PDA

View Full Version : Kokanee Fishing for Beginners

Ben Fougere
08-12-2020, 08:45 PM
In this video, we walk you thru some of the techniques we use to catch kokanee. This is a great video for those who want to learn how to catch kokanee.

https://youtu.be/nFhgBNY2QYA

lovemywinchester
08-13-2020, 08:12 AM
Very informative video Ben but there's no money shot!! No 5lb koks landed on the video??

elch jager
08-13-2020, 09:17 PM
Thx Ben!

Was at Peterhope catching rainbows and wondered how to get some tasty kokanees. I'll have to gear up before my next trip.

Ben Fougere
08-22-2020, 02:33 PM
Very informative video Ben but there's no money shot!! No 5lb koks landed on the video??

Haha. I wish there was a 5lb kokanee in that video. For a 5lb kokanee, I'll need to try Kal or Bridge Lake. Maybe next year.

Ben Fougere
08-26-2020, 10:22 PM
Thx Ben!

Was at Peterhope catching rainbows and wondered how to get some tasty kokanees. I'll have to gear up before my next trip.

You won't be disappointed. Kokanee taste amazing. I prefer eating kokanee over trout now.

HikerHunter
08-27-2020, 05:22 PM
so im guessing i cant fly fish for them? unless i use a sinking line i guess...

srupp
08-27-2020, 05:42 PM
Hmm thank you Ben for sharing your time..knowleege..skills to help us wanna be kokanee fishermen. .
Always appreciate your information.
Be well
Steven

Ben Fougere
08-27-2020, 06:49 PM
Hmm thank you Ben for sharing your time..knowleege..skills to help us wanna be kokanee fishermen. .
Always appreciate your information.
Be well
Steven

Anytime. I'm always learning when it comes to kokanee fishing. There's definitely more than one way to catch them

Ben Fougere
08-27-2020, 06:51 PM

If you had a longer leader on a floating line and a weight pink fly you might do alright in the spring and the fall. Troll really slow.

Also, some guys do well in the spring indicator fishing chironomids. I've found shrimp, bloodworms, glass worms and chironomids in their stomach ice fishing and in the spring.

Kill-da-wabbit
08-27-2020, 06:52 PM
Sure you can! Just use a sinking line or floater with 20' leader (just like a chronomid) and a small flashy pink or orange attractor fly. It looks silly to be casting in the middle of the lake, but once you find a school, you will fill your cooler quickly.

thick
08-27-2020, 08:18 PM
Full sink, 10-12’ 6lb leader. Red spratley or pink muddler with Silver bead head. 1.6-1.8mph. Lots of slow sweeping S-turns. If you mark fish or catch a fish, circle back over area again....

HikerHunter
08-28-2020, 07:46 PM
wicked! thanks for the tips!