PDA

View Full Version : Information on Hwy 37 Road Blockades

cassiarkid
07-11-2020, 07:07 AM
Planning to go hunting in the Cassiars’ this fall. Does anyone have any info on any blockades? I heard there were some as low as Morristown? Any info would be muchly appreciated.
Cheers

Jrax
07-11-2020, 08:28 AM
I havent heard of any blockades yet but Moricetown seems very unlikely.

If there was going to be blockades due to Covid i would think that blockading now through the tourist season would make the most sense as it would be the most risky. Fall time there should be less traffic then most years (i think), but also bc hunters going north are going hunting and not hanging out in communities. Closing/restricting community access is one thing but hunting and fishing are low risk activities.

Rob Chipman
07-11-2020, 10:23 AM
At this point I believe the Tahltan Central Government has asked people to not come to their territory. You might find out some more info here: https://tahltan.org

cassiarkid
07-12-2020, 12:14 PM
In May we had a friend who was turned around at Morristown and was told he couldn’t go past. So I know there was one there earlier, just wondering if it was still up, also I guess some of them may not go up until August or September? Thanks

butcher
07-12-2020, 12:48 PM
Nothing at Moricetown in June. Business as usual.

cassiarkid
07-12-2020, 12:55 PM
Thanks for that.

Cordillera
07-17-2020, 08:38 PM
Nothing now but the Tahltan have concerns and are not welcoming hunters at this point. I’d stay tuned.

Avalanche123
07-17-2020, 08:54 PM
Nothing now but the Tahltan have concerns and are not welcoming hunters at this point. I’d stay tuned.

x2

FYI - Tattoga Lake Lodge is closed. No parking either. Came through two days ago. Purchased by Red Chris for their crews.

cassiarkid
07-29-2020, 08:28 PM
We will see if the boys make it into the Cassiar’s, they leave tomorrow morning! Kinda knew something was going to happen.

Darksith
07-30-2020, 10:42 AM

When was the last time they welcomed hunters? Nough said

barry1974w
07-31-2020, 09:57 AM
They negotiated with the province, got easy access areas put on restrictions or LEH for everyone but them. They got what they wanted, now they want more.
If l block access to crown land, the cops will come and figure it out.
I’m very biased cause I’ve got an LEH bull in the Klappan, moose draws don’t come along that often......

Redemption
07-31-2020, 11:27 AM
They negotiated with the province, got easy access areas put on restrictions or LEH for everyone but them. They got what they wanted, now they want more.
If l block access to crown land, the cops will come and figure it out.
I’m very biased cause I’ve got an LEH bull in the Klappan, moose draws don’t come along that often......

I just read they are blocking Kalppan road. And the boat launch at Stikine. Good luck my friend.

swampthing
08-01-2020, 08:16 AM
x2

FYI - Tattoga Lake Lodge is closed. No parking either. Came through two days ago. Purchased by Red Chris for their crews.

I just emailed with John from the lodge. He said yes its closed to public this year but will re open to public may 2021

backcountry98
08-01-2020, 08:25 AM
I just read they are blocking Kalppan road. And the boat launch at Stikine. Good luck my friend.

where did you read this?

boxhitch
08-01-2020, 09:14 AM
interior-news.com/news/tahltan-nation-closing-hunting-and-recreational-activity-access-points/

