PDA

View Full Version : What’s the best backpacking/hiking socks?

Bustercluck
07-11-2020, 08:54 PM
I’m looking for some opinions here. I tried a pair of my buddy’s first lite socks last fall and fell in love with them. I went to order 3 pairs of socks a couple of weeks ago and they wanted $75 for shipping. The bill was around $200 so I decided to go a different route. I ordered some darn tough heavy hiking socks, but they really don’t compare, so now I’m out another $70. I probably should have just paid the shipping.

Anyways, who knows of a reasonable sock with a heavy foot bed designed for hiking with the top and ankle sections lighter. Must be merino.

jtred
07-11-2020, 09:09 PM
Don't know if they're merino but they are wool, Wigwam has a variety of really good hiking/backpacking socks. I like them and they seem to last. I have to buy some more soon mine are getting older. I use all seasons for any type of outdoor recreation; hiking, hunting, backpacking, snowshoeing, crosscountry skiing. I have a variety of different thicknesses for different temperatures.

Squamch
07-11-2020, 09:13 PM
I like the drifit socks from Marks, and icebreaker light hikers for merino.

338win mag
07-11-2020, 09:17 PM
Don't know if they're merino but they are wool, Wigwam has a variety of really good hiking/backpacking socks. I like them and they seem to last. I have to buy some more soon mine are getting older. I use all seasons for any type of outdoor recreation; hiking, hunting, backpacking, snowshoeing, crosscountry skiing. I have a variety of different thicknesses for different temperatures.
x2 on the Wigwams.

Krico
07-11-2020, 09:35 PM
All the fancy Wigwam, Smartwool, Icebreaker etc are very nice. But to be honest I haven’t found them any better or longer lasting than the $15 3 pack of Kirkland brand from Costco.

jac
07-11-2020, 09:37 PM
I use darn tough

DesiMunda
07-11-2020, 09:45 PM
If you have quality shoes, no point in spending big buck on socks....I buy/bought mine (3pairs) from bass pro many years ago and they would replace them for free for life..(can’t remember the brand as it’s my scotch now)....you don’t want something too warm, sweaty feet not a good thing.

Mak

Springer
07-11-2020, 11:06 PM
Nylon HH liner sock and a pair of Merino over top...

mpotzold
07-11-2020, 11:45 PM
Check posts #’s 31,43,44
http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?81779-And-the-best-socks-are/page4&highlight=wool+socks

Gave a couple pairs away as presents & still have the other 2 pairs. They are in excellent shape & definitely worth their weight in gold!:-D

Bustercluck
07-12-2020, 04:01 AM
I have a pair of Thorlos coming from amazon. They say to go up a half size on your boots, which I can’t change. We’ll see what happens

Bustercluck
07-12-2020, 04:03 AM
Check posts #’s 31,43,44
http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?81779-And-the-best-socks-are/page4&highlight=wool+socks

Gave a couple pairs away as presents & still have the other 2 pairs. They are in excellent shape & definitely worth their weight in gold!:-D
The redheads look good too. They didn’t have my size online. I’ve never been into a bass pro before, maybe I’ll try before summer is out. I have a trip to the Calgary zoo planned for August.

* Cabelas is carrying these. We’ll see if they offer free shipping in the next bit.

eatram
07-12-2020, 09:36 AM
Socks? Seriously?! Why would you want to carry the extra weight? Barefoot for me, lol

sky-gunner
07-12-2020, 10:10 AM
Wigwam. Fast drying, always warm, last for years.

albravo2
07-12-2020, 10:13 AM
All the fancy Wigwam, Smartwool, Icebreaker etc are very nice. But to be honest I haven’t found them any better or longer lasting than the $15 3 pack of Kirkland brand from Costco.

I've been buying the Costco merino socks since they were first introduced. They were perfect at the beginning. I still like them but the quality has definitely been diminishing over the years. Less merino in them now and I find they fit a bit smaller.

I have a couple pairs of smartwool heavy socks and they are very good.

Noreasny
07-12-2020, 10:30 AM
I use the Kuiu merino socks I’ve used them multiple days in a row and put hundreds of Km’s on them with no issue

HikerHunter
07-12-2020, 10:40 AM
i use regular walmart socks and ive never had an issue.

Rob Chipman
07-12-2020, 10:50 AM
Darn Toughs have been pretty good for me. I think they're worth the $$.

Mudsey
07-12-2020, 12:07 PM
I use Bridgedale's from Valhalla Pure. I bought 6 pairs 15 years ago and they are still intact and each pair has 100's of KM on them. I wear 1 pair and don't layer with any others. https://vpo.ca/product/314357/explorer-heavyweight-merino-endurance-boot-socks-mens

GOLDEN TOP SNIPER
07-12-2020, 12:23 PM
Smart Wool and yes they do wear out . i have medium and heavy weight . . But i do figure i get my money out of them . Buy them when there is Deal on them .

Blockcaver
07-12-2020, 12:30 PM
I typically double up the COSTCO merino blend hikers. They perform well for me and only cost about $4/pair in the 4 packs. Wash them hot and dry them in the dryer.

puddlejumper
07-12-2020, 03:51 PM
I’m looking for some opinions here. I tried a pair of my buddy’s first lite socks last fall and fell in love with them. I went to order 3 pairs of socks a couple of weeks ago and they wanted $75 for shipping. The bill was around $200 so I decided to go a different route. I ordered some darn tough heavy hiking socks, but they really don’t compare, so now I’m out another $70. I probably should have just paid the shipping.

