PDA

View Full Version : Regulations 2020-2022

dmuth
06-30-2020, 01:42 PM
The regulations are out, not the summary but the full law see the link to it here and you can look to the region you are interested in. There are no maps in this( for sub zones of management areas) but it gives you open season dates much like the Synopsis. Up dated April 16, 202 current to May 20, 2020.

Have fun reading and dreaming and planning.

http://www.bclaws.ca/civix/document/id/crbc/crbc/190_84_multi

porthunter
06-30-2020, 01:51 PM
From what I can tell... No more bow only seasons? Hoping I'm reading wrong.

dmuth
06-30-2020, 02:04 PM
To see the bow only seasons you have to look down into section 2 below the open season and bag limit table, there are Bow seasons bother early and late in some areas.

ram29
06-30-2020, 02:20 PM
I would be careful what you post and actually read the hunting regulations. I don't see any of these changes in your link.

https://apps.nrs.gov.bc.ca/ahte/hunting

silvertip0260
06-30-2020, 02:28 PM
Regulations will be online tomorrow

dmuth
06-30-2020, 02:45 PM
Look in region 7 GOS on Bison item 13.1 in sechedule 7 table. Please remember the wildlife act hunting regulations trump the synopsis.

dmuth
06-30-2020, 02:55 PM
When you look at the details of the link that you posted,(clic on the regulation proposed in the title column and it will tell you what the decision is) scopes on bows, was to reject this and we are still allowed to use our scopes on our cross bows for instance. That is good for us old guys that our eys don't work well enough for open sights.

ram29
06-30-2020, 03:17 PM
Look at region 4 antlerless whitetail and elk. Baiting as well. All in the new regulations. The link you posted is only current to May 20th. God knows when they will update it online.

twoSevenO
06-30-2020, 03:28 PM
Does this mean a guy can't shoot a mountain goat AND a moose?

(a) 3 deer, of which only one may be a mule deer buck from Region 3, 4, 5, 6,7 or 8;
(b) 2 black bear;
(c) 2 cougar;
(d) 3 wolves;
(e) one mountain sheep of the genus Ovis;
(f) one big game animal of a species other than those referred to in paragraphs(a) to (e);

was this always in the regs? I never noticed that before.

dmuth
06-30-2020, 04:46 PM
When i read this the same question came to mind but after re redaing it "I believe that it means all other big game is quantity 1 each", mooose 1, elk 1, sheep 1, caribou 1.....

dmuth
06-30-2020, 04:49 PM
Got to check my spelling before posting RE-READING!

Aaron600
06-30-2020, 05:53 PM
No wireless trail cams now. Good thing I bought two 4 months ago and paid for a subscription. I wonder if I can legally unscrew the antennas and just use them as regular trail cams.

ram29
06-30-2020, 06:11 PM
Thats a horrible regulation

Harvest the Land
06-30-2020, 06:58 PM
No wireless trail cams now. Good thing I bought two 4 months ago and paid for a subscription. I wonder if I can legally unscrew the antennas and just use them as regular trail cams.

****ing brutal! NDP are on a rampage with slapping as many new restrictions on hunters as possible. I suspected this would happen and that's why I didn't purchase any more cell trail cams this year. And that's what I did - I unscrewed the antennas on my cellular cameras and they still work fine. Gov't can take a long hard suck on my arse if they have a problem with that.

Not once have I ever even come close to shooting an animal while it was in front of one my cellular trail cams. We need to vote these *******s out next year!! Sure hope Wilkinson learns how to smile otherwise we might be f_cked and have to endure another 4 years of this bull shit

wifigary
06-30-2020, 07:33 PM
I have 4 of the wireless cell cams. Why would they not want fewer trips into the backcountry during prime wildfire season for people manually checking cams? They're still allowed from Dec-August 1st, so it's not a total waste.

nelsonob1
06-30-2020, 08:28 PM
No baiting? No salt licks? Big change.

browningboy
06-30-2020, 08:37 PM
Bison are GOS!

HarryToolips
06-30-2020, 09:31 PM
^^^^ya that's pretty cool.....too bad due to the past hard couple winters they have to reduce the WT antlerless seasons in the WK....and it's too bad they're shortening the 6 pt elk season in the WK, but they have to stick to their bull:cow ratio objectives....but the younger bulls are obviously still contributing to the breeding well as there is good calf recruitment, so that's good to see....

btridge
07-01-2020, 06:58 AM
New Regs are now posted...Nice sheep

Redthies
07-01-2020, 07:36 AM
too bad due to the past hard couple winters they have to reduce the WT antlerless seasons in the WK...

My area lost all it’s antlerless WT opening, but fall turkey increased to 2 birds. I’ll call that a win!

GreatWhitePopogeebo
07-01-2020, 07:37 AM
Glad I didnt buy that Ebike

Redthies
07-01-2020, 07:45 AM
Oh, and you guys with cell cameras... You can still use them, just not during sept-nov. I am100% ok with that.

Proceed with you bashing at will.

huntingfamily
07-01-2020, 07:46 AM
New reg's are out...

https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/sports-culture/recreation/fishing-hunting/hunting/regulations-synopsis

Elkaholic
07-01-2020, 07:48 AM

If you reading the regs it only bans them from August 1-dec 10th. The rational was people could get the cell cam photo then go try and hunt it. I know it's slim but that was the line of thought.

HarryToolips
07-01-2020, 08:30 AM
LOL they forgot to include WMU 4-32 in the antlerless WT season.....

Harvest the Land
07-01-2020, 06:24 PM

Where did you read this? I just read through the new regs and didn't see anywhere where it says we can't bait or use salt/licks for deer while hunting?

You had me worried as I have a couple of active bait sites. Glad they didn't change that reg. And glad they didn't say we can't use scopes on our crossbows during bow season - was scared for that one too

Rackmastr
07-01-2020, 06:42 PM
Where did you read this? I just read through the new regs and didn't see anywhere where it says we can't bait or use salt/licks for deer while hunting?

