PDA

View Full Version : 2020 bison hunt

AshleyM
07-08-2020, 10:24 PM
Hello everyone! This is my first time posting with you all.. well posting anywhere ever really. But to the point! We got a bison draw this year in the new 7-42 C zone. First of all, YAY! I’m so excited!!!! Secondly, man they made the access a pain! So my main question is how long is it by atv and/or sled (weather dependant ofcourse) from the airstrip to the border of zone C? Not looking at my map at the moment but I believe the road is grassy chicken or something... the one that goes to the sikanni outfitters. Also our draw is nov 1-15.. what are the chances of snow at that time? I’m from the fraser valley so do not have much insight except for what I read/hear. Any help with these questions would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks! 😊

Reese
07-09-2020, 10:34 AM
I was there oct 15 last year .... we had alot of snow one morning. Bring both sleds and atv. We pulled our trucks right up to the air strip and camped there. Highly recommend bringing tire chains for your truck. As for distances in .... i do not know because they split up that zone this year. Hope this helps and good luck

AshleyM
07-09-2020, 12:12 PM
Ok. Ya I’ve been reading that it’s kind of a crap shoot weather wise at that time. I already went out and bought a couple sleds and a sled deck and will have the quads on the toy hauler so I will be bringing both. As for the drive in I’ve read that hill before the air strip can be sketchy so I will get chains for sure. Do you think it will be a problem with a 29’ toy hauler behind me? I have a 2010 dodge Ram 3500 mega cab. Do people ever chain up the trailer as well?
thanks so much for the info!

Thunderstix
07-10-2020, 05:59 AM
Chains on the truck will be just fine.....As to how far it is in, I don’t have my map at the moment, but I think it is about 35kms to Trimble Creek, which is a couple hour ride for sure from the airstrip gate. And then it is either by foot, horse, or snowmobile, as no quads past there allowed....access is indeed lousy. Hopefully there is snow for you, however the first 13kms of the Sikanni Trail, before it splits to Trimble Trail, will probably be plowed, and not sure how friendly for snowmobiles.

AshleyM
07-10-2020, 07:02 AM
Ok thank you. I keep reading horror stories about how slick that hill gets. I have never seen anyone chain up their trailer but figured it could be done if needed. Lol.
Looking at the map and talking to the areas CO that’s kinda of what I gathered. Starting to think I’ll be packing a wall tent in and setting up in C. That’s a long haul every morning and night. as for the sleds I’m not to concerned if I scratch em up a bit. I specifically bought them for this trip. As long as they keep goin For 2 weeks I’m happy!
Anyone have any input as to why they have broken up the zones this way? Why did they decide to divide it differently now?
It’s like they’re trying to make it harder to get in yet they opened a GOS around the leh zone for bison.... I guess that was to keep them contained in their area though...

AshleyM
07-10-2020, 07:11 AM
That being said does anyone have any thoughts on how the GOS will affect the leh zone? Also what kind of success rates there will be in the GOS area? I asked the CO and also contacted the people who study the hunting areas and propose the changes and they are expecting a low success rate for the new area. I’m just wondering if that season is going to put the bison on higher alert to hunters or if they’re rarely out in those areas.

Thunderstix
07-10-2020, 07:49 AM
I will answer more later, but you can set a wall tent up basically at Trimble Creek, some well established sites nearby and lots of beetle kill pine for ye stove

Redthies
07-10-2020, 10:01 AM
The GOS is great for those that have a bison on their “to do” list, but I can’t think why we would not want them to expand their range? It’s not like they are invasive...

ajeatoo
07-10-2020, 10:02 AM
Ok thank you. I keep reading horror stories about how slick that hill gets. I have never seen anyone chain up their trailer but figured it could be done if needed. Lol.

Hubby got a bison draw several years ago up 7-42, they were successful after a week of hunting but they barely made it up that road on their way out. They had a F350 truck with camper towing a utility trailer, chained up the truck but it was touch and go for a bit. It gets slick that's for sure.

