PDA

View Full Version : Sleeping in the back of your truck?

Frank grimes
07-29-2020, 02:13 PM
How many do this when camping/hunting solo instead of pitching a tent? How do you do it? Pros and cons?
thinking about picking up something like a canvas cutter bedroll, or something and a thermarest MondoKing or Exped megamat 10. And just sleeping in the truck bed. If I put a lid on it I think I could even run a small buddy heater in the colder months if needed. Not sure though.

weatherby_man
07-29-2020, 02:55 PM
I have used a truck bed tent, they work really well.

Frank grimes
07-29-2020, 03:16 PM
I have used a truck bed tent, they work really well.
I was thinking of something like the Kodiak canvas swag tent. Or the canvas cutter. The idea of having a bedroll type setup seems nice. Just roll it out and get some sleep

eastkoot
07-29-2020, 03:19 PM
Insulate the canopy with spray foam or glue indoor/outdoor carpet to the roof. It will prevent any natural condensation from forming on the roof.. other than that, foam mattress and a good bag, good to go!!

warnniklz
07-29-2020, 03:29 PM
Worst part about sleeping in the back of a truck when you're 6' 2"... well you know how hard it is to find 6' boxes on pickups these days.

Slept across the back seat of more than one truck. From Dodge Dakotas to 2019 F250s... but for a night or two, it's pretty hard to beat this option.

I've played around with different canopy options when I had one on the Ol Dodge Turbo POS...

This was in deer camp hitting -30s. Made sure there was windows vented. It was turn propane heater on to warm up. Turn off heater and sleep. Repeat until morning.

https://scontent.fyyc3-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/11222236_10156290137790387_5717296634861185886_n.j pg?_nc_cat=105&_nc_sid=e007fa&_nc_ohc=6QNBW6TotcsAX-qDa1D&_nc_ht=scontent.fyyc3-1.fna&oh=9dad1373ba89e0f73420213b0d123fc3&oe=5F484E91

This was in the kootenay's on a september hunt with a buddy. I also used this method on a November goat hunt. Except on the goat hunt I backed up to the fire and didn't have -30 temps like deer camp.
https://scontent.fyyc3-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/14184528_10157434244350387_8083065522621189705_n.j pg?_nc_cat=107&_nc_sid=e007fa&_nc_ohc=nNAnB3B__eUAX9GJNhi&_nc_ht=scontent.fyyc3-1.fna&oh=06264fb17d08feac9fcf4ca5d5a4425a&oe=5F4678BE

https://scontent.fyyc3-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/1655945_10154874460260387_6705074080553652990_n.jp g?_nc_cat=101&_nc_sid=e007fa&_nc_ohc=4kNKVRnBUdQAX-atG9j&_nc_ht=scontent.fyyc3-1.fna&oh=a12fa67fd0f13abe57c8cb58603ae853&oe=5F46257A

I've even pulled off bunk beds in the back of a pickup before
https://scontent.fyyc3-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/14224851_10157415704405387_6582962859490796775_n.j pg?_nc_cat=107&_nc_sid=e007fa&_nc_ohc=c8KRJQAdepAAX8OPcyI&_nc_ht=scontent.fyyc3-1.fna&oh=6101c68600ff0a9e9d37616f1b5e84ff&oe=5F490876

warnniklz
07-29-2020, 03:37 PM
Also have backed in underneath one of those cheap pop-up gazebos. Then tarped off the side of the gazebo.
https://scontent.fyyc3-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/21192284_10159594509735387_9192378568159188573_n.j pg?_nc_cat=102&_nc_sid=0be424&_nc_ohc=4RdVGYWjm_oAX8oa6Sc&_nc_ht=scontent.fyyc3-1.fna&oh=a3b49ab6dc7a672a07394e9fe2397980&oe=5F477C69

https://scontent.fyyc3-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/22728955_10159594510220387_4778378734418847037_n.j pg?_nc_cat=108&_nc_sid=0be424&_nc_ohc=-hm1MrVON_cAX9qlEs1&_nc_ht=scontent.fyyc3-1.fna&oh=5015a37583432a2c8796b25b171403a0&oe=5F45C983

