PDA

View Full Version : Transporting a rifle on a motorbike on public roads, legalities?

Smiley
08-05-2020, 05:45 PM
Hello, everyone.

Please only reply if you KNOW the answer, conjecture may only confuse the issue ;-)

I have a dual purpose motorbike and wish to use it to get from my residence to the bush. My plan is then to do my usual walking hunt.
My question is: what do I have to do to legally transport my rifle on my motorbike while on public roads?
My plan is to mount a Kolpin case to the motorbike (behind me, pointing down at approx 45-60 degrees). The rifle would be unloaded, with the bolt removed, a trigger lock on, and the case locked. Once at my spot, I would make the rife functional and go for my walking hunt. This is what I currently do with my truck, the difference being that my rifle is not at all visible by other motorists while I am in transit.

A google search resulted in contradictory information.

Please only reply if you KNOW the answer, conjecture may only confuse the issue ;-)

Thank you in advance.

Ride Red
08-05-2020, 05:57 PM
No issues, you’re doing everything correct and legal.

kolofardos
08-05-2020, 06:27 PM
Why would the bolt be removed, and why have a trigger lock?

Gateholio
08-05-2020, 06:51 PM
LEGALLY you can unload it and sling it over your shoulder and drive down the road with a non restricted firearm, as long as you are in control of the muzzle to ensure it never points at someone. This will draw police attention of course, but it’s legal transport.

So what you propose is legal as well. Although it may be easier to use a backpack with a rifle scabbard.

CranePete
08-05-2020, 06:52 PM
I have a better question: should you be successful, and I’m sure you will be, will you strap the buck to your handlebars? I carried my rifle in a soft case on my bike. No issues.

kolofardos
08-05-2020, 06:59 PM
I have a better question: should you be successful, and I’m sure you will be, will you strap the buck to your handlebars? I carried my rifle in a soft case on my bike. No issues.
He can make the deer into a backpack and ride home. I would pay to see that in the Lower Mainland. https://youtu.be/5NnGJeIb-5g

Sharpish
08-05-2020, 07:41 PM
I would trigger lock maybe, certainly not bolt removed and case locked in top of that. You’ll lose your keys one day. Or maybe the bolt.

kolofardos
08-05-2020, 07:46 PM
I would trigger lock maybe, certainly not bolt removed and case locked in top of that. You’ll lose your keys one day. Or maybe the bolt.
Trigger lock is not required legally.

PressurePoint
08-05-2020, 08:26 PM
I believe what you’re trying to do is make things “over secure” for appearances which I am sure the police would appreciate. Sure what may be legal is one thing but to take the extra steps is nice. If it was me. My suggest would be to get a rectangle or long gun case and have some sort of bracket holding it onto your bike much like the koplin one would be. That way, most people would just think it’s a large rectangle box and doesn’t have the shape of a gun. I say this because you and I know what it is and that it’s fine, but allllllll the other people who have never even seen a gun in real life will just see this large black gun on the side of a motorcycle and call it in. The image of a MC with a gun case is typically not normal and MC or all purpose bikes arent associated with hunting. Seeing an atv with one is normal because it’s easy to believe an atv is used for that purpose

Hugh Mann
08-05-2020, 08:41 PM
+1 to that, unless you don't mind being potentially delayed from having the cops called on you. As much as 'over secure' and whatnot annoys the heck out of me, I also don't like to be bothered by the Fuzz.

I once walked from the vehicle at 7/11 in a rural town, in hunting season, wearing full camo to the gun store 70ft away carrying a gun case, and had the boys in blue called.

Sharpish
08-05-2020, 08:59 PM
Trigger lock is not required legally.

Yeah, I know.

WelderGuy
08-05-2020, 09:30 PM
Im still waitin to see where he puts the deer,,lol

kolofardos
08-05-2020, 09:39 PM
I understand that not having trigger locks may possibly cause a delay from an officer that doesn't know the laws, but I believe that gun owners shouldn't use them. Our rights are being eroded continuously and complying with something which isn't a law, solely from the fear of getting hassled, will make it easier for the gun grabbers to make trigger laws during transport a requirement. Don't make it easy on those that want to curtail your rights.

ruger416
08-05-2020, 10:36 PM
You are making the gun carry laws to complicated on yourself. You will feel just great if you see your record buck as you are getting off of your mod of transportation. I believe it will be classified at an ATV and in some zones there are time restrictions so check the zones you are in or are going threw.

