PDA

View Full Version : Best binoculars in the $500-800 range? Nikon monarch 7? Vortex viper hd?

Lone Tree
08-03-2020, 06:23 PM
Looking to upgrade from some 12 year old monarchs, have 8x42 but considering 10x42. Anyone have any other recommendations or good/bad experiences? Do I need to spend more? $800 texes in seems like my upper budget limit.
thanks!

sjdb243
08-03-2020, 06:29 PM
Monarchs would still be my best bet for quality glass in that price range

Greenthumbed
08-04-2020, 06:23 AM
This spring I upgraded my binos from Vortex Diamondbacks 10x42 to the Nikon Monarch 7 10x42. I am very pleased with my purchase. I had originally intended to go for the Vortex Vipers, but then changed my mind when the Monarchs came on sale. I do not regret making this decision.
I use my binos almost everyday for work, hunting and birding. The Nikons are very durable, comfortable and the glass is crisp and clean, even at low light.
my wife has the Monarch 5 8x42. These are also very good binos for slightly cheap then the 7’s.
As far as the magnification goes, it depends on what your primary use is. If you are glassing big mountain view at long distances then go with 10x, but I find in heavy timber trying to pinpoint a small bird up in the canopy a wider field of view would be helpful. 8x42 or 10x42, you can’t really go wrong and the Monarchs will treat you right. I say go for it! I’m glad I did.

cameron0518
08-04-2020, 06:40 AM
I think you will be happy with your choice.

walker1985
08-04-2020, 06:52 AM
Anybody ever use the Maven C.1?

Frank grimes
08-04-2020, 07:21 AM
I’ve got some Bushnell elite 10x42. Been happy with them. Thanks compared them to a few in the 4-600 price range and they were all comparable. The bushnells just fit my hands and face the best

Bustercluck
08-04-2020, 08:15 AM
Vipers are on sale at cabelas right now...

boxhitch
08-04-2020, 08:19 AM
Go ask London Drugs what their best sellers are, the birders are a larger market than hunters

kolofardos
08-04-2020, 08:24 AM
https://cameralandny.com/shop/athlon-optics-cronus-8-5x42-binocular/10c35120-97f5-0135-d06f-00163e90e196?variation=1605497

BgBlkDg
08-04-2020, 08:29 AM
A binocular is among THE MOST important tools that a serious outdoorsperson can and should own. You DO NOT NEED much of the crap sold everyday to so many, fancy camo clothing is an example.

You DO NEED outstanding optics and careful planning makes the big three binos available to all. I have Leica and Zeiss binos and would never buy Nikons, etc.

The Hermit
08-04-2020, 08:30 AM
Check into the KOWA binos... Japanese company in the optics business for over 100 years, make their own lenses and are great value for money. Their top of the line Genesis models are some of the best at any price. Check out these https://sportingoptics.kowa-usa.com/bd-ii-xd-series/1254-bd42-10xd-10x42mm-prominar-bd-xd-binoculars.html Note that is US money so still within your price range. Birders know this brand as the one of the best = the big three.

WelderGuy
08-04-2020, 08:43 AM
Call Precision Optics in Quesnel, best people and pricing on optics anywhere,,prices are better than Cabella's,,and their knowledge is fantastic,,I buy all my optics there 250-747-1621

todbartell
08-04-2020, 09:30 AM
Vortex Viper HD would be my choice. I have been running 8x42 for the last four years and don't regret it

cameron0518
08-04-2020, 11:43 AM
A binocular is among THE MOST important tools that a serious outdoorsperson can and should own. You DO NOT NEED much of the crap sold everyday to so many, fancy camo clothing is an example.

You DO NEED outstanding optics and careful planning makes the big three binos available to all. I have Leica and Zeiss binos and would never buy Nikons, etc.