But make sure everything is properly anchored or when you get off the mountain in a rainstorm... you wont have a dry place to hide. Also make sure your canopy doesn't have any leaky seals because that makes for a bad day.
https://scontent.fyyc3-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/22528356_10159571413145387_2310190374590757890_n.j pg?_nc_cat=109&_nc_sid=0be424&_nc_ohc=aCpMhj8s6t0AX9ljGal&_nc_ht=scontent.fyyc3-1.fna&oh=e7eacb52096715c2a5d6ffe508bd5871&oe=5F4713CE

Although I do prefer the canopy method over a camper in wetter conditions. Because even with heat in a camper, it's still damp. You'll have the expectations of being dry and warm, but you're still damp. At least if you're partially exposed you expect to be a little uncomfortable and therefore... more comfortable.

bighornbob
07-29-2020, 03:42 PM
My bed liner of my old truck had spots for 2X4s to lay across the wheel wells. Three boards and a couple pieces of plywood and you were raised above the wheel wells so you had room for two people easy. The space below was left for gear. I found the smaller 8” rubber maid containers slid under no problem.

when I started going by my self, I used two pieces of plywood about 2.5ft wide if I remember correctly. This left a 1ft space down the middle. Made getting into bed way easier as you could walk down the middle (obviously crouching). Also made it easier to grab gear as you could see where it was and you were lifting only one side at a time.

with the raised bed you can leave it there all weekend and still pull gear out and put it back without having to roll up your bag and mattress.

camped like this for years.

bhb

chilko
07-29-2020, 04:10 PM
Depending on your cab configuration , take your back seat and the passenger bucket out and sleep front to back . Lots of room and less condesation issues. Room for dog behind drivers seat if you have one ,and can warm up truck without getting out of your sleeping bag.

BRvalley
07-29-2020, 04:20 PM
I use either a single air mattress (cheap one from walmart) or will use my backpacking air pad with few layers of foam, taped together so it doesn't separate as you roll around.....both work well, I think the cheap air mattress is more comfortable, but not as durable with punctures

I keep my gear in a two large tupperware containers, 150L i think from costco...so they go on the ground beside the truck and i'm in bed in a few minutes

propane heater will cause a lot of condensation, even with the insulated/carpeted roof, condensation is still there just doesn't drip down, i've turned the roof carpet to ice in my last canopy.....i only use the buddy heater to heat for 10-15 mins at a time, usually going to bed or waking up

through the night I burn candles to help take the edge off, I like the double size tea candles and will burn 4-6 of them (always light 2 fresh ones just before I fall asleep so they will last almost to morning), space them out and prop up my boiling pot over them, so it helps radiate the heat a bit and cuts down the light while sleeping....the candles keep it just above zero, coffee water doesn't freeze....I can truck camp comfortably down to around -10, after that I'll take the time to setup the tent and wood stove

I have considered using a cot, or building a plywood platform, but I prefer to have the extra head room (my canopy is flush with cab height) and my system works well enough with the large tupperware, one for hunting gear, one for camping gear, quick and easy when I want to sleep

lots of ideas in the overland truck forums/groups if you are thinking of building a deck system of some sort

https://i.imgur.com/oWTYwhL.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/mZKC5B4.jpg

mastercaster
07-29-2020, 04:32 PM
If you're hunting the same general area on your trip why not set up tent?? I find a 2-3 man tent perfect for one guy and all your gear. It takes LESS than 10 minutes to set one up and your truck box is pretty much empty for driving to where you're going to hunt. If you keep all the stuff in the back of your truck at all times where are you going to put a dead animal?

Now, if your truck is never going to move from it's spot the whole trip and you're doing all your hunting on foot away from it and will be back packing your animal out I could see that it may be easier for you to just sleep in the back.

warnniklz
07-29-2020, 04:41 PM
If you're hunting the same general area on your trip why not set up tent?? I find a 2-3 man tent perfect for one guy and all your gear. It takes LESS than 10 minutes to set one up and your truck box is pretty much empty for driving to where you're going to hunt. back.