Redthies
08-05-2020, 10:52 PM
Put it in the case with no trigger lock, and bolt in. Unloaded of course. Lock case. Put key for lock on your motorbike keys so it’s always with you when you are on the bike. Legally, you don’t even need to lock the case, but I would do it anyway.

The Hermit
08-05-2020, 11:51 PM
Hint - Print out a copy of the RCMP Brochure on transporting non-restricted firearms and keep it with you so you can show it to the cop when she stops you... I carry a copy in my truck at all times.

Panzerfauste
08-06-2020, 07:12 AM
Throw it in a soft guitarcase if you want to draw the least attention.

Night Hawk 3
08-06-2020, 07:29 AM
I used to ride my enduro between Lions Bay and mid way to Whistler with my 10/22 in a soft case tucked in next to me quite regularly during the late 80s to go fishing and grouse hunting in the Starvation Lake area. Never had a problem, and it never occurred to me that I would. No one even gave me a second glance, but a lot has changed in that time with who uses that corridor.

I wonder if things have changed.... if I did the same thing today, what would the outcome be?

NH3

digger dogger
08-06-2020, 07:47 AM
LEGALLY you can unload it and sling it over your shoulder and drive down the road with a non restricted firearm, as long as you are in control of the muzzle to ensure it never points at someone. This will draw police attention of course, but it’s legal transport.

So what you propose is legal as well. Although it may be easier to use a backpack with a rifle scabbard.

This^^^here

Ride Red
08-06-2020, 07:49 AM
I used to ride my enduro between Lions Bay and mid way to Whistler with my 10/22 in a soft case tucked in next to me quite regularly during the late 80s to go fishing and grouse hunting in the Starvation Lake area. Never had a problem, and it never occurred to me that I would. No one even gave me a second glance, but a lot has changed in that time with who uses that corridor.

I wonder if things have changed.... if I did the same thing today, what would the outcome be?

NH3

I don’t think anyone drives slow enough on that section to pay enough attention.

Gateholio
08-06-2020, 07:53 AM
Slinky Pickle has a good motorcycle set up IIRC

BRvalley
08-06-2020, 08:33 AM
Hint - Print out a copy of the RCMP Brochure on transporting non-restricted firearms and keep it with you so you can show it to the cop when she stops you... I carry a copy in my truck at all times.

good advice and I do the same...I once had a CO at a game check tell me he was letting me off with a verbal warning, for not having the bolt removed or a trigger lock, on my non restricted rifle, which was stored in my locked hard case in the back of the truck...magazine removed and not loaded...

Downtown
08-06-2020, 08:47 AM
Hello, everyone.

I have a dual purpose motorbike and wish to use it to get from my residence to the bush. My plan is then to do my usual walking hunt.
My question is: what do I have to do to legally transport my rifle on my motorbike while on public roads?
My plan is to mount a Kolpin case to the motorbike (behind me, pointing down at approx 45-60 degrees). The rifle would be unloaded, with the bolt removed, a trigger lock on, and the case locked. Once at my spot, I would make the rife functional and go for my walking hunt. This is what I currently do with my truck, the difference being that my rifle is not at all visible by other motorists while I am in transit.

A google search resulted in contradictory information.

Thank you in advance.You are good to go as far as it concerns Legalities.
However the "Kolpin" case might be a bit obvious. Perhaps something else is a bit better suited for the Eyes of the General Public.

Cheers

leftfield
08-06-2020, 08:52 AM
So this may be a brilliant or stupid idea (who cares it's free right lol) but you could disguise it as a golf club lol. Just put something bulky on the end and one of those golf club socks over it and nobody would even think twice, it's all about perception

tyler-brown
08-06-2020, 09:11 AM
http://firearmslaw.ca/gun-law-resources/firearms-storage-transportation/

Also has a link to download the RCMP pamphlet for your convenience

Smiley
08-06-2020, 09:12 AM
WOW, great replies!
I only use resettable combi locks, even on the trigger.
I am adept with the gutless method of field dressing, it's very handy to get a deer completely inside my backpack.
I LOVE the ideas of using a guitar case, golf bag, or rectangular case instead of a Kolpin in order to disguise the contents from hypersensitive non hunters. Although riding out of town in camo may be a giveaway hahahaha!