AshleyM
07-10-2020, 04:45 PM
Thanks for all the replies! ��
ya I’m thinking wall tent might be the way to go.
Well I guess I’ll just be as prepared as possible Goin in there n hope we don’t end up stuck lol
as for why they want to keep the bison from roaming I’m not 100% but I think it was because they were encroaching on the goats habitat or something. Ya know.... like how they think killing the moose is going to help bring down the wolf populations, so then they don’t eat as many Cariboo ��.

landphil
07-10-2020, 07:28 PM
Was camped at the airstrip from Oct 15 to Nov 1 last year myself. I think it was the 3rd day there we woke up to a solid foot of snow. Chains for the truck and quad are a must to bring, make sure you have 4 chains for the truck if it gets warm / slick and you want a hope of getting back out to the highway with a toyhauler. There was a performance on the big hill while we were there involving a pickup, gooseneck horse trailer, and another pickup that didn’t go well for everyone involved.

Grizz are plentiful in the area. Expect to be actively hunted by them, especially with an animal down. If there’s snow on the ground you’ll see what I mean. One followed my boot and quad tracks over 14 km one night.

We saw lows of -16C in late Oct, so don’t expect LML weather. Most days saw melting temps, especially when sunny, but once that sun drops.... High, gusting winds are a reality at times at the airstrip too, make sure to tuck your camp off to the side and tie any tents down WELL!

Trimble Ck to the airstrip is about 35Km as said, at least according to my odometer with oversized tires. 2 hours at a reasonable pace is accurate, but I won’t say it can’t be done in an hour and ten if an animal is down, night is falling, and you’re going for the rest of the group and a quad trailer. An hour and 45 with a heavily loaded trailer. That’s pushing hard, to say the least.

It’s pretty awesome, wild country once you put the boots to work and venture off the beaten trail and all the other draw winners, and thanks to bison being a mainly herd animal, any success in accessible areas is usually followed by heavy “gutpile hunting” from other hunters.

Enjoy, be safe, and go prepared for anything. Having done the late Oct. hunt twice now, my #1 advice is to over-prepare on how to stay /get warm. Heated grips and a full windshield. Heavy bib overalls with legs zips for when you’re on the quad. Good mitts. A nice stack of dry firewood for the stove if tenting. A propane torch to carefully pre-warm the quad engines if needed, they can be grumpy to start below -15. Even a small generator and battery charger is a good thing to have along too.

2chodi
07-10-2020, 08:24 PM
You can't use a snow machine off of the designated routes in the M-K, snow or no snow, until Nov 1. So, you can't go past Trimble Creek with a snow machine until Nov 1.

The warnings about heavy loads should be heeded — the hills are fairly steep and long and can get nasty.

JoeSixPack
07-11-2020, 08:06 AM
The GOS is great for those that have a bison on their “to do” list, but I can’t think why we would not want them to expand their range? It’s not like they are invasive...

Plains bison in the sikanni and halfway drainages are invasive. They escaped from a rancher in the late 80's or so. They absolutely reek havoc on the environment from the valley floor, to the top of the mountain. They also out compete sheep and elk on the winter ranges. The wood bison around the liard are native however.

Jrax
07-11-2020, 08:13 AM
Thanks for all the replies! 😊
ya I’m thinking wall tent might be the way to go.
Well I guess I’ll just be as prepared as possible Goin in there n hope we don’t end up stuck lol
as for why they want to keep the bison from roaming I’m not 100% but I think it was because they were encroaching on the goats habitat or something. Ya know.... like how they think killing the moose is going to help bring down the wolf populations, so then they don’t eat as many Cariboo 🙄.

