PDA

View Full Version : Are guided hunts all cancelled this year in B.C.

bearheart
06-27-2020, 07:51 AM
Does COVID 19 restrictions put the Kibosh to guided hunts this years in B.C. (rules about hunting only with family/household members)? Can you get help with game retrieval of large animal taken by solo hunter ? If by some miracle I take a moose or elk, can I get help for some one in retrieving the meat if we social distance? I'm over 70 y.o. so don't tell me to do it all myself, my back wouldn't hack it, those days of 100lb packs are in my rear view mirror now.

Thanks!

ryanb
06-27-2020, 09:35 AM
Are you a BC resident? There are no rules against hunting with whomever you like at present... Lots can change between now and the fall. Recommendations, yes, but no rules.

The guided season is very questionable because 99% of clients are foreign and the current travel restrictions would make it impossible... Again much can change between now and then.

walks with deer
06-27-2020, 09:43 AM
i pack meat for old guys any time i come across it.
learnt a trick or two buy helping the old buggers too...

one time i think the old boy thought i was going to rob him and i am pretty sure he pooped his pants...

i dont think i am a very scary looking dude but the neighbourhood he was hunting in had its issues.

bearheart
06-27-2020, 10:34 AM
Yeah, I'm a B.C. resident. Buddy up north who was a long time guide told me that many outfitters are pretty much shutting down for the season.I have an auction hunt I bought two years ago and so far not getting clear answer from outfitter about the coming season.

I also hunt in the Kootenays near a friend's farm and he and his son help me if I get something in the pack out usually, hence the questions.

walks with deer
06-27-2020, 11:08 AM
if most are it may be a great year for sheep hunting.

boxhitch
06-27-2020, 07:03 PM
Must be tough for g/o's right now, not knowing whether to get geared up and staffed or not
They will have a time getting in their tfw's let alone clients
Depending on the type of hunt you bought, it still could happen

bearheart
06-27-2020, 08:37 PM
From the Gov't website re Covid regs, poor English and all:"If you hunt with people other then members of your household, ensure that you can maintain 2m physical distancing, including travelling in different vehicles."

That sounds hard to do in a guided hunt or even in a group hunt/family hunt. It says "household" not relative.

"

srthomas75
06-27-2020, 09:05 PM
I think this is only a recommendation as it would be tough to enforce and prosecute in my mind. Even by the ministry putting these recommendations in print it will make some people not participate this year, which will reduce the chances of disease etc...

From the Gov't website re Covid regs, poor English and all:"If you hunt with people other then members of your household, ensure that you can maintain 2m physical distancing, including travelling in different vehicles."

That sounds hard to do in a guided hunt or even in a group hunt/family hunt. It says "household" not relative.

"

palmer
06-27-2020, 10:26 PM
The 14 day isolation will also make it very hard for US clients. Turns a 10 day hunt into a 24 day trip

bearheart
06-28-2020, 11:09 AM
I think this is only a recommendation as it would be tough to enforce and prosecute in my mind. Even by the ministry putting these recommendations in print it will make some people not participate this year, which will reduce the chances of disease etc...

Please note, I'm Not trying to start an argument, just trying to avoid unpleasant encounters with armed men in uniforms. But if you and your buddy are going down the road in your truck, with a legally harvested tagged deer in the back, road check,C.O. says "hmmm you two don't live at same address, in fact you live in different towns. And.... you are in the same vehicle!?". ( My truck is a small Nissan so it would require one of us be riding back with the deer to get that 2m separation.) Again not trying to be difficult, but it would be good to know before the fact. Cause next the C.O. says, are you aware of the Covid 219 guidelines in the reg?

what do you tell the C.O. at that time?

Also keep in mind , come October/November Covid19 situation likely to be worse with the overlap with the flu season leading to difficult situation ( you come down with old fashion flu, your tests for Covid comes back positive, but in fact you happen to be an asymptomatic carrier who also happens to have the old fashion flu or just a really bad cold). I am a health care worker so I know a bit about this sort of thing. Don't really want to swerve into the politics of Covid,just trying to sort out my fall hunting plans. I am getting old, love to hunt, but I need to stay safe too. Okedokey?

Thank you gentlemen.

bensonvalley
06-28-2020, 11:53 AM
Until 2m distancing is a legal requirement you have nothing to worry about with respect to a CO’s question in the scenario you described.

Please note, I'm Not trying to start an argument, just trying to avoid unpleasant encounters with armed men in uniforms. But if you and your buddy are going down the road in your truck, with a legally harvested tagged deer in the back, road check,C.O. says "hmmm you two don't live at same address, in fact you live in different towns. And.... you are in the same vehicle!?". ( My truck is a small Nissan so it would require one of us be riding back with the deer to get that 2m separation.) Again not trying to be difficult, but it would be good to know before the fact. Cause next the C.O. says, are you aware of the Covid 219 guidelines in the reg?

what do you tell the C.O. at that time?