I don't believe those brands fall within his budget. Not everyone can afford to be so picky. I think 10x42 Nikon will do just fine. They are not cheap garbage, more like middle ground.

sako79
08-04-2020, 11:54 AM
Call Precision Optics in Quesnel, best people and pricing on optics anywhere,,prices are better than Cabella's,,and their knowledge is fantastic,,I buy all my optics there 250-747-1621

Omer is top-notch. Also a site sponsor he also doesn't sell Vortex products cuz he knows they let everybody down when it counts ������

todbartell
08-04-2020, 11:58 AM
hahahhaa yeah ok

Steeleco
08-04-2020, 03:07 PM
Just so we ALL remember, the OP asked about brands, not retailers! Advise on brands ok, I'm sure he's a big boy, he can find his own retailer!

BimmerBob
08-04-2020, 03:52 PM
If you are looking to maximize value your best bet would be to seek a used set of optics that match your needs from someone that is upgrading to a more elite set. I have seen top quality optics for sale many times on the used market that match your budget and will get you into some fine equipment.

whitlers
08-04-2020, 06:24 PM
If you are looking to maximize value your best bet would be to seek a used set of optics that match your needs from someone that is upgrading to a more elite set. I have seen top quality optics for sale many times on the used market that match your budget and will get you into some fine equipment.

I second this. I picked up a pair of Razor HD's off here for $750 a few years ago. I have also seen Conquests on here for $800. Just need to wait for a deal to come up.

Sharpish
08-04-2020, 08:40 PM
Zeiss terra ED were my first set and they were excellent until I broke them.

Lone Tree
08-04-2020, 10:41 PM
Lots of good insight here; thanks everyone for your time. I have to stick to my budget so the swaro and noctvids and all that alpha glass are out for now, unless I hold off and hunt for a second hand deal–which might be worth considering.
I looked through the monarch 7’s and Zeiss terra ed’s today and both were bright and crisp enough (as much as you can tell in a brightly lit store...) but the focus knob on the zeiss was a weak point, rough and clunky, not smooth and silky like the Nikon. The monarchs stood out for sure, but I’ll hold off until I can try the vipers though.

eastkoot
08-05-2020, 07:54 AM
Keep an eye out on sites like gunnuttz for used glass, Swaro Leica, don't buy Vort
ex junk...

bchunter181
08-05-2020, 10:04 AM
I have the vortex vipers 10x42 i love them dont have any complaints but i bought my dad the nikons and kinda jealous and wish i bought them for myself aswell instead of my vipers!

Ron.C
08-05-2020, 11:25 AM
Ive had a chance to use the Nikons and I was pretty impressed. My buddy uses the Vipers and he is quite happy with them.

I agree that high end optics are the better long term choice and can enhance your ability to spot and judge game . But allot of people just cant afford them or justify the cost when income is limited.

Lots of animals are spotted, judged, and ultimately hit the ground using low-mid range optics.

lowball
08-05-2020, 11:32 AM
Ive had a chance to use the Nikons and I was pretty impressed. My buddy uses the Vipers and he is quite happy with them.

I agree that high end optics are the better long term choice and can enhance your ability to spot and judge game . But allot of people just cant afford them or justify the cost when income is limited.

Lots of animals are spotted, judged, and ultimately hit the ground using low-mid range optics.
Push the LIKE button... LOL

Jamesonm
08-11-2020, 09:04 PM
I'm very happy with my Maven c1s. Cheapest place to buy them is amazon. Think I paid right around $500. I researched for months and months and tried a bunch of different brands before finally deciding to purchase them.

Bright and clear. The eyepieces will sometimes move on you which is the only negative thing I can think of. Quite light too.

Sportster
08-11-2020, 09:49 PM
Lone Tree if you can keep putting your toonies in your wish jar and when the Nikon Monarch laserforce binoculars come on sale buy them.they come on sale a couple times a year at cabelas, I picked up a pair a couple of years ago for $1,100.00 couple of years ago, and they are definitely the best peace of hunting equipment that I've purchased to date. That being said I owned a pair of binoculars from scorpion and was more than happy with them. For the price pretty hard to beat. Imo.

