PDA

View Full Version : Tips for a new goat hunter south central BC

Ray-
08-10-2020, 12:18 PM
Im looking into going spotting around mcbride/valmount,
Rifle in hand of course season will be open.
What features should i be looking for in the early season?
Alpine, sub alpine, valley bottom watering holes,
Ive never hunted other then deer ,moose,bear
Looking to make a long term commitment to goat hunting so even if its now this year it will be later.

Thanks

monasheemountainman
08-10-2020, 12:25 PM
look up way up

porthunter
08-10-2020, 12:31 PM
The first thing to learn with goats, is identifying sex in my opinion.

Goat Alliance has a great video on youtube for identification.

I've personally found with goats, elevation plays alot less of a factor than terrain. Find the nastiest steepest stuff around and glass it, make sure when you find the right goat to shoot, you can recover it.

warnniklz
08-10-2020, 12:56 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J8gUaMx8G7I

warnniklz
08-10-2020, 01:00 PM
Take flagging tape and a lighter. The goat part isn't the hard part, it'll be the getting to them.

Ride
08-10-2020, 01:24 PM
Also most of the zones around McBride and Valemount are LEH

thomas300
08-10-2020, 02:44 PM
Look for Steep Rock bluffs most the goats i've seen this season so far are hanging out high around 4500 feet south facing slopes. and for the love of god learn to sex the ****ing animals. they cant withstand nannies being shot it destroys populations when it happens.

Downtown
08-10-2020, 03:34 PM
Mc Bridea Area. Shot my first Goat above Castle Creek in 74 or 75, wide open Seasons then and plenty of good Billies in those Mountains.

Look for Snowfields near Drop offs. Early in season Billy's like to bed down in wet cold shale, they don't like it hot.

Good Luck & Cheers

twoSevenO
08-10-2020, 04:09 PM
What about later in the season? Say, mid October?
How does the higher snow accumulation, and approaching of the rut change their behavior?

Do you expect them to move out of the rocks and down lower, or only to feed and still stick to the safety of the cliffs?
Is there a pre-rut routine? Can you expect to see a nice billy in the nanny groups mid october, or would they still stick to themselves and their small bachelor groups?

Thanks!

champs
08-10-2020, 05:05 PM
Hike to where you fear for your life on both sides of the ridge top. Now you're in goat country.

Downtown
08-10-2020, 05:59 PM
October Goat hunts are for the most parts for Fools.
Iced up Mountain sides with Snow on them, better bring your climbing Gear. Been there done that, survived to tell the Tales.

In sort, no thanks.

Cheers

4 point
08-10-2020, 08:05 PM
Be careful not to fall. I slide a long way down a shoot once way up high near Lillooet hunting goats. Only one mangy hunk of root to grab or I was 25 ft from going over a huge drop off. Partner thru me a rope or I would not be writing this. Take care in the mountains.

LBM
08-10-2020, 08:29 PM
Iced up Mountain sides with Snow on them, better bring your climbing Gear. Been there done that, survived to tell the Tales.

In sort, no thanks.

Cheers

November is better.

twoSevenO
08-10-2020, 11:07 PM

In sort, no thanks.

Cheers

Plenty of goats out there in killed in October in the timber. Not all goats are in the rocks needing rock climbing gear to get in and out.

Amphibious
08-11-2020, 07:25 AM
buy the book "A Beast the color of winter"

All your questions will be answered.

https://www.amazon.ca/Beast-Color-Winter-Mountain-Observed/dp/0803264216/ref=sr_1_1?crid=381S30WIB1VOV&dchild=1&keywords=a+beast+the+color+of+winter&qid=1597155907&sprefix=a+beast+t%2Caps%2C314&sr=8-1

hawk-i
08-11-2020, 08:03 AM
Spend more time glassing, they are active all day. You may have to glass the same slope for hours before they show themselves, you need patience when glassing. Good luck on your hunt.

BH260
08-11-2020, 08:34 AM
From what I’ve seen in my limited experience is the big Billy’s will be at or near the top where they’re safe, until it’s time to get it on, then they’ll come down. Later season will have to best coat, if you care about that.
If there’s a heavily predator population expect them to be high.
goodluck

boxhitch
08-11-2020, 08:58 AM
IMHO, the goat trophy is the hair not the horn
A mature late season goat makes for a worthy mount, something about a skinny neck Sept goat just looks odd.

Like LML alludes to, November is better
It doesn't take much area size to have goat terrain, timber can help hide an approach
Crampons are your friend

PressurePoint
08-11-2020, 09:07 AM
Being a pair of cheap lightweight flip flops. Wear them when you set up camp and are just hanging out after a hunt. Your feet will love you for it. Also, pack a couple carrots. They are sturdy and don’t require any work. And after a couple of days of granola and mountain house meals, some carrots look mighty tasty

knothead
08-11-2020, 04:21 PM
This is just about the best book on goats out there

https://www.chapters.indigo.ca/en-ca/books/a-beast-the-color-of/9780803264212-item.html