PDA

View Full Version : Am I Out To Lunch

curt
10-15-2007, 09:27 PM
ok please tell me what you think maybe i'm a fool if you were out hunting and picked out a nice quiet area parked the quads or trucks half a km back and hiked in would you think others hunters coming up on your vehicle would be able to figure out what was up, and pick somwhere else to hunt or am i in a dream world. I was very dissapointed when i was moose hunting i found a nice swamp we parked the quads "right off the trail in plan view" and hiked into the area in the dark minutes after the sun crested the hills i had 2 rigs crash their way through waving as they pasted i wasnt the most friendly i must say. what was really disturbing to me was these were seasons hunters you know the ones us younger people are suppose to look up to 45-60 yrs I find it really sad how there is such a lack of respect among us if I see hunters in an area i leave with out question first come first serve as far as i'm concerned but i see this time and time again WHAT THE HELL ARE THESE PEOPLE THINKING ignorant jerks in my opinnion.

kloosterboer
10-15-2007, 09:33 PM
I agree!! And don't think your out to lunch!!

Sako 300 win mag
10-15-2007, 09:33 PM
I come across them every year I don't think they under stand the "RESPECT" thing. They should turn around and get lost. I thought it was an unwritten rule !

Brambles
10-15-2007, 09:34 PM
don't have enough info to make judgement.

todbartell
10-15-2007, 09:47 PM
happened to me elk hunting this past September, but it was a guide with 3 hunters on atvs. They blew right by both of our parked quads and right up to us as we were walking into the last block on a dead end road

zero respect

mark
10-15-2007, 09:52 PM
This happens all the time, Maybe the others thought you were in the bush walking????? If your on a road or quad trail, expect to see traffic! Its as simple as that.

J_T
10-15-2007, 09:52 PM
I agree with you Curt.

There are many on here who have posted that it is about ethics. I'm not sure about that.

There are many on here who have posted they couldn't give a rats behind for someone else. If you don't want to be impacted by a quad, go somewhere else. But sometimes, that isn't possible. Is it? You make a plan and you believe you act accordingly, but someone else has a different set of standards. Do you have to be ok with your hunt being turned into a walk, because of someone else's actions?

Government makes rules to establish standards when people tend to disagree with the fluctuations in peoples actions.

Given, passing restrictions on ATV use will have an impact on hunter numbers

Given, not all ATV use is by hunters

Given, not all hunters using ATV's are strictly hunting (sometimes, they're just enjoying some time off)

Given, this season in particular, there are a number of people on this site, expressing displeasure on how many are using the ATV.

Perhaps, it is time, to consider ATV use.

mrdoog
10-15-2007, 10:24 PM
No you're not out to lunch.
The rules of old have just gone by the wayside.
Back a few years ago if you parked your truck beside a cutblock or a trail, it was a given that the area was yours and they would have to get up earlier for the "right" to hunt that area.
These rules have been passed on to my sons and my wife.
We still honour these simple rules.
To give most fellow hunters credit, most of them stop and ask what vehicle I'm with. Most offer a ride back if I'm a ways away.
Come to think of it, I've had very few quad riders stop and talk to me.
Maybe it's because I tend to step off the trail and let them zoom by.

horshur
10-15-2007, 10:31 PM
Are you out to lunch???? Yes!!!!!

Free country, crown land, public use forest service road. They have just as much right as you to be there your expectations are unreasonable.
suffice to say them "Old Guys" may have hunted that country when you were in diapers so who really was there first????

I'm reminded of a story of two guys glassing a nice buck accross a canyon much to long for a shot......buddy pulls up and ask what they have seen????....boys are pretty proud of that buck accross the canyon and tell him.....Are you gonna shoot it?...No to far and it's impossible to stalk down there in any time....so your not going after him...no
Buddy goes down canyon straight away....walks up on buck pretty quik and shoots him all the while them boys is watching the whole thing it were a 20 minute stalk....them boys were some mad but........that's there problem.LOL
Some of you boys have tried to be less than subtle about where your hunting. Parking your rigs accross the road. Frankly you are begging for a tuneup and breaking the law. I gladly just go around. Your red face and the smoke from your ears makes me laugh and we usually wave.

mrdoog
10-15-2007, 10:59 PM
I would never park in order to block a hunting area.
All I'm asking is a little respect, if you see a truck parked, move on down the road.
Lots of area out there for everyone to enjoy.
I've come to benefit from some of those who choose to drive, run, walk where I'm hunting. Thanks for playing dog for me.