BradC
08-12-2020, 08:07 AM
Didn’t Nikon stop making rifle scopes? Sure seems anti hunting to keep making all other optics tho. I will never own anything Nikon for that reason. My .02

Go to a shop that’ll let you take a couple pairs outside at last light and see which ones you like better cause everyone’s eyes are different.

twoSevenO
08-12-2020, 02:43 PM
The ignorance on this site when it comes to gear is astonishing.

If you use Swaro and Zeiss and Leica, and only those 3 then how do you know Nikon or Vortex sucks?

A new vortex bino is probably head and shoulders ahead of that Swaro you bought brand new in 1992.

Some of you old farts have eyes that couldn't even tell the difference between a $3000 swarovski or a $1500 vortex but continuously bash brands you don't even use.

I wonder just how many of the bashers even hunt and how many are nothing but gear collectors that have expensive binoculars and use them like twice per year. Lol

twoSevenO
08-12-2020, 02:47 PM
I don't believe those brands fall within his budget. Not everyone can afford to be so picky. I think 10x42 Nikon will do just fine. They are not cheap garbage, more like middle ground.

"Careful planning" he said .... which usually means hunting wet and cold in walmart shoes and eating microwaved hot dogs for dinner for 3 years because he maxed out a line of credit to buy binoculars he uses 3 times a year. :D

Lone Tree
08-13-2020, 10:50 PM
Ha! Nice to hear some good honest opinions. But there’s no way I’ll spend $3000+ on binoculars. So far I’ve tried and passed on the nikon monarch 7 and zeiss terra eds, and have ordered the vipers and the Leupold BX-4s–apparently they are the absolute best in this price range. I’ll try them out and keep the ones I prefer... also found a place in Burnaby that carries the Kowa line and their new bdii line looks interesting. I’d stick with Nikon but the monarch 7’a didn’t pop for me–and they won’t warranty my broken 13 year old monarchs so I’m moving on.

KBC
08-14-2020, 06:39 AM
What’s the name of the place in Burnaby?
Interesting you didn’t like the Nikons. I bought the cheaper monarch 5 ones over the vipers a few years ago because they looked better to me. I guess you gotta try them all to see what’s best for you.

Skogkatt
08-14-2020, 02:26 PM
I bought the Nikon monarch 7 and they are awesome!

twoSevenO
08-14-2020, 09:36 PM
I bought the Nikon monarch 7 and they are awesome!

Yup. Everyones eyes are different .... to a degree.

I went with Nikon over Zeiss Conquest as well, because they looked better to my eyes than zeiss. The color seemed more accurate and edge sharpness was better.

I went with the nikon monarch HG ... the top of the monarch line, though they dont seem to have gained much popularity here in canada last couple years that they have been out.

lowball
08-15-2020, 07:21 AM
Yup. Everyones eyes are different .... to a degree.

I went with Nikon over Zeiss Conquest as well, because they looked better to my eyes than zeiss. The color seemed more accurate and edge sharpness was better.

I went with the nikon monarch HG ... the top of the monarch line, though they dont seem to have gained much popularity here in canada last couple years that they have been out.
For my eyes the HG model was better to me than the monarch 7. But the price difference was more noticeable than the view.

twoSevenO
08-15-2020, 11:40 AM
For my eyes the HG model was better to me than the monarch 7. But the price difference was more noticeable than the view.

Yes they are quite a bit more, I agree. But I was in the market with a $1200 or so budget and it was down to the HG or conquest. I ended up buying mine new in box on ebay for $900. Shipped them to my brother in the USA then brought back on the plane with me when I went to visit him so I didnt have to pay taxes and duties.

I definitely agree that people should use the best optics they can afford. But telling someone they need $3,000 binos and that everyhing else is garbage is absurd!

got to draw the line somewhere. Cant have top of the line everything especially for those of us with more hobbies than just fishing.

cameron0518
08-15-2020, 12:55 PM
From my experience with cheaper binos compared to pricy ones, the difference is only noticeable during low light. If it is 9am in the morning, you would have to have some amazing eyes to notice the difference enough to affect any outcome. I would say I could count on one hand over the years that the difference would have been noticeable. In saying that, I do believe in having good optics but to say that people should only spend thousands is absurd.