You had me worried as I have a couple of active bait sites. Glad they didn't change that reg. And glad they didn't say we can't use scopes on our crossbows during bow season - was scared for that one too

Its listed in Region 4 regs.

Harvest the Land
07-01-2020, 06:46 PM
Gotcha. Well it makes sense to ban it in the MU's closest to the CWD outbreak in Libby. Glad its not province wide. Thanks for clarifying

lightmag
07-01-2020, 06:47 PM
just dont hook to net work they work as regular cameras then

Wentrot
07-01-2020, 06:52 PM
My cellular cameras are simply to capture photos of wildlife.

lightmag
07-01-2020, 06:56 PM
:lol: exactly , mine too

Treed
07-01-2020, 09:46 PM
And now you have to spend $450 and 3 days to take the trapper course to snare hares. Brilliant.

reider33
07-02-2020, 11:30 AM
The trail camera one needs to be clarified abased on the proposal (copied and pasted from proposal) below. The wording of using a cell trail camera " commits and offense while on a hunting expedition">>> does this mean you can leave them up until you go hunting take them down while hunting. Clear as mud!!

Proposed Regulations:
Similar to current prohibitions related to drones and hunting:
A person commits an offence if, while on a hunting expedition from August 1 to December 10, the person operates a wireless trail camera, has a wireless trail camera in their possession, or uses information obtained from a wireless trail camera for the purpose of hunting.

Rationale:
This proposed regulation has been requested by the Provincial Hunting and Trapping Advisory Team. For more information on the process that led to the request refer to the “Additional Information” section at the bottom of this page.

Wireless trail cameras that send images of wildlife to a remote device provide a hunter with the location of wildlife outside the hunters’ vision or hearing and negate an animals natural ability to avoid detection. Hunting stakeholder representatives do not feel that this method of hunting aligns with the standards and ethics of fair hunting in B.C

huntingfamily
07-02-2020, 01:11 PM
I read the cell trail cam one as saying you can't use it for fall hunting between those dates.
Seems pretty clear to me...

Treed
07-02-2020, 02:14 PM
It says you can’t use information that comes from a camera with cell. So even if your buddy calls you up and says ‘dude, monster buck on my cam today’ and you go shoot it, you are in violation of the law....and your buddy is gonna be pissed!

358mag
07-02-2020, 03:01 PM
It says you can’t use information that comes from a camera with cell. So even if your buddy calls you up and says ‘dude, monster buck on my cam today’ and you go shoot it, you are in violation of the law....and your buddy is gonna be pissed!
So lets say your buddy driving on the road 2 miles from your t-cam happens to see a" monster buck "shots it , is he still in violation ?

REMINGTON JIM
07-02-2020, 05:01 PM
And now you have to spend $450 and 3 days to take the trapper course to snare hares. Brilliant.

Cost me $60.00 in the 80's 2 Days ! RJ

Treed
07-03-2020, 09:02 AM
So lets say your buddy driving on the road 2 miles from your t-cam happens to see a" monster buck "shots it , is he still in violation ?

Definitely lots of grey area in this!

Treed
07-03-2020, 09:05 AM
Cost me $60.00 in the 80's 2 Days ! RJ
The good old days! My kids are going to so disappointed, we had so much fun snowshoeing around to pick up bunnies in the morning. Hares aren’t even furbearers, so I don’t see why trapping licenses apply as long as you are using the right gauge and keeping the openings fist size.

rocksteady
07-03-2020, 09:22 AM
I don't understand the one about firearms that can be activated electronically.

Is this an issue in other jurisdictions?
Are they talking about a loaded gun on a stand somewhere that you can control with your joystick at home? (I know that was tried in Texas years ago)

I do remember years ago a prototype of an electronic gun came out. Cartridge was made of compressed powder with an electronically ignited "primer", can't remember the name of it though. Never got off the ground.

EDIT... went back through the proposed description and its more geared towards "hi tech optics"... The range finder/reticle interface. Why not just prohib the optics, rather than the firearm??

Danny_29
07-03-2020, 11:21 AM

Are they talking about a loaded gun on a stand somewhere that you can control with your joystick at home? (I know that was tried in Texas years ago)

I do remember years ago a prototype of an electronic gun came out. Cartridge was made of compressed powder with an electronically ignited "primer", can't remember the name of it though. Never got off the ground.

EDIT... went back through the proposed description and its more geared towards "hi tech optics"... The range finder/reticle interface. Why not just prohib the optics, rather than the firearm??

I looked these up on youtube because I'd never heard of them...check it out, pretty crazy technology. I don't understand how anyone can argue these weapons as fair chase.

On the subject of electronic guns, I worked on this exact technology in the Navy...it is well established and I imagine if there was a private market for this a company could make a go at it.

Bugle M In
07-03-2020, 11:51 AM

Honestly, I am not surprised that it got banned in vehicle closed/restricted areas for the purpose of hunting.
I rode and tested one, and "it has a motor"....period.
So, now it's in black and white (or should I say green)

BUT, I AM PERPLEXED why they would "ban them from ATV closed/banned areas"!!!??????????????????
Example, the elephant hill fire closure MU's.
I get they were worried about "some" ATV users going off road due to all the open area to drive thru due to the fire.
BUT, one can still use their vehicle to drive the roads.
SO, WHY CANT ONE HUNT USING AN ELECTRIC BIKE ON THE ROAD????
Makes no sense what so ever.

