PDA

View Full Version : Cache Creek Predators

IslandWanderer
08-10-2020, 06:13 PM
Hi guys, planning to take my son hunting for wolf, coyote, and bear the first week of September before school starts. Probably stay in Cache Creek and hunt 3-29, 3-30, 3-31, etc.

Looks like there's a tonne of roads to cruise and then go for hikes. We've never been out that way, is it a good place to go hunting for predators? Is it crown land for the most part?
Cheers

John

browningboy
08-10-2020, 07:33 PM
You just mentioned hundreds of square kilometres, all of them hold preditors, just get in the woods and find sign!

IslandWanderer
08-10-2020, 07:42 PM
You just mentioned hundreds of square kilometres, all of them hold preditors, just get in the woods and find sign!

Sounds good. I live on the south island, so I'm used to gates and very little crown land. I guess what I'm asking is it gated off, and are there some animals? Satellite imagery looks like the trees are a bit sparse in that part of the world.

4 point
08-10-2020, 07:51 PM
Down in the valleys less trees more open, Coyote country. Higher up lots of trees. Very few gates in the interior except for private property ie ranches etc.

IslandWanderer
08-10-2020, 07:56 PM
Down in the valleys less trees more open, Coyote country. Higher up lots of trees. Very few gates in the interior except for private property ie ranches etc.

Much appreciated. We're looking to learn about new areas and types of terrain. I'm so used to hunting on the coast that the interior landscapes seems really unfamiliar.

CranePete
08-10-2020, 10:19 PM
Road closures still in place due to Elephant Hill fires?

walks with deer
08-11-2020, 07:02 AM
why not go to one of the mus that 4 point is open?

browningboy
08-11-2020, 07:47 AM
Sounds good. I live on the south island, so I'm used to gates and very little crown land. I guess what I'm asking is it gated off, and are there some animals? Satellite imagery looks like the trees are a bit sparse in that part of the world.

Pretty rare to find a gate to be honest, lots of preds around Boneparte Lake, lots of roads and deactivations, Deadman valley is another good spot! I’ve never hunted the island so I don’t relate to the gate thing, but you’ll have plenty of space to roam...

russm
08-11-2020, 08:05 AM
Road closures still in place due to Elephant Hill fires?

Pretty sure they extended the atv closure area this year

IslandWanderer
08-11-2020, 08:28 AM
Pretty rare to find a gate to be honest, lots of preds around Boneparte Lake, lots of roads and deactivations, Deadman valley is another good spot! I’ve never hunted the island so I don’t relate to the gate thing, but you’ll have plenty of space to roam...

Thanks, that's great to hear. We'll check those spots out. We're staying in Cache Creek for 5 nights, so hoping to at least get a coyote. My taxidermist is going to do a 1/2 mount if we're successful. Looks like wolf is open too.

boxhitch
08-11-2020, 08:30 AM
What a strange thread topic
Has never been to BC interior and wants to chase dogs instead of deer
Amusing thanks

IslandWanderer
08-11-2020, 08:35 AM
Amusing thanks

Thanks for your input. I got 6 deer (Island and QC) and a bear last year so hoping to try something different. We'll of course be watching for 4 point during the early season as ours doesn't open till the 10th on the island. My 11 year old son is looking forward to doing some calling.

IslandWanderer
08-11-2020, 08:37 AM
why not go to one of the mus that 4 point is open?

Thanks, we're doing that too. We did the same 2 years ago in a different spot, no luck but had a great trip.

Weatherby Fan
08-11-2020, 09:06 AM
You can pretty much hunt anywhere in the 3 MUs you mentioned and find coyotes/wolves to hunt, Ive seen and shot both out by Bonaparte Lake just to mention a place, get yourself an Electronic caller as they work really well and I have called both Wolves and Coyotes in with one.

IslandWanderer
08-11-2020, 09:21 AM
You can pretty much hunt anywhere in the 3 MUs you mentioned and find coyotes/wolves to hunt, Ive seen and shot both out by Bonaparte Lake just to mention a place, get yourself an Electronic caller as they work really well and I have called both Wolves and Coyotes in with one.