Anyways, who knows of a reasonable sock with a heavy foot bed designed for hiking with the top and ankle sections lighter. Must be merino.

Darn Tough! They also claim a lifetime warranty. Have tried Kuiu and others but find DT reliable and haven't had to invoke the warranty as of yet.

Grizzlydick
07-12-2020, 05:48 PM
Darn Tough, hiker. Love them.
Costco one's, like said earlier, were great when they first came out. Now they fit on the small size and not as good as before.

m5wilson
07-12-2020, 08:17 PM
Another vote for Darn tough, the hunter full cushion boot sock. I started with Icebreaker and every pair started to come apart at the top cuff.

Elkaholic
07-12-2020, 08:42 PM
Darn tough are good socks. Bought a pair of wigwams with year and I am blown away with the performance. I wore the same pair all bear season chasing around my dogs my feet have never been more cool or comfortable. Dry very quick as well. Worth the money.

Panzerfauste
07-12-2020, 08:47 PM
Costco wool socks work great for me and I even get the ladies trail socks for warmer months, they are thin merino socks and not even in overly girly colours either.

Biggestfish
07-12-2020, 10:02 PM
I like Darn Tough as well

brn2ryd
07-12-2020, 10:35 PM
Darn Tough. They have a great hiking sock but I've actually started wearing one of their light or medium ski socks with a liner sock.

Romain
07-13-2020, 04:48 AM
Darn Tough socks. They're not a purchase, they're an investment. No other sock brand that has an unconditional lifetime warranty.

dbergen69
07-13-2020, 09:39 AM
I use Icebreaker and Smartwool. Not cheaper but really good socks.

kitnayakwa77
07-13-2020, 10:03 AM
Icebreaker over the calf. No blisters, never fall down, comfortable and stink resistant (for awhile). Expensive but worth it.

2tins
07-13-2020, 10:09 AM
Smartwool.

slowjo
07-16-2020, 05:20 PM
i like smartwool and darn tough brands

Bustercluck
07-16-2020, 05:57 PM
The darn tough hiker boot sock full cushion are growing on me. They seem to have the same amount of material around the whole sock. I’d like a heavier foot pad and just a skim of material on the top.

jikkyo
07-16-2020, 08:44 PM
Darn Tough's are all I wear right now. Hiking, working out, on duty or just out walking dogs. Haven't had a pair rip or tear on me. Wore 1 pair for a 7 day hike and didn't even need a change.

whitlers
07-16-2020, 09:33 PM
Darn Tough's are all I wear right now. Hiking, working out, on duty or just out walking dogs. Haven't had a pair rip or tear on me. Wore 1 pair for a 7 day hike and didn't even need a change.

Where do you get those? I have been wearing the merino ice breaker socks for a few seasons. So far so good.

Arctic Lake
07-16-2020, 09:33 PM
Buy the Costco Merino Wool ones in the 3 or 4 pack whatever it is . I agree they seem to be fitting smaller Large is too snug now ! The heels seem to blow out first maybe that’s the case with all socks !
Arctic Lake

Pocahontas
07-17-2020, 07:35 AM
I have personally tried all brands mentioned above and will definitely say that my Darn Touch socks are by far the most comfortable socks I have ever worn for hiking/hunting. That being said, the icebreakers would be a close second. I found that the Smartwool socks I purchased stretch out while wearing. Costco trails socks are good cheaper socks to fill out your collection and hold you over until you can afford to fill your collection with the nicer ones.

Atlas12
07-17-2020, 04:55 PM
Farm to Feet socks. More Spandex than Darn Tough, so they aren't nearly as tight.
Lots of styles and different cushion.
$9USD shipping to Canada via USPS. Duties and taxes are due at the border though.

Kill-da-wabbit
07-17-2020, 05:42 PM
I use Wigwam wool socks with "diabetic" socks as a thin liner. Diabetic socks are synthetic, thin and very breathable. Wigwams are wool, warm when dry or wet, and very durable. You get the best of both worlds. This setup has worked great except for the hottest part of summer. But it may take some trial and error to find what works best for you and your boots. I took this setup with me when trying on my Lowas, and it made a huge difference in my choice of boot. I wouldn't give up my boot and sock combo for anything now.

Astepanuk
07-17-2020, 10:39 PM
First time I’ve heard of the company name Darn Tough they look pretty neat. What model of sock are you guys running the light hikers sound pretty good from the description on the Sail webpage. I have the mod weight merino Kuiu socks I really like the fit of them have used them on half a dozen 7 plus day mountain trips.

fishhunt
07-18-2020, 06:46 PM
Red Head wool socks from Bass Pro. Have many pairs. Love them. Can wear all day, take off boots, and feet feel and look great!

Jrax
07-18-2020, 10:58 PM
first lite merino over the calf socks worked great. Pack two pairs and switch them out and are like compression socks so good for circulation and long hikes

mpotzold
07-18-2020, 11:42 PM
Red Head wool socks from Bass Pro. Have many pairs. Love them. Can wear all day, take off boots, and feet feel and look great!

Yes, it's hard to beat a redhead!:p
The only problem is that my new dress shoes size will have to increase from 13 to 14.:sad:

fishhunt
07-19-2020, 08:36 AM
I only use the thick Red Head wool socks with my hunting boots or work boots. For running shoes, etc. I have various thinner socks.

Talltimber1
07-20-2020, 07:01 PM
HH liner sock and Wig wam The ice sock.