Honestly, folks should be allowed to use their ATV/ORV's, AS LOND AS THEY STAY ON ROADS.
The fact that they now have plates on them should make it allowable and easy to report if they don't.
(that was a problem to report illegal ATV use in the past, because there were no plates attached, but things are different now)

So, truck on road is ok, but ATV is not and now, an electric bike is not!!????????????
That's totally F'd.
Total vehicle closed/restricted area, that makes sense, it has a motor.

twoSevenO
07-03-2020, 12:41 PM
Honestly, I am not surprised that it got banned in vehicle closed/restricted areas for the purpose of hunting.
I rode and tested one, and "it has a motor"....period.
So, now it's in black and white (or should I say green)

BUT, I AM PERPLEXED why they would "ban them from ATV closed/banned areas"!!!??????????????????
Example, the elephant hill fire closure MU's.
I get they were worried about "some" ATV users going off road due to all the open area to drive thru due to the fire.
BUT, one can still use their vehicle to drive the roads.
SO, WHY CANT ONE HUNT USING AN ELECTRIC BIKE ON THE ROAD????
Makes no sense what so ever.

Honestly, folks should be allowed to use their ATV/ORV's, AS LOND AS THEY STAY ON ROADS.
The fact that they now have plates on them should make it allowable and easy to report if they don't.
(that was a problem to report illegal ATV use in the past, because there were no plates attached, but things are different now)

So, truck on road is ok, but ATV is not and now, an electric bike is not!!????????????
That's totally F'd.
Total vehicle closed/restricted area, that makes sense, it has a motor.

too quiet perhaps, and allows you to sneak up on animals quicker and easier?

other than that, i don't see any other justification.

lightmag
07-03-2020, 01:00 PM
just dont have it hooked to a network sending pics and you can use it as a normal cam

lightmag
07-03-2020, 01:02 PM
nope, has to be info from a "cell camera" , so info from a regular camera and relayed by cell phone is not the same.

lightmag
07-03-2020, 01:03 PM

nope, has to be info from a "cell camera" , so info from a regular camera and relayed by cell phone is not the same.

Moose63
07-03-2020, 03:22 PM
If you reading the regs it only bans them from August 1-dec 10th. The rational was people could get the cell cam photo then go try and hunt it. I know it's slim but that was the line of thought.

Makes sense to me....fair chase.....

Bugle M In
07-03-2020, 09:05 PM
too quiet perhaps, and allows you to sneak up on animals quicker and easier?

other than that, i don't see any other justification.

hmmmm...what happens when trucks become electric and common in the forest????
Yes, they are quiet, but so is a peddle bike (well, if you take care of it)

Motorized vehicle closed area, all fine by me.
But, an area where a truck is permitted, just not ATV, makes no sense.

Bugle M In
07-03-2020, 09:05 PM
So, I didn't see anything about "scopes banned on X-Bows"!!!....lol.
Think somebody got the message....

Harvest the Land
07-03-2020, 09:23 PM
hmmmm...what happens when trucks become electric and common in the forest????
Yes, they are quiet, but so is a peddle bike (well, if you take care of it)

Motorized vehicle closed area, all fine by me.
But, an area where a truck is permitted, just not ATV, makes no sense.

Great point - I was thinking the exact same thing last time I was out. Are they going to ban Electric trucks too?

And another thing I was realizing, is these trucks will be so quiet that while hunting, we hunters who hunt the timber won't be able to hear/know if/where other hunters (road hunters are) either. Sometimes I like knowing if there's other hunters and/or where they are in the general area I'm hunting

Harvest the Land
07-03-2020, 09:24 PM

Absolutely! I wrote a very lengthy and strong worded response on that public questionnaire they had going on in the winter, and I think a shit load of others did as well. We should give them credit for coming to their senses

IronNoggin
07-04-2020, 11:19 AM

Funny how that worked... ;)

Cheers,
Nog

Gateholio
07-04-2020, 01:51 PM

Remington E-Tronx comes to mind.

Ron.C
07-04-2020, 03:05 PM
Absolutely! I wrote a very lengthy and strong worded response on that public questionnaire they had going on in the winter, and I think a shit load of others did as well. We should give them credit for coming to their senses

The credit should goes to each and every one of us that responded and voiced our opinion against such an idiotic agenda item. Without our input, crossbow scopes would be gone and crossbows would be next.

rocksteady
07-04-2020, 03:54 PM
Thx.. never heard of such a thang

Ambush
07-04-2020, 06:09 PM
Yes, yes, we should celebrate the victory. We lost twenty four days of GOS archery moose, but hey if there was a season, we could use a scoped crossbow.

hunter1947
07-04-2020, 06:53 PM
Yup you can what I understand no cams that send pictures electronically to your computer or phone

hunter1947
07-04-2020, 06:55 PM
Oh, and you guys with cell cameras... You can still use them, just not during sept-nov. I am100% ok with that.

Proceed with you bashing at will. The new regs say Aug first to Dec 10th..

hunter1947
07-04-2020, 07:00 PM

Just make sure all cams are in by Aug first your good to go

Gateholio
07-04-2020, 07:13 PM
The credit should goes to each and every one of us that responded and voiced our opinion against such an idiotic agenda item. Without our input, crossbow scopes would be gone and crossbows would be next.

The world is run by those that show up.....

James52
07-04-2020, 08:35 PM
So is a salt block considered "bait"?......region 4

2chodi
07-04-2020, 08:41 PM
The world is run by those that show up.....

I wonder where that quote comes from???

358mag
07-04-2020, 09:10 PM
I wonder where that quote comes from???
Justin Trudeau !

358mag
07-05-2020, 01:20 PM
So its unlawful re #33. To operate,possess,or use information that a drone obtains during,or less that 6 hours before the start of a hunting or trapping expedition. WTF ??????
So you cant use a live cell T-cam from 1 Sep - 30 Nov for hunting but you can use a drone !!!

nelsonob1
07-05-2020, 04:25 PM
So is a salt block considered "bait"?......region 4

Yes.

I'm curious about existing salt bait sites. If the salt was placed pre new regs, whether one can hunt over them? The blocks we use typically last longer than a year, even then, the salt dissolves into the ground and the game digs for it.