Also keep in mind , come October/November Covid19 situation likely to be worse with the overlap with the flu season leading to difficult situation ( you come down with old fashion flu, your tests for Covid comes back positive, but in fact you happen to be an asymptomatic carrier who also happens to have the old fashion flu or just a really bad cold). I am a health care worker so I know a bit about this sort of thing. Don't really want to swerve into the politics of Covid,just trying to sort out my fall hunting plans. I am getting old, love to hunt, but I need to stay safe too. Okedokey?

Thank you gentlemen.

boxhitch
06-29-2020, 02:02 PM
GOABC has a SOP doc for g/o's to use with the c-19 situation, shows how they can still operate, with restrictions.
Just like other industries, they have it covered.,

bearheart
07-02-2020, 10:05 PM
GOABC has a SOP doc for g/o's to use with the c-19 situation, shows how they can still operate, with restrictions.
Just like other industries, they have it covered.,

I read the document.Weak tea I'm afraid. In a bush camp, the outfitters are going to provide 1 tent per hunter in camp? Ready access to hot water for hand washing?By Work Safe B.C. standards there will need to be antiviral grade cleaning wipes or similar readily available to disinfect any shared hard surfaces after every contact. "If you are sick stay home" , o.k., if you are in the prodromal stage the infection, when you are asymptomatic but shedding virus.....

They mention "plexiglass partitions"...... in a hunting camp? cook tent? I am finding it difficult to find plan credible. Especially if a significant percentage of people in the hunting population believe the pandemic is a hoax and are unlikely to follow these recommendations.

Maybe this is about helping the outfitters keep their fees if clients question the wisdom of hunting in this fashion this season..... if a 4hr airplane flight is dangerous , infection wise, a 7-12 day hunt in bush conditions in a group of unrelated individuals from far flung communities , living in close proximity for the duration of the hunt, sounds sketchy.

bighornbob
07-02-2020, 10:23 PM
I don’t think the hunters from out of country would even be allowed in right now.

bhb

Darksith
07-02-2020, 10:35 PM
The 14 day isolation will also make it very hard for US clients. Turns a 10 day hunt into a 24 day trip
They are isolating in the mountains

jac
07-03-2020, 08:07 AM
With the covid numbers in the USA, Americans being the bulk of hunters I wouldn’t hold my breath on this one. Obviously any Canadian hunter will be a go if the outfitter is open

madcalfe
07-16-2020, 06:35 AM
im pretty sure all non Canadian residents will have to wait till next year for guided hunts. but any Canadian resident that have purchased guided hunts are still able to do them. i know for flying out for my sheep hunt they take your temp and make your wear a mask, and after the hunt if your showing any signs of being sick that the float plane isn't allowed to pick you up as per transport BC guidelines and that STARS has to be called to airlift you out..

palmer
07-16-2020, 08:57 AM
They are isolating in the mountains

Except you have to do it alone, tough to do when u are guided

boxhitch
08-14-2020, 07:21 PM
CANADIAN OUTFITTER SHOWCASE

Show put on by Wild TV, gives an opportunity for g/o's to reach out to Cdn hunters
First? episode had a couple of BC g/o's and then others from east
Advertising looked like Koehler created the idea, kudos if thats the case

BigSlapper
08-14-2020, 09:18 PM
No legal "requirements" .... merely recommendations. Just be smart is all ...

Anerp
08-20-2020, 08:36 AM
If your a B.C resident and want to use an outfitter for a hunt but don’t want it to be a guided hunt can you still use the outfitters tag or does the guide have to be with you at all times?

Anerp
08-20-2020, 08:39 AM
If your a B.C resident and want to use an outfitter for a hunt but don’t want it to be a guided hunt can you still use the outfitters tag or does the guide have to be with you at all times.

northernguy
08-20-2020, 04:38 PM
I checked into this...BC residents hunting under a Guide Outfitters quota need to be guided.

boxhitch
08-21-2020, 09:19 AM
The rule says a guide must be with the client, it doesn't deferentiate res or non-res

northernguy
08-21-2020, 11:31 AM
^^^^Yep. That's what they are hanging their hat on. Fair enough I guess, but it would help the outfitters out if they didn't have to provide a guide to BC residents. It would make a huge difference on the costs.

Still better than Alberta was up until this week...they just amended their regulations to allow Resident Hunters to use a GO quota at all! Up until then, they couldn't!

boxhitch
08-22-2020, 10:49 AM
I was surprised to read that news too, didn't know they were restricted

Many (some?) g/o's will do drop camps for BC residents, essentially acting as transporters. but as soon as you involve the camp, staff, boats, horses etc there are xtra expenses