PDA

View Full Version : LEH Bison 7-42D

Dustee
07-10-2020, 10:34 AM
I know there are a few bison posts going around, but I didn't want to hijack anyone else's posts with my questions. Since my wife, myself and a close friend managed to get drawn for the Zone D bison hunt for the end of October, I've spent oodles of time trying to look at as many maps, and read all of the information I can! All of the information I've read so far from previous posts as far back as I can find, everyone suggests going to Sikanni Outfitters or talking to Vern. The word so far is that the Blueberry ranch will be staying closed until further notice (info from Vern as of 7/10/2020). I haven't been able to get in touch with anyone from Sikanni as of yet unfortunately. Since the zones are now completely different than they used to be, It looks like getting information from both previous zones would be best. I am have read about getting around the Blueberry Ranch in years past, but I'm not sure if that's still a thing. Does anyone have updated information about this? Is there anyone who would be willing to drop a few PM's even, or perhaps have a medium length phone call so I can get the best experience possible? Thanks in advance!

CJ

barry1974w
07-11-2020, 11:42 AM
You should still be able to get around the ranch with ATV’s if you want to. But I’m not really familiar with the new boundaries. Although it looks like the halfway is the southern boundary for a fair ways. I’ve never hunted the sikanni valley.

Mudsey
07-11-2020, 12:04 PM
I hunted the Sikanni valley last year and our group was successful. We camped at the airstrip. PM me with any specific questions and i'll be glad to help.

AshleyM
07-11-2020, 12:53 PM
Hello. We have a draw for zone C nov 1st. I called mcElhanney land surveyors in Fort St. John and order a map of the area. It’s was very helpful. Was 66$ but its 3’x4’ and defines the new boundaries well. Has helped me with planning. I would or will post a pic of the map if you would like also but I actually don’t know how to do that yet lol. This is only my 3rd day on this site n haven’t put much time into figuring it out yet. Would need to on Monday though if it is possible because I’m currently 10hrs from home scouting my moose grounds for this year ��. Let me know if you would like me to try figure it out. Or I guess i could email pics of it too.

Dustee
07-12-2020, 11:04 AM
Mudsey, I hope you expect a couple of PM's from me once I can narrow down some questions! I have so many but I want to make sure that I don't waste anyone's time with pointless thoughts. I appreciate it!

Ashley, I would love a picture of the map when you have time, I'll also give McElhanney a call again and see if I can snag one of those maps. I'll also do my best to keep in contact when we are up there with weather updates as well as Bison locations if possible. Have you settled on Sikanni and the airstrip for camping so far?(I've been following your thread as well).

Hopefully there is some more information before we end up going. There is a lot from previous years, but there wasn't a lot of info from last year that I can find. Thanks to all the people who have PM'd me with info!

Dustee
07-12-2020, 11:07 AM
I forgot to ask if anyone knows if Helge Tomter still has a ranch with a cabin to stay at. I keep finding references to his place, but didn't want to give him a call without confirmation first.

Thunderstix
07-12-2020, 03:55 PM
i have never heard of him and there is no other ranch in there except Sikanni Outfitters

I forgot to ask if anyone knows if Helge Tomter still has a ranch with a cabin to stay at. I keep finding references to his place, but didn't want to give him a call without confirmation first.

Dustee
07-12-2020, 04:09 PM
I guess I should have added some of the information I have found in regards to Helge. From the sparse info I can find, it seems he has a ranch on 156, or 147 before you get to Blueberry Mountain Ranch. Info is hard to consolidate since the new zones are completely different than the old ones. From what I understand, it used to be that if you had zone B, you hunted from the old airfield or Sikanni Outfitters Ranch. If you had zone A, you paid Blueberry Mountain to have access to the Halfway Valley. There is a quad trail around Blueberry that can be sketchy at times, and adds some time to the trip to the back of the Valley. The interesting part with zone D, is it covers both of these places, and while a lot of information from previous endeavors is useful, it doesn't give a complete picture.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?90965-bison-zone-A&p=1271601#post1271601
The link to the post above was the first reference I found to Helge, and he is mentioned a few times in that thread. I did find a few more with his name and number so was hoping someone had some more recent information.

AshleyM
07-12-2020, 10:15 PM
Mudsey, I hope you expect a couple of PM's from me once I can narrow down some questions! I have so many but I want to make sure that I don't waste anyone's time with pointless thoughts. I appreciate it!

