PDA

View Full Version : Sikkani chief bison draw help

DBASTOCK
06-22-2020, 09:54 PM
Hey guys, I was lucky enough to draw a bison tag and looking at the sikkani chief area and looking for the best way to get land access. Anyone have any experience or suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

Ride Red
06-22-2020, 09:57 PM
What time of year? Are you tenting or looking for a place to stay? Sikanni River outfitters has a beautiful place to stay and hunt from. Great people, great food and comfortable.

DBASTOCK
06-22-2020, 10:26 PM
We have 4 guys, wall tent quads and our draw is from is beginning of October. Would really like to walk tent as we enjoy that style of hunt but unsure of our limitations for access and need for atv trailers to haul the gear in with.

nedarb2
06-22-2020, 10:26 PM
What time of year? Are you tenting or looking for a place to stay? Sikanni River outfitters has a beautiful place to stay and hunt from. Great people, great food and comfortable.

owned by the prophet??? Native band now.

Ride Red
06-23-2020, 05:46 AM
owned by the prophet??? Native band now.

Interesting? Their Facebook page only posted till Feb 24 of this year too. Mike passed away back in Aug/18, so hopefully the new owners carry it on. Another beautiful place in BC. RIP Mike.

cameron0518
06-23-2020, 07:04 AM
Watch out for Grizzlies. They are plentiful there and often get into people's animals.

DBASTOCK
06-23-2020, 07:08 AM
Didn’t realize that Mike he passed. Did you say that the prophet band bought the ranch?

nedarb2
06-23-2020, 10:52 PM
Didn’t realize that Mike he passed. Did you say that the prophet band bought the ranch?

yes they have. And have either hired or leased out the outfitting business. Most people are around for this season to train/teach the new people taking over

primmed99
06-24-2020, 06:28 AM
Sad way for that outfit to change hands, Mike and Dixie were a integral part of the wood work, be a shame if the new owners don't carry on in the same fashion.....time will tell

Thunderstix
06-24-2020, 09:49 AM
I will be moving my camp in for late elk, on Oct 3rd, if you are camped at airstrip I will drop by, just need to know how to identify you....you may have already got your bison by then, but if not, I may be able to help you. I know the area pretty well.
PS. I am bitter that you got a draw and I didn’t, but I will be over it by Oct 3rd :wink:

dewert
06-25-2020, 09:20 AM
I am also wondering about access in to the 7-42 C zone. Our draw is mid October and we have quads but I know we can only stay on the designated trails and the trails don't go into the C zone. Snow mobiles are exempt from ATV trail rules I understand? Is there usually enough snow in October for snow mobiles? Any rules on dirt bikes? We are not experienced horsemen so trying to avoid that route. Covering that much ground and packing out those massive animals on foot would be quite the task...

DBASTOCK
06-25-2020, 04:00 PM
I will be moving my camp in for late elk, on Oct 3rd, if you are camped at airstrip I will drop by, just need to know how to identify you....you may have already got your bison by then, but if not, I may be able to help you. I know the area pretty well.
PS. I am bitter that you got a draw and I didn’t, but I will be over it by Oct 3rd :wink:

LOL sounds good. Haven't nailed down a plan for camp location. Airstrip is option one but we have a few other factors to consider still.

Thunderstix
06-25-2020, 06:01 PM
roger that

LOL sounds good. Haven't nailed down a plan for camp location. Airstrip is option one but we have a few other factors to consider still.

Thunderstix
06-25-2020, 06:03 PM
The rule is for all motorized vehicles except for snowmobiles....there has never been enough snow in October that I have ever seen.

I am also wondering about access in to the 7-42 C zone. Our draw is mid October and we have quads but I know we can only stay on the designated trails and the trails don't go into the C zone. Snow mobiles are exempt from ATV trail rules I understand? Is there usually enough snow in October for snow mobiles? Any rules on dirt bikes? We are not experienced horsemen so trying to avoid that route. Covering that much ground and packing out those massive animals on foot would be quite the task...

landphil
06-25-2020, 06:44 PM
The rule is for all motorized vehicles except for snowmobiles....there has never been enough snow in October that I have ever seen.

There was enough for some guys to bring out the sleds last October but mainly rental machines :wink: We stuck with quads and tire chains. Had 12” the third morning of our hunt. (Last half of Oct.)

2chodi
06-25-2020, 08:11 PM
Snow machines are not allowed in the M-K until Nov 1

landphil
06-25-2020, 08:43 PM
Snow machines are not allowed in the M-K until Nov 1

Incorrect. You DO have to follow all other motor vehicle restrictions from April 16 to Oct. 31 though, IE, stay on the designated trails or within the specified distance.

