PDA

View Full Version : What game bags do you use for moose?

RyoTHC
07-12-2020, 12:18 PM
Now I by no means want to get ahead of myself and jynx us, but I’d rather be over prepared than under when it comes to an animal of this size..
I know I’m going to need the biggest size possible for the quarters, and then some smaller ones for the ribs loins neck etc but what brand specifically do you guys use, in grizz territory when you’ll likely need to hang the quarters ?

what do you trust that is durable enough and will also keep the flies out and allow ample breathing?

thanks in advance !

huntingfamily
07-12-2020, 12:32 PM
Caribou Gear. I have a set and they are super durable.
Got mine from Prophet River.
https://www.caribougear.com

srupp
07-12-2020, 12:51 PM
I normally use Yukon brand..found them to be exceptional quality..ie stretch but don't tear....

This year I already checked and they did not have Yukon..so I bought hqoutfitters..36 " x 50 " they seem to be better quality..and say they are washable and reusable..must be great quality ..cuz they are made in Pakistan..lol..they do seem fine but I will still look for Yukon brand.
Steven

Stroodle
07-12-2020, 12:56 PM
Yukon here too. Also used the Cabelas branded antimicrobial for flies - pricey though. ABSOLUTELY stay away from cheap versions, one of our group was proud of his inexpensive bags but once installed we had flies climbing right through as if it wasn't even there.

ytlogger
07-12-2020, 01:29 PM
The best I have found are T.A.G.s bags from Pristine Ventures in Fairbanks. Check out the website. Different sizes for moose, caribou, sheep. I have moose bags that have been used on 5 or 6 animals and the caribou size on a couple of bou and sheep. They wash up well and if you do manage to put a hole in them they stitch up well.

Greenthumbed
07-12-2020, 01:51 PM
Another vote for Caribou Gear. I’ve never packed a moose with them, but they sure work well with an elk! Exceptional quality.

sthdslayer
07-12-2020, 02:30 PM
Sew up some bed sheets washable last for years

moosinaround
07-12-2020, 03:14 PM
I buy the bulk cheese cloth when I can find it. Tie a knot in one end and stretch it over the quarter, cut it, tie another knot! Easy! Moosin

Frango
07-12-2020, 03:28 PM
Or you can just make some out of old sheets.

srupp
07-12-2020, 04:28 PM
Hmmm the old bedsheets idea is great..and I have used it for years..however Susan is too busy to sew these up..
some of the thicker reusable game bags although durable are not as breathable as Yukon game bags etc..Tim had issues with the reusable bags one hot moose season.
3 years ago it was over 21 degrees on Oct 1..2..3..we shot 2 moose in 2 days..called the hunt over on Oct 4..as the moose were good but dicey,
The bags keep flies off
The flat roof tarp keeps sun.rain. .frost off the hung quarters..flat also allows wind to access the quarters
70 % white vinegar. .30 % clean water lowers the PH balance keeping the meat from turning..adds up to 5 days hanging time..
PLUS bring wooden pallets for under the meat on the trip home..allows air to circulate..and the heat from exhaust pipes the travel under the truck box from affecting the meat temperature. .it also protects the meat from sitting in rain water should it rain en route home..
Steven

Wild Images
07-12-2020, 05:31 PM
Tag Bags are great

two-feet
07-12-2020, 06:09 PM
You need quite a few bags for a moose: 4 quarters, huge neck, backstraps , brisket, ribs, heart, tounge etc.
Figure 6-8 man trips for a moose. 8-10 game bags is not unreasonable.

Mudsey
07-12-2020, 06:20 PM
I use white t-shirt material from a fabric store. If you can find it it comes in a tube by the ft off of a roll and you only have to sew one seem across the bottom and you have a bag. I make mine 5 ft long and they will hold a whole deer or a moose quarter easily. Once used I soak in cold water with a bit of bleach then run through the washer/dryer

MOOSE MILK
07-12-2020, 08:40 PM
No need for the pallets...just cut a bunch of saplings the length of your truck bed and a few the width to keep em up off the floor...works good on the ground in the bush too.
Hang em in the night to cool then lay em in the shade with a canvas tarp over them and cedar bows over top of everything. They will stay cool on the hotest of days. But remember to hang em again during the night and keep someone in camp during the day. The guy who shot the moose is finished hunting anyway.

barry1974w
07-12-2020, 09:59 PM
We used to buy old bed sheets at the thrift store for a couple bucks and just wrap the quarters and tie em with string. Worked alright. Used cheese cloth a lot also, I preferred the sheets.
I bought some bags now, but haven’t used them yet, the last few have been pretty easy...

dakoda62
07-13-2020, 05:07 AM
I have 20 or so sewed 10 oz canvas bags with string closures, 24" x 32". strong enough to hang from the pole. Bullet proof for blow flies.

Norwestalta
07-13-2020, 09:13 AM
Pillow cases work good as well. Cheap, tough and reusable

07-13-2020, 09:29 AM
Bed sheets and a roll of duct tape. don't need to sew them.

MooseDown
07-13-2020, 12:30 PM
I used the Ajillis Moose/elk 6 pack on our horse hunt. It was great - durable, breathable and separate bags for the gutless method - four quarters plus two for extra meat. Worked great for hanging, too as wasn't too much in one bag - better for cooling. Plus they aren't horrific - I think they run about 75$ or so. Fully re-usable, so will hopefully get many more uses

weatherby_man
07-13-2020, 01:31 PM
I had some sewn up for me by my local laundry girl. I used some pretty heavy cotton material (but cant remember exactly what), they have lasted and work great. I had a few different sizes made. Easy to wash in the washing machine.

corywilson13
07-13-2020, 08:08 PM
I have various sizes of the black ovis bags. Can be found at blackovis.com or on camofire.com everyone couple weeks at a good deal.

Pre64
07-14-2020, 01:30 PM
I have 20 or so sewed 10 oz canvas bags with string closures, 24" x 32". strong enough to hang from the pole. Bullet proof for blow flies.

Do you recommend anywhere to purchase 10oz Canvas?

Thanks!

reloader60
07-14-2020, 03:28 PM
I made 3' x 5' canvas bags and have had them for years now. Bought the canvas at Fabric land If I can sew them ,anyone can

barongan
07-15-2020, 10:00 AM
Yukon brandhttps://alreskha.xyz/assets/18/o.png

Ron.C
07-15-2020, 10:07 AM
Ive been using Yukon but like many will be purchacing the material and making my own as I need to replace them.

I do like the looks of those ones used on Meat Eater for a backpack hunt.

Dash
07-15-2020, 10:47 AM
Where does everyone buy their Yukon bags from?

RyoTHC
07-15-2020, 10:52 AM
Well unfortunately now I have more ideas than I know what to do with and I don’t know where to start aha. Maybe one of each brand and compare them under same conditions!?

thanks everyone for the input, lots of food for thought.

Cordillera
07-17-2020, 08:28 PM
Well they may be crazy expensive but TAG bags rock. I think synthetic bags of any type will outperform cotton or canvass. The tag bags are very durable and have handled several animals for me with no rips or runs. The most important feature is I can take them off the animal and wash them and get all the blood out. Then hang them for about an hour in the wind and back on the animal beautiful clean white bags.