Many years ago my hunting partner and i found a beautiful hunting spot between two ridges in the sikanni area. Green grass everywhere, fresh creek, elk moving through most days and hiking up high we didnt notice any buffalo sign. Now going there 2 years ago, the grass was eaten all down to the dirt and no elk sign. Hiking up there was even buffalo wallows on the highest ridges where you expect sheep and goats. The impact visually is very noticeable but it sounds like they can also be aggressive and push everything else out.

Walking Buffalo
07-11-2020, 09:27 AM
Is there a difference in how invasive plain and native wood bison behave and the havoc they reek?

I still hear many biologists disagree that they are different species, just different "races" (phenotypes).

AshleyM
07-11-2020, 12:44 PM
So much great info! Thanks! Out of all of that the grizzly bear is sticking out the most in my mind lol. I kind of assumed they would be mostly hibernating by November 1st.,.. is this not the case? Would a 300 win mag be enough to drop a grizzly if it were coming for us? Also what are people’s thoughts on bringing my dog? I typically bring her and she stays at camp while we are out hunting... will she attract grizzlies if we’re out? I just always feel safer at night with her as an alarm. She is a 120lb Fula mastiff but ofcourse no match for a bear just a good warning. I also don’t want to come back to a torn up camp and no dog though.
Good call on brining battery packs too! Never even considered the cold affecting my machines!

landphil
07-11-2020, 01:44 PM
Up until Oct 31st, the grizz were very active last year, despite the weather I described. I couldn’t say for how much longer exactly, as we packed up Nov. 1st.

I would consider a 12v electric fence around camp over the dog. But if you camp at the airstrip you won’t be there alone. Set up 1/2 way down and use everyone else as your early warning systems. :lol:

Anything that you’re going to hunt a bison with is plenty good enough to save your hide if the need arose. Don’t be scared, just very alert and aware. Keep camp squeaky clean. Give any gutpiles a wide berth.

AshleyM
07-12-2020, 10:23 PM
Oh ya an electric fence isn’t a bad idea. Had never considered that. Thanks! I wouldn’t be concerned at the airstrip because I would be in the toy hauler and ya lots of early warning from others lol it’s just being out in the wall tent. Any other tips for grizzly deterrents? Incase you can’t tell I really don’t wanna be munched by a bear lol. Their presence is never going to stop me but it sure makes me uneasy so any ideas to keep them away are appreciated.

does anyone know if they are used to the hunt in the area kinda thing and start heading down if they hear a shot? I have been told stories from other areas where many hunters get pushed off their kills by grizzly because they know a gunshot means dinner for them.

Thunderstix
07-13-2020, 06:35 AM
They are definitely around, but don’t hear muni about pushing hunters off their kill, not like the lore of the Dease Lake area. There were a couple incidents last year when we were there as a sow with 2 large cubs charged a group of hunters...one less cub in the end. There was also a grizz feeding on a horse in the side of the road, but it was mostly at night....I monitored its daily progess :wink: Also a warning shot was fired by another couple guys.....just be aware of what you are walking up on and into.

Tuffcity
07-13-2020, 09:03 AM
Up until Oct 31st, the grizz were very active last year, despite the weather I described. I couldn’t say for how much longer exactly, as we packed up Nov. 1st.

I kind of assumed they would be mostly hibernating by November 1st.,..

Just my $0.02 on grizzly activity late in the year. This pic is from where I'm trapping west of Whitehorse. Taken in mid November and this bear was still ripping up my cubbies but he must have learned that 330's sting as he started taking them apart from the back. This guy was active until almost Christmas.

https://i.imgur.com/U7vReKc.jpg?1

RC

MB73
07-14-2020, 02:08 PM
I keep an extra 5 clip on hand for safety and keep it filled with 180 grain hornady superformance mushrooming ammo. I have heard stories of grizz charging towards warning shots.

AshleyM
07-15-2020, 08:40 AM
Ok so I’ll watch out for grizzlies! Lol. Thanks for all the information. Does anyone else have the draw in 7-42 c in November? Thanks

barongan
07-15-2020, 09:54 AM
Very nice..https://alreskha.xyz/assets/18/o.png

Jimbob
07-15-2020, 10:28 AM
I keep an extra 5 clip on hand for safety and keep it filled with 180 grain hornady superformance mushrooming ammo. I have heard stories of grizz charging towards warning shots.

