PDA

View Full Version : I forgot....

upperleftcoaster
08-10-2020, 11:47 AM
So the wife and I wanted to get out of town and we went camping on the long weekend. got all loaded up, packed the truck, braved the shitty traffic. half way up the coquihalla i realize that we have no air mattress/sleeping pads and no camp stove. dang it! and those are fairly important items on my car camping list. wal-mart saved the day, but we got lucky it wasn't closed yet.

now i'm going through my hunting gear and getting organized for the fall. made me wonder if anyone has some funny, "i forgot..." hunting stories.

MichelD
08-10-2020, 11:57 AM
Forgot coffee one time and felt like I couldn't wake up the whole trip despite drinking copious amounts of black tea.

Quit coffee a long time ago and now only drink black tea in the morning only while hunting but that affects me to the point now that I think it gives me high blood pressure.

Fella
08-10-2020, 11:59 AM
So the wife and I wanted to get out of town and we went camping on the long weekend. got all loaded up, packed the truck, braved the shitty traffic. half way up the coquihalla i realize that we have no air mattress/sleeping pads and no camp stove. dang it! and those are fairly important items on my car camping list. wal-mart saved the day, but we got lucky it wasn't closed yet.

now i'm going through my hunting gear and getting organized for the fall. made me wonder if anyone has some funny, "i forgot..." hunting stories.

not exactly hunting related but I one time drove up to the Victoria f&g club to sight a few rifles in. Got there, got all setup, first rifle is on the bag and hmmm somethings missing. Bolt isn’t there. Check my bag, nope still can’t find it. Ok, put the rifle back in the case and put the next one on the bag. Same thing. Wtf?? Drive home and both bolts are sitting on my work bench from when I was cleaning the guns.

RugDoctor
08-10-2020, 12:03 PM
Had to hunt in runners a time or two.

warnniklz
08-10-2020, 12:04 PM
I spent August Long on a mountain with no fire starter and no bug spray... no house, mr. noodle or coffee for me that trip.

Forgot boots once too. Chucks are pretty nice for archery hunting... if you can avoid ice.
https://scontent.fyka1-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/fr/cp0/e15/q65/47378581_10161333322485387_1307216667117355008_n.j pg?_nc_cat=110&_nc_sid=0be424&efg=eyJpIjoidCJ9&_nc_ohc=2ZxjorZin3IAX8Ewi1-&_nc_oc=AQm_ay-toPOos0fsu5IANoMuu_akD5w5Enm32qHb9exTwV6bIvhtfen3I BFiUjpA13iWAEqRYSE6qbpFIYvkWMPC&_nc_ht=scontent.fyka1-1.fna&tp=14&oh=97b01afa96005b5a5cf18d2e01cd9430&oe=5F57533B

This right here made me laugh:

I was loading the truck for a camping trip when the wife came in the garage and asked if ive got the propane, my response was " what kind of idiot do you think I am?" Got to the spot camp was mostly set up and I realized there was no propane lol

Weatherby Fan
08-10-2020, 12:47 PM
Forgot my Leica binoculars on a two week trip once, pouted the whole time..............Still got our Elk and Deer !

Astepanuk
08-10-2020, 12:52 PM
Hiked into my favourite WT spot, target buck started walking across the field right towards me couldn't believe it, go to connect my release to my bow and "NO REALSE" forgot the darn thing in the truck so frustrated attempted a shot with my fingers but couldn't get set in time for him to walk away forever, never seen him again after that failure!!!

simonvancouver
08-10-2020, 01:13 PM
my knife for skinning a deer...... :oops:

champs
08-10-2020, 01:29 PM
Sleeping bags in October. Brrr

adriaticum
08-10-2020, 01:45 PM
I don't have any "forgot" stories.
And if I did, I probably forgot.

srupp
08-10-2020, 01:59 PM
I don't have any "forgot" stories.
And if I did, I probably forgot.

