PDA

View Full Version : Rain Gear

Darksith
06-17-2020, 09:13 PM
If you could buy 1 set of rain gear that would be you're go to for most of the BC hunting season (maybe not August/Early Sept down south) and hunting up north in mid-late sept, and central BC in Oct Nov for deer...what would you choose?

Im looking at Sitka Stormfront, Kuiu doesn't look like it will be a fit for me. Any other suggestions or rain gear/hunting outer layer that is just exceptional and will hopefully be a buy it once kinda idea

never.truly.lost
06-18-2020, 07:04 AM
Helly Hansen Impertech hands down. No need to baby it, can sit by a fire and not worry about getting ember holes (fix with shoe goo and duct tape), and works in the brush line. Above treeline you could go with a membrane based setup but most of BC is in the woodline and rubber is the way to go.

I have Arcteryx/OTTE layers as well but for the bush those Helly's are perfect.

sako79
06-18-2020, 07:51 AM
Helly Hansen Impertech hands down. No need to baby it, can sit by a fire and not worry about getting ember holes (fix with shoe goo and duct tape), and works in the brush line. Above treeline you could go with a membrane based setup but most of BC is in the woodline and rubber is the way to go.

I have Arcteryx/OTTE layers as well but for the bush those Helly's are perfect.

That's what I've been using and it's been great but I would not buy it again because I found out they are Antihunters supporters

decker9
06-18-2020, 07:57 AM
Iv been on the sitka for years, and will never change.

two years ago, I ripped my pant side zipper off my cloudburst pants (snagged a branch when running through the shintangle) which I had about 4-5 hard years on already. Sitka sent me a new set of stormfront’s on warranty, but they didn’t look after the duty charge when they shipped them. I contacted sitka, they said if I paid the duty, I could keep them and they would send another cloudburst set free of charge. Just goes to show, the big $$ is worth the customer service. I was able to stitch my old set back together as well.

I sold the stormfronts, I didn’t care for the straps at the ankles, seemed like a tripping hazard. I roll with the cloudburst pants and dew point jacket. The dew point is just a shell, but makes layering easy. The cloudburst pants are a good middle between light and durable. My dewpoint jacket is pushing 5-6-7 years old, but still keeps me dry.

buy once cry once.

whitlers
06-18-2020, 08:02 AM
I have the HH rubbers and Sitka Cloudburst jacket and packable but strong Dew Point pants. If I'm moose hunting or in the thick stuff you can't really beat the HH. If I plan on hiking a bit or for longer adventures I take the Sitka. My uncle runs the Arcteryx Leaf stuff and hes happy with it. All that being said if I had to do it over I would have just bout the Stormfront suit and called it done. Its really a do it all rain gear setup from what I have heard time and time again.

Avalanche123
06-18-2020, 08:10 AM
I have used Arcteryx for the past twenty years for both my occupations. I have been exposed to numerous brands too and Kuiu is by far the most popular. I like the fact they have non-camo patterns too. However last Fall I was exposed to First Lite and wow (Steve Rinella of Meat Eater brand) I was impressed. So much so I purchased the SEAK jacket and pants in non-camo. It also gets very good reviews. You can't go wrong with Arcteryx (non-hunting company), Kuiu, or First Lite and it becomes personal preference if you are after a particular camo pattern....which rules out Arcteryx.... Good luck!

Bustercluck
06-18-2020, 08:32 AM
I’ve had the Sitka downpour for a few years now and it’s the best rain coat I’ve had. It’s a little heavy for backpacking, but definitely worth it. I like how big and rigid the hood is. It’s goretex with a laminated soft shell on the outside to keep the noise down.

warnniklz
06-18-2020, 08:46 AM
Iv been on the sitka for years, and will never change.

two years ago, I ripped my pant side zipper off my cloudburst pants (snagged a branch when running through the shintangle) which I had about 4-5 hard years on already. Sitka sent me a new set of stormfront’s on warranty, but they didn’t look after the duty charge when they shipped them. I contacted sitka, they said if I paid the duty, I could keep them and they would send another cloudburst set free of charge. Just goes to show, the big $$ is worth the customer service. I was able to stitch my old set back together as well.

I sold the stormfronts, I didn’t care for the straps at the ankles, seemed like a tripping hazard. I roll with the cloudburst pants and dew point jacket. The dew point is just a shell, but makes layering easy. The cloudburst pants are a good middle between light and durable. My dewpoint jacket is pushing 5-6-7 years old, but still keeps me dry.

buy once cry once.

