PDA

View Full Version : Tuchodi river sept 12-23 tips and experiences

Huntingtyler123
06-25-2020, 02:39 PM
Wasn’t lucky enough to draw an leh but we have a group of 4 including myself that are going for moose or elk sept 12-23 with river jet adventure.

main reason of posting this is - has anyone on this site done this trip before? And what would you do differently if you could do this trip again?

I am beyond excited for this trip. I’ve never done anything like this before and to be that far north in BC. Any tips you could offer for this hunting trip? Like what to pack or not to pack? Type of weather at this time of year? Any help is appreciated!
thank you
Tyler

pg83
06-25-2020, 03:04 PM
Haven't been on the Tuchodi, but have used Riverjet before. Top-notch outfit.

- The gear(and food) you bring depends on your hunting style. Are you going to wall-tent at the river or spike out in the hills?
- Weather can be all over the map. Prepare for rain and snow, but you might get nothing but sunshine.
- River will be busy, get away from it.

Take plenty of photos/vids, stay safe, enjoy the awesomeness that is Northern BC!

Huntingtyler123
06-25-2020, 03:33 PM
My group has to get together again soon to discuss but I believe once we get dropped off we will hike in some away from the river to make camp. No wall tents just two tents to sleep two each. I will be taking a lot of vid and photos for sure! Thanks pg83

pg83
06-25-2020, 03:49 PM
Nice!

What's the experience level like for the group?

We messed a ton of stuff up on our first Northern adventure and we got skunked, but it is still one of my favourite trips!

Huntingtyler123
06-25-2020, 04:44 PM
Nice!

What's the experience level like for the group?

We messed a ton of stuff up on our first Northern adventure and we got skunked, but it is still one of my favourite trips!

my buddy and I are the same level of experience (novice). Friends brother is more new, His dad has hunted his entire life and this is kinda his “last” big hunting trip for him.
if we get anything it’ll be the icing on the cake. The experience out there will just be crazy cool!

tyreguy
06-25-2020, 04:59 PM
take a fishing rod - the grayling and trout are plentiful in most places

umos
06-25-2020, 06:15 PM
I went up the Tuchodi middle of September last year. Jason will help get you to a good spot for what you are looking for. Up the Tuchodi its mostly elk, the lower Muskwa has more moose. We spent the whole trip off the river, with a small camp in the hills. I don't have much for tips, as we got skunked. There were good game trails to follow, but we only saw one cow and heard one bull. It is a tough hunt, and the better shape you are in the easier the hiking will be. Pack as light as possible, and don't forget a good water filter, as water can be tough to find up in the hills. The best thing I did before going was to go in with plan of coming out happy carrying nothing more than the experience of being in that awesome landscape.

spear
06-25-2020, 07:30 PM
take a fishing rod - the grayling and trout are plentiful in most places

Thats the truth, can't keep the bull trout so catch and release only.

Plan on hiking at least 4 hours from the river to hit "good country", bring a big net and good deet.

To find bigger bulls I would plan on spiking out for as many days as you can from your Basecamp.

PressurePoint
06-25-2020, 07:53 PM
I have hunted the Tuchodi before and all I can say, is it is literally the purest definition of Gods Country. Lots of game. Actually, the time you are going can be a pain in the ass since all the bulls will be screaming all fricken night long. Which is incredible to listen to but can get tiring listening to all those stanky bulls all night.

srupp
06-25-2020, 10:27 PM
Good luck T and the rest of your group..listen to your guide..don't guide the guide..part of the cost... $$$$ is him knowing the country. .the game..and dropping you off in decent territory
you guys have what it takes..go..have fun..sight your rifles in to be certain..shoot straight
And don't forget to smile for the camera.
Cheers
Steven..we met once or twice

diharv
06-26-2020, 01:28 AM
I've been up there twice, 2001 and 2004 and we came out with a six point bull both times. The first time I went up with one other guy who had the boat and were short of the lakes but there was nobody further upriver. We were past Margison creek I think its called. The lower Tuchodi and Deaddog area are grand central station with other partys. The second time up, not as far as the first time but still way past Deaddog. Both times we camped right beside the river. It won't be very cold but you could experience anything and it does get very windy in that valley. The first time up there was two of us in a small dome tent but we took a roll of poly and a stapler to make a sheltered mess hall area. If there are four of you, you have to take enough to make a comfortable base camp, especially if you are going to be there ten days. Game trails are everywhere. Set out before daylight and get out there and cover the country. If you are lucky you may catch a bull by the river but be prepared to get up high. I almost got run over by a cow elk on a game trail so be careful, be on the alert for grizzlies too. It is beautiful country for sure and basically the setting for a dream hunt. I would go again in a heartbeat.

Huntingtyler123
06-26-2020, 09:02 AM
Thanks everyone for your insight. Really helps me out a lot. Didn’t even think to pack a fishing rod lol. For the couple people who pm’d me I’ll be in touch, busy up in Lillooet right now preparing for a wedding

HankBC
06-26-2020, 02:47 PM
Enjoy the wedding and tell those folks at the campground I wanna catch some sturgeon!! Open the launch!! lol
I may be up in the area at the same time. Best of luck to ya

Thanks everyone for your insight. Really helps me out a lot. Didn’t even think to pack a fishing rod lol. For the couple people who pm’d me I’ll be in touch, busy up in Lillooet right now preparing for a wedding

Huntingtyler123
06-26-2020, 04:34 PM
Enjoy the wedding and tell those folks at the campground I wanna catch some sturgeon!! Open the launch!! lol
I may be up in the area at the same time. Best of luck to ya

you can get day permits! River monster is open now too if you want to pay lol thanks for the well wishes