Shooter
10-15-2007, 11:07 PM
Where I live there are a lot of Mushroom pickers/ Shalal pickers. I come across their vehicles all the time. When I see a vehicle parked I dont automatically give up a choice area without a clue as to what the owner of the vehicle is doing. I came across a hunter a few years back walking on a road into an area that had probly 50-75 square miles of good hunting grounds and NUMEROUS different slashes to spot from so I didnt turn around ( I would have had he been walking into 1 particular slash or otherwise small area). When I came past him he was probly less than half a click from his truck and I saw him throw his arms up and turn back towards his truck in a hasty and aggravated manner. I try to be a consientious hunter and respect others and there methods but why should I give up a huge area to one guy? If I come to a slash and see someone glassing it or sitting on it I definately give him the area but you have to draw the line somewhere.

horshur
10-15-2007, 11:12 PM
The whole lineup thing--racing to get in front--I had first dibs--you cut in front--Teacher, John budged in line -- save it for the playground.

todbartell
10-15-2007, 11:27 PM
there is a difference between walking a road for example that leads to a clearcut dead end and walking (or driving slowly for that matter) a road that leads to kilometers of other area for many people to hunt

Boonerbuck and I ran into a problem a few years ago in region 3 when we were stuck behind a guy driving a road @ 10 km/hr, when we had to get to a pre choosen spot kilometers up the road before last light. the guy was crawling along "hunting", we were just simply driving to our spot where we were going to walk in and hunt till dark. We gave him lots of room for a couple kilometers (hanging 200 yards back) hoping he would pick a side road to "hunt" but he just kept putting along the mainline. We drove up close to him, he spiked the brakes and freaked on us for tail gating him as he "hunted". Turns out he was new to the area (so he claimed) and didnt know there was kilometers of road and lots of sideroads ahead.

RMG
10-15-2007, 11:32 PM
Animals in general don't care and neither should you. Case in point, several years ago, when I lived in PG, I hunted extensively 7-10, a very high traffic area. One cut block 3 moose fell to 3 different hunting parties all before noon. Before the crack of dawn I walked into the back end, at sun up there crashing down the road comes, you got it big tired 4x4, stops at swamp, nails LEH mature bull. I go meet the lucky guys, and offer my assistance, (coastal guys) get the bull loaded and while doing so, boom, another LEH big bull falls, not more that 300 yrds away from us. Believe me we were not being quiet. Once we finish loading the moose, sitting on the road, we see a cow and calf, walk out of the timber, but wait, that calfs kinda big, check it out good. An immy, boom, my moose falls. Thanks to some coastal hunters, it was an easy pack to the road. 3 moose, one cutblock and all before noon. The animals just dont care, and neither should you, me or anyone else.

mrdoog
10-15-2007, 11:42 PM
"save it for the playground."
Hee, hee loved playgound justice.

If someone's in a hurry I always pull over.
The only person who had the ultimate advantage was the Dozer operator who first made the road.

todbartell
10-15-2007, 11:42 PM
moose are dumb as shit, try making noise around elk or deer, or bear for that matter

mrdoog
10-15-2007, 11:50 PM
Had 2 Does walk out as we screwing around banging at targets a few weeks ago.
One sound I've noticed that most deer pay attention to is the sound of a rifle action being loaded. Strange considering they shouldn't understand what it is.

Jagermeister
10-15-2007, 11:55 PM
The best moose lure in the out of rut season is a chainsaw cutting some wood. A guy I know swore by it.