I always forget to ask you what you're running. Now I know.

On that note, I'd follow Decker on his recommendations when I upgrade from my helly hansen impratech pants and carhart breathable jacket that is a little short in the sleeves and allows my other layers to suck up water...

jac
06-18-2020, 09:04 AM
I have been using outdoor research foray jacket and pants. Been very happy with them my buddy who has kuiu stuff just replaced with OR

RackStar
06-18-2020, 09:40 AM
I’ve had chugach and impertech

love both, Sold kuiu it was too small. Would I buy again? In a heart beat. But it’s 900 bucks, almost afraid to wear it.

I love my HH for the fact that you can beat the shit out of it, not worry too much. And very waterproof. Just doesn’t breathe. Strip down to base layers before your hike!

tdot
06-18-2020, 10:10 AM
Thats too bad that Kuiu doesnt fit you. I have a 6 year old set of their Yukon rain gear that is noticeably better then the different gear in the Arcteryx Alpha, Beta and Leaf lineups that I have been using for the past 20+ years. The Leaf I wore out in 2 seasons of moderate use, I've never had any of the Arcteryx gear fail in less then 5 years, I wasn't impressed.

I also had a Sitka jacket that leaked, it delaminated after less then 20 days of use and they wouldnt cover it under warranty. Apparently it was a treestand jacket and not designed to be hiked in. I treat my gear well, and was pretty shocked by that answer.

Outdoor Research and Mountain Hardwear have some pretty solid options in their lineups. The OR gear is generally a looser fit on me.

Both Mountain Hardware and Arcteryx have significantly different cuts throughout their lineup. Some are very form fitting, some are quite loose. I haven't found gear from either company that isnt loud, which to me is one of the best reasons to look at a hunting company's lineup.

Ruger.270
06-18-2020, 04:26 PM
It rains a lot on the Island and when timber hunting black tail deer much of it is in scarily steep terrain (i.e. you're gonna sweat). I've had Kuiu Yukon for years and would recommend it without hesitation. Durable and water proof even in extreme island downpours pushing ugly bush. Make sure you wash it in the stuff that cleans the pores once and a while. It also has zippers both the jacket and pants to vent to dump heat when doing steep hikes in the rain (this is a critical feature to look for in my opinion).

Some of the sitka gear and other stuff that has a brushed face will absorb water (if it is raining hard enough or you are pushing wet bush for long enough), eventually wet out and stop breathing, and then start to leak through. So you need to consider whether you want the slightly quieter brushed fabric or not.

To me the non-breathable rubber stuff is great if you aren't doing a bunch of steep hiking or a really long walk at moderate speed to get into you're hunting area. If you have to do either of those things I've found I sweat so much from the inside that I got just as wet as if I wore no rain gear at all. Accordingly, for most of my hunting I moved away from it.

NMO
06-19-2020, 03:49 PM
Have gone through five pairs of breathable rain gear in 5 years and some HH Impertech, worn them every month of most of those years, and a lot of time trailing horses through willows in the rain. 1 pair of early gen Kuiu Chugach, 2x Sitka Stormfront, 2x Kuiu Yukon. Currently use the Yukon's most of the time with the Sitka occasionally.

- Kuiu Yukons are the most bombproof breathable rain gear of the bunch that I've used, but also not nearly as breathable and they are heavier. Face fabric can hold a lot of moisture as well making them super heavy when saturated (still keeping me dry). Great option for later season colder weather, or a bomber pair for horseback. HH
- Sitka Stormfronts have both leaked on me, which maybe over saturation from bashing willow covered horse trails in the rain, or pinholes from busting through pines/ doing camp work in them. Either way not as durable as the Yukons from my experience, but lighter and much more breathable.

If you aren't super active in them, HH/Grundens will keep you totally dry. Each company will have a different cut/fit to them. IMO when it comes to clothing, mountaineering companies do it just as good if not better than hunting companies in a lot of cases, and I am a firm believer than no single company does everything exceptionally. Buy your pack from a pack company, boots from a boot company, tent from a tent company etc.. Everyone has their own flavour though.

*Both Kuiu & Sitka have pretty solid warranty on leaking rain gear for what it's worth. Have used both with no grievances

bighornbob
06-19-2020, 07:33 PM
I run Sitka cloudburst tops and bottoms. Bought at wholesale sports when they were going under for 60% off.