Wouldn't this be the wrong kind of ammo for griz? especially close up. Those Hornady's are known to come apart, i think you want a stronger bullet.

todbartell
07-15-2020, 10:40 AM
maybe he is talking about the monometal GMX Mushrooming ammo

Jimbob
07-16-2020, 04:56 PM
maybe he is talking about the monometal GMX Mushrooming ammo

Ya that would makes sense, for some reason I read super performance and thought SST.

dewert
07-21-2020, 10:24 PM
Was camped at the airstrip from Oct 15 to Nov 1 last year myself. I think it was the 3rd day there we woke up to a solid foot of snow. Chains for the truck and quad are a must to bring, make sure you have 4 chains for the truck if it gets warm / slick and you want a hope of getting back out to the highway with a toyhauler. There was a performance on the big hill while we were there involving a pickup, gooseneck horse trailer, and another pickup that didn’t go well for everyone involved.

Grizz are plentiful in the area. Expect to be actively hunted by them, especially with an animal down. If there’s snow on the ground you’ll see what I mean. One followed my boot and quad tracks over 14 km one night.

We saw lows of -16C in late Oct, so don’t expect LML weather. Most days saw melting temps, especially when sunny, but once that sun drops.... High, gusting winds are a reality at times at the airstrip too, make sure to tuck your camp off to the side and tie any tents down WELL!

Trimble Ck to the airstrip is about 35Km as said, at least according to my odometer with oversized tires. 2 hours at a reasonable pace is accurate, but I won’t say it can’t be done in an hour and ten if an animal is down, night is falling, and you’re going for the rest of the group and a quad trailer. An hour and 45 with a heavily loaded trailer. That’s pushing hard, to say the least.

It’s pretty awesome, wild country once you put the boots to work and venture off the beaten trail and all the other draw winners, and thanks to bison being a mainly herd animal, any success in accessible areas is usually followed by heavy “gutpile hunting” from other hunters.

Enjoy, be safe, and go prepared for anything. Having done the late Oct. hunt twice now, my #1 advice is to over-prepare on how to stay /get warm. Heated grips and a full windshield. Heavy bib overalls with legs zips for when you’re on the quad. Good mitts. A nice stack of dry firewood for the stove if tenting. A propane torch to carefully pre-warm the quad engines if needed, they can be grumpy to start below -15. Even a small generator and battery charger is a good thing to have along too.

Great info. Im doing the same hunt but late October and I'm having trouble because of snowmobiles not being aloud until November 1st. I noticed you mentioned sleds and ATV's and I thought the trail out of the airstrip ended far before getting into Zone C. I saw Redfern Trail takes you way further in but still a good 10km hike from the trail past Trimble Lake and Provincial Park boundary to get into Zone C. Can you confirm if there is any other access to C via ATV?

Dustee
07-26-2020, 08:49 PM
Great info. Im doing the same hunt but late October and I'm having trouble because of snowmobiles not being aloud until November 1st. I noticed you mentioned sleds and ATV's and I thought the trail out of the airstrip ended far before getting into Zone C. I saw Redfern Trail takes you way further in but still a good 10km hike from the trail past Trimble Lake and Provincial Park boundary to get into Zone C. Can you confirm if there is any other access to C via ATV?