We have several sites that were put out in May and June with cameras over them. The regs say you can't feed or bait them. These baits predate the reg. But the regs are silent on hunting over an existing site.

nelsonob1
07-05-2020, 04:38 PM

Just add an extra wheel to make a tricycle.

rocksteady
07-05-2020, 04:52 PM
Yes.

I'm curious about existing salt bait sites. If the salt was placed pre new regs, whether one can hunt over them? The blocks we use typically last longer than a year, even then, the salt dissolves into the ground and the game digs for it.

We have several sites that were put out in May and June with cameras over them. The regs say you can't feed or bait them. These baits predate the reg. But the regs are silent on hunting over an existing site.

I believe existing are legal. It says you may not bait but was not legal until it came into effect.

It also does not aay you cant hjnt over bait, it just says you cant bait

huntingfamily
07-05-2020, 05:01 PM
I believe existing are legal. It says you may not bait but was not legal until it came into effect.

It also does not aay you cant hjnt over bait, it just says you cant bait

So you're saying if it's there previously that it's not bait?

Moose63
07-05-2020, 05:48 PM
So its unlawful re #33. To operate,possess,or use information that a drone obtains during,or less that 6 hours before the start of a hunting or trapping expedition. WTF ??????
So you cant use a live cell T-cam from 1 Sep - 30 Nov for hunting but you can use a drone !!!

That is a f**k up. Drone sales should be brisk.....

huntingfamily
07-05-2020, 05:53 PM
Screw all the technology. How about we all just lace up the boots with a rifle over our shoulders and go hunting?
If you are unable to do that, go for a drive and enjoy your time in the field.
Ethics, fair chase...

Avalanche123
07-05-2020, 06:45 PM
Screw all the technology. How about we all just lace up the boots with a rifle over our shoulders and go hunting?
Ethics, fair chase...

Very well said.

rocksteady
07-05-2020, 07:16 PM

No, i am saying it was put there legally, prior to the new reg, so it was legal then, and probably still us now, as long as no more salt is added.

huntingfamily
07-05-2020, 07:28 PM
No, i am saying it was put there legally, prior to the new reg, so it was legal then, and probably still us now, as long as no more salt is added.

Gotcha. For a bit more context here is the text of the rationale against baiting in the kootenays as there are confirmed cases near there:

Proposed Regulations:*

Prohibit the intentional feeding or baiting of ungulates in the Kootenay region.

Rationale:*

Wildlife managers and professionals have confirmed through research that feeding and baiting of wild ungulates can lead to increased wildlife densities. A higher density of animals increases the potential for transmission of infectious parasites and diseases such as Chronic Wasting Disease (CWD) transmitted by fecal – oral routes, nose to nose contact or through contact with a contaminated environment. CWD prions are shed though the saliva, urine and feces of infected animals and are essentially impossible to destroy once the infectious protein enters the environment. Aggregations of cervids infected with CWD create prion transmission hot-spots from increased prion exposure. Preventing feeding and baiting will help manage wildlife health, including CWD infection and reduce the magnitude of disease outbreaks in general.* CWD in cervids is the wildlife health programs highest priority with recent positive cases of CWD near Libby, Montana (68 km south of USA/Canada border).

In addition, other health issues ay be caused be feeding and baiting. Inappropriate or sudden changes in feed can cause digestive tract upsets in wild ungulates, and increasing the density of other species such as bighorn sheep by feeding can increase the risk of potential for contact with domestic sheep and respiratory disease transmission.*

Preventing feeding in urban areas is also recommended to manage wildlife conflict in urban areas where feeding can contribute to high densities of deer. Intentional feeding of wild ungulates is contributing to wildlife conflict in urban and agricultural areas across the Kootenay Region.

Prohibiting feeding and baiting of cervids is a standard wildlife management response to wildlife health risks, especially for CWD and other transmissible diseases such as bovine tuberculosis. A prohibition on feeding ungulates will reduce the potential for CWD transmission and should help reduce wildlife conflict in problem areas being consistent with urban bylaws in the Region.

nelsonob1
07-05-2020, 11:34 PM

No it's more nuanced. The rule says YOU may not bait. If someone baited or you previously baited your not in breach of the rule.

Rackmastr
07-06-2020, 06:33 AM
Even without going to the Act, the regs state that its "unlawful to bait ungulates". Nothing nuanced about who places the bait.

Ron.C
07-06-2020, 06:46 AM
Even without going to the Act, the regs state that its "unlawful to bait ungulates". Nothing nuanced about who places the bait.

agree and that's my take as well. Good luck to anyone trying to use the "honestly officer, it wasn't me" excuse when they get caught hunting reg4 deer or elk over bait "new/old or otherwise"

fozzy
07-06-2020, 06:54 AM

Under its unlawful:
18. To intentionally feed or attempt to feeddangerous wildlife (cougar, coyote, wolfand bear), except when lawfully engaged inhunting or trapping where baiting is authorized (cougar, coyote and wolf only).

labguy
07-06-2020, 07:22 AM
Ethics, fair chase...

I would absolutely agree with this. Very well said.

rocksteady
07-06-2020, 08:13 AM

The nuance is when the bait (salt) was placed.. Prior to the reg change or not

rocksteady
07-06-2020, 08:14 AM
agree and that's my take as well. Good luck to anyone trying to use the "honestly officer, it wasn't me" excuse when they get caught hunting reg4 deer or elk over bait "new/old or otherwise"

It does not say it is illegal to hunt over bait.

boxhitch
07-06-2020, 09:59 AM

Under its unlawful:
18. To intentionally feed or attempt to feeddangerous wildlife (cougar, coyote, wolfand bear), except when lawfully engaged inhunting or trapping where baiting is authorized (cougar, coyote and wolf only).