Because sometimes it's nice just to wake up, hop in the truck and drive. Then if you end up in another spot, you're ready to rock n roll

If you keep all the stuff in the back of your truck at all times where are you going to put a dead animal?

There's alway a way no matter the setup

MichelD
07-29-2020, 05:32 PM
I've been doing it since I got my first truck in 1992.

I put down two or even three of those cheap blue foamies, plus a Thermarest.

Most of my stuff I pile in Rubbermaid boxes on the other side from me plus at night I put my food containers in the cab.

A few weatherproof odds and ends I put under the truck if it's going to rain.

sako79
07-29-2020, 05:57 PM
Just buy a 13th gen F-150 crew cab lift up the back seats and sleep on the floor

MRP
07-29-2020, 06:26 PM
Lots of week at a time trips in the back of a truck. When I was m u c h younger my 1976 short box was quite tall I'd just sleep under it.

weed782
07-29-2020, 06:34 PM
I sleep in my truck bed all the time. Have a rubber bed liner. Thermorest on top. Build a 2' wide shelf across the front of your canopy for your gear at night. Sleeping bag appropriate for the weather. I have a small folding table that I store on this shelf when traveling. Fold out chair, jet boil and lantern. Good to go. I have a Tule like roof box for shovel, tire chains, axe, chainsaw, ropes etc. keeps it out of the bed and makes setting up for sleeping easier. Tarp if weather is crap.

BowsUp
07-29-2020, 06:40 PM
Been sleeping in a Suburban for decades. We are on our third. Eight foot plus bed holds a queen size inflatable. Moisture is an issue so windows left open. Room for coolers and food at the foot of the mattress. Great for a couple of days but beyond that....

abbyfireguy
07-29-2020, 07:11 PM
I’ve slept in the back of every truck I’ve ever had..
Always had a canopy, most were dry,none were insulated .
A foamie mattress and one of several different sleeping bags depending the weather.
My 97 Dodge was a long box so lots of room.
Slept at Pateros Washington in the hills after helping a friend clean up after he lost his house to a forest fire.
Just me and the coyotes, a pretty neat experience.
My current truck is a short box,but plenty big enough as I’m only 5’10”.

338win mag
07-29-2020, 07:49 PM
I would get an insulated tarp, they are around 100 bucks, home hardware has them.
I would put it over my canopy if I had one, if not, in the past, I have brought a few 2x4's along and an impact driver and screws and made some pretty good shelters that worked in some real bad rainstorms.

geologist
07-29-2020, 07:59 PM
Always Toyota extended cab 4x4 pickups with plain flat roof canopies.

I make a 6' long, 30" wide from 1/2" plywood on 6" or 8" high legs. I can store some gear under it. I put a foamie or a Thermarest pad on it and then a sleeping bag rated for the conditions.

My dog sleeps beside me.

nature girl
07-29-2020, 08:03 PM
The best hunting trips i had was when we had our truck and canopy. Just get a jysk 6" foam mattress. The trick is just dont take along alot of extra crap with you. A little stove and soup. Or if it just for a couple days a small cooler and some sandwich meat and buns.
Our setup was pretty easy we would just have to take the spare tire out and like 4 jerry cans out of the back of the truck every night but besides that is was a fun way to camp and hunt.
We always lucked out it never really ever rained hard out.

MOOSE MILK
07-29-2020, 08:08 PM
I had a little higher canopy, put 3/4" sheet ply across on the top of side of box so all the gear and stuff could go underneath. Worked out great...put the meat under the bunk so could sleep on top on way home. Just be sure to have an air space between bed of truck and meat as exhaust can get pretty warm.

Big Lew
07-29-2020, 11:23 PM
I've had people over 6 ft and myself sleep in the cab of my 1981-1987-1994, and 2005 Nissan Frontiers
quite comfortably while out hunting and fishing rather than set up a tent. Remove the headrest, move the
seats all the way down and back, stuff the foot wells with duffel bags etc, lay your clothes in the dip of the seat,
put your sleeping bag onto the seat and get in. During mosquito season I would secure netting with the closed
doors and leave a window partly open. Bit of a squirming session getting dressed inside but if it's not raining it
can be done outside the door and you're ready to go.