Smiley
08-06-2020, 10:04 AM
Another thought: I wonder about the ups and downs of creating a 'takedown' by separating the stock from my 85 Finnlight and simply sticking the 2 halves in a backpack? Each piece would be approximately 30" long... Would the threads tolerate this being done a few dozen times? I'd have to use an anti seize to prevent galling of the SS.

fozzy
08-06-2020, 10:19 AM
Copied from the RCMP web site:

"Transporting firearms safelyNon-restricted firearmsNon-restricted firearms must be unloaded during transportation."

quadrakid
08-06-2020, 10:40 AM
Legalities have been covered well. Being legal and hassled everytime you go out would be no fun. Try and be discreet. Where you live will make a difference. Smalltown in interior you may not get noticed,drive a motorcycle with what appears to be a rifle on Vancouver island and you will draw lots of heat.

I remember an HBC member who had a shotgun in back seat visable at gas station in Campbell River. He drew a whole bunch of heat.

kolofardos
08-06-2020, 11:46 AM
Legalities have been covered well. Being legal and hassled everytime you go out would be no fun. Try and be discreet. Where you live will make a difference. Smalltown in interior you may not get noticed,drive a motorcycle with what appears to be a rifle on Vancouver island and you will draw lots of heat.

I remember an HBC member who had a shotgun in back seat visable at gas station in Campbell River. He drew a whole bunch of heat.
I completely disagree. Do NOT be discrete! We shouldn't have to hide in the shadows. Don't make it easy on the Antis and gun grabbers.

Pioneerman
08-06-2020, 12:17 PM
We used to hunt of motor cycles and used a gun scabbard on from forks or buck horns across handle bars. Packing a deer out was across the rear rack tied tight or debone into pack. We never hid our guns and I even pout a scabbard on side of my Harley with I rode 300 kms to purchase a used gun. I did get stopped by a cop at 7 am as it was not during hunting season and he asked what i was doing, he said it just seemed so odd yet not illegal, he just wanted to clarify, which I was fine with. If the shotgun on back of seat drew heat did he leave his vehicle to go in and pay or use the can, then it has to be out of sight or covered when unattended

Linksman313
08-06-2020, 01:14 PM
[QUOTE=Smiley;2190649)
[/QUOTE]

Lol you haven't been here in a while have you. Hope you find your answers

cptnoblivious
08-06-2020, 03:28 PM
This topic actually came up when we did the intro at the local range (Poco). Apparently a member there used to ride his motorcycle up with his gun on his back. Got pulled over (I believe multiple times) and the police suggested he please put the rifle into a case as they have to respond to the calls.

I appreciate the suggestion of keeping the RCMP pamphlet on transporting handy (as well as the link) and have added it on my phone so I can reference it offline. Good tip!

vladthepes
08-07-2020, 05:12 AM
I used to carry my 30-30 on my shoulder with no gun case on main roads. I ask the police if it was alright and they said there were no laws against it!

boxhitch
08-07-2020, 10:48 AM
Another thought: I wonder about the ups and downs of creating a 'takedown' by separating the stock from my 85 Finnlight and simply sticking the 2 halves in a backpack? Each piece would be approximately 30" long... Would the threads tolerate this being done a few dozen times? I'd have to use an anti seize to prevent galling of the SS.Threads are tough, not sure why you would have galling problems.
Set up the rifle with a specific torque on the screws and zero things up, then repeat the same torque each time you re-assemble would be best.
Not sure which screw head you have but they can be changed out for torx or hex which might take more abuse. Pillar bedding would help too.
As for disguising the Koplin, just put a speaker grill on and a phone mount, now its just a music hub

Smiley
08-07-2020, 11:48 AM
New idea: attach camo soft case with clips to the left side of my backpack so that it isn't higher than the backpack and the rest hangs down behind my left leg. Should be reasonably subtle.

Thanks for the thread info. It used 2 Torx.

OneStevo
08-07-2020, 09:49 PM
i did this exact thing a few years back.......as i wind my way down the forest service road with shotgun slung on my back and getting closer to civilization i round the next corner and surprise!, for some reason there is a cop parked on the side of the road (maybe doing paperwork or something), i pass him slowly and nod and keep going. i think to myself phew!, and then there he is a ways back in my rear view, slowly following. He follows slowly for about 1 kilometre, and as soon as my tires hit pavement he lights up and pulls me over. I dismount and face him taking my helmet off..he steps out with hand over his piece and says "it's awfully strange to see a guy on a bike with what looks like a shotgun on his back" and i say " i bet it is" and he asks if he can see it and also my PAL. I lay it on the hood of his squad car and it's all trigger locked and good and he says" nice looking shotgun" and i say "yep it is" and then i show him my PAL and he says have a nice day. I knew my stuff and so did he...all good.

Pioneerman
08-07-2020, 10:05 PM
it's all trigger locked and good and he says" nice looking shotgun" and i say "yep it is" and then i show him my PAL and he says have a nice day. I knew my stuff and so did he...all good.