Ashley, I would love a picture of the map when you have time, I'll also give McElhanney a call again and see if I can snag one of those maps. I'll also do my best to keep in contact when we are up there with weather updates as well as Bison locations if possible. Have you settled on Sikanni and the airstrip for camping so far?(I've been following your thread as well).

Hopefully there is some more information before we end up going. There is a lot from previous years, but there wasn't a lot of info from last year that I can find. Thanks to all the people who have PM'd me with info!

awesome. Maybe you can PM me your email and I can send it to you once I figure it out. Regarding letting me know how your hunt goes as well as weather conditions etc that would be GREATLY appreciated! I really hope there is snow! Lol. We’re not 100% if we are going to be camped at the airstrip or if we will set up a second camp in C yet. We will have base camp at the airstrip for sure I guess but may not be around much. We’re going to go scout the area either in August (if we get our moose early and have all the time in the world to screw around lol fingers crossed!) or in September sometime. I would like to take the quad through to the end of the allowed road just to see what we’re up against then we can decide where we’ll camp. I can’t wait! Even if we come out empty handed (which ofcourse I Hope doesn’t happen) it’s going to be an amazing hunt! According to the CO I spoke with 25-30% of the boson tags are filled...so hopefully our groups are part of those statistics!

Dustee
07-15-2020, 09:23 PM
Does anyone have any information on current herds on halfway vs sikanni? Since both are available in C and D it could be useful information.

PGFullMonty
08-08-2020, 10:21 AM
Helge is on the 147 road just before the Pink Mountain Ranch gate. I have been trying to contact him with a number I got from him last time I was up there (3 years ago) but no luck contacting him yet. If the Blueberry Band is not going to be renting cabins this year, hopefully they will still let you cross the property (for a fee of course) to gain access to the trail. It is very tough passing through the trail now that goes around the ranch due to recent rock slides. We have been successful several times in the Halfway valley but we are looking at the Sikanni area this year for something different.

I guess I should have added some of the information I have found in regards to Helge. From the sparse info I can find, it seems he has a ranch on 156, or 147 before you get to Blueberry Mountain Ranch. Info is hard to consolidate since the new zones are completely different than the old ones. From what I understand, it used to be that if you had zone B, you hunted from the old airfield or Sikanni Outfitters Ranch. If you had zone A, you paid Blueberry Mountain to have access to the Halfway Valley. There is a quad trail around Blueberry that can be sketchy at times, and adds some time to the trip to the back of the Valley. The interesting part with zone D, is it covers both of these places, and while a lot of information from previous endeavors is useful, it doesn't give a complete picture.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?90965-bison-zone-A&p=1271601#post1271601
The link to the post above was the first reference I found to Helge, and he is mentioned a few times in that thread. I did find a few more with his name and number so was hoping someone had some more recent information.

Rampager
08-08-2020, 09:20 PM

Can't comment on Helge's contact info but when we stayed at the Blueberry Ranch in 2016 Vern and Helge came by the cabin one evening for a beer and a bullshit - I don't think I've ever laughed so much in my life! What a pair those two are!

Svang
08-11-2020, 07:41 PM
Myself and 3 friends got the same draw, end of Oct for Zone D. We're currently thinking of bringing a wall tent or campers to stay at the air strip or trying to rent a cabin. Have you had any success finding a cabin yet?

MB73
08-12-2020, 11:24 PM
Cabins at Sikanni river outfitters are $150 each hunter per night inc meals. Ill be camping myself.

Dustee
10-06-2020, 05:57 PM
Well it's not even 2 weeks away! The excitement is starting to creep in. This is going to be an awesome trip. I'm hoping someone has some up to date info on what's going on around Pink Mountain.

Agent Orange
10-08-2020, 09:34 AM
Well it's not even 2 weeks away! The excitement is starting to creep in. This is going to be an awesome trip. I'm hoping someone has some up to date info on what's going on around Pink Mountain.

I spent two weeks in the halfway river valley just past the ranch, got back last weekend. We didn't see a single Bison, fresh tracks or even a pile of shit that wasn't at least two years old. I've hunted this area for the past 7 years and every year we see less and less. Last year I only saw one, this year none. Also the road around the ranch is ALMOST impassible. Probably not the news you're looking for, but don't waste your money on the trespass fee if you don't have to, there isn't jack shit for Bison past the ranch. Best of luck.