Squamch
07-30-2020, 08:15 AM
I just lay out my thermarest and sleeping bag and sack out in the box of my f350 if the canopy is on. If not, flip the back seat up and sleep on the floor in the back. If I'm feeling ritzy, I'll use a double sized air mattress.
Did the same in my toyota. A 6' box with a toolbox in it, has enough room for a 6' tall guy to sleep corner to corner. Flatten one back seat out in the 4runner and do the same.

adriaticum
07-30-2020, 10:22 AM
I do it all the time, especially when I'm scouting new areas.
If you are set for a specific area then it makes sense to have a tent/camper etc.
But otherwise it's not necessary.
I don't really shoot for comfort, but a good night sleep is essential.

Frank grimes
07-30-2020, 11:32 AM
Some pretty cool set ups here.
a canopy isn’t in the budget this year. So if it’s not raining I’m probably just throw my thermarest and bag in the back. Still thinking of picking up a bedroll. I seen a guy with one last year, he kept it rolled up in the box. Seemed nice having everything together and kept his sleeping bag and mat clean. Was water proof too. Not cheap though. My thermorest MondoKing should be here today too, I hope it’s a comfy as it looks. Definitely don’t want to pack it though at almost 5lbs.

lovemywinchester
07-30-2020, 11:55 AM
I have a 19 Silverado. A new canopy is just under $3000!!!! Crazy what things cost these days. I slept in a tent last weekend for the first time in a few years. It was great but it was dry out. Rain can make things shitty pretty quickly.

ActionJackson017
07-30-2020, 02:06 PM
I'm not sure what kind of sorcery BRvalley uses, but there's no way i could leave 2 smokies out in that proximity to my chocolate lab! Thanks for sharing the pics though.

I bought a double sized memory foam mattress topper that fits between the wheel wells in the back of my truck. I sleep comfortably in there (5'9'') but hadn't considered what I'd do if I needed to toss an animal in the back too. I'd probably hang the deer overnight, pack up the truck in the morning, then make my way home I guess.

Panzerfauste
08-01-2020, 12:58 PM
I do this and I have it pretty close to perfected if I must brag....

Build a plywood shelf over the wheel wells that covets the entire bed of the truck. Toss in a full size mattress topper or egg crate foam mattress, whatever you can find. Make sure your canopy is carpet lined and fill in any cracks in your tailgate with a rubber tailgate sealing gssket. This will keep yout shit clean from dust from driving around.

After you have your plywood platform bed set up, find some long totes with wheels that will slide under the platform.

The key to using the set up effectively is to stay organized. Get everything you can under the bed and keep the coolers and everything else in the back seat.

Try to keep your sleeping area clear so you can keep mobile without having to set up your bed and move everything at the end of the day or in the morning.

You can buy peices of velcro and velcro shit to the carpetted liner of the canopy too.

I have lights and a usb fan that I strap to the carpet roof.

If you end up reaaaalllly liking this set up, you can look into getting a Deep cycle battery to run your electronics and run a heated mattress pad off of without having to worry about killing your starter battery. Then charge your back up battery with your alternator when you drive around.

I absolutely love this set up. The security of the hard shell canopy and access to some creature comforts when Im out solo help me feel comfortable and keep me going longer.

caddisguy
08-01-2020, 01:29 PM
Me and my wife sleep in the Jeep TJ right in the front seats. We just put them as far back as they go and put a support under our legs. It works great for us little people :)

geologist
08-01-2020, 01:37 PM
Best gun you have to keep in the back of the truck when you're sleeping in it?

