W7ZBTzEdRy7XIjySkblzfqmfv?width=1024&height=768&cropmode=none

I certainly agree that good mapping skills are also necessary. But you can't do this kind of chit with a map & compass...... record your track, import to Google Earth for posterity, future reference..... well maybe you can if you really want to, but that would be a hella lot more fiddling than I need to do with my GPS....

https://btl9mg.dm.files.1drv.com/y4mm3NJWLVkrt2555EaQ7iH5TUVOEbZwmBzW63PuFtr0-9qpUH9-az8We1eVMpzuVSUrDP6uej6HJkk79-_00DXxFLhIrlBGZLFeh4rMuvBVhT6gfTNsajsV6YlK7lWk6o9-TkCaEqAD9QFZbYQAjnRAt364wneZpowtqUWWDCrIwIolZ-6u3_5LLP2yBvDd-dhMmbOYiCs8ZxhoapvuYDFBQ?width=1024&height=558&cropmode=none

r106
08-16-2020, 04:00 PM
I've been using a Garmin 60 or 62 CSX I believe is the model with the off road map book on it. . Been a great unit

srupp
08-17-2020, 04:42 PM
Hmm sorry Michael..I've been short tempered for a bit.old age and illness doesn't excuse it.
I give my recommendations after decades of use and comparison..not trying to pressure you.
Just amazed how GPS has helped my hunting in so many ways.it's been great,again my ideas based on decades of real world experience and also listening to real experts..if GPS CENTRAL 1..800..585..9331..CalgaRyan
I'm currently drawing a map of where I'm headed to for my 6 week bug out for hunting deer/moose so Susan has a exact location
If you have questions I may have answers to,please send PM with phone # and I will call.
There are no dumb questions.
Sorry again if I was short or came across arrogant. .
Cheers
Steven

Sportster
08-18-2020, 10:00 AM
I suppose that goes in a cell phone? I have no data on my phone plan. It's just for calling.

What units offer an SOS function and texting?

I don't believe you need data or cellular signal for this app to work. As long as you have GPS satellite signal it works. Too many features to list. I know that the CO agency's are using this app because of the many features including, hunting start times and end times, what's open for hunting in a particular mu. Contact information for land and lease owners. Just to name a few.

Darksith
08-18-2020, 10:43 AM
Use your cellphone. It does it all