Weatherby Fan
08-15-2020, 02:24 PM
Cheap binoculars vs expensive ones has been a topic of discussion and debate since I can remember, a long time friend of mine that I met Hunting 35 years ago talked me into buying a pair of $999.00 Leica Trinovids......luckily Leica had $200 discount if you traded in an old pair of binos......still I was like yowsa thats a lot of money !

I went Sheep hunting with him and noticed that after glassing all day I didn't have eyestrain and a blasting headache from using my old Redfields, and yes low light performance is one of the many advantages as well.

The thing about buying an expensive pair of binoculars they may have slightly better optics, but its the quality on the inside that you don't see, mechanics, also the fact they will probably last you a lifetime.

My brother has a Vortex Viper HD and a Vortex Razor HD spotting scope and I have a newer Leica, we set them up and compared them, optically wasn't a huge difference, but we both noticed was the working parts were much better on the Leica, but honestly from looking through them I didn't see the difference in the cost.

RemingtonJim and I were deer hunting late one evening in area 3 and we had a bedded doe at about 300 yards, He was using his German made Minox 10x42 and I had an older set of German made Leica Trinovids, clarity was the same, the difference was when it became dusk he couldn't see the doe and I could.

So when some old timer comes on here preaching about buying the best glass you can as he's been there done that its not absurd ignorant or insulting, they're just pointing out that quality glass is just that and in the long run you might be better to hold off buying one or two cheap sets before an expensive set,

I think most understand that not everyone can afford expensive binoculars and luckily today we are blessed with excellent optic choices at reasonable prices, Minox,Meopta, even Cabelas has some great optics,Nikon,Vortex,

Leica even has their Trinovid HDs for about $1200, or you can always be patient and pick up and used set of higher end binoculars, again you have to be realistic and weigh out the pros and cons for your needs as if your going hunting one weekend a year well I would agree buying a $2000 pair of binos seems silly.

REMINGTON JIM
08-15-2020, 03:12 PM
RemingtonJim and I were deer hunting late one evening in area 3 and we had a bedded doe at about 300 yards, He was using his German made Minox 10x42 and I had an older set of Leica Trinovids, clarity was the same, the difference was when it became dusk he couldn't see the doe and I could.

Now with my New Leica 10-42 Geovid's I can See Them and Range them ALL now ! :smile: RJ

twoSevenO
08-15-2020, 04:32 PM
I looked at some leica Trinovids as well. My opinion was that it's better to go with a high end Nikon than a low end Leica.

The trinovids are not even made in Germany. Made in Portugal, and they really werent better than conquest HD

REMINGTON JIM
08-15-2020, 06:29 PM
I looked at some leica Trinovids as well. My opinion was that it's better to go with a high end Nikon than a low end Leica.

The trinovids are not even made in Germany. Made in Portugal, and they really werent better than conquest HD

The BEST Winchester rifles are made in PORTUGAL too ! So Maybe the BEST Leica's are made in Portugal also ! :smile: RJ

Just LOOKed and my Lecias are made in PROTUGAL :lol: Awesome BINO's ! ;-)

IslandWanderer
08-15-2020, 07:49 PM
What’s the name of the place in Burnaby?
Interesting you didn’t like the Nikons. I bought the cheaper monarch 5 ones over the vipers a few years ago because they looked better to me. I guess you gotta try them all to see what’s best for you.

I bought my son Monarch 5's and they work almost as good as my razors.

Bustercluck
08-15-2020, 08:13 PM
So here’s a question. I’m looking at the monarch 7. I see they have 10x42 and 10x30. How much better are the 42 in low light situations.

The 10x30 are looking pretty attractive as they’re lighter and cheaper. Just wondering what I’d be sacrificing.

Weatherby Fan
08-15-2020, 08:37 PM
So here’s a question. I’m looking at the monarch 7. I see they have 10x42 and 10x30. How much better are the 42 in low light situations.

The 10x30 are looking pretty attractive as they’re lighter and cheaper. Just wondering what I’d be sacrificing.