Either this:

https://i.imgur.com/Ac8Ryj0l.jpg

Or this:

https://i.imgur.com/ZPZo02Jl.jpg

mod7rem
08-01-2020, 04:33 PM
Most of my November deer hunting is solo and I’ve been sleeping in a truck canopy for at least 15 years. If the box is long enough I’ll use a cot with a foamy on top. One of my trucks the box was short so I made a plywood bed on top of milk crates that went from corner to corner with a foam on top of that. I used that truck for 10 years, now I’m back into a longer box so I use a cot. My heat source is an RV furnace that I took out of an old camper 15 years ago. Take the bug screen out of one window, then when you’re setting up, slide the window open and pop in a piece of sheet metal with the proper size hole for the furnace vent. The furnace is bolted onto a shortened milk crate that stacked on top of another milk crate is just the right height for the vent pipe to slide through the hole in the sheet metal. Run a hose outside to a propane bottle and I have vented and thermostat controlled convection heat.
I’ve spent many November nights in down to -25 C temps with this setup. In those temps the bottom of the box is frozen but from about mid level up is warm. I started using some insulated tarps on the box floor for cold temps.

MontyLake
08-03-2020, 03:58 PM
I use either a single air mattress (cheap one from walmart) or will use my backpacking air pad with few layers of foam, taped together so it doesn't separate as you roll around.....both work well, I think the cheap air mattress is more comfortable, but not as durable with punctures

I keep my gear in a two large tupperware containers, 150L i think from costco...so they go on the ground beside the truck and i'm in bed in a few minutes

propane heater will cause a lot of condensation, even with the insulated/carpeted roof, condensation is still there just doesn't drip down, i've turned the roof carpet to ice in my last canopy.....i only use the buddy heater to heat for 10-15 mins at a time, usually going to bed or waking up

through the night I burn candles to help take the edge off, I like the double size tea candles and will burn 4-6 of them (always light 2 fresh ones just before I fall asleep so they will last almost to morning), space them out and prop up my boiling pot over them, so it helps radiate the heat a bit and cuts down the light while sleeping....the candles keep it just above zero, coffee water doesn't freeze....I can truck camp comfortably down to around -10, after that I'll take the time to setup the tent and wood stove

I have considered using a cot, or building a plywood platform, but I prefer to have the extra head room (my canopy is flush with cab height) and my system works well enough with the large tupperware, one for hunting gear, one for camping gear, quick and easy when I want to sleep

lots of ideas in the overland truck forums/groups if you are thinking of building a deck system of some sort

https://i.imgur.com/oWTYwhL.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/mZKC5B4.jpg

Thanks for the candle tip. Never thought of that.

Darksith
08-03-2020, 04:42 PM
Worst part about sleeping in the back of a truck when you're 6' 2"... well you know how hard it is to find 6' boxes on pickups these days.

Slept across the back seat of more than one truck. From Dodge Dakotas to 2019 F250s... but for a night or two, it's pretty hard to beat this option.

I've played around with different canopy options when I had one on the Ol Dodge Turbo POS...

This was in deer camp hitting -30s. Made sure there was windows vented. It was turn propane heater on to warm up. Turn off heater and sleep. Repeat until morning.

You just need to get a better bag!
amazon...Military Outdoor Clothing Previously Issued U.S. G.I. Modular Sleeping Bag System (4-Piece) (https://www.amazon.ca/Military-Outdoor-Clothing-Previously-Sleeping/dp/B00GCHKW12/ref=sr_1_15?dchild=1&keywords=military+sleeping+bag&qid=1596497837&sr=8-15)This bag Ive slept in -20 np, haven't tried -30 yet but I bet Im fine, system is rated to -45. Break it apart for summer hunts or use the full system for winter. Weighs 10lbs but if your just truck hunting who cares. Green liner (0 rated) is just over 3lbs, black (-20 rated) is 5lbs bivy is 2lbs, advertised

boxhitch
08-04-2020, 08:58 AM
Some pretty cool set ups here.
a canopy isn’t in the budget this year. So if it’s not raining I’m probably just throw my thermarest and bag in the back. Still thinking of picking up a bedroll. I seen a guy with one last year, he kept it rolled up in the box. Seemed nice having everything together and kept his sleeping bag and mat clean. Was water proof too. Not cheap though. My thermorest MondoKing should be here today too, I hope it’s a comfy as it looks. Definitely don’t want to pack it though at almost 5lbs.A bedroll can be made out of anything, bedsheet, canvas, silnylon, I have one out of a rubberized nylon army poncho
Our first 'canopy' was a wood frame with a plastic VB tarp

warnniklz
08-04-2020, 09:49 AM
You just need to get a better bag!
amazon...Military Outdoor Clothing Previously Issued U.S. G.I. Modular Sleeping Bag System (4-Piece) (https://www.amazon.ca/Military-Outdoor-Clothing-Previously-Sleeping/dp/B00GCHKW12/ref=sr_1_15?dchild=1&keywords=military+sleeping+bag&qid=1596497837&sr=8-15)