LMAO. ..
Steven

StuBrown
08-10-2020, 02:03 PM
I drink lots of coffee, probably too much. I forgot it on a fly in trip and spent the entire first day with headaches and withdrawal. Defiantly learned my lesson.

caddisguy
08-10-2020, 02:06 PM

Good thread topic LOL

Glad you were able to pick up the items you needed for the trip.

We are usually pretty good about remembering everything, but we have had a few forgotten items... here they are in no particular order:

1) Heading out to a lake fishing... after about 1.5 hours driving, I felt like something was missing... quick shoulder check to look back at the gear... no electric motor.... so I did a lot of paddling that weekend... not a huge deal as the lake was fairly calm

2) Heading to the same lake on a different day... had that "something missing feeling" ... asked my wife where my back pack was (it had my some fly fishing essentials such as tippet, leaders, flybox, etc) ... "I didnt bring it down to the car... I left it by the door in case you wanted to pack any last minute things like I alwasy do" (yep she's right) ... that was after about an hour of driving. Going back was really the only option if we wanted to do any serious fishing, so we went back. It was a late night too. Imagine commute 2 hours to work, work 10 hours, commute 2 hours home, help pack up the jeep, drive 1 hour, turn around and go home 1 hour, drive for 2.5 hours.

3) When out for a weekend solo hunt. The Friday and Saturday were still "bow season" but the Sunday would be rifle season. I would have brought my rifle either way for bear deterrent around camp, rifle season starting on the last morning aside. Anyway, well... I did bring the rifle. I arrived at camp, sorted out the "jeep nest", pulled out my 30-06 sleeping buddy and was trying to sort out the best way to orient it so that if I needed to I would be able to jack one in quickly in case asshole bear (remember him?) decided to have another go at me. So I went to work the bolt, only to notice there was no bolt. Well, no camp rifle / backup rifle that weekend. Was terrified that I would see a big old buck at 200 yards the morning of the 10th. Though that never happened... never does LOL

4) Last December on another solo hunt, a miscommunication at home left me to realise at camp that I hunt no real hunting clothes. I was one of those weekends that were going to be just above freezing and pouring the whole time. All I had was a couple cotton hoodies and a pair of jeans and some other thin pair of cabelas pants... realized it the first night I arrived at camp and wanted to sleep in a jacket. A lot of cussing ensued. I did not see how I was possibly going to be able to hunt any significant amount of time that weekend. I figured I can go as long as I can handle it with one pair of clothes, but once that is saturated with water, I have to save the other clothes for sleeping and maybe road hunting. I was contemplating garbage bag ponchos and all sorts of stuff. By some insane luck, the heavy rain was mostly dark until dawn. I never did get water logged. A little bit chilly went sitting around or still hunting, but it all worked out.

Other times, it's not things you forget to bring. It's things you forget at home "you turned the oven off right?, "I'm pretty sure I did", "PRETTY SURE!?" ... same thing with the portable AC units that will flood the place if left unattented... so we have driven back varying distances a few times (I think always for no reason... but if you're not sure, you gotta check)

Well, that's all I can "remember" for now.

browningboy
08-10-2020, 02:10 PM
Just a weekend hunt forgot my underwear, socks and hunting boots.. LOL

BRvalley
08-10-2020, 03:15 PM
I have a lot of extra gear because I forgot stuff at home

my most notable story, I realized I forget my fly reels at home while driving down to Van, flying to NZ for 3 weeks of fishing and hunting on my once in a lifetime trip....pull over on highway rip bags apart, yep no reels....no biggie, stay positive, wholesale sports still open and picked up reel and lines, crash buddies couch for the night, had some drinks and final gear check, make sure I don't forget anything else..... and then buddy drives me to the airport in the morning

I finally land in NZ after a layover and delayed flight, and get immediate text message from my buddy...."Hey you forgot that new fly reel"....few curse words but nothing that can't be fixed, still pretty optimistic knowing I can return the stuff to WSS, just the inconvenience but I can afford it at least......10 mins later, "you forgot your binos and range finder too".....many more curse words this time....I just had to recheck my back one last time...oh well, not re-buying those items (thankfully my outfitter had top notch gear to lend me)

the real salt on the wound was buying the cheapest fly reel possible, and the anti reverse lets go on a drag peeling run, backlashes on my first good trout and breaks off....so 2 hour drive back to the store and buy the same sage reel I have 3 of sitting back at home, and of course everything is conveniently 40% more expensive over there lol