Dustee
10-10-2020, 06:11 PM
I spent two weeks in the halfway river valley just past the ranch, got back last weekend. We didn't see a single Bison, fresh tracks or even a pile of shit that wasn't at least two years old. I've hunted this area for the past 7 years and every year we see less and less. Last year I only saw one, this year none. Also the road around the ranch is ALMOST impassible. Probably not the news you're looking for, but don't waste your money on the trespass fee if you don't have to, there isn't jack shit for Bison past the ranch. Best of luck.

I appreciate the update! Thank you so much! I'll probably avoid the halfway river it looks like.

RustyBrit
10-13-2020, 08:28 PM
We just got back from 10 days on the Sikanni. We dragged camp an hour in behind the ATV and stayed at the memorial site. Saw one bison as a running blur in the timber at 25 yards and that was it. Some fresh sign early on in the timber but by the end of the tour no fresh stuff. Beautiful place and a great trip though. Saw Elk, Muleys, whiteys. Heard through the Sikanni telegraph that only 3 bison died during our time and all three were in zone C way deep in. Two by horseback and one by what appears to be sheer luck and 6km of humping it out over the next few days. Fort St. Trimble Creek needed it’s own postal code and sewer system there were so many camps and people but it sounds like everyone had fun and got along.
The airstrip crowd all bailed after the first week. By the time we got back to the truck there was two camps left I think.
Bring a positive attitude and an elk bugle for fun and enjoy the area. The ridges and mountains have spectacular views and who knows maybe the bison will wander back in any day.

Oh and for ***k sakes read the regulations on ATV use. So many morons driving their bikes up and down the side trails that they are not allowed on.

REMINGTON JIM
10-13-2020, 08:48 PM
Good Info ! Sorry you did not Connect on a Bison BUT sounds like you still Enjoyed the Trip ! :smile: RJ

I GUESS there's no CO's Patrolling the " Out Back " EH ! :frown:

Dustee
10-14-2020, 08:51 AM
Thanks for the update! I'm excited just for the experience. If we manage to tag a bison, then even better but what beautiful country!!

Markavery
10-15-2020, 12:15 PM
Good luck
we just came back from 42C, 12 days in the Bush with no success, one animal was taken from there on day two of the opening by two hunters that had done their homework in August.i didn’t see or hear of any hunters in 7-42D getting an animal. Several elk were spotted, cows and one 5x5 in 42D, no moose. Some hunters just drove the trail, others went high, went low. Got wet and got cold to no avail.
on the bright side I did meet several quality individuals over the two weeks.
i hope the Bison move up or in or anywhere where you can take one, again good luck and be safe

Dustee
10-15-2020, 12:30 PM
Good luck
we just came back from 42C, 12 days in the Bush with no success, one animal was taken from there on day two of the opening by two hunters that had done their homework in August.i didn’t see or hear of any hunters in 7-42D getting an animal. Several elk were spotted, cows and one 5x5 in 42D, no moose. Some hunters just drove the trail, others went high, went low. Got wet and got cold to no avail.
on the bright side I did meet several quality individuals over the two weeks.
i hope the Bison move up or in or anywhere where you can take one, again good luck and be safe

Thanks for taking the time to update! I'm hoping that enough people give updates so the hunters heading up this week and over the next few months have some kind of success! I'm also hoping that the cold that is finally showing up brings the bison down into the valley a bit more. Fingers crossed.

Thunderstix
10-18-2020, 07:36 PM
I just spent 14 days in 742D and can attest that aside from one with Sikanni Outfitters across the river near one of their blinds, and one up past Trimble, no bison were taken and very few even seen. Need some snow to get them moving!!

tyyota
10-28-2020, 12:36 PM
Has anybody learned of ANY bison taken out of 7-42D? We did our damndest with 8 days inside the zone but nothing but photos to bring home.

Dour
10-28-2020, 08:33 PM
You did your part. You brought money up there. Government loves you.

Jedivan
10-29-2020, 07:58 AM
There was a group camped at Duhu Lake that pulled one out of D first week of October. They are in there somewhere but the weather kept them hiding deep. We struggled to see any game. Nothing moving in that area.