PDA

View Full Version : November Deer Hunting

BCrams
10-16-2007, 04:14 PM
I don't know about the rest of you boys and girls but November cannot come soon enough for deer hunting!

Here's to hoping for 2 inches of fresh snow each night and crisp -10 degree weather everyday.

Hope see a buck or two!

Kirby
10-16-2007, 04:19 PM
Nov 2nd till Dec 10 is booked off right now, should be able to make it out for a day or two:-P

Kirby

Kechika
10-16-2007, 04:24 PM
To bad all those big Peace bucks starved to death

Jetboater
10-16-2007, 04:32 PM
I ve been waking up with the shakes lately

Brambles
10-16-2007, 06:11 PM
Why wait for November, not being a smartass, the last two years a local guy has shot 2 HOGGS in October. Not sure if the Rut starts earlier around here or what but one Nets 228 and the other Nets 214 both non-typical, and yes a quad is involved, he aint the hiking type apparently.

I have been looking for deer activitly the last week and have seen next to nothing,

what says ya'll:cool:

brotherjack
10-16-2007, 06:31 PM
I'm with Brambles - no time like the present. I don't know that I recall a year when my whitetail tag wasn't cut in September sometime (usually during bow season).

Hunting early season deer is really just a different technique than later season. Right now your deer lives somewhere - an area probably no bigger than a square kilometer or two. Put in your time and put some miles on your boots (not your quad) looking for big buck sign, and once you find it, find a good ambush spot (water is my favourte, as they typically get up about half an hour before dark for a drink), and get real still and quiet with your gun pointed at the trail. Probably won't take you more than two or three days to put him on the ground.

mark
10-16-2007, 06:49 PM
I don't know about the rest of you boys and girls but November cannot come soon enough for deer hunting!

Here's to hoping for 2 inches of fresh snow each night and crisp -10 degree weather everyday.

Hope see a buck or two!

Couldnt agree more!!! All hunting before Nov. is just scouting to me! Ive been skunked on everything so far this year, but my time is coming :-D. I feel like a little kid waiting for christmas! I too plan on taking the month off work :mrgreen:. I feel a good season coming on too, unlike last year!

ARC
10-16-2007, 06:56 PM
I'm talking a fair bit of holiday time in November as well. It's by far my favorite time of year to be out chasing deer around. It's coming quick, cant wait!

fozzy
10-16-2007, 07:04 PM
I just booked off the week of Nov 3-10 for region 8 Mulies, then back to work for a week then 8-12 8-14 Whitetails for the last week :)
Not nearly enough time for hunting but we'll make do:wink:

muleychaser
10-16-2007, 07:16 PM
I hear ya BCRams that time of year is coming again. I had to turn down a river boat trip down in Gang country this weekend and that definately hurt. Nothing left to do but work my butt off so hopefully I can get out for 1 or 2 weekends in the end of november.

Marc
10-16-2007, 07:16 PM
I just booked off the week of Nov 3-10 for region 8 Mulies, then back to work for a week then 8-12 8-14 Whitetails for the last week :)
Not nearly enough time for hunting but we'll make do:wink:

Hey Wayne, doesn't look like I'll be able to go hunting whitetails with you again this year.:wink:

Mckinney Creek Adventures
10-16-2007, 07:22 PM
Yep, only a few more sleeps. I seen a 4x3 WHitey last evening with five does. Let the games begin. Hopefully the snows come early this year again similar to last year.

MCA

dukester
10-16-2007, 07:33 PM

Hope see a buck or two!

x 2 omg i pray for snow come Nov 5th till Dec 6 th for sask whitetail season. 3rd week on Nov -20 8 inches of snow would be very nice.

WoodOx
10-16-2007, 07:58 PM
hey Duke, am I correct to say that the canadan resident whitetail season tends to coincide with the end of the rut in sask?

Orangethunder
10-16-2007, 08:02 PM
I am looking for 2" of snow on the 9th and an inch every day thereafter until the 20th. Minus 2 everyday. And the whole forest to myself....

J_T
10-16-2007, 08:09 PM
Sorry guys. I don't start my whitetailing until December.