Bubbacanuck
08-10-2020, 04:57 PM
one time i forgot my ammunition...so my hunting partner was kind enough to lend me his cannon for the day lol. Another time, I forgot my trigger lock keys at home. Needless to say, I make sure I have my keys and ammo everytime now

Ride Red
08-10-2020, 05:22 PM
Brother-in-law/sister-in-law travel from Dawson to visit and do a jet boat trip. Wife and I get everything loaded, double checked and off we go. Get to the boat launch; no boat ignition key :(

browningboy
08-10-2020, 07:36 PM
Brother-in-law/sister-in-law travel from Dawson to visit and do a jet boat trip. Wife and I get everything loaded, double checked and off we go. Get to the boat launch; no boat ignition key :(

been there that sucks!

two-feet
08-10-2020, 08:51 PM
Fly in moose trip, my buddy has the trigger lock on but no key. Severe depression, but ok after he filed it off with the leatherman

Arctic Lake
08-10-2020, 09:44 PM
Was in a rush one night before leaving on a hunt the following morning so I was launderin* some more clothes for the trip. I had a light bulb moment when I could not find my wallet . It was floating in the washer with money for the trip also hunting license and tags . Whole new meaning to laundry is money !

Another week long trip and just before PG light bulb goes on I had forgot my fanny pack with all my essentials ,binoculars,compass , fire source , etc. Ended up waiting for Crappy Tire to pen in PG and bought a whole new set of all I had forgot .
Arctic Lake

wideopenthrottle
08-11-2020, 12:58 PM
I learned as a young boyscout to have a list...I have a list that I have added items to for years...it keeps me from forgetting stuff... when I pack I am often deciding what to leave behind after assembling what I think I might need....trigger locks were a pain in the butt for a bit but I had a matching set with about 10 keys to never be without one...my main one was used enough that you could get it to release with a screwdriver instead of a key...

SBvias
08-11-2020, 02:21 PM
Got to the river real early to reserve my rock for the fall salmon run. Its pretty cold standing in the river with only jeans and running shoes.

weed782
08-11-2020, 03:00 PM
Sitting in the Horseshoe Bay ferry terminal with boat in tow, headed to Barkley Sound fishing. Got a bad feeling I left the fishing rods leaning next to the basement door at home. A quick check confirmed this.:mad:
And on a ski trip, got to Whistler parking lot and my Ski pants were not in my gear bin..... :mad::mad: Old school jeans ski day........ L

russm
08-11-2020, 04:37 PM
I was loading the truck for a camping trip when the wife came in the garage and asked if ive got the propane, my response was " what kind of idiot do you think I am?" Got to the spot camp was mostly set up and I realized there was no propane lol

Citori54
08-11-2020, 04:46 PM
On a day hunt in Port Renfrew years ago. Coming down the hill we got a flat tire - first flat on the new truck I had owned for 2 years. Climbed under to get the spare form the carrier and oh sh%$, that's what the key was for that I took off my key ring, the spare tire lock. Was about to shoot the damn thing off but cooler heads prevailed and I was able to jam the lug wrench into the lock and snap it. Would have been a very long walk to get to the town if we couldn't get that lock off.

pg83
08-11-2020, 04:58 PM
September 2011 Region 5 goat hunt.

I've got a cabin very close to the LEH zone and had been up multiple times throughout the summer.

As I was loading for the trip I couldn't find my boots at home. After multiple checks I conviniced myself I had left them at the cabin on one of the preious trips. Get to the cabin, no boots. Shit.
Went up the mountain in my running shoes, lucky for me the weather was awesome, killed a (not big)billy on the afternoon of the second day and bombed back to the cabin. Lady Luck was on my side that trip.

Forget minor things on damn near every trip, but thats only proof to myself that I pack too much crap because I have never missed any of those missing items.

