PDA

View Full Version : Bday bear!

Steeleco
06-15-2020, 08:34 AM
Yet another birthday has come and gone, (mine!!) thankfully!! But what a day. My daughter and I took off to the trailer a few days before mom joined us and got a few full on days in trying to get her onto a bear. We tried our usual favorites but slow going, not even too many deer. Then on our way into a good spot we busted a bear on the road the next valley over. We got out and spent a few minutes glassing him as he walked between the trees. Once decided he was worth a try, we turned the truck around and headed towards him. 10 min later we parked the truck about 1km short and began the stalk. Wind at our face we thought all was going to work out well. No sooner than we made the bend in the road to the last 100yds we thought, the wind changed and came right at our backs and down towards the bear. Thankfully he was now quite a bit below where we had seen him initially and in a deep pocket. Heather gets set up behind a few small trees and readies for the shot. What seemed like forever he finally turns broadside and offers the shot she needs. BOOM. The bear shows the reaction we all want to see, BUT gets up and like many have seen, he heads south. FAST!! runs 50 yards to the edge of the trees and disappears.

That unsure feeling of "did I miss" sets in. We waited a few minutes to see if we could hear the "moan" but the wind was so loud, that wasn't happening. We make our way down through the slash and start to look for sign. 15 min criss-crossing where we thought he'd been standing we find this.

https://i.imgur.com/rcwy30ch.jpg

We searched for 10 more min before a second drop was found, not huge drops. Now Heather is starting to feel upset that it was a injured bear and not a lethal shot. We search for another 15 min we figure. Heading further down the steep ass ravine. Slowly the drops become larger, Dad's feel mixed. It's a good shot and knows whats ahead once we find him. Going deeper into the crap with the help of the pooch we finally find him. All balled up under some blow downs. Seems he'd ran 50yds from where he was hit and 75yds over the edge and into the ravine. How an animal with no lungs can run so far so fast and get so stuck always amazes me.

Now it's on. Un-sticking him, clearing trees so we can dress him for the hump back to the landing.
https://i.imgur.com/J1SMfkwh.jpg

We got him all cleaned and back to the landing in just over an hour. Not nearly as long as I'd thought. Heather goes for the truck, (youthful legs LOL)
while I got the last of him.

Once back at camp and cleaned up a little more, dad's on the hook for some taxidermy!! And it was my birthday LOL Best damn present a dad could ask for. She's still beaming.

https://i.imgur.com/wvxvDCrh.jpg

Not as round as first thought but 5'6" nose to tail and a colour I've never laid hands on.

Would have been a spectacular day if I'm not missed the fat Chocolate bear we busted on our way out LOL

Won't soon beat that day, not sure I want too!!

Ron.C
06-15-2020, 08:37 AM
Thats a beauty! Congrats

wideopenthrottle
06-15-2020, 08:51 AM
great job ...man that colour is gorgeous and happy belated Bday

Knute
06-15-2020, 08:52 AM
Great colour on that bear, congrats Heather and a belated Happy Birthday Dad.

adriaticum
06-15-2020, 09:30 AM
Congrats, nice blonde!

monasheemountainman
06-15-2020, 10:15 AM
sweet good job

willyqbc
06-15-2020, 10:18 AM
High fives all around Steely!!!:mrgreen:

REMINGTON JIM
06-15-2020, 10:19 AM
Awesome ! :D Congrats on a GREAT Family outing and your Daughter getting a Beauty Bear ! RJ

browningboy
06-15-2020, 10:27 AM
Sounds like a terrific day for your family!

Tim Tam Slam
06-15-2020, 10:32 AM
Very cool colour, congrats to you and your daughter! A birthday present indeed

srupp
06-15-2020, 10:37 AM
Hmmm very nice bear, awesome color..congrads..
oh ya

HAPPY BIRTHDAY......,!!!!
Srupp

srupp
06-15-2020, 10:42 AM
Hmm considering it's mid June the quality of the hides are amazing. .do not see any signs of rubs at all..ha global warming..ha ha
Steven

caddisguy
06-15-2020, 10:43 AM
Awesome write-up. Always a bit of a scare when they manage to take off out of sight like that, especially when they are bleeding more inside that out and not leaving much to go on. The little bit of blood on the log looks like lung blood, so that must have some reassuring. Good job tracking him and finding him in the pile of blow down. That bear sure made you all work for it. Congrats. And Happy Birthday :)

Petros65
06-15-2020, 10:51 AM
Excellent, great write up lovely photos!!

lakelander
06-15-2020, 10:52 AM
Congrats!! How come I can't see any pics..? It's happened before. I use chrome..maybe that's the problem?

lakelander
06-15-2020, 10:54 AM
Congrats!! How come I can't see any pics..? It's happened before. I use chrome..maybe that's the problem? Happy Birthday!!

Dash
06-15-2020, 11:18 AM
What a beautiful color! Congrats to you both and happy belated bday!

IronNoggin
06-15-2020, 11:20 AM
Beauty of a bear for your daughter! VERY nice color!

And a belated Happy "Nother Year Wiser Day" to the one bringing his kid up right!! https://www.tnof.ca/styles/default/xenforo/smilies/Pozitive.gif

Cheers!
Nog

walks with deer
06-15-2020, 11:23 AM
great job great colour and sounds like a great birthday.