The human eye will dialate to 7mm in total darkness less when older, the 10x42 have an exit pupil of 4.2mm the 10x30 will have a 3mm exit pupil just to put it all in perspective so you will give up a bit of low light performance , if your a sheep hunter or do a lot of alpine hunting go 10x42 otherwise the 8x30 will serve you well

https://youtu.be/F2ULueNXgzM here's a good basic YouTube video explaining the pros and cons of a larger exit pupil.

twoSevenO
08-15-2020, 08:51 PM

Remember that low light doesnt always mean dawn and dusk. Sometimes hunting blacktails in thick timber on an overcast day will make it seem like dusk at 1pm!!

Personally, I wouldnt go less than the standard 42mm.

You will save some weight with the 30mm, however, and that might be an benefit you want to take advantage of, in addition to lower price.

BradC
08-16-2020, 06:05 AM
There’s a set of razor 10x42 in the buy/sell section for $925 shipped.

hurley16
08-16-2020, 08:19 AM
On my 2nd set of nikon binos. Currently running with the Monarch 7 10x42 and very happy with them.

mastercaster
08-16-2020, 09:07 AM
When I was in the market for new binos a few years back I spent far more time looking at comparisons made by birders rather than hunters because they spend FAR more time out in the field than hunters do. Some of them are out there up to 300 timers per year! There were tons of comparisons. I even posted on one of the bigger sites to get their recommendations.

The one brand that kept being suggested was Zen-Ray Prime HDs (10X42) It may be a Chinese manufactured bino but I bought them and couldn't be happier! I bought mine out of the States,,,,supposedly a floor model so I could save an extra $100 USD but they looked perfect. Picked them up in the states to avoid any extra fees.

Not sure what they cost now but they were a good bang for the buck! I paid $500 USD. Just saw them now on a US site for $620.

Here's a review:

https://www.rokslide.com/zen-ray-prime-hd-10x42-binoculars/

Weatherby Fan
08-16-2020, 12:49 PM

Talk about making ignorant comments....since they’re made in Portugal I guess they are junk right ?

You should do your research before commenting, Both my original sets of 2nd generation Trinovids BN/BA models were made in Germany, the newer models are made in Portugal, some of the first generation of Trinovids were also made in Portugal but most were made in Germany.

I have owned several sets of the latest models of Leica Trinovid HDs and the Zeiss Conquest HDs and have used them side by side in the field, both are fantastic glass for the money, not to mention the quality within,

I see just about every optic manufacturer gets their lenses out of Japan or China does that mean your Nikon’s aren’t worth owning ? by the way most Nikons are made in China !

Its like saying those Swarovskis are not worth owning either as they’re made in Austria ....?

Your comments have more of a racist overtone than someone that knows what there talking about.

Do yourself a favour and give Omer a call at Precision Optics and pick his brain, as I’m pretty sure he is one of a few that handle more lines of optics than most people in Canada, he will give you an honest and very experienced opinion of optics, he not only sells them he uses them hunting.

Weatherby Fan
08-16-2020, 01:07 PM
There’s a set of razor 10x42 in the buy/sell section for $925 shipped.

Thats a great price as I see the cheapest ones online in US dollars is over $850 usd, which is roughly $1200cdn.

BradC
08-16-2020, 02:39 PM
Thats a great price as I see the cheapest ones online in US dollars is over $850 usd, which is roughly $1200cdn.

Sounds about right. Think I paid $1250 for mine 5 years ago. Have since found a set of used EL range that I couldn’t pass up. Still use the razors quite a bit or the girlfriend packs them.

twoSevenO
08-16-2020, 10:18 PM
Talk about making ignorant comments....since they’re made in Portugal I guess they are junk right ?

You should do your research before commenting, Both my original sets of 2nd generation Trinovids BN/BA models were made in Germany, the newer models are made in Portugal, some of the first generation of Trinovids were also made in Portugal but most were made in Germany.

I have owned several sets of the latest models of Leica Trinovid HDs and the Zeiss Conquest HDs and have used them side by side in the field, both are fantastic glass for the money, not to mention the quality within.