boxhitch
08-01-2020, 09:21 AM
TAHLTAN NATION ANNOUNCE TRAVEL ADVISORY FOR TAHLTAN TERRITORYToday(July 30, 2020),
the Tahltan Nation announced that everyone, including hunters and wildlife enthusiasts, should avoid non essential
travel to Tahltan Territory until the Province safely enters Stage 4 of the COVID-19 response. The consequence of
spreading COVID-19 is too great given the limited access to acute medical care for residents along the remote Highway 37
corridor.
All non-essential travel to Dease Lake, Iskut and Telegraph Creek should be avoided, and all recreational activity
is strongly discouraged north ofBob Quinn, including hunting regions 6-19to 6-26.Hunting and recreational activity access
points, including the Stikine Bridge, will be blocked with gates, and monitored, including video surveillance. The Tahltan
Central Government’s Wildlife Department and our Guardians will be patrolling Tahltan Territory and asking all visitors to
follow appropriate procedures or leave if they choose to ignore this travel advisory. The RCMP is cooperating and the
Tahltan Nation is working with the Province to get additional RCMP and Conservation officer support.Dr. Bonnie Henry’s
has consistently stated that First Nation communities have a larger degree of risk and loss that could happen if the virus
was introduced and she has consistently stated that she would leave it up to First Nation communities to decide if it is
safe to travel to those comunites.
Among Dr. Bonnie Henry’s Travel Manners announced on July 7, she states: Before travelling,
check on whether there are travel advisories in place for transportation routes and recreational sites, and be sure the community
you want to visit is open to visitors.COVID-19 poses significant safety concerns in many Indigenous and rural communities.
Remote Indigenous communities across northern BC, such as Dease Lake, Iskut and Telegraph Creek in Tahltan Territory,
are particularly vulnerable to widespread COVID-19 outbreak due to their highly social culture, limited access to timely
testing, limited medical services, and access to and timely transport of patients needing critical care. Historically pandemics
have had a devastating toll on Indigenous peoples in BC and COVID-19 has heightened sensitivities in Tahltan Territory
and many Indigenous communities across BC
.For updates regarding travel to Tahltan communities please visit www.tahltan.org.

jac
08-01-2020, 10:17 AM
I was also told the boat launch is blocked

Avalanche123
08-01-2020, 01:29 PM
I just emailed with John from the lodge. He said yes its closed to public this year but will re open to public may 2021

Well that is good news...curious where the "Todagin hunters" are parking....I will find out soon as I head up that way again.

Sharpish
08-04-2020, 12:53 PM
Any updates? I’m flying out of dease in a couple weeks.

BCHunterTV
08-04-2020, 06:40 PM
stick to the hwy and youll be ok,

swampthing
08-04-2020, 06:43 PM
Any updates? I’m flying out of dease in a couple weeks.

604ksmith said he had a couple buddies fly out of dease a couple days ago. Nothing was mentioned about native issues

primitive
08-06-2020, 08:18 PM
Well that is good news...curious where the "Todagin hunters" are parking....I will find out soon as I head up that way again.

I talked to the gal at Alpine and I guess they've blocked access (parking) at the trailhead (no parking at the lodge). I have not seen this myself, just word from the float plane base there. Hoping to head up myself.

jac
08-07-2020, 09:05 AM
When I spoke with alpine air it was business as usual??

Legacy Solocam
08-07-2020, 09:18 AM
Hiked the todagin trail near tatogga on August 4th. Unfortunately not hunting just hiking. Parked at trail head. There was a newly installed gate just off the hwy. it wasn’t locked yet. Still room to park on hwy side of gate and it is only 150 meters past gate to trail head anyways.

lots of blowdown on trail up to alpine.

jac
08-07-2020, 10:16 AM
Was there lots of hunters on south slope?

albravo2
08-07-2020, 10:18 AM
Hiked the todagin trail near tatogga on August 4th. Unfortunately not hunting just hiking. Parked at trail head. There was a newly installed gate just off the hwy. it wasn’t locked yet. Still room to park on hwy side of gate and it is only 150 meters past gate to trail head anyways.

lots of blowdown on trail up to alpine.

Thanks for posting the update. Very helpful.

Brno22F
08-07-2020, 02:35 PM
Recieved this email today from Fish+Wildlife today

Hello,

You’re receiving this email because you were successful in your application for a Limited Entry Hunting authorization for one or more of the following:

Caribou: hunt codes 1001, 1002, 1003, 1004
Combination Moose/Caribou: hunt code 4226
Moose: hunt codes 4251, 4252, 4253
Goat: hunt codes 5134, 5135, 5136
Mountain Sheep: hunt Code 6030

The Klappan Rail Grade (also known as the Ealue Lake Road), 143 km in total, is the primary road access to Management Unit 6-20 and recent heavy rain events and a road failure has made the road impassable to all motor vehicles (including ATVs) beyond the 28 km mark. Access into the area is still available by water or air. Please take this information in to consideration while planning a hunt in this area. See below for a map of the impacted area.

LEH authorizations for these areas are still valid and the hunting seasons remain open and unchanged. LEH authorizations are not transferable and can not be deferred to other times.

