PDA

View Full Version : Days old satellite imagery

umos
06-23-2020, 10:07 AM
Here is a link to view satellite imagery that has been collected within the last few days, https://apps.sentinel-hub.com/sentinel-playground/. You can click off the satelite imagery in the top right and then pan to your site using openstreet maps. The resolution of the sentinel and landsat (10m and 15m) sensors are not great for scouting habitat, but I find it really useful for checking for current access to mountain sites, as snow shows up really well, or seeing if there has been any recent fires or logging.

Maybe someone will find this useful.

adriaticum
06-23-2020, 10:16 AM
Cool thanks!

Harvest the Land
06-23-2020, 11:30 AM
Awesome thanks for the link. Some of my hunting spots Google Earth hasn't updated the imagery since 2003 and man do things look quite a bit different in there now. But this updated imagery accurately reflects what it looks like now. Definitely highlights the newer cutblocks too. Much appreciated

boilerroom
06-23-2020, 01:55 PM
much appreciated! I've been trying to find layers for Google Earth and this is exactly what I wanted!

Scance
06-23-2020, 08:50 PM
very thankful !

Cheers

Moose63
06-24-2020, 06:21 AM
Here is a link to view satellite imagery that has been collected within the last few days, https://apps.sentinel-hub.com/sentinel-playground/. You can click off the satelite imagery in the top right and then pan to your site using openstreet maps. The resolution of the sentinel and landsat (10m and 15m) sensors are not great for scouting habitat, but I find it really useful for checking for current access to mountain sites, as snow shows up really well, or seeing if there has been any recent fires or logging.

Maybe someone will find this useful.

How do you get the street view to stay on?

umos
06-24-2020, 07:55 AM
On the top right of the screen there is a picture of a satelite. Click on that, then uncheck the sentinel data, that will leave only the street maps.

Vini
06-24-2020, 08:19 AM
Not sure how current these maps are but fatmap.com has some really nice satellite imagery. Also allows for 3D mode

Arctic Lake
06-24-2020, 08:35 AM
Thanks for posting that Umos ! I would think with all that space junk orbiting the planet the general public could view current imagery . Is it because of security issues or money ?
Arctic Lake

umos
06-24-2020, 08:57 AM
Not sure, probably both, and a bit of inertia too. It takes initiative to clean and process the data in real time to make it accessible to the public. The data at that link are from NASA and the Europeans, and are updated every day, which is pretty cool. A private company, Planet Labs, now has more space junk up there than any space agency, and gets the highest resolution and most frequent images, but they sell that for huge dollars, nothing free from them unless you are an academic.

Zwickerj
06-24-2020, 10:50 AM
Thank you so much, very helpful.

Mark-R
06-24-2020, 11:09 AM
Cheers mate!
According to my area the snow line looks a few weeks old. Still better than some of the old imagery google has.

Dash
06-24-2020, 11:12 AM
Not sure how current these maps are but fatmap.com has some really nice satellite imagery. Also allows for 3D mode

Are these updated regularly as well? The quality looks great.

Also, thank you very much umos. These are great.

umos
06-24-2020, 01:10 PM
Glad this is useful. On the top left of the page there is a little calendar symbol, clicking on that shows you the dates images are available for, and you can select whatever date is circled. It looks like the satellite passes every 3 days or so, and the data are uploaded the same day. So the latest image should be within the last 3 days. At least for the sentinel imagery, which is the default display.

Treed
06-25-2020, 09:25 PM
Damn! Thanks so much. I just delayed field work based on the imagery and got the client to agree because I sent a downloaded image!!! Very useful!

HankBC
06-26-2020, 03:24 PM
I'll save this one, nice find buddy. Appreciate the help!

Glad this is useful. On the top left of the page there is a little calendar symbol, clicking on that shows you the dates images are available for, and you can select whatever date is circled. It looks like the satellite passes every 3 days or so, and the data are uploaded the same day. So the latest image should be within the last 3 days. At least for the sentinel imagery, which is the default display.

elch jager
06-27-2020, 10:41 AM
much appreciated, Thx.

randymac
06-28-2020, 07:32 AM
I cant seem to zoom in as close and have as much detail and resoulution as I can with Google earth. Is there some setting to change?

ActionJackson017
06-28-2020, 08:16 AM
^^ OP explained the resolution isn't great whereas the advantage is the imagery is being refreshed every couple of days. Lots of areas in Google Maps the imagery hasn't been updated for years.

Moose63
06-28-2020, 09:12 AM
On the top right of the screen there is a picture of a satelite. Click on that, then uncheck the sentinel data, that will leave only the street maps.

Thanks umos!

Arctic Lake
06-28-2020, 09:28 AM
This is what makes a great site ! Wether it’s hunting , fishing or another hobby . People sharing knowledge or information .
We need a LIKE BUTTON .
Arctic Lake

Dash
06-28-2020, 12:07 PM
Are these updated regularly as well? The quality looks great.

Also, thank you very much umos. These are great.

Just curious if anyone knows a way to tell or change the date on Fatmaps? I can confirm it's at least 3 years out of date sadly.

Regardless, super happy to have the one the op posted.

randymac
06-28-2020, 07:40 PM
^^ OP explained the resolution isn't great whereas the advantage is the imagery is being refreshed every couple of days. Lots of areas in Google Maps the imagery hasn't been updated for years. thanks, I guess I got so exited to check it out I didn't
read his whole post.

boxhitch
01-27-2021, 12:18 PM
Here it is again

Salty
01-27-2021, 04:25 PM
Man, this could have saved me a few misadventures :lol:

Thanks for the bump boxhitch and thanks for the link umos.