I ended up getting a map with the detailed trails sent to me, and it looks like if you're going through Sikanni, the trail ends about 500M into zone C. On the Halfway side of things, the trail ends about 2km from zone C. In theory, from the things I've read, you can get into zone C on Sikanni and be into the Bison. I'm up there in Zone D for the same timeframe. I'm more than happy to share any info I have on animals I find in Zone C if I'm in a different part than you are.

ajeatoo
07-27-2020, 12:13 PM
I ended up getting a map with the detailed trails sent to me, and it looks like if you're going through Sikanni, the trail ends about 500M into zone C. On the Halfway side of things, the trail ends about 2km from zone C. In theory, from the things I've read, you can get into zone C on Sikanni and be into the Bison. I'm up there in Zone D for the same timeframe. I'm more than happy to share any info I have on animals I find in Zone C if I'm in a different part than you are.

What map did you get out of curiosity?

Dustee
07-27-2020, 05:45 PM
What map did you get out of curiosity?

I got the map from McElhanney. They are good maps, and the gentleman who you end up talking to named Steve is a wealth of information on the area.

dewert
08-04-2020, 06:43 PM

That would be awesome. Just messaged you.

PGFullMonty
08-08-2020, 10:06 AM
I got the map from McElhanney. They are good maps, and the gentleman who you end up talking to named Steve is a wealth of information on the area.
Which office did you get the maps from Dustee?
I know the Pink Mountain/Blueberry Ranch LEH area like the back of my hand because we have been there 4 times now but with the Zone Change this year, We want to try the Northern area of Zone D for something new. I have not ventured in the northern region so doing my homework and going to go up and snoop around for 4 days at the end of the month. Trying to located the best maps possible!
Thanks

Rampager
08-08-2020, 09:23 PM
Which office did you get the maps from Dustee?
I know the Pink Mountain/Blueberry Ranch LEH area like the back of my hand because we have been there 4 times now but with the Zone Change this year, We want to try the Northern area of Zone D for something new. I have not ventured in the northern region so doing my homework and going to go up and snoop around for 4 days at the end of the month. Trying to located the best maps possible!
Thanks

We got ours from McElhanney Fort St. John office in 2016, I think it was 50ish dollars shipped. It's a fantastic map and I would recommend it to anyone.

PGFullMonty
08-09-2020, 08:03 AM
Thanks... I'll check it out here and see what I can come up with!!

PGFullMonty
08-09-2020, 08:06 AM
Oh, and I talked to vern who runs the pink mountain ranch yesterday. He got the go ahead from the chief to rent the cabins out if anyone is interested in hunting the halfway Valley. He said they are not renting the cabins out yet but will be soon!

OctavianP
09-25-2020, 03:06 PM
Hello everyone. Sorry for the late join at this discussion but we need some help.
We managed to win a LEH Bison group hunt in region 7-42D starting October 16.
All the persons in my group are like deers in the headlight...we have no idea where to go except to reach Pink Mountain.
We plan on going with 2 toy haulers with a couple of ATV.
Does anyone know to give us some indication where we can camp on 7-42D?
I read about this airstrip but we have no Idea where and how to get there.
Any information will be greatly appreciated.
Also we are willing to rent some cabin if there are in the area of 7-42D but I can't find any information regarding this because we are 0% familiar with the area. The furthest north we ever been was Hudson Hope and that's about 250km short of our hunting area.
So again if anyone has some info that could help us with be greatly appreciated .
Thanks you very much again.

REMINGTON JIM
09-25-2020, 04:56 PM
Hmm ! First post but being a member for 6 years WTH ?? :razz: RJ

OctavianP
09-25-2020, 05:58 PM
What does it matter how many posts anyone hase....just asking for some help from helpful peoples.....

REMINGTON JIM
09-25-2020, 10:14 PM
WoW ! 2 posts Now in 6 years ! :smile: RJ

jan.wi97
09-25-2020, 11:05 PM
What does it matter how many posts anyone hase....just asking for some help from helpful peoples.....

I think RemJim is referring to a trade-off... after all, one hand washes the other.

walks with deer
09-28-2020, 09:31 PM
WoW ! 2 posts Now in 6 years ! :smile: RJ

haha papa jim..

he can call me on his way home and i will help him get a kamloops deer slam two whiteys and a muley..all book of course.