BHB

Squamch
06-20-2020, 08:41 AM
I've been using pioneer rubber for years. I'd love some breathable waterproof kit, but it's a big price tag for "i hope it's good enough."
No mention of the first light gear here, not worth bothering with, or just no experience? I like their stuff, it fits me quite well, no experience with kuiu or sitka.

Huntingtyler123
06-20-2020, 08:42 AM
I have firstlite seak jacket and kuiu rain pants. I love them keeps me dry except my feet, need to buy better boots.
I had to sit this spring bear hunt during some thunder showers with it pouring rain and I was dry. Also a plus is that it drys fast

Jimbob
06-21-2020, 08:50 PM
I had an OLD pair of sitka waterproof pants (before they were purchased by GORE). The laminating started coming off so I phoned up Sitka. They said "Oh ya that is the old stuff we have have much better now. What's your address?" Next day brand new Sitka Dewpoint headed my way. Teh dewpoint have served me well for many years.

I think they are overpriced though.

Rackmastr
06-21-2020, 09:45 PM
Sitka Stormfront. I have had a Stormfront jacket since 2010. Amazing gear.

So many reasons I support Sitka. The biggest being their amazing customer service and commitment to quality, and the second being the ridiculous support for wild sheep fundraising efforts in the province. Nuff said.

Harvest the Land
06-21-2020, 10:42 PM
Consider Kryptek Takur series. Buy once cry once

Hose Dragger
06-21-2020, 10:50 PM
I use ARC’TERYX LEAF Alpha Lt pants and jacket in Multicam. Does not leak at all ( I live on the Island and most “rain proof” gear does not hold up to our weather), breathes and has full side zip in pants for easy on and off when the weather cannot make its mind up. Definitely worth the $$$$ and the lifetime warranty provided on a Canadian Made product helps too. Bonus! I use it for nasty weather fishing as well.

Squamch
06-22-2020, 06:30 AM
I have firstlite seak jacket and kuiu rain pants. I love them keeps me dry except my feet, need to buy better boots.
I had to sit this spring bear hunt during some thunder showers with it pouring rain and I was dry. Also a plus is that it drys fast

What's your location? Pushing island bush seems to call for a different level of rain gear!

Darksith
06-22-2020, 07:38 AM
What's your location? Pushing island bush seems to call for a different level of rain gear!

Im in the interior. Will be for spring island bear, later interior fall mule deer season and northern adventures like the one coming up. I am really leaning towards the Sitka Stormfront, and as Rackmaster said, their support for WSSBC which I am a life member of and will continue to support is just another reason to support them. Too bad they offer free shipping or other promo's to the USA but sweet piss all to us Canadian boys even though it came from Vancouver

corywilson13
07-02-2020, 10:58 PM
There are a couple websites that I have bought Sitka gear from with reasonable shipping from the states. Oneshotgear, blackovis, camofire have all been good. Some have 10% off promo codes floating around too.

Bustercluck
07-02-2020, 11:57 PM
I just picked up a set of Sitka cyclone pants and jacket new with tags in youth large for $150. What a steal.

btridge
07-03-2020, 04:07 AM
Consider Kryptek Takur series. Buy once cry once
I own Kryptek and really like it....BUT their warranty SUCKS!

Redthies
07-03-2020, 05:25 AM
I am really leaning towards the Sitka Stormfront, their support for WSSBC which I am a life member of and will continue to support is just another reason to support them.

First Lite is also a huge supporter of conservation groups. Their customer service is amazing too. They are based in Idaho, but their founder/owner has roots in Rossland. The Seak line is on par with the other heavy duty lines. Arcteryx Leaf is great, but all their gear is manufactured in China now as well.

For those talking about waterproof boots, try a set of Seal Skinz socks. My “Goretex” boots wet through if I even just walk in wet grass. They are awesome in every other way, so I spent $40 on Seal Skinz as a Hail Mary before a fall deer trip. They are fantastic.

264mag
07-03-2020, 09:33 PM
Do your feet overheat with the seal skinz socks? I run darn tough socks but thinking about buying a pair of these to try out on my sheep hunt this August.

Treed
07-03-2020, 10:53 PM
Kuiu is not gortex. Gortex is the best material out there for trade offs between breathability and waterproofness. I have Kuiu pants and they are great to hike in and breath well but not nearly as water proof as gortex, also not very durable. HH I use for work in the bush. They keep you dry unless you are hiking and you sweat like a *******. Great for those west coast deluges and surprisingly tough. Sitka has been awesome. Not as breathable as Kuiu but way more waterproof and tough. Arc’teryx, in my experience, has terrible warranty and customer service and I hear they are having issues with returns in the last few years. I have a few jackets, packs, and pants. The older stuff was better. I’ve worked in the bush for over 25 years and hunt. So my stuff is not couch tested - but I don’t sheep hunt - the ultimate test. I don’t use my hunting gear for work cause its too expensive. Wish I could.