HikerHunter
08-11-2020, 05:09 PM
forgot the gun clip for my .22, felt real dumb.

swampthing
08-11-2020, 06:27 PM
I jumped in my buddies truck at 4am one morning excited for our trip up the alaska highway. He stared at me for a minute before asking "wheres your rifle". Cant believe I would have forgot that!

upperleftcoaster
08-11-2020, 11:23 PM
thanks for sharing some good ones! glad i'm in good company and not the only idiot bumbling around haha

why is it that it's usually the things that don't work out that make the adventure great. i think i will go back down my gear list and add a "x 2" to every item now...

Silver Stones
08-12-2020, 05:29 AM
Seems that there is always something I‘ve forgotten - usually small and annoying but occasionally more.

Worst hunting one - first fly-in sheep hunt, get to the float base in Whitehorse and buddy starts ripping my pack apart to cut weight (pro tip - if you’re hunting with a wildfire fighter, don’t let them in your pack. Those guys are ruthless). All good - nothing I can’t live without. We get out there and on about day 3 I realize I haven’t seen my range finder in a few days. Turns out it was in my suitcase at the base. Cost me the biggest goat I’d ever seen about a week later.

Probably the dumbest one overall was a sled-in backcountry ski trip into a Cabin in the Cariboo mountains. About the moment I got out of the truck was the moment I realized my snowboard boots were still sitting on my stairs at home. Turns out conditions were bad so I never did get to try my McGyver’d snow boots-with kindling bracers duct taped to my bindings...

REMINGTON JIM
08-12-2020, 08:00 AM
Forgot my Leica binoculars on a two week trip once, pouted the whole time..............Still got our Elk and Deer !

LOL Good thing you don't have a CLIP-MAG rifle ! :wink: RJ

45freezer
08-12-2020, 10:51 AM
"Forgot" the spoons one time...carved a lame replacement out of a stick and sliced my thumb open in the process, that was the only blood I spilled in those hills on that trip. When we got home I ended up finding them at the bottom of my backpack, never actually did forget them, just misplaced them but the memory of the wooden spoon will make both of us chuckle for years to come.

https://i.imgur.com/41XgQ3k.jpg

Darksith
08-12-2020, 11:31 AM
Stove pipe for the wall tent stove once

Poles for the interior frame of the wall tent another time...
Both times we were close enough to a town or my house that it wasn't too serious

decker9
08-12-2020, 12:16 PM
I forgot the unthinkable a few years ago, got a few hours away from home, headed on a weekend solo goat hunt. Once I hit gravel I figured I better get my rifle ready incase I crossed a wolf on the road.... yeah, no rifle. Luckily it was only a few hour backtrack.

The year I harvested my ram (solo), I’d forgotten my range finder, that proved to make things difficult, but still doable thankfully.

REMINGTON JIM
08-12-2020, 12:17 PM
[QUOTE=Darksith;2191653]Stove pipe for the wall tent stove once

Hard to DO with out the stove pipe ! :grin: RJ

lapadat
08-12-2020, 01:28 PM
Was headed out with Tarpman for a day of fishing and realized I forgot the coleman stove. Within a few minutes of realizing this we passed by a garage sale and lo and behold they had one for sale. What timing.

Lap

DarekG
08-12-2020, 01:46 PM
I'm not sure if this one counts, but another time I somehow went hunting for an entire day without realizing my trigger lock was still on my rifle.

Pocahontas
08-12-2020, 03:17 PM
This thread is hilarious and just reminds me of all the things my husband forgets! He forgets an item or two so consistently that our hunting buddy is going to make a bin of spares especially for him! Most commonly the important things like boots, a jacket, belt or the GPS. He has had more than one camping or hunting trip with plastic bags over his socks inside running shoes. My father in law scoffed when I made a master list for our annual 2.5 week fall hunting trips but i'm the one who has all my gear and is laughing when they forget stuff.

bcsteve
08-12-2020, 04:38 PM
I’m waiting for my buddy to chime in. If he doesn’t, I’ll have to rat him out! Hahaha!

On one incident it was “partially” my fault. We were taking my truck for that trip and he dropped off some of his gear at my place the day before. Instead of taking two rifle cases I figured I’d save space and put both our rifles in my double case. Around Chilliwack after leaving the LMD, I tell him about the great space saving idea I had. He tells me “So you grabbed my bolt that was under the foam in my case right?”. My wife wasn’t impressed when I asked her to meet us in Chilliwack! Could have been further out I guess!

REMINGTON JIM
08-12-2020, 04:39 PM
I'm not sure if this one counts, but another time I somehow went hunting for an entire day without realizing my trigger lock was still on my rifle.

Sorry but Thats JUST downright DUMB ! :lol: RJ

Fella
08-12-2020, 05:42 PM
Oh, one year for spring bear we decided to bring along one of those portable car garages along instead of the wall tent. It was the type that had a separate roof. Anyways, we build out the roof and go to grab the poles for the walls...and realized we forgot them. So we staked the roof down and crawled under it to sleep.

Mudsey
08-12-2020, 05:57 PM
A buddy of mine went on a 3 person/3 day goat hunt. After driving for 4 hrs and getting ready to hike realized he forgot his hiking boots. Only thing he had was the pointy toe, wood sole cowboy boots he was wearing. Had a successful trip goat wise and my buddy never took his boots of the whole trip knowing he'd never get them back on. Once back to vehicles at end of trip he had to cut his boots off with a knife.

Flump2119
08-12-2020, 08:34 PM
Haven't seen this one yet......

15 years ago drove from Vancouver Island to Cranbrook, pull into Walmart to grab tags and food before heading to Elk camp......as the Old man and me were walking through the parking lot, I stopped and almost fainted. Left my Hunters ID card on the table at home.

Fortunately Cranbrook had an early opening Front Counter BC or whatever it was called and got a new Card, grabbed some tags and off to camp we went. That could of turned out worse lol

604Stalker
08-12-2020, 11:41 PM
Once left bolt at home always sits in the case needless to say I hit chiliwack and 200k later I was back on a service road long story short bolt now goes in rifle before I leave .. had a partner forget his clip once lucky we both shoot .300 it happends all the time nowdays we definetly double check gear before hitting the road all just lessons learned

Vortex hunter
08-13-2020, 11:45 PM
I have forgotten ALOT of pizzas and coffees on my roof before. and ummmm I forgot

BRrooster
08-16-2020, 04:51 PM
Bolts for rifles , at least once. Clip for .22. The key for for the new truck spare wasnt there so I too had to cut the cable with the Gerber tool. Buddy forgot his Liscense and tags in Cranbrook when he came out hunting in the Ok. Binocs , cameras. Forgot my bowstring release once , but got my bear using my fingers (he was only at 15 yards anyway).

TyTy
09-12-2020, 09:45 PM
Forgot my boots once (day trip) Said screw it, if I don’t make this hike now I will just find another excuse next time. Glad I braved the snow and slopes in street shoes, found a new spot and some great deer sheds

wos
09-12-2020, 10:05 PM
Last year I forgot my binoculars on a short weekend hunt. I hunted the first day substituting with my spotting scope
Thankfully my aunt lent me her binoculars for the second day. It was that morning that I released what I already knew. Life is to short for shitty binoculars. I gave her my old ones so she didn't need to suffer any longer and to return the favor.

browningboy
09-13-2020, 08:12 AM
When a buddy of mine and myself went for a weekend hunt outside of Quesnell the cooler full of food wasn’t put in, we couldn’t afford to by all new food plus a cooler so we hit Burger King and bought 20 whopper juniors.. actually worked well when your 18

robbiej793
09-13-2020, 09:56 AM
I recently forgot tent poles. didn't realize until we were sitting in a random cabin we found on the mountain (where we ened up sleeping lol). I'm new to BC ill learn one day ! Also forgot my trigger lock on my shotgun, obviously didn't realize until i hiked 30 minutes in my waders then finally uncovered my gun.