Section 2, subsections 3 to 5 apply to all motor vehicles, including snowmobiles.

http://www.bclaws.ca/civix/document/id/complete/statreg/23_187_2003

https://www2.gov.bc.ca/assets/gov/farming-natural-resources-and-industry/natural-resource-use/land-water-use/crown-land/land-use-plans-and-objectives/northeast-region/muskwa-kechika-ma/muskwa-kechika_access_mngt_area_map_mk2018.pdf

2chodi
06-25-2020, 08:55 PM
You can use a snow machine on the designated routes I suppose if you want snow or no snow, but outside of the designated routes:

(2)
Despite subsection (1), a person does not commit an offence if he or she uses or operates a snowmobile weighing less than 500 kg within the management area during the period November 1 to April 15.

Incorrect. You DO have to follow all other motor vehicle restrictions from April 16 to Oct. 31 though, IE, stay on the designated trails or within the specified distance.

Section 2, subsections 3 to 5 apply to all motor vehicles, including snowmobiles.

http://www.bclaws.ca/civix/document/id/complete/statreg/23_187_2003

https://www2.gov.bc.ca/assets/gov/farming-natural-resources-and-industry/natural-resource-use/land-water-use/crown-land/land-use-plans-and-objectives/northeast-region/muskwa-kechika-ma/muskwa-kechika_access_mngt_area_map_mk2018.pdf

REMINGTON JIM
06-25-2020, 09:00 PM
Watch out for Grizzlies. They are plentiful there and often get into people's animals.

IF a Grizzly is in your Stuff shoot him ! Fire a warning shot into his Head ! jmo RJ

landphil
06-25-2020, 09:10 PM
You can use a snow machine on the designated routes I suppose if you want snow or no snow, but outside of the designated routes:

(2)
Despite subsection (1), a person does not commit an offence if he or she uses or operates a snowmobile weighing less than 500 kg within the management area during the period November 1 to April 15.

Yup. Exactly.

dewert
06-25-2020, 11:17 PM
So just to be clear, even if there was enough snow for our time period in October, there is no motorized vehicle we could take off the trail and into Zone C? Our options are horse or foot...?

eatram
06-25-2020, 11:34 PM
No engine unless your enjun

DBASTOCK
06-28-2020, 08:39 PM
Ain’t that the truth

browningboy
06-28-2020, 10:42 PM
Man sounds like the bison hunt went south? If one can’t simply go up there with some ATVs and get your meat, why even put it out there? They changed the zones, one is useless and not sure of the other...been putting in since 1995 and nothing, but with these new zones may not bother anymore..

Dougielightning
06-29-2020, 10:42 AM
Hello all, we too,(my daughter and I) have drawn bison October 1, If there’s someone who has time and willingness to share info on accommodations, both in cabins lodge or a good area to plan on wall tents to camp it would be very appreciated. She is well accustomed to camping and hiking as she has hiked Tuchodi for elk but would really like to prepare for a successful hunt. Zone is 42-c and am open to all ideas. Pm please with number thanks in advance

DBASTOCK
06-29-2020, 04:33 PM
If you take a good look at the regs and read about the bison in the area, you’ll find they’ve changed the zones to basically stop the spread of the bison beyond the north and south boundaries of the new LEH. If you look north and south of the LEH boundaries, bison is actually open, no LEH required now. They’re trying to keep a strong herd in that area and not have it spill out.

wallz
09-04-2020, 09:55 AM
How likely to actually find any bison in the north and south areas around the LEH tho?

I have a few days to spend up there, (Sat-Mon) until the rest of the group, with LEH tags comes in. Wondering if I should bother with a tag for the GOS. Will be in the north area above LEH zone, but will concentrate on moose.

6 K
09-04-2020, 10:23 AM
I'm also looking for accommodation possibilities but for Nov. 4th-19th. I have heard there cabins for rent from the Blueberry band. Anyone know if that is still possible?

tyyota
09-04-2020, 01:07 PM
I'm also looking for accommodation possibilities but for Nov. 4th-19th. I have heard there cabins for rent from the Blueberry band. Anyone know if that is still possible?

As of a couple weeks ago Vern says they are renting cabins and allowing access to the ranch (for their fee).

OctavianP
09-25-2020, 08:28 PM
Hello everyone.
Can anyone help me with some direction how to get to the famous airstrip.
We got a LEH for bison beginning October 16 on 7-42D and we are trying to find a spot to camp around there.
Nobody in our group is familiar with the area and we are thinking that we might be able to drive the campers to the airstrip that everyone is talking about.
If anyone knows and is willing to share some directions how we can get there will be greatly appreciated.
And also we are willing to rent a cabin in that are also but I couldn't find anything online so info on that will be very helpful also.
Thank you very much.

Dour
09-25-2020, 09:35 PM
Maps are easy to get. There is a place in Richmond that’s sells great maps on areas of bc . You might find what your looking For there .im sure There are probably a few airstrips in 42 Or maybe just one old ******* that you need to find on your own all over grown like a perfect picture good luck up there.