PDA

View Full Version : If You Spot a Rifle in the Bush...?

skibum
07-02-2020, 04:16 PM
Didn't want to mess up the lost rifle thread, but...

If you see a rifle sitting against a tree (obviously not been there for years) do you leave in case the dude come back looking for it, or do you pick it up and take it to the RCMP and post on social media about finding it?

Honestly not sure what to do, but I wouldn't really want to run into someone with their rifle in my truck (or him/her see it in there while I am out for a hunt). Leave it and come back, knowing that there are too many un-honest people out there that are stealing shit and wouldn't turn it in?

Keta1969
07-02-2020, 04:21 PM
I would put it in my truck and drop it off for the cops to deal with. I'm not on social media except for here and if I was I would not post about it. The cops can sort it out.

walks with deer
07-02-2020, 04:37 PM
i would not post it would take it and screen for posts.

REMINGTON JIM
07-02-2020, 04:55 PM
I would put it in my truck and drop it off for the cops to deal with. I'm not on social media except for here and if I was I would not post about it. The cops can sort it out.

YUP ! this RJ

srupp
07-02-2020, 04:55 PM
Hmm take it..and right to RCMP.
IF i left it there might not find my way back to the same spot.
I have a license to be in possession of a firearm..good to go
Srupp

Big Lew
07-02-2020, 04:57 PM
If I thought it was left there recently I would likely leave it alone in case the owner came back
hoping to find it. Failing that, I would leave a obviously visible note explaining that I found it
and was taking it into the nearest RCMP detachment.

KBC
07-02-2020, 04:58 PM
Yeah take it and report. Or hang around for a few minutes in case he's taking a dump close by?

GreyDog
07-02-2020, 05:36 PM
It happens. I know of one case where a guy leaned his rifle up against a tree while he was glassing an area. He moved along the ridge as he glassed and, when he went to get his rifle, he couldn't find it. Now, there are those who would say he was dumb as a sheep and it wouldn't happen to them and I'm sure he would have said the same thing before it happened to him. Anyway, he never did find the rifle. The next year though, someone else did find it. The stock was a bit ugly, by then, but the metal was, surprisingly enough, OK. The finder took the rifle to fellow who knew both guys and paid him to put a glass stock on it. He told about finding the rifle and the stocker, who knew the guy who lost the rifle, told him about it. So it was that the finder and the loser, who knew one another, got into a hell of a row with the stocker caught in the middle. I thought the rifle should have been returned to the original owner but I was only an onlooker. GD

180grainer
07-02-2020, 06:12 PM
If you see a rifle sitting against a tree (obviously not been there for years) do you leave in case the dude come back looking for it, or do you pick it up and take it to the RCMP
Yes. Call and let them know you're coming. Leave the firearm in the vehicle when you go to get the Officer.

Redthies
07-02-2020, 07:17 PM
Exactly boxhitch. Leave a note. If they contact you and can describe the rifle, they get it. If not, wait for the next caller. Unless you don’t have a PAL, there is no reason to take it to the cops.

bigredchev
07-02-2020, 07:29 PM
Well if it was a tikka, I’d do the guy a favour and throw in the nearest lake.

if it was something nice, I would try to give it back to the rightful owner via rcmp

REMINGTON JIM
07-02-2020, 07:35 PM
[QUOTE=bigredchev;2184831]Well if it was a tikka, I’d do the guy a favour and throw in the nearest lake.

LOL azzehole ! :wink: RJ

tigrr
07-03-2020, 07:38 AM

if it was something nice, I would try to give it back to the rightful owner via rcmp

Where's the like button?

Gun Dog
07-03-2020, 07:54 AM
We were driving around in a friend's Jeep Wrangler when I looked around in the Jeep and said"where's my rifle?". It was the kind of day where we would drive a bit, walk a bit, drive a bit, walk a bit. I had put my rifle on top of the Jeep at the last stop and gotten in leaving it on top.

We stopped and I got out - the rifle was still on the roof. Hadn't moved at all.

I'd try to leave a note and phone number and keep it safe.

wideopenthrottle
07-03-2020, 07:59 AM
nothing goes on the roof or leaned against a vehicle EVER!..i might hang the sling over the side mirror but never do I lean it...ive lost a few pairs of shades and a few coffee cups off the roof to learn that lesson..

ActionJackson017
07-03-2020, 08:10 AM
^^ I know a jackass who lost his travel wallet full of his family's passports, birth certificates and drivers licenses while leaving the airport parking lot in Sydney Australia, by putting it on the roof and driving away.

Yes, I'm not too proud of that - and I then spent 5 straight days in the Canadian consulate office arranging for emergency replacement passports. Could be worse I suppose.. the movie Raising Arizona comes to mind with the baby on the roof. :)

Fella
07-03-2020, 08:37 AM
nothing goes on the roof or leaned against a vehicle EVER!..i might hang the sling over the side mirror but never do I lean it...ive lost a few pairs of shades and a few coffee cups off the roof to learn that lesson..
I did that with my daughters new colouring books and crayons that I just bought her as a treat. She was sad and that made me sad

Linksman313
07-03-2020, 09:43 AM

LMAO funny you say that, I keep finding Tikka mags lost in the bush, 5 in all, in completely different areas of the province at that. Last one just outside Bill's puddle 3 weeks agi while taking a road break driving dads Jeep back to the Boundary. That one (30.06) was spray painted hi-vis orange on the plastic base plate lol, and still got lost poor bugger. That being said anyone lose any tikka mags?

GEF
07-03-2020, 04:22 PM
No one who hunts with a clip rifle ever admits losing there there clip (magazine):-P

sky-gunner
07-03-2020, 05:52 PM
LMAO funny you say that, I keep finding Tikka mags lost in the bush, 5 in all, in completely different areas of the province at that. Last one just outside Bill's puddle 3 weeks agi while taking a road break driving dads Jeep back to the Boundary. That one (30.06) was spray painted hi-vis orange on the plastic base plate lol, and still got lost poor bugger. That being said anyone lose any tikka mags?

I've never lost a mag out of mine, but do carry a spare. Are the newer ones less quality or something? I picked up a 7mag t3 lite about a decade ago and it prints about roughly .5 of a inch with handloads. Not sure why the hate for them lol.

If I found a rifle in the bush, I'd do my best to find it's owner via SM or forums. I'm not taking it to the cops though. Hate to get someone in shit for a honest mistake. Nobody is immune from mistakes after all.

Trapper
07-03-2020, 08:10 PM
two years ago I found a 303 rifle laying in a ditch along side of a hwy . couldn't stop at time as i was driving a loaded logging truck so i made a note of where it was and stopped on the way back. long story short i phoned the rcmp and stayed until they showed up ( never touch it didnt know what it was use for)cop picks up the rifle there was one in the chamber and magazine was full . so anyways no one claimed it in one year so they phoned me up and asked if i wanted it, i said sure .So now its in my gun safe

moosinaround
07-03-2020, 08:49 PM
I found one on the Kobe’s creek FSR up north. Right in the middle of the road, loaded with one in the chamber and five in the tube! Took to the RCMP, no one claimed it, so they offered it to me. I told them to destroy it. Moosin

russm
07-03-2020, 09:20 PM
No one who hunts with a clip rifle ever admits losing there there clip (magazine):-P

Lol my dad lost one up around cache creek, thought it was clipped in all the way and went for a walk, at some point it fell out

Mosin
07-03-2020, 10:22 PM
That's a shame. I'm sure a new hunter or somebody would have appreciated it.
I'm guessing you're all for turning your guns in too...

What an arrogant post, it's a free country, if he didn't want he didn't want it...Hell's it to you?

srupp
07-03-2020, 10:26 PM
Hmm so you find a rifle in the bush.decide to take it home not involving the police..
guy who lost it..REMER where he last had it..certain..and finds the spot..no rifle..he says to police..I left it there..it's NOW gone
SOMEONE TOOK IT !
So now. ..what do you do..
1) you took it without implied consent ..theft
2) didn't turn it in / over to police..implied consent would have covered you straight to police involvement
3) get and extra charge possession of stolen property..
Would this happen...it could why chance it..
I found $45,000 in cash in the washroom of a cruise ship..in a wallet
Went straight to management even to point of being late for a formal dinner with the best looking babe on the entire ship..Susan.
The boat management took photos, recorded every series number..all, cars slips papers in this wallet.
Then they took ALL my information. .then asked what country I was from..ridiculing my decision to surrender such a wad of cash
I said Canada
They said..that figures
Hmm mm
Just my views
Srupp

Keta1969
07-03-2020, 10:48 PM
Pretty sure you are required to report lost or stolen firearm so if it's all on the up and up the guy has already let the cops know. If it's not I wouldn't want to be in possession of the gun.Any thread on here re a lost gun the guys who have lost it reported to the cops so why keep it. From what others have said if no one claims it you may get it.

landphil
07-03-2020, 11:05 PM

I was finishing clearing out a plugged culvert while bear hunting this spring, and while leaned way over pulling the last few sticks out, I felt my chest pocket get lighter, and heard a little splash into the now-roaring little stream. Yup, it was my clipazine, and 3 rounds. Gone. Gravel was washing downstream in a hurry at that point, with some precious metal in the mix.

;)

Redthies
07-04-2020, 12:58 AM
Hmm so you find a rifle in the bush.decide to take it home not involving the police..
guy who lost it..REMER where he last had it..certain..and finds the spot..no rifle..he says to police..I left it there..it's NOW gone
SOMEONE TOOK IT !
So now. ..what do you do..
1) you took it without implied consent ..theft
2) didn't turn it in / over to police..implied consent would have covered you straight to police involvement
3) get and extra charge possession of stolen property..
Would this happen...it could why chance it..

I think the point is, if you FIND something on crown land with no obvious signs of it being put somewhere on purpose ie: a object in the middle of the road with a divot like it fell of a truck or quad, you are NOT going to be charged with theft. If you “find” a campsite full of tents, coolers, chairs etc and take that, well, that’s a different story.

There is no actual law statute stating you have to turn things in, but there is a “law” of common sense and consideration. Is it any more effective giving the found object to the police, or posting “I found X” on Y road on day Z here and on the bookface. If you lost it, get in touch and describe the item to get it back. If you can show you made efforts to find is owner, a theft charge is not going to happen. <It would be prudent to find out for sure if it’s illegal to keep a found firearm>.

If you find find something valuable and make zero effort to find its owner, you are an ass, and karma will bitchslap you some day.

Edited to emphasize the point... which has now been clearly stated on page 5.

Trapper
07-04-2020, 06:24 AM
Srupp
Wow $45.000 that might have been a hard decision for me ,but you did the right thing

Gun Dog
07-04-2020, 07:01 AM
SOMEONE TOOK IT !
No one has mentioned the converse -- if you lost a rifle in the woods would you report it to the police? How would you go about looking for it?

moosinaround
07-04-2020, 07:12 AM
That's a shame. I'm sure a new hunter or somebody would have appreciated it.
I'm guessing you're all for turning your guns in too...
Holy?!!! Read my posts much? What a F$%ckin knob thing to say?? I didn't want someone else's gun, so I'm am anti gun/liberal supporter? Who the phuck do you think you are?? I didn't want a worn out piece of crap gun, that would probably blew up in a new persons face!! Way to assume A$$ Hat!! Wasn't mine, was someone else's, let the cops deal with the paper work moosin

Big Lew
07-04-2020, 07:32 AM
Holy?!!! Read my posts much? What a F$%ckin knob thing to say?? I didn't want someone else's gun, so I'm am anti gun/liberal supporter? Who the phuck do you think you are?? I didn't want a worn out piece of crap gun, that would probably blew up in a new persons face!! Way to assume A$$ Hat!! Wasn't mine, was someone else's, let the cops deal with the paper work moosin

I don't normally get involved with this sort of behaviour...but that's a great response 'mooseinaround'!

Ambush
07-04-2020, 08:08 AM
Some really bad advice here:

If you find a firearm you are required to turn it into the police, by law. Period.

if you are found in possession of a firearm that was reported lost or stolen, you are considered in possession of stolen property and illegally in possession of a firearm. Think about that for your PAL.

If you lost a gun, start a police file. Decent chance you’ll get it back. And if the gun is ever used in a crime , you’re in the clear.

And no, it doesn’t matter what you think is right or common sense, unless you are the presiding judge.

REMINGTON JIM
07-04-2020, 08:18 AM
I was finishing clearing out a plugged culvert while bear hunting this spring, and while leaned way over pulling the last few sticks out, I felt my chest pocket get lighter, and heard a little splash into the now-roaring little stream. Yup, it was my clipazine, and 3 rounds. Gone. Gravel was washing downstream in a hurry at that point, with some precious metal in the mix.

;)

Phil Phil Phil ! :roll: Sorry for your $100 Lost ! :-P RJ

whitespringer
07-04-2020, 08:21 AM
Brothers-in-law shot a moose, excitedly placed my rifle on the front tire of my truck. Drove back to camp to get gear. Gutted, quartered and in the truck 3 hours later, where’s my rifle? Pure elation to sick to my stomach. Went back to the spot on the road, gone.
A guy had drove down the road and did a unturn when he got to us. No hellos, congrats, nothing because he had my rifle. Reported it stolen to rcmp. Couple days later driving home get a call from rcmp, someone thought better of possessing a stolen firearm. (Gun registration days) Came back for another hunt and picked it up with a couple character scratches on the stock. Lol.
Wont make that mistake again

tyreguy
07-04-2020, 08:33 AM
Thanks Ambush, this is the only option if finding a rifle. If you find or lose a firearm you contact the police.

If you find a firearm you are required to turn it into the police, by law. Period.

if you are found in possession of a firearm that was reported lost or stolen, you are considered in possession of stolen property and illegally in possession of a firearm. Think about that for your PAL.

If you lost a gun, start a police file. Decent chance you’ll get it back. And if the gun is ever used in a crime , you’re in the clear.

And no, it doesn’t matter what you think is right or common sense, unless you are the presiding judge.

Redthies
07-04-2020, 08:39 AM

Seems like you should post a link to the relevant law. Otherwise yours is just another post by a random dude that may or may not have a clue what he’s talking about. I’m not saying your wrong, just that if you are claiming everyone else IS wrong, show us the law so we can be educated.

Dannybuoy
07-04-2020, 09:27 AM
Marginal note:Losing or finding

105 (1) Every person commits an offence who

(a) having lost a prohibited firearm, a restricted firearm, a non-restricted firearm, a prohibited weapon, a restricted weapon, a prohibited device, any prohibited ammunition, an authorization, a licence or a registration certificate, or having had it stolen from the person’s possession, does not with reasonable despatch report the loss to a peace officer, to a firearms officer or a chief firearms officer; or

(b) on finding a prohibited firearm, a restricted firearm, a non-restricted firearm, a prohibited weapon, a restricted weapon, a prohibited device or any prohibited ammunition that the person has reasonable grounds to believe has been lost or abandoned, does not with reasonable despatch deliver it to a peace officer, a firearms officer or a chief firearms officer or report the finding to a peace officer, a firearms officer or a chief firearms officer.

tyreguy
07-04-2020, 09:34 AM
It’s called common sense. I can’t believe if someone finds a gun they think Facebook is an option before the Police. If the loser and finder think the same way then the gun will end up in the right home - I don’t need a fricken law to tell me the right thing to do , and neither should anyone else
Seems like you should post a link to the relevant law. Otherwise yours is just another post by a random dude that may or may not have a clue what he’s talking about. I’m not saying your wrong, just that if you are claiming everyone else IS wrong, show us the law so we can be educated.

Redthies
07-04-2020, 09:51 AM
It’s called common sense. I can’t believe if someone finds a gun they think Facebook is an option before the Police.

Unfortunately, common sense is rather uncommon these days. The reason I suggested posting a link to the relevant law (thanks for that by the way), is to point out why this whole thread is stupid...

Keta1969
07-04-2020, 09:55 AM
Unfortunately, common sense is rather uncommon these days. The reason I suggested posting a link to the relevant law (thanks for that by the way), is to point out why this whole thread is stupid...

If that's the case why didn't you post a link to the relevant law instead of suggesting using fake book.

Redthies
07-04-2020, 09:59 AM
If that's the case why didn't you post a link to the relevant law instead of suggesting using fake book.

Re-read my post Einstein. I never suggested using bookface or twatter or whatever instead of turning it in. I asked is one way MORE EFFECTIVE than the other at finding the rightful owner. I also stated “if you are LEGALLY allowed to retain it”. I added <> around the relevant part of that post so you can find it easier.

Redthies
07-04-2020, 10:04 AM
And actually, I’m going to step back from calling this thread “stupid”, because as it has clearly shown, not many people actually knew the legal requirements of finding a firearm in the woods whilst in possession of a valid PAL. Now anyone who reads through this will see the actual law posted, and be better off for it.

Keta1969
07-04-2020, 10:17 AM
Exactly boxhitch. Leave a note. If they contact you and can describe the rifle, they get it. If not, wait for the next caller. Unless you dont have a PAL, there is no reason to take it to the cops.

You may want to read your original post again. And yes I agree the post has served a useful purpose. I'll take the Einstein handle as a compliment. Thank you.

Redthies
07-04-2020, 10:33 AM
Well, apparently I’m smarter at 1:00 am than I am at other hours of the day. And nobody should take being called Einstein as an insult;)

bruce44
07-06-2020, 09:17 AM
I think the real question is, should you leave your rifle where you can't see it? You're technically breaking the law if you're leaving it unlocked and not in your direct possession. Technicalities aside, I'd look around just to make sure the guy didn't go take a leak and for some reason lost consciousness. You'd be surprised at how many people die while hunting. If the gun is still there when I come back, then I'd leave a note and take it to the CO.

caddisguy
07-06-2020, 03:26 PM
If the rifle was someone it was unlikely anyone else would stumble upon it, I would just call it in and let them decide if they want me to bring it to them, if they just want to know where it is so they can grab it themselves, or if they want me to show them where it is.

If it was along a road or somewhere other people are likely to stumble upon it, I would take possession of it (or just stay with it if I had cell reception) and call it in.

Odds are slim, but the possibility always exists the gun is stolen or dumped "for reasons" to begin with so if possible I prefer to give the police opportunity for first touch.

walks with deer
07-06-2020, 03:36 PM
Didn't want to mess up the lost rifle thread, but...

If you see a rifle sitting against a tree (obviously not been there for years) do you leave in case the dude come back looking for it, or do you pick it up and take it to the RCMP and post on social media about finding it?

Honestly not sure what to do, but I wouldn't really want to run into someone with their rifle in my truck (or him/her see it in there while I am out for a hunt). Leave it and come back, knowing that there are too many un-honest people out there that are stealing shit and wouldn't turn it in?

the first thing you do is see if its loaded...secound see if it groups. third see if you can shoot somethingbqith it before it goes back to real owner.

sumonda
07-08-2020, 09:36 PM
If you carry a phone with you while hunting take a picture of it where you found it.. then leave a note with your contact info. Take it home and see if owner contacts you.. if after a week or so no call, take it to the RCMP and as others have said call ahead, leave it in the trunk till you meet with the constable. If the cops decide to conduct an investigation (who knows why) you have a picture of where you found it.

Redthies
07-08-2020, 10:27 PM
Marginal note:Losing or finding

105 (1) Every person commits an offence who

(a) having lost a prohibited firearm, a restricted firearm, a non-restricted firearm, a prohibited weapon, a restricted weapon, a prohibited device, any prohibited ammunition, an authorization, a licence or a registration certificate, or having had it stolen from the person’s possession, does not with reasonable despatch report the loss to a peace officer, to a firearms officer or a chief firearms officer; or
(b) on finding a prohibited firearm, a restricted firearm, a non-restricted firearm, a prohibited weapon, a restricted weapon, a prohibited device or any prohibited ammunition that the person has reasonable grounds to believe has been lost or abandoned, does not with reasonable despatch deliver it to a peace officer, a firearms officer or a chief firearms officer or report the finding to a peace officer, a firearms officer or a chief firearms officer.

Sumonda see above. I’m not sure what individual peace officers would consider “reasonable despatch”, but I bet taking it home for “a week or so” doesn’t qualify.

GreyDog
07-09-2020, 08:41 AM
Not a lost rifle, but I did buy what may have been a stolen rifle once. Whether or not it was actually stolen was something I would question later on.
A guy brought into the shop, in Kamloops, a Model 70 which had been broken at the grip and the tang was scraped up a bit. I bought the rifle, repaired the stock,and re-blued the receiver. It came out pretty good and shot well so I kept it.
Some time later, an RCMP officer came into the shop in search of this "stolen" rifle. I produced the rifle, which had been recorded in our books, and it was confiscated. I was able to get in contact with the guy from whom I had bought the rifle. He had not been charged with anything at all; which I found to be a little strange. I was able to convince him that his life would be better, going forward, if he paid me what I had paid for the rifle plus the repairs and he did so. This was the end of it, as far as I was concerned.
Fast forward three or four years. I was wandering through the gun show in Calgary when I spotted this model 70 on the table of an RCMP member. The rifle was easily recognizable because of the stock repair which I had done (and a damn fine job too). I mentioned to the guy that I was familiar with the rifle and was surprised to see the "stolen" gun on his table. He didn't seem to want to talk about it and soon took it off the table.
If I found a rifle leaned against a tree today, I think I'd just tell a CO where it was and let it go at that. GD

huntingfamily
07-09-2020, 02:20 PM
Crazy story GreyDog. I'm not surprised though...