PDA

View Full Version : Moose LEH 6-9 September

Skogkatt
08-13-2020, 11:54 AM
Hi,

This is going to be my first experience hunting and I have been reading/watching videos about how to call a moose where to look for one etc. I will be doing 1 or 2 days hunts in different weekends and even tough I am sure I will not have success I want to make sure I bring the basics to the hunt and if I am lucky by any chance I can field-dress the animal properly and I will not have a terrible experience with the weather etc.

This is what I have done:

I have been zeroing my rifle to 100 yards because I do not expect longer shoots. However, I will go to the range to practice at 200 yards.

I will start scouting some areas I would like to hunt, I already did it on a map.

This is what I have for the hunt :

Rifle + Scope + ammo
Backpack
Good pair of boots (Goretex) but I do not think I need insulated boots for September
Good rain jacket + pants
Knife + Serrated Knife for bones or wood
Binos
GPS
Rangefinder
Water purifier
Hatchet

Any tips or trick to look for the moose or have a better experience during the hunt? any advice will help.

Thanks

firstshot
08-13-2020, 11:58 AM
Rope, tarp possibly game bags? You don’t really NEED much, some stuff just makes your life a lot easier. Good luck!

CheesyLimper
08-13-2020, 12:34 PM
Bring a bear tag or two as well.

MichelD
08-13-2020, 03:10 PM
Check private message

RyoTHC
08-13-2020, 05:29 PM
Are you doing this solo?
with or without a machine?

if it’s solo without a machine that’s a daunting task!
myself and my hunting buddy got two bull tags between us and decided it was a fools game without machines and went out and bought a couple.. I’d try to borrow one or find one if you don’t have it !

Fennemonster
08-14-2020, 01:50 PM
see you out there. My brother has a draw and we will be hitting the area hard. Already pre scouting and not seeing much for sign yet.

Skogkatt
08-14-2020, 02:24 PM
I am going with one more person no machines. We will do whatever we can!

Bigdoggdon
08-14-2020, 04:22 PM
Shooting them is the easy part. Make sure you have a plan for what you're going to do once it's on the ground. Quarter it? Debone it? Cut in half? Will you need Hand saw, cordless saws all or Chainsaw with vegetable oil instead of chain oil to cut through bone? Rope to drag to road with truck? Pack boards or stretcher if its a ways in the bush? Remember they are a really big animal not likely to go in the truck whole.

Skogkatt
09-08-2020, 12:01 PM
I have been scouting first light in the morning and last light at night in different lakes, and open areas in Smithers, Telkwa and Houston and I did not see any moose... I am a little dissapointed because I have seen millions of bears (Grizzlys and black bears tho).

Any recommendations?

walks with deer
09-08-2020, 12:04 PM
i hunted it the bow season and the entire early rifle season last year...no moose were harmed just grouse

Retiredguy
09-08-2020, 12:10 PM
I have a draw for 6-9 (rut season) as well. Keep looking as there are some moose out there, especially when you get away from the roads. ;) Bears are everywhere and the grizzlies are starting to hang by the salmon streams in some places. There is a lot of logging and PAPC activity out there in some areas as well.

Good luck!

walks with deer
09-08-2020, 01:01 PM
if you find a sign thats not been shot i will be suprised.

Cordillera
09-10-2020, 06:02 AM
Here’s a couple suggestions on your list.

In this country you should be prepared to shoot out to 200 yards. There are lots of openings where that is the shot you will get. Sight in 2 inches high at 100 and you are level at 200 with most rifles. Get shooting sticks or something as there is often brush and no rest. Practice estimating distance or get a rangefinder. Sometimes a moose looks close but distances can be deceiving and it turns out it’s further than you think.

Be prepared for recovery in water. Everything is crazy wet this year. Keep a set of waders in your vehicle. Have a good rope and pulley system available so you can drag a moose to higher ground if needed. I use a pin kit for canoeing that includes 75 m static line, Prussiks, two pulleys, and webbing to wrap around trees. Some people just keep a come a long handy.

Good luck.

chris
09-10-2020, 06:14 AM
I think there is a typo with the above message. If you sight in 22" high at 100 yards you will be close to 20" high at 200 yard. Most rifles will only drop a few inches between 100 and 200 yards

walks with deer
09-10-2020, 08:06 AM
ya 12 inches low at 300 with two inches high at 100

howa1500
09-12-2020, 06:47 PM
My uncles saying always was, never shoot a moose farther then the amount of rope you have in your truck..

If you connect with anything in the bush, and two of you, you guys better know how to cut up and devine a moose. Otherwise you can expect to do about 6 loads at the very minimum back to your truck (4 quarters, head, ribs)
I'd skin, and debone as much as possible, both the hide and the bones are a lot of weight

Cordillera
09-14-2020, 06:08 AM
Oops....corrected. 2 inch is better��