Danny_29
07-03-2020, 11:03 PM
Dewpoint tops and bottoms...not the most durable but thats the trade off for how light and packable they are.

Redthies
07-04-2020, 01:07 AM
Do your feet overheat with the seal skinz socks? I run darn tough socks but thinking about buying a pair of these to try out on my sheep hunt this August.

They didn’t the few times I’ve used them, but that was with a couple of cms of snow on the ground. Early season snow type conditions so it was starting to melt by 10:00 or so. I will use them more this year, but I was pleased with them so far. I bought the mid weight ones that they say are good for hiking. They feel a bit funny when you first put them on, but I found them to be quite comfortable.

Nero
07-04-2020, 07:36 AM
Get some Canadian Army surplus rain gear. Cheap and bombproof. Still use mine.

BCHunterFSJ
07-05-2020, 11:00 AM
Rivers West works well for me and I can afford it...

bowmagnum
01-14-2021, 03:25 PM
I have firstlite SEAK rainjacket. I live on the northwest coast. I found the jacket to be clammy and not breathe well from day 1. I have used it in all xonditions ( sheep, goats, deer, winter steelhead) and in the heat it is hot and in the rain it leaks. I would not recommend it. Remember firstlite made its name in baselayers. I am looking to switch rain coat back to goretex as I got 11 years out of my farwest goretex shell. I have reviewed the SEAK jacket online and have my honest thoughts. They published the review but did not contact me to see if they could make it better. That said I did not try to make a warranty claim.

KBC
01-14-2021, 05:54 PM
I just got a brand new SEAK through warranty. It was 2.5 years old and it started to leak through the soft fabric patch they glue to the inside that sits against the back of your neck. Before it leaked I thought it was a great jacket. I had the opposite opinion. I thought it breathed about as good as a rain jacket could. I haven’t tested the new one yet, the first 2 days of sun in awhile showed up the day after it was delivered haha.
Time will tell if this one will last but getting a brand new rain jacket after a 2.5 year old one leaks under warranty is pretty good customer service. All I had to cover was shipping it to them.

RugDoctor
01-14-2021, 06:23 PM
I’ve been using some Badlands gear I got on sale. It’s good....bib pants with good suspenders make it a little bit of a production to take a piss if you’re in a rush though. XXL fits like like a larger XL. No leaks in serous rain, and don’t seem to sweat my bag off when hiking in rain....I like it.

albravo2
01-14-2021, 06:48 PM
I say it every time someone asks about rain gear-- I love my Kuiu Yukon stuff. I wear the jacket even when it is not raining.

At first I thought the Toray fabric was just a gimmick to separate Kuiu from Sitka but the more I use it the more I like it.

dapesche
01-24-2021, 05:05 PM
I wear a marmot minimalist rain jacket in olive. It works great but there is no stretch at all so I would not want that fabric in a pant.

I walk straight up fairly steep mountains quite frequently so I am getting my knees pretty high.

I want a zip off pair of rain pants that are breathable and have some stretch. The OR Forays look interesting but I have no way to try them on. My friend has the kuiu chugachs but they are uber expensive.

I am hoping to spend ~ $250 max on a pair of good pants. Don't need to be camo.

bumping this thread up again to see some more opinions.

cheers

Fella
01-25-2021, 09:46 AM
I bought a Yukon jacket during one of Kuiu’s sales. Still expensive but it’s my favourite piece of gear now. Did a hike with it at New Years, Typical South Island winter day, rain, wind, fog etc. I did have to remove a layer underneath because I was getting hot but that’s normal when you’re hiking. It was still better than my helly Hansen shell.

Ride Red
01-25-2021, 09:57 AM
I’d look at the new Badlands Bail raingear. Their gear gets over looked, but it fits, it’s tough and the best warranty in the business. I was out hiking in my Badlands Rise jacket yesterday in wet snow, dripping trees and was completely dry on return.

Astepanuk
01-25-2021, 10:17 AM
I lived in my friends Kuiu Yukon rain gear for a week on my Caribou hunt this fall, it did amazing withstanding the willows and this brush we were smashing through. I plan on buying my Kutana rain gear for this coming fall as its a bit lighter than the Yukon.