Precisely why it is a stupid regulation
Stupid regulations are those that cannot be clearly defined and therefore not properly enforced
If the reg cannot be enforced in black and white terms with no grey area, it is a stupid reg and should never exist
If a regulation exists just for the purpose of imposing some kind of ethic, the reason has to be questioned

rocksteady
07-06-2020, 10:14 AM
Under its unlawful:

That does not apply to ungulates....

huntingfamily
07-06-2020, 10:23 AM
Precisely why it is a stupid regulation
Stupid regulations are those that cannot be clearly defined and therefore not properly enforced
If the reg cannot be enforced in black and white terms with no grey area, it is a stupid reg and should never exist
If a regulation exists just for the purpose of imposing some kind of ethic, the reason has to be questioned

The new regulation doesn't exist for the purpose of imposing an ethic. The baiting is to limit or prevent the spread of CWD. We do not want it to take hold in BC, and should be doing everything possible not to, IMHO.

bruce44
07-06-2020, 10:33 AM
where does it say that? I can't seem to find where it says no bait for ungulates, only dangerous game like bear and wolves.

rocksteady
07-06-2020, 10:35 AM
where does it say that? I can't seem to find where it says no bait for ungulates, only dangerous game like bear and wolves.

Only in Region 4..."It is unlawful to intentionally feed orbait ungulates or turkeys in the Kootenay
Region, except under permit."

Page 48

bruce44
07-06-2020, 11:05 AM
Only in Region 4..."It is unlawful to intentionally feed orbait ungulates or turkeys in the Kootenay

Page 48Ah makes sense. I was only looking at general guidelines and region 7a, 7b and 6

Rackmastr
07-06-2020, 11:47 AM
The nuance is when the bait (salt) was placed.. Prior to the reg change or not

No, that's not the nuance that he was talking about. He made it seem like if someone else placed the bait it was legal. Hell if thats the case I'll have someone place some bear baits for me and should work really well lol.

I know where I stand on all matters to fall under the law. Ill let the rest of people who want to hope for nuances in legislation play that game, which usually ends in jurisprudence for all anyways.

huntingfamily
07-06-2020, 12:01 PM
No, that's not the nuance that he was talking about. He made it seem like if someone else placed the bait it was legal. Hell if thats the case I'll have someone place some bear baits for me and should work really well lol.

I know where I stand on all matters to fall under the law. Ill let the rest of people who want to hope for nuances in legislation play that game, which usually ends in jurisprudence for all anyways.

Exactly. I shake my head in embarrassment at some of the comments from "hunters".
Why do some always look for an out or some technicality to not abide by the intent of a regulation???

rocksteady
07-06-2020, 12:58 PM
I think it is also being put in as a deterrant to urbanites. We have lots of people who feed deer and ducks in town. Right now its only a bylaw contravention, that the officer may or may not be confortable issuing a ticket.

The new legislation give CO powers to do the deed.

bruce44
07-06-2020, 01:49 PM
Exactly. I shake my head in embarrassment at some of the comments from "hunters".
Why do some always look for an out or some technicality to not abide by the intent of a regulation???

I have never had any success hunting elk for 3 years in the peace. I'm all for filling a tag using bait, but if it means CWD, I will gladly stop it. People need to remember that just like farming, hunting has 2 sides. In order for one to harvest, they must also cultivate. Let's not become the blood thirsty kill at all cost stereotypes that many non hunters make us out to be.

Rackmastr
07-06-2020, 02:12 PM
I think it is also being put in as a deterrant to urbanites. We have lots of people who feed deer and ducks in town. Right now its only a bylaw contravention, that the officer may or may not be confortable issuing a ticket.

The new legislation give CO powers to do the deed.

Will put a damper on the larger scale winter feeding programs for sure, which was an intended goal as I understand.

nelsonob1
07-06-2020, 02:20 PM

"Who" and "When" are key. For example, if Oliver placed the bait 2 months ago, he is not in breach of the reg because the rule does not apply retroactively and at that time the rules allowed the placement of the salt lick. If Dave shoots a deer standing over a bait that someone else placed, he's not in breach of the reg, because Dave never baited the ungulate and there is no prohibition of shooting an ungulate attracted to the bait.

If the reg intended to cover these instances it should read, "it is unlawful to bait and/or knowingly hunt over bait...." - then it would have applied regardless of the "who" and "when" the bait was placed.

rocksteady
07-06-2020, 02:41 PM
Nelsonob1...

Exactly.. i guess you explained it better than me

rocksteady
07-06-2020, 02:42 PM
Will put a damper on the larger scale winter feeding programs for sure, which was an intended goal as I understand.

It does say except under permit, so i would assume those types of activities to save from winter kill would be approved

Rackmastr
07-06-2020, 02:43 PM
"Who" and "When" are key. For example, if Oliver placed the bait 2 months ago, he is not in breach of the reg because the rule does not apply retroactively and at that time the rules allowed the placement of the salt lick. If Dave shoots a deer standing over a bait that someone else placed, he's not in breach of the reg, because Dave never baited the ungulate and there is no prohibition of shooting an ungulate attracted to the bait.

If the reg intended to cover these instances it should read, "it is unlawful to bait and/or knowingly hunt over bait...." - then it would have applied regardless of the "who" and "when" the bait was placed.

Enjoy your season man! I spend enough time around legislation every day I dont need to argue it over the internet with someone. Do as you wish, like I said I know how I'll deal with the law and jurisprudence will likely sort the rest out.

So far all I've seen is in the Synopsis, which isn't the actual legislation, but I can figure enough out to know the intent of the law. That's enough for me. Others can enjoy the woods as they like and interpret accordingly.

Rackmastr
07-06-2020, 02:43 PM
It does say except under permit, so i would assume those types of activities to save from winter kill would be approved

My guess is the most part they wont, as it was my understand that local bios have not approved of the actions for a little while, but yep it gives them a lot of freedom to react appropriately.