Steeleco
06-15-2020, 11:54 AM
Beauty of a bear for your daughter! VERY nice color!

And a belated Happy "Nother Year Wiser Day" to the one bringing his kid up right!! https://www.tnof.ca/styles/default/xenforo/smilies/Pozitive.gif

Cheers!
Nog

Appreciate the kind words. BUT Mom and I got lucky. Gave both kids a taste and they liked it. Son now has a degree in Ecosystem management and is living my old man dream!!

The best part is, they will both keep me in game meat when I'm too old to bother LOL. Not any time soon I might add!!

northernbc
06-15-2020, 11:59 AM
Great birthday with your family. The way it should be. Beautiful bear.

ajr5406
06-15-2020, 12:38 PM
Happy birthday! Beautiful colour!

tim.l
06-15-2020, 12:54 PM
Congrats on the awesome bear. And happy bday

Leaseman
06-15-2020, 01:05 PM
always a pleasure to see you and the family connecting David!

Harvest the Land
06-15-2020, 03:10 PM
Beautiful bear and great story. That's what its all about - now hopefully your daughter will be hooked for life. Happy Bday Steeleco

mpotzold
06-15-2020, 07:09 PM
Yet another birthday has come and gone, (mine!!) thankfully!! But what a day. My daughter and I took off to the trailer a few days before mom joined us and got a few full on days in trying to get her onto a bear. We tried our usual favorites but slow going, not even too many deer. Then on our way into a good spot we busted a bear on the road the next valley over. We got out and spent a few minutes glassing him as he walked between the trees. Once decided he was worth a try, we turned the truck around and headed towards him. 10 min later we parked the truck about 1km short and began the stalk. Wind at our face we thought all was going to work out well. No sooner than we made the bend in the road to the last 100yds we thought, the wind changed and came right at our backs and down towards the bear. Thankfully he was now quite a bit below where we had seen him initially and in a deep pocket. Heather gets set up behind a few small trees and readies for the shot. What seemed like forever he finally turns broadside and offers the shot she needs. BOOM. The bear shows the reaction we all want to see, BUT gets up and like many have seen, he heads south. FAST!! runs 50 yards to the edge of the trees and disappears.

That unsure feeling of "did I miss" sets in. We waited a few minutes to see if we could hear the "moan" but the wind was so loud, that wasn't happening. We make our way down through the slash and start to look for sign. 15 min criss-crossing where we thought he'd been standing we find this.

https://i.imgur.com/rcwy30ch.jpg

We searched for 10 more min before a second drop was found, not huge drops. Now Heather is starting to feel upset that it was a injured bear and not a lethal shot. We search for another 15 min we figure. Heading further down the steep ass ravine. Slowly the drops become larger, Dad's feel mixed. It's a good shot and knows whats ahead once we find him. Going deeper into the crap with the help of the pooch we finally find him. All balled up under some blow downs. Seems he'd ran 50yds from where he was hit and 75yds over the edge and into the ravine. How an animal with no lungs can run so far so fast and get so stuck always amazes me.

Now it's on. Un-sticking him, clearing trees so we can dress him for the hump back to the landing.
https://i.imgur.com/J1SMfkwh.jpg

We got him all cleaned and back to the landing in just over an hour. Not nearly as long as I'd thought. Heather goes for the truck, (youthful legs LOL)
while I got the last of him.

Once back at camp and cleaned up a little more, dad's on the hook for some taxidermy!! And it was my birthday LOL Best damn present a dad could ask for. She's still beaming.

https://i.imgur.com/wvxvDCrh.jpg

Not as round as first thought but 5'6" nose to tail and a colour I've never laid hands on.

Would have been a spectacular day if I'm not missed the fat Chocolate bear we busted on our way out LOL

Won't soon beat that day, not sure I want too!!

CONGRATS!:smile:
That is a beaut blond bear.

"How an animal with no lungs can run so far so fast and get so stuck always amazes me."
I've shot a young buck from less than 100 yards with a 300 win. mag using a 200gr HE bullet. It ran down hill for over 70 yards . It was a heart/lung shot. 1/2 the heart was separated.
The deer became aware of my presence just before the shot.

Ride Red
06-15-2020, 07:17 PM
Great bear, congrats to your daughter and happy belated bday!!!

DannyO
06-15-2020, 07:52 PM
Congrats! Thats a great colour, thanks for sharing

cameron0518
06-15-2020, 08:09 PM
Beautiful bear. Nicely done!

HarryToolips
06-15-2020, 09:37 PM
Happy birthday and congrats to yo and your daughter, no better way to spend a birthday...

Stone Sheep Steve
06-16-2020, 04:43 AM
Beautiful bear and good story!
I’m a sucker for those father/daughter moments!

Congrats!!

Taking my daughter out tomorrow evening to see if we can find her a nice ‘graduation bear’.
They grow up so damn fast.

SSS

338win mag
06-16-2020, 05:17 AM
That's great... nice bear for your family!

pnbrock
06-16-2020, 06:46 AM
Happy birthday and congratulations on a beauty of a bear.

weatherby_man
06-16-2020, 08:17 AM
Now thats a happy birthday!