Thanks, I just got a foxpro inferno, decoy attachment, extra foxpro speaker, 4 cases of enerloop rechargeables. and have an alpha dog and wobblin' rabbit as a backup. Lol, this might be the most expensive coyote taken in BC this year.

Edit: not an inferno, I have a fusion.

IslandWanderer
08-11-2020, 09:42 AM

Bonaparte sounds great. Also hoping to road hunt for a black bear that's a different colour (brownish) if we're lucky. Have you seen any around those MU's?

CranePete
08-11-2020, 10:06 AM
There are 3 gates in that general area that I’ve come across, although I can only recall the one into Brown Creek(S of Red Creek Ranch). Not a great hindrance, as there’s lots of country to explore.

IslandWanderer
08-11-2020, 12:16 PM
There are 3 gates in that general area that I’ve come across, although I can only recall the one into Brown Creek(S of Red Creek Ranch). Not a great hindrance, as there’s lots of country to explore.

Thanks, I'm looking forward to being able to explore some new country. Nearest huntable crown land from my house is 1.5 hours drive.

browningboy
08-11-2020, 12:19 PM
Thanks, that's great to hear. We'll check those spots out. We're staying in Cache Creek for 5 nights, so hoping to at least get a coyote. My taxidermist is going to do a 1/2 mount if we're successful. Looks like wolf is open too.

If you are able to, try to get one of those Fox calls, heard people use them all the time to attract them?

stan
08-11-2020, 12:57 PM
You should stay on the island.

stan
08-11-2020, 01:03 PM
Half mount a coyote lol

IslandWanderer
08-11-2020, 07:10 PM
Half mount a coyote lol

Google it. It looks cool, and more importantly, my son will like it.

walks with deer
08-11-2020, 07:33 PM
Amusing thanks

i agree with caribou moose elk sheep goats muley open with a rifle no brainer..

maybe he will get smarter with some tine off the rock and realize what our province is like..
hell if he wanta to kill preda power too him lota of colour phase around...

pretty obvious single dad doing his best got to at least respect that.

Weatherby Fan
08-11-2020, 07:54 PM
Bonaparte sounds great. Also hoping to road hunt for a black bear that's a different colour (brownish) if we're lucky. Have you seen any around those MU's?

Yes in the MU's you mention Ive seen everything from Blonde, Cinnamon to Black, I seen a Black Bear sow with 3 cubs a cpl weeks back just south of Cache Creek and every cub was a different colour and none of them were black, so yeh lots colour variations around.

walks with deer
08-12-2020, 02:22 AM
Yes in the MU's you mention Ive seen everything from Blonde, Cinnamon to Black, I seen a Black Bear sow with 3 cubs a cpl weeks back just south of Cache Creek and every cub was a different colour and none of them were black, so yeh lots colour variations around.

yes seems the dryier the climate the more colour the bears have bear hunting is easiest first week of septmber...just have a cooling plan..i would say freezer with you.

labguy
08-12-2020, 04:55 AM
You should stay on the island.

True that. And make sure if you do come to the interior, that you pontificate to all who’ll listen on how wonderful the NDP is and how much you support them and their ideology. I’m sure you’ll get a very warm reception.

IslandWanderer
08-12-2020, 07:25 AM
yes seems the dryier the climate the more colour the bears have bear hunting is easiest first week of septmber...just have a cooling plan..i would say freezer with you.

Thanks, those are good tips. I figure I'll load my freezer and generator into the truck to freeze any hides, and use blocks of ice to cool meat entoute to a butcher in the LML if we get a bear. We might extend our trip with school being postponed so might have to head back and forth with meat if successful.

walks with deer
08-12-2020, 09:44 AM
i see over a dozen a evening first week of septmber..

find the saskatoons there will be lots of bears.

IslandWanderer
08-12-2020, 02:05 PM
i see over a dozen a evening first week of septmber..

find the saskatoons there will be lots of bears.