Hunters are reminded to be aware of COVID 19 precautions and restrictions. Please visithttps://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/sports-culture/recreation/fishing-hunting/fishing-and-hunting-covid-19-updates for more information.

Please contact fishandwildlife@gov.bc.ca if you have any questions.

Thank you,

Wildlife and Habitat Branch
Ministry of Forests, Lands, Natural Resource Operations and Rural Development

http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/image001.png@01D66CB5.66191AD0

Legacy Solocam
08-07-2020, 02:55 PM
Was there lots of hunters on south slope?
Saw two other hikers above tree line but behind us and they were back down the mountain before we came down. No other vehicles at the trail head.

Meat Reaper
08-09-2020, 01:35 AM
Very interesting email, thanks for sharing. Got a moose LEH for the Stikine this year but with the Tahltan blockading the boat launch it's not looking possible. The email from FLNRORD indicates otherwise though "Access into the area is still available by water or air" and "LEH authorizations for these areas are still valid and the hunting seasons remain open and unchanged". The recent announcement by the Tahltan would indicate otherwise! Been told the Tahltan have a legal right to protest and a court injunction is required to remove blockades. It is unlikely hunters will be seeking court injunctions so its looking like Tahltan will be successful in shutting down the Stikine LEH hunt this year if they're able to close the boat launch. Regs are pretty clear on this one, pg 15 S.38 "It is unlawful to interfere with or obstruct a person licensed or permitted to hunt, guide or trap while that person is lawfully so engaged". Seems like this is exactly what's happening with the blockades. I'd argue that the right to protest in this case is in contravention of the Wildlife Act. The president of the Tahltan Nation, Chad Day has stated the RCMP and CO Service will be present to "minimize conflict". My hope is that they will do this by ensuring LEH hunters are not prevented from exercising their legally authorized hunts and ensuring the boat launch remains accessible.

Sharpish
08-10-2020, 09:38 AM
Can't you launch somewhere else?

tyreguy
09-25-2020, 05:37 PM
So what's happening - are hunters being turned around?

Arctic Lake
09-25-2020, 07:43 PM
Also has hunting and fishing nor been declared an essential ?
Arctic Lake

Very interesting email, thanks for sharing. Got a moose LEH for the Stikine this year but with the Tahltan blockading the boat launch it's not looking possible. The email from FLNRORD indicates otherwise though "Access into the area is still available by water or air" and "LEH authorizations for these areas are still valid and the hunting seasons remain open and unchanged". The recent announcement by the Tahltan would indicate otherwise! Been told the Tahltan have a legal right to protest and a court injunction is required to remove blockades. It is unlikely hunters will be seeking court injunctions so its looking like Tahltan will be successful in shutting down the Stikine LEH hunt this year if they're able to close the boat launch. Regs are pretty clear on this one, pg 15 S.38 "It is unlawful to interfere with or obstruct a person licensed or permitted to hunt, guide or trap while that person is lawfully so engaged". Seems like this is exactly what's happening with the blockades. I'd argue that the right to protest in this case is in contravention of the Wildlife Act. The president of the Tahltan Nation, Chad Day has stated the RCMP and CO Service will be present to "minimize conflict". My hope is that they will do this by ensuring LEH hunters are not prevented from exercising their legally authorized hunts and ensuring the boat launch remains accessible.

Stone Sheep Steve
09-25-2020, 09:16 PM
BCWF member update...

Highway 37 Update - Access to Ealue Lake Road Restored

In 2016, BCWF gained an Interlocutory Injunction with Enforcement Order that prohibited any activity to prevent, restrict, impede or interfere with any person or vehicle in accessing or traveling on Ealue Lake Road.
It has been confirmed that this injunction and enforcement order, S-169073 at Ealue Lake Road (http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/x-apple-data-detectors://0)(which leads to the Klappan), is still valid. If British Columbians would like to access the road they should contact the RCMP in Dease Lake ahead of time to notify them when you will be arriving at the Ealue Lake road and to accompany you in case anyone is at the gate. The contact number is (250) 771-4111 (tel:(250)%20771-4111).
There may be a lock on the gate; if there is a lock, removal will be up to you. The lock could be removed with a bolt cutter or grinder. Do not do more damage than necessary to gain access. The RCMP has agreed to supervise British Columbians opening the gate.
Additionally, it is possible there may be other obstructions on the road.
If you encounter any persons looking for a confrontation do not engage. Contact the Dease Lake RCMP immediately.
Please note this only applies to the Ealue Lake Road. Please print off and carry a copy of the injunction order with you. To access the injunction order, please click here (https://eml-pcan01.app.blackbaud.net/intv2/j/055A90B9-B789-445B-BEAE-680EB637ADCB/r/055A90B9-B789-445B-BEAE-680EB637ADCB_d70468fe-f9e1-4198-856c-3a05f7cc440e/l/9A25F8E6-E394-4622-B081-C5B00A957BAD/c).
The safety of all British Columbians is of great importance to BCWF. Please review our access guidelines below and plan your trip accordingly.
As it relates to possible information checkpoints:

[*=left]First Nations authority extends to communities. Several communities are closed to people from outside the community. Please avoid all remote communities, unless you are a local.
[*=left]First Nations, or Indian Reserves, are considered private property and as such, cannot be entered without permission.
[*=left]Respect all checkpoints and COVID-19 safety protocols. The RCMP or Conservation Officer Service will be at some checkpoints to monitor the situation.

As it relates to possible blockades:

[*=left]Blockades barring access outside of First Nations communities, title lands, and Indian Reserves are not legal.
[*=left]Stay calm and do not be aggressive.
[*=left]If approached at a blockade or gate, maintain a physical distance of two metres and consider wearing a mask that covers your nose and mouth.
[*=left]Note: The easiest way to document and report a blockade is by using the BCWF Conservation App. Take a photo or video using your app, select the “Block Access” icon. Add additional option informant in the spaces provided. Your report will go directly to the Conservation Officer Service as soon as you are in service.

If you are safely able to do so:

[*=left]Photograph and video the location. Any vehicle, structure, or gate that is blocking the road should be photographed.
[*=left]Record or write down any licence plate numbers or distinguishing features of vehicles.
[*=left]If the protesters are open to a conversation with you, ask, “Are you preventing me from using the road? I want to understand why you are preventing me from using the road? Do you represent an organization? Can you share your name and where you are from?” Photograph or video this interaction, if it can be done safely.
[*=left]Take notes of the interaction directly after it is over. Note the location, the individuals (with numbers, descriptions or identities, if known, license plates, etc.), and the content of any conversations. Also, note any impacts of being prevented from accessing the area and the number of people affected by the blockades.
[*=left]On a map, mark the location of the blockade and the location of the activities prevented from being undertaken.
[*=left]Contact the B.C. Wildlife Federation Office @ 1-888-881-2293 (tel:1-888-881-2293) and let us know what is happening.
File a complaint with the local RCMP and Conservation Officer Service. Blockades must be reported to the RCMP and COS to ensure there is a formal record of the complaint.
[*=left]Provide copies of documents that describe how your legal rights are being interfered with such as permits, grants, licenses, contracts, including copies of documents.

Privacy Policy (https://eml-pcan01.app.blackbaud.net/intv2/j/055A90B9-B789-445B-BEAE-680EB637ADCB/r/055A90B9-B789-445B-BEAE-680EB637ADCB_d70468fe-f9e1-4198-856c-3a05f7cc440e/l/40DE98A5-6186-4331-B16C-436B00309E02/c)
|
Unsubscribe (https://eml-pcan01.app.blackbaud.net/intv2/j/055A90B9-B789-445B-BEAE-680EB637ADCB/r/055A90B9-B789-445B-BEAE-680EB637ADCB_d70468fe-f9e1-4198-856c-3a05f7cc440e/oo)

BC Wildlife Federation (https://eml-pcan01.app.blackbaud.net/intv2/j/055A90B9-B789-445B-BEAE-680EB637ADCB/r/055A90B9-B789-445B-BEAE-680EB637ADCB_d70468fe-f9e1-4198-856c-3a05f7cc440e/l/AB4E054C-1925-4C65-903D-B75B79AD5F64/c)

communications@bcwf.bc.ca

https://eml-pcan01.app.blackbaud.net/intv2/j/055A90B9-B789-445B-BEAE-680EB637ADCB/r/055A90B9-B789-445B-BEAE-680EB637ADCB_d70468fe-f9e1-4198-856c-3a05f7cc440e/o