I've said it before, if you're sitting in a logged block, think of those that go by as doing you a favour of (1) not stopping to talk thereby revealing your position and (2) distracting any animal's attention from you to them thereby not revealing your position. Use a little common sense, if it is the last block and you drove into it, you already most likely screwed any hunting oppurtunity for yourself anyhow. If you must have total solitude in your hunt, then hunt with Dana beyond the reach of Joe Average Hunter and stop whinning.

RMG
10-16-2007, 12:02 AM
moose are dumb as shit, try making noise around elk or deer, or bear for that matter

I dont understand why you would say that. Try telling that to all the guys that strike out on moose this year. I have watched deer, both whiteys and mulies, stand perfectly still while a hunter drives by them, in their vehicle, not more that 50 yards away. Yes in perfect sight of them. The deer will stand still, watch, listen. 90% of the time the deer will not move, until the vehicle is gone from sight. I have the opportunity to watch this once or twice every season. The deer here dont care about vehicle traffic. Bears, I have watched they usually just run out of site at first sign of trouble. Maybe you have different deer up there, but I've hunted that area a lot too, and they look and act the same there as they do here. Could be just me that doesnt care about vehicle/quad traffic. But then it could be that the animals just dont care either.

todbartell
10-16-2007, 12:08 AM
the situation I was in earlier this fall while elk hunting, I will explain again

we (me and 2 partners) had driven from camp to a big mudhole that was only ATV from there on in to the last block on a dead end road. We unload quads, drive through mud, drive 1km, then get off quads and hike in the last KM into the block. Guide and 3 hunters (guide 100% knows the area and knows its a dead end with just the one block) disregards our truck, follows us, drives past our parked quads, and roars right up to us walking on the road in the block. He wants to know where we're hunting. We told him we're all splitting up and gonna hunt this cutblock. Yada yada he gets all huffy that we beat him to the spot, turns around, and motors away.

the right thing to do for him IMO in that situation would be to turn around when he saw our quads and us walking away from them (let alone our parked truck) and find another spot to hunt for the evening. I know if we had been running late that day and he was there first, we would of kicked ourselves for being late and turned around and spend the evening in another spot

PS - RMG

Ive hunted spots for deer that had routine vehicle traffic, and the deer got accustomed to certain exhaust notes from the family that lived at the end of the road. Minutes before the vehicle appeared in sight the deer would perk up and listen. If it was the locals, they would go back to the feeding. if it was a vehicle that they werent used to, they would run for the bush and not return for 10 minutes after the vehicle left. The road hunters would never know the deer were even there. It was quit something to watch. What I meant about moose being dumb as shit is you can often drive by them and talk to them out the window, and they just stare at you. They just arent as spooky as alot of other game

RMG
10-16-2007, 12:12 AM
[quote=Jagermeister;195443]The best moose lure in the out of rut season is a chainsaw cutting some wood. A guy I know swore by it. quote]

This reminds me of the very first whitey buck I took, on a cut block, me 15 at the time, hunting alone, hearing some firewood cutters on a landing, dont want to walk out there, take a skid trail around the landing. And there he is, a brute, 5X5, standing there watching these guys. Well it took me 3 shots. I can still remember one of the guys saying to his partner, "Man that was close, lets get the $$$$ out of here" Good thing whiteys dont like noise, cause if they did they would have been helpin out those firewood cutters.

Wildman
10-16-2007, 07:29 AM
ok please tell me what you think maybe i'm a fool if you were out hunting and picked out a nice quiet area parked the quads or trucks half a km back and hiked in would you think others hunters coming up on your vehicle would be able to figure out what was up, and pick somwhere else to hunt or am i in a dream world. I was very dissapointed when i was moose hunting i found a nice swamp we parked the quads "right off the trail in plan view" and hiked into the area in the dark minutes after the sun crested the hills i had 2 rigs crash their way through waving as they pasted i wasnt the most friendly i must say. what was really disturbing to me was these were seasons hunters you know the ones us younger people are suppose to look up to 45-60 yrs I find it really sad how there is such a lack of respect among us if I see hunters in an area i leave with out question first come first serve as far as i'm concerned but i see this time and time again WHAT THE HELL ARE THESE PEOPLE THINKING ignorant jerks in my opinnion.

I know how you feel. I too park way back and sneak into my hunting areas. I've had other hunters just drive right in, blow past me, piss me off.

Marc
10-16-2007, 08:08 AM
I park where people can see my vehicle but never block the road.

There are sportsmen and then there are idiots with guns. Couple of years ago I was hunting up in region 7 we were on a FSR and it was slicker then you know what. Even in 4 wheel drive you had a hard time staying on yourside of the road. Well two guys in a suzuki fly pass us at highway speed, almost side swipping us, tossing beer cans out the window. About 5 kilometers up the road here are the same two guys broken down and overheated on the side of the road collecting water out of the ditch. We just waved as we drove by.

I'm a firm believer in what comes around goes around. If I see a vehicle in an area I was planing on hunting I move to plan B. That could be setting up to intecept anything he may move on another spur or move to a different area a km away. It's suposed to be about having fun and enjoying the outdoors. Hopefully the hunter that I stoped at his vehicle and then moved on heard me and would pay me the same respect if the situation were reversed. I stop and talk to every hunter I meet on the road that slows down has his window down or walking. You'd be surprised what a hello can do to earn a bit of respect or information on an area. Who knows it may be one of the members from the site.

Marc.

brotherjack
10-16-2007, 08:53 AM
What I expect depends a little bit on where I'm hunting.

For instance, if it's the end of the road around the next couple of corners, then yeah, I expect them to turn around and leave me be. I do the same when I come up on a truck in a similar spot. But by the same token, I don't park beside a road that goes on another 20km and expect everyone to turn around and back out when they see my truck, because it's very possible they're 'in-transit' to somewhere farther down the line, and I have no right to block that activity.

Another somewhat different example, there's a spot I've done some mule deer hunting, that everybody and their dog knows is a great spot for mule deer (folks shoot two or three deer a day up there during the peak of the rut). Consequently, it gets hunted REALLY hard and heavy. Chances of hunting alone up there are near zero. If I want to hunt up there, I have to accept the fact that there's going to be as many as ten guys running around on the same several square miles of mountainside as I am.

elkdom
10-16-2007, 08:56 AM
Obviously we hunters are not very civilized, bickering,unable to tolerate other hunter"s methods of persuit of game, peeing here! , peeing there! , someone is always unhappy!. Now not wishing to take sides in this neverendum of disdain the fact is if we are hunting Crown Land! then the other guy has as much right to be there as I do!, as long as no laws broken , one can go where and when and how he chooses, this sort of thing is called FREEDOM! do your own thing get over what the other guy is doing , do your own thing!!

J_T
10-16-2007, 09:17 AM
Eldom,

Generally, I agree with your comment and as unfortunate as it sometimes is, that is how I approach those situations. Crown land tends to equal freedom and just because I have a different approach doesn't make the other person wrong or unethical.

However, it doesn't negate the fact that to many of us, it is frustrating.

I agree with Brotherjack's assessment as well. There are many situations one will find themselves in.

308Lover
10-16-2007, 09:21 AM
You got it Curt! As a rule my friends and I would shy away from trucks/quads etc. and give people some space. Thundering quads are what I'm against. People just ride and ride, and don't even think about why YOU might need some room. Sorry--I just burn when I see quads around my hunting area. ( Assuming first come--first to hunt---the ethical way.)

bigwhiteys
10-16-2007, 09:28 AM
then the other guy has as much right to be there as I do!, as long as no laws broken , one can go where and when and how he chooses, this sort of thing is called FREEDOM! do your own thing get over what the other guy is doing , do your own thing!!

I still subscribe to the train of thought that if someone has beat me into a hunting spot then they have beat me there period, and I'll move on. I don't like to be intefered with when I hunt and I will go out of my way to make sure I don't interfere with others.

Case in point... 3 years ago on a sheep hunt we run into an older gent, who was going on a solo backpack hunt. We had a good chat, found out we were actually going up the same drainage. The old guy said, "well... you boys got here first so I'll move onto another area and let you have this"... Wow... what a great guy we thought, continued on our hunt and all was merry.

Flash forward this year... We spot some rams... Decide we are going to take a closer look and proceed into the area. Who do we run into...? The SAME guy I'd run into a few years prior... He's on another solo backpack hunt and we have both been glassing the same little band of rams, I returned the courtesy he bestowed upon me a few years earlier and backed off and let him hunt the area. Even though we could have easily beat him to the rams by a country mile. He thanked me, we had a good bs we learned some from him and then moved on. What goes around comes around...

Stopping to talk to another hunter you may run into in "your" area is a courtesy... Find out each others plan and then don't interfere with each other... It makes for a better hunting experience.

Happy Hunting!
Carl

krazy
10-16-2007, 10:36 AM

Since you asked ..... you are out to lunch. If it's public land anyone has just as much right to be there as you. The rest is ethics/morals and good luck getting a concensus on that - might as well start arguing religion or politics.

Monashee
10-16-2007, 11:25 AM
My regular hunting partner and I go to the same area year after year that my grandfather showed me as a kid . We know the routes the bucks take and get our two bucks most years. Anyway one year we go into our regular area . I got dropped off about 1/2 mile from the parking spot to get a buck moving towards my partner, who drove to the end of the road to park and a vehicle is already there , first time ever this has happened, no one in it. He parked beside it and started hiking off the road when 20 yards away this guy jumps up and starts waving his arm and gun at him. He just ignored him , the guy gets furious ,yells at him (with an Italian accent) that he got there first etc. and acts pretty irrational stamps his feet .... and he is holding a gun. My partner just looked at him , wrote down his vehicle license number and kept going. We got a 3 point buck that day :) Turned out my partners sister was a neighbour of the Italian and the guy had a reputation of being difficult.

I've had guys catch up to me while driving on logging roads , I pull over to let them pass. Twice I've shot deer shortly after being passed by some guy in a hurry.

curt
10-16-2007, 05:58 PM
Horshur sound's just like those guys well each to your own you wont find me in your spot that all i have to say

horshur
10-16-2007, 07:11 PM
Horshur sound's just like those guys well each to your own you wont find me in your spot that all i have to say

In my oppinion the main reason so many have these complaints is because they refuse to leave the safety blanket of a road........if you are walking a road someone is going to come down it cause that's what roads are for.........27 years hunting and I cannot recall having anybody quad, truck, walking ,or plane mess up my spot....

todbartell
10-16-2007, 07:24 PM
in the situation I was in earlier this september, I supposed I could avoided being run down by a quad if I had fishhooked around through the timber and ridges and circled in to the spot I had chosen to sit for the evening...but it would of taken me seven hours longer to get to my spot and I would of missed shooting my first elk

it was one of the few bad experiences Ive had in my life with vehicle traffic while hunting because for the most part I am usually far enough off a road or trail that it doesnt effect me a whole lot

dukester
10-16-2007, 07:30 PM
Maybe they had a choosen spot picked out also beyond yours??, maybe they had a animal down from earlier in the day and heading back.did they have a camp back in there?? ?? hard to muster an opinion un less you are able to chat with the guys.

curt
10-16-2007, 07:48 PM
well i asked for some opinnions and i got lots and thankyou all for that this is why i ask i like to think we are all continually learning from eachother it always helps to here different angles of perspective. There was some good stuff here 9 times out of 10 i'm well back in off the trails listening to thr roadies go and it's not an issue, by but it's still frustrating when people move in on you, yes it's crown land and we all have as much right as the next to be there but it would be nice in a perfect world i suppose if ethics played a bigger role in some. As for the quad issue's look at it like this plenty of guys never leave their quads yes it can be frustating listening to them put put around but that leaves the bush for the guys that do get off or out of their vehicles.I usually use my quad to get back into country 4x4's cant then park it and walk from there. thanks again