358mag
07-06-2020, 04:02 PM
http://huntingbc.ca/forum/images/shades_of_green/misc/quote_icon.png Originally Posted by Rackmastr http://huntingbc.ca/forum/images/shades_of_green/buttons/viewpost-right.png (http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?p=2185447#post2185447)
So in Region 4 would all those hay, grain fields off limits to hunting as they could be classified as "bait sites"

hunter1947
07-06-2020, 04:38 PM
I have been reading some of these posts and some are out to lunch ,,the law says no baiting clear and simple by the time hunting season arrives on the 10th of sept it has been almost two months since the regs say no baiting of any sort that's if you put salt or other out before the new regs came in effect clear and simple so I would think that after two months all salt should be gone from within the front of your trail cams and if not by law take out the salt that is still there pack it out next time you go check your trail cam..

huntingfamily
07-06-2020, 04:51 PM
I have been reading some of these posts and some are out to lunch ,,the law says no baiting clear and simple by the time hunting season arrives on the 10th of sept it has been almost two months since the regs say no baiting of any sort that's if you put salt or other out before the new regs came in effect clear and simple so I would think that after two months all salt should be gone from within the front of your trail cams and if not by law take out the salt that is still there pack it out next time you go check your trail cam..

You got it bud. Cheers and good luck in September!

nelsonob1
07-06-2020, 05:08 PM
Enjoy your season man! I spend enough time around legislation every day I dont need to argue it over the internet with someone. Do as you wish, like I said I know how I'll deal with the law and jurisprudence will likely sort the rest out.

So far all I've seen is in the Synopsis, which isn't the actual legislation, but I can figure enough out to know the intent of the law. That's enough for me. Others can enjoy the woods as they like and interpret accordingly.

Enjoy your season too. Just 7 more weeks to archery elk. The best ten days of the year.

caddisguy
07-06-2020, 05:16 PM
Am I the only person bummed out that it is no longer legal to hunt a big game animal with anything other than a rifle, shotgun, muzzle loader or bow? I am actually serious... hear me out.

I mean, admittedly I can't even kill a deer with a rifle to save my life, but I always liked the idea of spear hunting some day. Now this is no longer a legal possibility.

Was spear hunting that much of a problem that animals were actually being injured / lost / wasted?

I wrote in about this regulation change requesting any sort of data supporting a need for the change. Never received a reply, so I am guessing the answer is just more feel-good political pandering (ie: make people thing there is a problem... bambi suffering... make being think you saved bambi... win votes, yay)

RyoTHC
07-06-2020, 05:19 PM
It’s more like, one or two people posted spear hunting on Social media. The snow flakes were appalled that our meat doesn’t come from pixie dust, like theirs produced commercially... they became the vocal minority again complaining until the virtue signalling government swoops in saves the day and buys some more votes !voila, that’s how Canada works.

caddisguy
07-06-2020, 05:22 PM
It’s more like, one or two people posted spear hunting on Social media. The snow flakes were appalled that our meat doesn’t come from pixie dust, like theirs produced commercially... they became the vocal minority again complaining until the virtue signalling government swoops in saves the day and buys some more votes !voila, that’s how Canada works.

Sounds about right

Rackmastr
07-06-2020, 05:28 PM
Enjoy your season too. Just 7 more weeks to archery elk. The best ten days of the year.

No doubt....crazy its that close already!

boxhitch
07-06-2020, 05:31 PM
http://huntingbc.ca/forum/images/shades_of_green/misc/quote_icon.png Originally Posted by Rackmastr http://huntingbc.ca/forum/images/shades_of_green/buttons/viewpost-right.png (http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?p=2185447#post2185447)
So in Region 4 would all those hay, grain fields off limits to hunting as they could be classified as "bait sites" Baiting also implies intent imo. If the crops are planted to attract, they are bait. Try proving intent in court.

boxhitch
07-06-2020, 05:32 PM
My guess is the most part they wont, as it was my understand that local bios have not approved of the actions for a little while, but yep it gives them a lot of freedom to react appropriately.Salmo bighorn feeding comes to mind.

Rackmastr
07-06-2020, 05:54 PM
Salmo bighorn feeding comes to mind.

For sure, really good point I hadn't considered

wifigary
07-06-2020, 06:57 PM

Spear hunting would technically be legal in many of the more rural cities/towns where they have firearms bylaws but didn't ban hand thrown spears or blowguns etc. It was a feasible way to rid the town of a few urban deer

caddisguy
07-06-2020, 07:17 PM
Spear hunting would technically be legal in many of the more rural cities/towns where they have firearms bylaws but didn't ban hand thrown spears or blowguns etc. It was a feasible way to rid the town of a few urban deer

This is my line of thinking as well. With more and more restrictions surrounding firearms and bows in municipalities, road distances on crown land, etc. that spear hunting could trend towards being a more common method of harvesting game.

It is up close and personal by nature. I would doubt a close up jab or short spear throw is any more susceptible to inflicting unnecessary suffering or resulting in loss/waste any more so with a rifle or bow at distances. Any method used comes down to the individual acting responsibly.

Summary is that I believe we have just watched a method of hunting / wildlife management that is positioned to become more relevant in coming years "nipped in the bud" (banned) without any justification or data presented.

That being said, our wildlife policy is dictated by a government which has repeatedly stated quite publicly and boldly that their wildlife decisions are based on "social acceptance" (not necessarily science, data, best interest of wildlife management, ecosystems, etc) so I guess we should not really be all that surprised.

As it stands, spear hunting is no longer an option in BC.

(blow guns are a different story... I believe these are considered prohibited weapons Canada wide, so it has not been an option in recent history)

358mag
07-06-2020, 07:44 PM
Baiting also implies intent imo. If the crops are planted to attract, they are bait. Try proving intent in court.
Going to be interesting for sure .

hawk-i
07-07-2020, 06:38 AM
I read the cell trail cam one as saying you can't use it for fall hunting between those dates.
Seems pretty clear to me...