That's awesome, much appreciated.

browningboy
08-14-2020, 10:34 AM
Thanks, those are good tips. I figure I'll load my freezer and generator into the truck to freeze any hides, and use blocks of ice to cool meat entoute to a butcher in the LML if we get a bear. We might extend our trip with school being postponed so might have to head back and forth with meat if successful.

One thing if you're keeping a hide bring salt with you, not table salt but the larger stuff you can get from the store.

IslandWanderer
08-14-2020, 07:27 PM
One thing if you're keeping a hide bring salt with you, not table salt but the larger stuff you can get from the store.

Much appreciated. I definitely worry about the hide and meat on trips.

IslandWanderer
09-01-2020, 02:37 PM
If anyone in cache creek wants to meet up for beers I'm buying. It would need to be at a restaurant, or pub that allows kids though. There until the 8th.

REMINGTON JIM
09-01-2020, 03:07 PM
If anyone in cache creek wants to meet up for beers I'm buying. It would need to be at a restaurant, or pub that allows kids though. There until the 8th.

Ya Hear That ! The NDP is Buying and Paying ! :p lol RJ

Ride Red
09-01-2020, 03:46 PM
Ya Hear That ! The NDP is Buying and Paying ! :p lol RJ

That’s a short drive for you Jim :)

browningboy
09-01-2020, 10:13 PM

when I had my old cabin I would have had you guys just come out, anyways good luck!

walks with deer
09-02-2020, 09:09 PM
plenty good bear hunting in magna bay

IslandWanderer
09-02-2020, 10:06 PM
when I had my old cabin I would have had you guys just come out, anyways good luck!

Thanks, saw a couple deer, but no luck. A doe, and what looked to be a buck running away from us at a high rate of speed. Lots of coyote turds on the old roads we walked. Surprisingly no bears and just a couple of piles of bear poo. We called briefly, and plan to do more this week.

Bugle M In
09-02-2020, 11:29 PM
Stop at Manny's.
great Pizza and Lamb.
He passed away sadly a couple of years ago.
He had just opened up a restaurant for himself after cooking out of the Sandman there.

Anyways, his partner took over and she has kept his "soul" alive in the cooking dept.
Lamb is a bit pricey, but damn good and i enjoy the pizza for the left over on the the next days hike.
If kids not along, you can order from the bar next door.
Granted, the bar is a dive, but hey, what can you expect being in CC.

IslandWanderer
09-02-2020, 11:37 PM
Stop at Manny's.
great Pizza and Lamb.
He had just opened up a restaurant for himself after cooking out of the Sandman there.

Anyways, his partner took over and she has kept his "soul" alive in the cooking dept.
Lamb is a bit pricey, but damn good and i enjoy the pizza for the left over on the the next days hike.

Thanks, that sounds great, we'll definitely eat there. I love lamb and my son really likes pizza.
We had a late dinner from Hungry Herbies tonight- really good burgers.

browningboy
09-03-2020, 12:56 PM

Lots off apple trees loaded of apples around, lots of feed for bears, see them around from time to time...still haven't hunted up there yet

IslandWanderer
09-05-2020, 11:52 AM

Thanks that sounds great. Is there some crown land around there?

IslandWanderer
09-05-2020, 12:01 PM
Here's a quick report so far:

We watched one medium sized bear briefly, but passed on it.
Some coyote poop around, but no luck with our electronic call yet.

Seeing a couple does a day, but no bucks yet.

Might do some calling north of lillooet this afternoon/evening for coyotes. Hoping that a dryer more open terrain might improve our luck finding one.

Ghilliesuit
09-06-2020, 05:36 PM
First post here. You only got 5 nights. Drive the TMPipeline and look for sign. Probe/walk NorthEast into the valleys and streams. There should be open gates. The landowner can't restrict travel and there is a lot of crown. Crown has a lot of occupied range land, make sure there's not livestock in the vicinity.

stan
09-06-2020, 06:00 PM
**** , how could anybody function without some kin of internet connection

IslandWanderer
09-06-2020, 10:23 PM
We saw a couple more does today. Lots of calling, no dogs, but a brown black bear walked right up behind us. We watched each other for 15 seconds or so, and it wandered off. It was really cool to see.