You do not need to have a trigger lock on rifle or shot gun

OneStevo
08-07-2020, 10:28 PM
You do not need to have a trigger lock on rifle or shot gun

indeed, but i figured why not be overly compliant and avoid hassles, sometimes these things can go either way, even when you are in the right...

Gateholio
08-07-2020, 11:38 PM
Another thought: I wonder about the ups and downs of creating a 'takedown' by separating the stock from my 85 Finnlight and simply sticking the 2 halves in a backpack? Each piece would be approximately 30" long... Would the threads tolerate this being done a few dozen times? I'd have to use an anti seize to prevent galling of the SS.

Your Finnlight is not a takedown rifle. Yes, you can separate the stock from the barreled action and rescrew it together but the zero may change.

fuzzybiscuit
08-08-2020, 11:00 AM
I was pulled over a few years back by a Mountie on my TW200 with a Kolpin mounted on the back. I was driving out of town and a concerned citizen called the police. I happened to pass an officer so he turned around and pulled me over, and the concerned citizen pulled in behind him. Before he even got to me the lady was out of her car and pointing to the gun scabbard on my bike and waving her arm around. The officer directed her to return to her vehicle and he said he would check me out. He walked up to me and rolling his eyes and smiling asked me if I knew why I was being pulled over. I just chuckled and said I figured it was because I had a gun scabbard on my bike to which he replied yup. I asked him if having a firearm with me was an issues and he said no, unless it is loaded. He asked me to pop the case open and then he asked me to pull the rifle partially out and work the bolt. I did as asked and he said perfect. I asked if he wanted to see my PAL and he said if you have it handy, for appearances sake. Again, no issue. I asked him if he would have pulled me over if he had just seen the scabbard and no one had called in an issue. He said no. His reasoning was that if I wanted to hide a firearm I'd probably not be trying to do it in a gun scabbard attached to a motorbike. We chatted for a couple minutes then he said have a good day and wished me luck. I watched him go back to the lady in the car and explain that I was totally legal and that there were no issues. I pulled away with her still arguing with the officer. That is the only time I was ever pulled over on my bike and I used it with the gun scabbard attached all the time. The scabbard stayed on all fall and I even drove it down town empty like that when I was doing errands.

I say stick it on and go have fun. You are totally legal as long as the gun is not loaded. Nothing else is required.

Amphibious
08-08-2020, 03:50 PM
I hunt often on a small dual sport. animals are boned out and packed out backpack or in panniers.

I have a "solohunter" gun cover I use to make my rifle a little less conspicuous, but other then that the law says it's in transport, so over my shoulder it goes, unloaded. been pulled over twice, so keep a copy of the safe storge/transport rules from the RCMP website handy. the queens cowboys don't often know the laws they are enforcing.

enjoy! hunting on a bike is fun.

gunpower
08-09-2020, 09:31 AM
Im still waitin to see where he puts the deer,,lol Shoot, drive home , get truck and bring home the bacon !!

Amphibious
08-09-2020, 11:24 AM
Shoot, drive home , get truck and bring home the bacon !!

Cut it up, put it in your pack, ride home. I've done 3 mulies and 4 bears this way on a bike.

Dodo23
08-14-2020, 08:40 AM
I am pretty sure that is concealing a firearm and a criminal offence. Transportation Laws for firearms are meant for safety.
Throw it in a soft guitarcase if you want to draw the least attention.

fuzzybiscuit
08-14-2020, 09:20 AM
I am pretty sure that is concealing a firearm and a criminal offence.

Well, you would be wrong Sport.

finngun
08-14-2020, 08:06 PM
I used to carry my 30-30 on my shoulder with no gun case on main roads. I ask the police if it was alright and they said there were no laws against it!
Yep ya can drive you bike thrught vanc.downtown gun at ya back..no case no trigg lock bolt on....legally...but might get stop by cops..no law broken..

Edzzed
08-14-2020, 08:45 PM
I had to go from Cloverdale to Burnaby to see a gunsmith about a stripped scope mount. I figured why take the truck (Fuel cost) so I put the rifle in a soft rifle case, slung it over my back and jumped on my KLR 650. I was at a light stopped with a cop right behind me. Never did anything. Even on the way home, I had a cop pull into the other lane to go around me. Never did anything. I thought for sure I would get pulled over at some point but I did not get pulled over. I have driven through radar traps or road blocks and gotten pulled over just to check my license and in 40 years, I would guess that's happened 15 times or so.