PDA

View Full Version : First Moose Hunt 7-27 (tips needed)

Murder
07-13-2020, 08:42 AM
Life is finally working out this year and our group is heading to 7-27 with 2 bull moose draws. Be there from Oct 10-26. Any tips for hunting moose in this area on those dates. We have never hunted moose so anything is helpful as far as how to find one, tactics to use.

I know i get excited every year to chase black tails on van isl but this year is special. Hitting the bench soon to load some 160 Barnes TSX for the 7mm Rem Mag, and some 400 Grain Barnes Busters for the 1895 Marlin 45-70.

I couldn't be more pumped up!

Thanks for any help all.

chuckerb
07-17-2020, 02:35 PM
Never hunted 7-27 but will be up at 7-26 at dolphine lake and area,good fishing in the lakes if you have a canoe or small boat. Mybe we will see you up there as Oct1 to the 15. We have a group draw for 2 bulls to. We are from the Island Me from Sooke now but lived in Duncan for 40 years. Good luck to you all. Chuck B.

Murder
07-17-2020, 06:00 PM
Never hunted 7-27 but will be up at 7-26 at dolphine lake and area,good fishing in the lakes if you have a canoe or small boat. Mybe we will see you up there as Oct1 to the 15. We have a group draw for 2 bulls to. We are from the Island Me from Sooke now but lived in Duncan for 40 years. Good luck to you all. Chuck B.

We will be a ways from Dolphine but you never know!

HappyJack
07-17-2020, 06:46 PM
Moose love red willow and water. A lot of times they will feed and bed down in more open areas with lots of willow, you can find a high spot and use your bino's to spot for them, they get up and feed for a bit before heading back into the timber. I've seen them wait until as late as 11am before getting out of their beds. Look for tracks and willows they have been feeding on. I like to hunt the feed and water, cow calling can work wonders too.

Fennemonster
07-17-2020, 11:55 PM
Which way are you taking to get to 7-27. I was just over there on the weekend. Usually quite busy during the time you are going.

decker9
07-18-2020, 07:18 AM
PM inbound

Murder
07-21-2020, 05:00 PM
Which way are you taking to get to 7-27. I was just over there on the weekend. Usually quite busy during the time you are going.

Barging across Babine Lake to Tochcha lake

Murder
07-21-2020, 05:01 PM
Moose love red willow and water. A lot of times they will feed and bed down in more open areas with lots of willow, you can find a high spot and use your bino's to spot for them, they get up and feed for a bit before heading back into the timber. I've seen them wait until as late as 11am before getting out of their beds. Look for tracks and willows they have been feeding on. I like to hunt the feed and water, cow calling can work wonders too.

Thank you sir, I'll be sure to heed your advice!

SF2020
07-22-2020, 01:13 AM
Hunted there last year. Filled one of 2 tags. It was a tough hunt. Tons of recent logging, some issues with the local natives. They actually had an entire area gated off to the north on the west side of Takla Lake. We did find some good areas though... get off the beaten path and away from the main roads. Most hunters just hunting the mains. The barge is the way to go but I would make sure to call before and make sure the schedule is still regular during those dates.

Spy
10-05-2022, 11:23 PM
Hunted there last year. Filled one of 2 tags. It was a tough hunt. Tons of recent logging, some issues with the local natives. They actually had an entire area gated off to the north on the west side of Takla Lake. We did find some good areas though... get off the beaten path and away from the main roads. Most hunters just hunting the mains. The barge is the way to go but I would make sure to call before and make sure the schedule is still regular during those dates.
Who would you call.. I’m heading that way pretty soon, so hopefully the barge is running...

Spy
10-06-2022, 08:38 AM
Anyone have info on the barge. Thanks

srupp
10-06-2022, 10:50 AM
the rut will still be going on..waning but still effective..most effective method..

buck expert scent dispersing units aka..tampons..
truth is you can cover way more area calling than you can walk in a week or still hunt in a month
first light..low/no wind..loud..
specific questions..pm me I will call
dont know about the barge.
steven

Spy
10-06-2022, 11:14 AM
Ok thanks ......:

Sitkaspruce
10-06-2022, 07:42 PM
Spy

Canfor Houston used to run the barge. Call them and see if they still do or who does.

Lots of area to hunt there, but lost of people too as most who get the draw hunt that area of 27. Hunt the lakes if you have a boat. Call and fish at the same time, some big trout in the lakes! Head further north up past the west arm and there is lots of puddles and lakes to explore, but you will need to walk to access some of them.

Good luck

Cheers

SS

high horse Hal
10-07-2022, 03:22 PM
Heard of a party having good success in toward Purvis Lake, looks too easy