Early November is for mulies, mid november for goats, late November is for gathering firewood:razz:

It's the late season "bow only" (oops, bad word) whitetail season for me.

brotherjack
10-16-2007, 08:12 PM
Sorry guys. I don't start my whitetailing until December.

Early November is for mulies, mid november for goats, late November is for gathering firewood:razz:

It's the late season "bow only" (oops, bad word) whitetail season for me.

I wish I could hunt the late season whitetail in bow only. That would be a great wrap-up to a hunting season! But my whitetail tag is always long gone by then, and unless this just turns out to be a bad year for mulies - my region 4 bag limit of 2 is always long gone by then. :(

Fisher-Dude
10-16-2007, 08:19 PM
I was on a fir ridge late yesterday with snorting, bouncing mulies running around me. There ain't nothin' like it!

Too bad our 'fraidy-cat biologist closes mulies down on Nov 10 here, just when it starts getting good. His theory: "Since we closed off rut hunting, the harvest is down, so that means there aren't enough deer to extend the season back where it was before the winter of 1997 when we closed it down." :???: No $hit Sherlock.

And then in the paper says: "Oh, there are so many mule deer out there now that they are raiding crops and gardens, and causing problems in urban areas, and I just don't know what to do about it!" :confused:

Help me Lord. :-(

dana
10-16-2007, 08:24 PM
Pre97 was still a Nov 10th closure. Was Nov 10th as far back as I remember hunting as a kid.

Doc
10-16-2007, 08:25 PM
Oct Can be good !! We always take the 1st week of Oct for a mulie hunt here in the Okanagan, and have some pretty good results from year to year includeing one Awesome 5x5 >> And it was his 1st Mulie!!!. This years mulie is now at the butcher , A respectable 4x3 at 186lbs butcher ready. But yes>>> I will wait till Nov for my whitetail hunt, the snow is fun Doc

Fisher-Dude
10-16-2007, 08:29 PM
Pre97 was still a Nov 10th closure. Was Nov 10th as far back as I remember hunting as a kid.

Your memory's gettin' bad from all that thin alpine air. Closed Nov 15 through the early 90s, was Nov 20 before that, and I remember it being Nov 30 in the 70s (my brother's wedding was Nov 29 and it meant "no last weekend"). Prior to that, it was Dec 10 or 15 I've been told.

Edit: Kettle/Grandby MUs have always closed earlier for mulies than the rest of region 8 - did you boys ever get out of Rendell back then? :cool:

dana
10-16-2007, 09:53 PM
I'm thinking about 8-10 and 8-8 primarily. There was a late bow-only hunt in 8-8 but as far as when I was hunting those units as a kid, they were always Nov 10th. I remember in the early 80's when they closed muleys in the Christian Valley down on Oct 31st so they wouldn't get hit so hard during the migration. Whiteys were shut down then too for a couple of weeks and then they would open them back up for the last 2 weeks of Nov. My memory ain't fading. Always remember if we wanted to keep on hunting after Nov 10th, it was either the Christian Valley for whiteys, the late bowseason, or else we'd head to Region 3.

tufferthandug
10-16-2007, 10:26 PM
Aye, Rams it's 'bout time to start carrying a shed antler aboot and give a few willows a whippin. One of the best time o' the year's a comin!!!!!!!!!!

Brambles
10-17-2007, 09:37 AM
Aye, Rams it's 'bout time to start carrying a shed antler aboot and give a few willows a whippin. One of the best time o' the year's a comin!!!!!!!!!!

That reminds me, I don't have a nice heavy shed antler to rake brush with while still hunting, anyone got one I can buy off you or trade or something
no jokin I do need one......

bruin
10-17-2007, 01:01 PM
I noticed the pic of the 2 kids with a 3x4 his neck is getting pretty thick already. The bucks here in alberta are looking ready and I saw a whitey buck 130's paired up with a doe. I am probably just seeing what I want to see. It would be awesome if I could get some mulie pre rut action the last weekend of the month, last for archery mulie

Will
10-17-2007, 08:56 PM
Got a week off myself coming up shortly.
Might just get out myself for a day or two as well:wink: