PDA

View Full Version : Black Bear Hunting Vanderhoof

bruce44
06-30-2020, 02:16 PM
Hi everyone,

I just moved to Vanderhoof in Feb and did some exploring this spring for black bear. Seen a lot south of town but always near private land. Can anyone recommend a good road to go down to do some hunting in the fall? Been all over Streigler pit road and saw 1 bear and surprisingly no deer or moose. It could due to the noise from the pipeline they are putting in.

Can anyone give me a good FSR to go down without a radio, for black bear? I'm strictly looking for black bear because I'm saving my moose and elk for my hunt later in the peace region.

rocksteady
06-30-2020, 04:10 PM
Talk to Mark at Omineca Sports.. he is also on this site. Todbartell

He will send you to his least productive area and you will see lots.. :)

walks with deer
06-30-2020, 06:00 PM
black bear hunting west of vanderhouf is the best in the province.

180grainer
06-30-2020, 06:48 PM
Holy Cross, Kluskus, Kenny Dam and Marrilla use to be pretty good. Don't know what they are like now.

REMINGTON JIM
06-30-2020, 07:39 PM
Lynum Road ! :lol: RJ

walks with deer
06-30-2020, 07:55 PM
drove holy cross sept 4th was loaded in bears.. could have filled a dunp truck with bears.

walks with deer
06-30-2020, 08:02 PM
how slow are you driving if road hunting? and how noisy is your truck?

i would recomend take above mentioned roads go 60-80 not 35 you know a boar is a boar cruise fast see bear pop one in the too whwn he looks like hulk hogan and shoot him then reload. first week of september there will be so many bears youll shake your head.
30 in a day is not uncommon.

180grainer
06-30-2020, 08:39 PM
drove holy cross sept 4th was loaded in bears.. could have filled a dunp truck with bears.
But all small?

REMINGTON JIM
07-01-2020, 08:48 AM
They like the WHEAT fields around VANDERHOOF ! RJ

bruce44
07-01-2020, 08:58 AM
Thanks everyone. The most productive day, I saw 4 bears down kenny dam road and surprisingly none down holy cross. All of them ran off before I got out. I usually do 60kms down the main roads and go really slow down side trails. I've only been hunting them in the last 2 weeks so maybe they are starting to wander away from the roads for now.

I'll try again in the fall. I drive a half ton gas so it's pretty quiet. I got a shot off on one bear down kenny dam road but missed. I was lucky though because after inspecting the site he was sitting at, there was garbage laying around everywhere. I had a clear shot on a 3 legged bear too, but since it would be my first one, I didn't want to tan something missing a leg.

180grainer
07-01-2020, 01:49 PM
Thanks everyone. The most productive day, I saw 4 bears down kenny dam road and surprisingly none down holy cross. All of them ran off before I got out. I usually do 60kms down the main roads and go really slow down side trails. I've only been hunting them in the last 2 weeks so maybe they are starting to wander away from the roads for now.

I'll try again in the fall. I drive a half ton gas so it's pretty quiet. I got a shot off on one bear down kenny dam road but missed. I was lucky though because after inspecting the site he was sitting at, there was garbage laying around everywhere. I had a clear shot on a 3 legged bear too, but since it would be my first one, I didn't want to tan something missing a leg.
You have to time it right. Best first thing in the morning and during the spring when grass is usually only growing on the sides of the roads. Once it greens up too much, the bears disperse. Last couple of weeks in May is usually pretty good.

bruce44
07-06-2020, 09:25 AM
You have to time it right. Best first thing in the morning and during the spring when grass is usually only growing on the sides of the roads. Once it greens up too much, the bears disperse. Last couple of weeks in May is usually pretty good.
Thanks for the info. I hunted after work in the evening and it wasn't until mid June when I started.