This bag Ive slept in -20 np, haven't tried -30 yet but I bet Im fine, system is rated to -45. Break it apart for summer hunts or use the full system for winter. Weighs 10lbs but if your just truck hunting who cares. Green liner (0 rated) is just over 3lbs, black (-20 rated) is 5lbs bivy is 2lbs, advertised

I was rocking this bag

https://www.chinooktec.com/index.php/sleeping-bags/trailside-oversized-insufil-1/product/85-trailside-dawson-8-22f-sleeping-bag

With a down duvet and mexican wool blanket over top. I'm just a wimp.

BimmerBob
08-04-2020, 10:11 AM
I was rocking this bag.

All by yourself? That is just sick... ;)

warnniklz
08-04-2020, 10:34 AM
All by yourself? That is just sick... ;)

Better than with family

Harvest the Land
08-08-2020, 10:14 PM
How many do this when camping/hunting solo instead of pitching a tent? How do you do it? Pros and cons?
thinking about picking up something like a canvas cutter bedroll, or something and a thermarest MondoKing or Exped megamat 10. And just sleeping in the truck bed. If I put a lid on it I think I could even run a small buddy heater in the colder months if needed. Not sure though.

You bet that's the only way I do it. Got an ARE taller canopy that I use for work, with no windows and its awesome. Keeps me dry, drains out sound better (which is nice if you're within sound distance of a busy highway like the Coq), saves time on setting up/taking down the tent, and if you want to relocate to an entirely different area to hunt for that evening/next day, super fast to just turn on the truck and drive away.

Pick up one of those little buddy heaters and you can turn it on in middle of the night if you wake up cold, heats the area up in just a couple minutes. Also, its definitely worth your time making sure that you park in as level a spot as possible so you don't shift up/down while sleeping. Get one of those 4" thick foam mattresses and Bob's Your Uncle. Can't really thing of any cons.

Good luck Frank

Downwindtracker2
08-09-2020, 09:50 AM
I've slept in my canopy a couple of times on a cold fall weekend hunts. I used a propane fueled cat heater, but because you have to leave at least a small window opening, I'm not sure that was much of a gain. One time I parked at a Rec site so I had a table. I use a rebuilt camper now for hunting. Much more pleasant.

browningboy
08-09-2020, 09:52 AM
I can provide 1” or 2” neoprene liners for the bed if anyone is interested, PU only in lower mainland

MichelD
08-24-2020, 10:31 AM
This is what I do. This is from last week. During hunting season I have a frame pack full of meat bags, a sack of ropes and a packsack full of tarps too.

https://i.imgur.com/2JREA3M.jpg

caddisguy
08-24-2020, 07:05 PM
Took this picture a couple nights ago. Another picture of our "Jeep TJ Nest". I actually didn't get in my sleeping bag (just slept on top of it with a blanket) and ended up chilly. First freeze up of the year. I am not sure what the temperature went down to, but it was enough to freeze half empty water bottles and ice up the windshield really good. Only around 500M too. Fall is on the way! :) Anyway, this setup is good to minus -20C which we have done a number of times... probably fine a lot lower.

https://i.imgur.com/cvYqers.jpg

tav611
08-24-2020, 08:11 PM
Great way sleep for a night or two. I used 4 inch foam rigid that goes in home floors. Then a foamy pad and blankets worked great.

caddisguy
08-24-2020, 08:15 PM
Great way sleep for a night or two. I used 4 inch foam rigid that goes in home floors. Then a foamy pad and blankets worked great.

Sounds comfy and pretty good insulation... keeps the cocoa hot and the kool-aid cool