I see just about every optic manufacturer gets their lenses out of Japan or China does that mean your Nikon’s aren’t worth owning ? by the way most Nikons are made in China !

Its like saying those Swarovskis are not worth owning either as they’re made in Austria ....?

Your comments have more of a racist overtone than someone that knows what there talking about.

Do yourself a favour and give Omer a call at Precision Optics and pick his brain, as I’m pretty sure he is one of a few that handle more lines of optics than most people in Canada, he will give you an honest and very experienced opinion of optics, he not only sells them he uses them hunting.

Ok, since we are going to be rude ... do you even hunt? You dont need $3000 binoculars to not kill any animals. My honest opinion: you're just a gear collector.

I own Portuguese made Leica products. I've had their range finder for several years now that is made in Portugal. It has nothing to do with who is making them, other than to point out it's their second-tier as their elite lines are still made in Germany.

I also pointed out earlier I own Nikon and vortex made in Japan and China, respectively, so your comment about my post having anything to do with racism is ridiculous and shows that you cant even read.

If I was a fellow gear collector I might have the time to call a busy store owner and pester with my questions, but I'm not and I wont.

REMINGTON JIM
08-17-2020, 08:00 AM
twoSeveno: Ok, since we are going to be rude ... do you even hunt? You dont need $3000 binoculars to not kill any animals. My honest opinion: you're just a gear collector.

WOW ! Really Cheap ! :frown: RJ

Weatherby Fan
08-17-2020, 08:46 AM
Ok, since we are going to be rude ... do you even hunt? You dont need $3000 binoculars to not kill any animals. My honest opinion: you're just a gear collector.

I own Portuguese made Leica products. I've had their range finder for several years now that is made in Portugal. It has nothing to do with who is making them, other than to point out it's their second-tier as their elite lines are still made in Germany.

I also pointed out earlier I own Nikon and vortex made in Japan and China, respectively, so your comment about my post having anything to do with racism is ridiculous and shows that you cant even read.

If I was a fellow gear collector I might have the time to call a busy store owner and pester with my questions, but I'm not and I wont.

Your right I am a gear junkie, I hate not knowing about gear as I like to evaluate that stuff in person so I don't make uneducated comments, but thats where it ends thinking you know anything about me and how much hunting I do,

from your comments on this thread like your below quote basically insults anyone with an opinion on HBC that doesn't fall in line with your thinking on gear/optics, from what Ive seen on this site is the knowledge base when it comes to gear for hunting in BC is amazing and some of those old farts you insuted probably have put in years of time/miles using that gear, maybe be careful who you insult is all Im saying.

QUOTE=twoSevenO;2191676]The ignorance on this site when it comes to gear is astonishing.

If you use Swaro and Zeiss and Leica, and only those 3 then how do you know Nikon or Vortex sucks?

A new vortex bino is probably head and shoulders ahead of that Swaro you bought brand new in 1992.

Some of you old farts have eyes that couldn't even tell the difference between a $3000 swarovski or a $1500 vortex but continuously bash brands you don't even use.

I wonder just how many of the bashers even hunt and how many are nothing but gear collectors that have expensive binoculars and use them like twice per year. Lol[/QUOTE]

cameron0518
08-17-2020, 09:08 AM
"Your comments have more of a racist overtone than someone that knows what there talking about"

Wtf? Not sure why anyone would think that in this thread. Lots of companies produce inferior products in different countries than their premium lines. It's called running a business.

Weatherby Fan
08-17-2020, 09:12 AM
"Your comments have more of a racist overtone than someone that knows what there talking about"

Wtf? Not sure why anyone would think that in this thread. Lots of companies produce inferior products in different countries than their premium lines. It's called running a business.

Thats my point exactly, Leica has plants in Germany and Portugal, Vortex has plants in China, Philippines and Japan, Nikon has plants in Japan and China, as you say its called running a business as it may be labour cost based and or deflection of duty costs.

It doesn't matter where they are made what matters is the quality control of those products being made, and Im sure this is or was the intent of twosevenO's comment when he mentioned Portugal so my racist overtone comment was probably out of line.