And a step in the right direction! :)

Island Idiots
07-07-2020, 07:05 AM
I wonder if once the greens are not part of a minority govt and the ndp
had a majority if regulations based on science would return. Doubt it but the liberals will not win the next election. All I can hope for is a majority NDP gov at
this point.

KodiakHntr
07-07-2020, 08:16 AM
Am I the only person bummed out that it is no longer legal to hunt a big game animal with anything other than a rifle, shotgun, muzzle loader or bow? I am actually serious... hear me out.

I mean, admittedly I can't even kill a deer with a rifle to save my life, but I always liked the idea of spear hunting some day. Now this is no longer a legal possibility.

Was spear hunting that much of a problem that animals were actually being injured / lost / wasted?

I wrote in about this regulation change requesting any sort of data supporting a need for the change. Never received a reply, so I am guessing the answer is just more feel-good political pandering (ie: make people thing there is a problem... bambi suffering... make being think you saved bambi... win votes, yay)

Fairly certain you nailed it. For me, spring black bears are the ultimate spear hunting game animal.
Spears are ridiculously effective when you think of them like ultra short range archery tackle.

huntingfamily
07-07-2020, 08:31 AM
I wonder if once the greens are not part of a minority govt and the ndp
had a majority if regulations based on science would return. Doubt it but the liberals will not win the next election. All I can hope for is a majority NDP gov at
this point.

Gawd that's depressing...

Island Idiots
07-07-2020, 08:41 AM
It’s very depressing. Soon BC will be a hunting no go zone. Time to jump
on the train going east.

barongan
07-07-2020, 09:16 AM
thanks for sharing, very helpfullhttps://alreskha.xyz/assets/18/o.png

j270wsm
07-07-2020, 11:35 AM
[QUOTE=rocksteady;2185396]No, i am saying it was put there legally, prior to the new reg, so it was legal then, and probably still us now, as long as no more salt is added.[/QUOTE

BUT OFFICER.....” I bought that pot when it was legal “. Why are you confiscating it and charging me??

It will be the same argument if your caught hunting over bait no matter when or who placed it.

rocksteady
07-07-2020, 01:54 PM
[QUOTE=rocksteady;2185396]No, i am saying it was put there legally, prior to the new reg, so it was legal then, and probably still us now, as long as no more salt is added.[/QUOTE

BUT OFFICER.....” I bought that pot when it was legal “. Why are you confiscating it and charging me??

It will be the same argument if your caught hunting over bait no matter when or who placed it.

Hunting over bait for ungulates is legal.

nelsonob1
07-07-2020, 03:12 PM

That analogy is not correct. The rule does not speak to hunting. It speaks to baiting. There is no rule against hunting over bait. There is a rule starting July 1, 2020 on placing bait.

There is no ambiguity in this. The rule says what it says and you can't be prosecuted because of what you may have lawfully done in the past or someone else has illegally done in the present.

huntingfamily
07-07-2020, 03:30 PM
If it is illegal to bait, how can you hunt over bait?
If there is bait and you are hunting over it, I'd say you're pooched.

rocksteady
07-07-2020, 03:47 PM

How can you be charged for something that is legal?

nelsonob1
07-07-2020, 04:26 PM

Its unlawful to steal potato chips, but it's not unlawful for someone to eat the stolen chips.

Rackmastr
07-07-2020, 04:43 PM
Its unlawful to steal potato chips, but it's not unlawful for someone to eat the stolen chips.

Well.....

S. 354 CC - Posession of Property Obtained by a Crime

huntingfamily
07-07-2020, 04:58 PM

Tell that to the CO. I'm sure he/she will understand (sarcasm)...

huntingfamily
07-07-2020, 05:00 PM
[QUOTE=j270wsm;2185668]

Hunting over bait for ungulates is legal.

Got a link to that for this year in Region 4? Post it for all to see please.

rocksteady
07-07-2020, 05:03 PM
[QUOTE=rocksteady;2185714]

Got a link to that for this year in Region 4? Post it for all to see please.

If you go to the front of the regs under "it is unlawful to...."

There is no mention of hunting ungulates over bait.

j270wsm
07-08-2020, 11:14 AM
The way I see this going......
man made salt lick.....baiting
Pile of apples, corn, etc......baiting
hay bale that fell off someone’s truck or left for horses/cattle.....baiting
ranchers salt block for his cattle......baiting
hunting beside a farmers field........legal because the food/attractant wasn’t placed for the intention of hunting

Walking Buffalo
07-08-2020, 12:24 PM
The way I see this going......
man made salt lick.....baiting
Pile of apples, corn, etc......baiting
hay bale that fell off someone’s truck or left for horses/cattle.....baiting
ranchers salt block for his cattle......baiting
hunting beside a farmers field........legal because the food/attractant wasn’t placed for the intention of hunting

While we wait for the actual legislation to be made available....

Typically legislation exempts in situ agricultural production from being classified as "bait" for the purpose to hunting.

Mauser98
07-08-2020, 01:55 PM

Typically legislation exempts in situ agricultural production from being classified as "bait" for the purpose to hunting.

After searching through the Wildlife Act and Various Regs, I found Ministerial Order M205 signed by the Minister on June 26, 2020. This Order has the effect of amending a bunch of Regs.

Of particular interest is the amendment to the Wildlife Act General Regulation as per Appendix 7. This deals with baiting in Region 4. Scroll down to pages 18-19.

https://www.bclaws.ca/civix/document/id/mo/mo/2020_m205

Moose63
07-08-2020, 02:15 PM

Although, I know landowners that under the guise of agricultural production do it for the sole purpose of attracting and hunting ungulates....pretty easy pickings with that type of set up......

hunter1947
07-13-2020, 11:53 AM
What about natural licks that have been around before any of you were born ,,the deer elk come into these natural licks and lick the ground
pass on any disease to other animals there not going to stop the spread of Mad cow disease or other but by putting in place the law of no
baiting will definitely slow down and diseases passed on by others..

rocksteady
07-13-2020, 12:04 PM
What about natural licks that have been around before any of you were born ,,the deer elk come into these natural licks and lick the ground
pass on any disease to other animals there not going to stop the spread of Mad cow disease or other but by putting in place the law of no
baiting will definitely slow down and diseases passed on by others..