Saw numerous piles of decent sized dog crap (wolf?) that was all hair while on foot.

Bugle M In
09-07-2020, 01:11 AM
yup, lots of wolves around there now

Rieber
09-07-2020, 07:04 AM
Cache Creek Predators sound like an excellent name for a pro sports team.

Saw an episode of Meat Hunter where they cooked up and at a bit of coyote. Awwwk - can't wrap my head around that. I know in an emergency I might have no choice but has anyone ever tried coyote meat?

HighCountryBC
09-21-2020, 06:22 PM
Amusing thanks

Agreed. This combined with the NDP thread he started (and hasn't responded in) has me scratching my head.

Would love to see some pics of this trip...

Getbent
09-22-2020, 07:55 AM
Cache Creek Predators sound like an excellent name for a pro sports team.

Saw an episode of Meat Hunter where they cooked up and at a bit of coyote. Awwwk - can't wrap my head around that. I know in an emergency I might have no choice but has anyone ever tried coyote meat?

I believe Big Boar did try Coyote once and said it was horrible....

harbinger
12-29-2020, 07:14 AM
He was a great guy, I was there on a solo hunt and was eating in his restaurant. Next thing I know I'm getting bombed on ouzo with him and a cougar outfitter and his client, super fun time and so random. I remember Manny busting out the shot glasses for those guys and he just invited me into the group as I was sitting alone. FUn memory, I'm sorry to hear he passed away!

Stop at Manny's.
great Pizza and Lamb.

twoSevenO
12-29-2020, 08:14 AM
I believe Big Boar did try Coyote once and said it was horrible....

Why the hell would someone even try that?

There was an episode where Randy Newberg shoots a wolf in Montana (I think) and packs out the deboned meat.

Wasnt made clear if he does so with the intention to consume it, but that's effing disgusting.

Though, people eat cougar meat and have good things to say about it, even though it eats essentially the same diet. I never would, though.

Piperdown
12-29-2020, 09:03 AM
Agreed. This combined with the NDP thread he started (and hasn't responded in) has me scratching my head.

Would love to see some pics of this trip...

Well he probably got stuck behind the only gate in Cache Creek and no cell service :mrgreen:

IslandWanderer
12-29-2020, 09:36 AM
https://i.postimg.cc/MnmdKv4W/20200905-183951-HDR.jpg (https://postimg.cc/MnmdKv4W)

https://i.postimg.cc/Ty2QyTMn/20200906-113654.jpg (https://postimg.cc/Ty2QyTMn)

https://i.postimg.cc/Fd7ZZGKR/20200906-162233.jpg (https://postimg.cc/Fd7ZZGKR)

IslandWanderer
12-29-2020, 09:39 AM
https://i.postimg.cc/0rNryQW9/20200904-092118.jpg (https://postimg.cc/0rNryQW9)

https://i.postimg.cc/DmY0JTHL/20200904-165742-HDR.jpg (https://postimg.cc/DmY0JTHL)

Jtt
12-29-2020, 11:46 PM
How was the trip? I see you made it to Bonaparte lake, beauty spot. I live in Cache Creek and camp up there every summer. Would of shown you around if I'd seen this post sooner.

IslandWanderer
12-30-2020, 07:35 PM
How was the trip? I see you made it to Bonaparte lake, beauty spot. I live in Cache Creek and camp up there every summer. Would of shown you around if I'd seen this post sooner.

Thanks, the trip was awesome. Beautiful country. Cache creek is a nice town too. Our motel (Riverside) was excellent. We bought a few big pies from Horstings- really liked them. Multiple trips to DQ as well.

We just saw does, but saw a couple nice bears too. One chocolaté one walked up behind us while we were calling and we watched each other briefly before it ambled off. Saw tonnes of what appeared to be wolf poop on the old roads we walked.

Being from the island, the terrain was really different from what we were used to seeing. The chasm was really cool. Bonaparte lake was grest too. My son had a blast, so we'll likely go again the same week next year.