BgBlkDg
08-17-2020, 10:00 AM
Don, why even bother, I think the ''green eyed monster'' is hard at work here and such gibes and attitudes are best ignored.

cameron0518
08-17-2020, 10:06 AM
Thats my point exactly, Leica has plants in Germany and Portugal, Vortex has plants in China, Philippines and Japan, Nikon has plants in Japan and China, as you say its called running a business as it may may be labour cost based or and or deflection of duty costs.

It doesn't matter where they are made what matters is the quality control of those products being made, and Im sure this is or was the intent of twosevenO's comment when he mentioned Portugal so my racist overtone comment was probably out of line.

Your points are definitely correct. :smile:

Lone Tree
08-18-2020, 02:28 PM
Tried some Zeiss conquests and wow, they were real nice. Had them in the store with the vipers and monarch 7’s and the conquest blew them all away, but I guess they should for twice the money... still waiting for the leupold bx-4 hd’s I ordered though, hoping they are close to those conquests, might be wishful thinking though, I heard good things so fingers crossed.

Weatherby Fan
08-19-2020, 09:06 AM
Tried some Zeiss conquests and wow, they were real nice. Had them in the store with the vipers and monarch 7’s and the conquest blew them all away, but I guess they should for twice the money... still waiting for the leupold bx-4 hd’s I ordered though, hoping they are close to those conquests, might be wishful thinking though, I heard good things so fingers crossed.

In my opinion the Zeiss Conquest HD and the Leica Triniovid HD are some of the best glass for the money, the Meopta HD's are also in that group but cost less,

I have a pair of Leica Noctovid's 10x42 ($3800) and last year my daughters boyfriend and I compared them to the Zeiss Conquests 10x42 ($1300) and I certainly couldn't justify the cost difference or being $2500 better, the eyecup construction seemed better on the Noctovids but that was about it, first and last light performance was about equal, the Conquests had a sharper clarity while the Noctovids seemed to have a softer clarity to my eyes.

Bustercluck
08-19-2020, 05:12 PM
I was just at bass pro and tried out vortex viper, monarch 7 and the leupold bx4. I found the monarch and viper very similar with the viper slightly brighter and crisper, but the bx4 was hands down far better than either of those. I’m wishing I would’ve tried out the Zeiss they had on sale for 1169.

REMINGTON JIM
08-19-2020, 06:36 PM
Leupold QUALITY ! ;) RJ

Bustercluck
08-19-2020, 07:46 PM
I’ll mention one more thing. The guy behind the counter said Nikon was getting out of selling optics(I don’t know if there’s any truth to that) and he was pushing the vortex pretty hard.

REMINGTON JIM
08-19-2020, 08:16 PM
I’ll mention one more thing. The guy behind the counter said Nikon was getting out of selling optics(I don’t know if there’s any truth to that) and he was pushing the vortex pretty hard.

Just Discontinued the Scope Business as far as i know ! RJ

Weatherby Fan
08-19-2020, 08:31 PM

Just Discontinued the Scope Business as far as i know ! RJ

Thats what I heard as they were just discontinuing the rifle scope line of optics.

Bustercluck
08-23-2020, 08:40 AM
I went back to cabelas and checked out the Zeiss they had on sale, but I think the leupold bx4 were still it for me.

I ended up leaving with a razor spotting scope, only because it was in the bargain cave and missing the cover. For 1589 I couldn’t turn it down.

Lone Tree
09-06-2020, 10:54 PM
In the end I kept the BX-4’s. To my eyes they were the best out of the three (monarch 7’s, vipers and the leupold...) for that price range I think they have the best glass, made in Japan rather than China, and just sharper and brighter.

lowball
09-07-2020, 06:59 AM
Glad you got what look the best for your eyes.

Edzzed
09-07-2020, 12:11 PM
Figure out what you want then hit them up on Black Friday. Or do what I did for my Yamaha 2.5 I just bought. Went to the store and said I will give you 1200 cash and 8 adult cookies and you can pay the taxes. They took the money and cookies. I got a new Yamaha and never paid sales tax....