Or... Maybe by less licks being put out, due to legislation, could it not make the critters congregate more at the natural licks?

Who knows? and how could you study that?

hunter1947
07-13-2020, 01:24 PM
Or... Maybe by less licks being put out, due to legislation, could it not make the critters congregate more at the natural licks?

Who knows? and how could you study that?

As you know Mike there is no way to steady over a natural licks unless you put up a trail cam or have someone monitoring the natural lick 24,7 and we know that this won't happen..

I have a trail cam that has been in place now for 9 years its over a natural lick I found this lick when in the forest hunting I just checked my trail cam last week the cam has been out working now for the past month ,,I had 15 thousand pictures on the cam over the time its been out the salt had been gone for over a week so go figure meaning so many deer are licking this natural lick without any salt blocks.
Like I said earlier on my post is the new law in place is only going to slow down the spread of any disease caused by passing of Slava but won't stop the spread intirley..

huntingfamily
07-28-2020, 08:31 AM
There are many new additions to the hunting regulations in BC this year hunters need to be aware of.

In Kootenay Region 4 one of the changes reads,

"It is unlawful to intentionally feed or
bait ungulates or turkeys in the Kootenay

We have confirmed that this means that it will be unlawful to hunt over old baited areas (i.e., human-made salt/mineral bait stations) created prior to the 2020 hunting season. So, prior to the start of the September early archery season if you have a tree stand over an old salt site it will be unlawful to hunt over it this year. This applies to private and public land."

https://www.facebook.com/1430646376992919/posts/3331688190222052/

rocksteady
07-28-2020, 11:34 AM
I believe this will take a violation ticket and a court challenge to be truly factual.

There is no statement in the regulations that make it unlawful to hunt over bait for ungulates. It is just unlawful to bait. How can it be unlawful if it is not stated in the regulation itself or the synopsis?

I think the ban may have been approved prior to the enforcement end being thought through.

rocksteady
07-28-2020, 03:37 PM
I deal with legislation every day.

Enforcement is done based on the " intent of the law", not tge "interpretation " of the law.

Kimber
07-28-2020, 04:22 PM
I found this on the last page of the current Wildlife Act (340/82). Note, that it is not clearly articulated in the synopsis. Anyway, it's the law. Please, correct me if I am wrong.
Source: http://www.quickscribe.bc.ca/secure/pdfs/208.pdf

Division 23 – Baiting and Feeding
(ADD) Jul01/20 Definitions for this Division
23.01 In this Division:"bait" means anything, including meat, cereal, cultivated crops, a restrained animal or any manufactured product or material, that may attract wildlife, but does not include a decoy;"management unit" or "MU" means an area designated as a management unit by the Management Unit Regulation, B.C. Reg. 64/96;"Region 4" means the area within M.U.s 4-1 to 4-9 and 4-14 to 4-40.[en. B.C. Reg. 169/2020, App. 7.]
(ADD) Jul01/20 No baiting or feeding
23.02A person who, in Region 4, intentionally baits or feeds a turkey or an ungulate commits an offence. [en. B.C. Reg. 169/2020, App. 7.][Provisions of the Wildlife Act, RSBC 1996, c. 488, relevant to the enactment of this regulation: sections 1(1)and 108]

rocksteady
07-28-2020, 04:32 PM
You are correct. It says you can not intentionally place bait. It does not say you can not hunt over an existing (2019).

huntingfamily
07-28-2020, 07:10 PM
You are correct. It says you can not intentionally place bait. It does not say you can not hunt over an existing (2019).

That is your opinion. Have you talked to the CO Service to see what they have to say?
Apparently this fellow did.
"We have confirmed that this means that it will be unlawful to hunt over old baited areas (i.e., human-made salt/mineral bait stations) created prior to the 2020 hunting season. So, prior to the start of the September early archery season if you have a tree stand over an old salt site it will be unlawful to hunt over it this year. This applies to private and public land."

rocksteady
07-28-2020, 08:06 PM
I dont need to talk to a CO understand that nowhere in legislation that you can not hunt over an old site.

Again "intent" vs "interpretation"...

The point i am trying to get across is the legislation is badly worded if they plan to enforce anyone hunting over an established salt lick, be it natural or man made

Lastly, the author of that piece The Hunter Conservationist is posting this, which may be his opinion based on what COs may have told him, but that is the interpretation end of the law. The intent of the law states different.

j270wsm
07-28-2020, 10:11 PM
Wouldn’t a man made salt lick be a manufactured product. After all it was made using manufactured salt. Not sure if there is a way of testing that would prove if a salt lick is natural or man made.

wildcatter
08-05-2020, 08:37 PM
I dropped by Reliable the other day and they told me the printed regs will be available sometime in September.

huntingfamily
08-05-2020, 08:49 PM
Some stores have them now.
Great North Precision for one...

BH260
08-07-2020, 07:43 PM
Printed regs are becoming available now. My work got them

HarryToolips
08-07-2020, 09:32 PM
I wonder why the black bear rifle season for region 4 doesn't start until sept 10? I know they have a bow only season sept 1-9 but why not start the rifle season on the 1st like region 3 & 8 so we can hammer more bears, and we know region 4 has no shortage of them...

boxhitch
08-08-2020, 07:38 AM
Likely just to jive with the Sept bow hunts for other critters, an enforcement issue

Glockenspiel
08-12-2020, 02:53 PM
printed regs are out, finally!!!