PDA

View Full Version : Fly reels-large arbor

browningboy
06-07-2020, 10:32 PM
Ok I’ve been looking through many online stores at fly reels, so here’s what I’m thinking, I’m looking for a decent reel, large arbor and looks the part... since there are so many damn reels I’m having a tough time deciding, looking for one that can get a spare spool as well. So my budget is 100-300,can I get anything decent with that?

warnniklz
06-07-2020, 11:59 PM
If you can find them... Dragonfly chilcotin is in your price range.

MB_Boy
06-08-2020, 06:40 AM
Good pandemic price.

https://ca.looptackle.com/product/evotec-g4-reel/

blaine
06-08-2020, 08:15 AM
If you can handle the drive into Richmond go talk to the guy's at Berry's bait on Westminster avenue. great deals there.

steel_ram
06-08-2020, 08:36 AM
What size reel are you looking for? Trout? Salmon? There are some very functional but not necessarily pretty reals out there. For example I have a couple of Sage 1880's that work great and I have no worries about banging them around in the boat, unlike my Islanders etc. Lamson has an inexpensive offering. For trout fishing you don't need a large arbour and some sort of Hardy knock-off like the Daiwa sf 706 are bargains.

browningboy
06-08-2020, 09:25 AM
I should have said, for trout and 5wt.. the one thing mentioned above is getting banged around the boat, it will get banged around so buying an expensive probably isn't the best idea... something that is all around good and proven? That make sense?

Ride Red
06-08-2020, 09:48 AM
Ok I’ve been looking through many online stores at fly reels, so here’s what I’m thinking, I’m looking for a decent reel, large arbor and looks the part... since there are so many damn reels I’m having a tough time deciding, looking for one that can get a spare spool as well. So my budget is 100-300,can I get anything decent with that?

https://www.amazon.ca/Piscifun-Weight-Fishing-CNC-Machined-Aluminum/dp/B073XKJ76T/ref=mp_s_a_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=piscifun+fly+reel&qid=1591634642&sprefix=piscifun+fly&sr=8-2.

Bought one of these last year for my 3wt. Well machined/anodized and spin true. Can’t beat the reel/ spare spool pricing in my opinion. And I’ll add this, great smooth drag when the big ones on the line. I’m buying another soon.
* I’ve got $400 reels that don’t feel any different *

jlirot
06-08-2020, 10:05 AM
It's easy to get good quality inexpensive reels these days. I would love to upgrade large arbor reels but I have so many nice older ones that I can't justify changing them out. I bought a bunch of stuff at an estate sale years ago and have at least triple my needs. As nice as it is to get shiny toys - I have no reason to.

browningboy
06-08-2020, 11:29 AM
https://www.amazon.ca/Piscifun-Weight-Fishing-CNC-Machined-Aluminum/dp/B073XKJ76T/ref=mp_s_a_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=piscifun+fly+reel&qid=1591634642&sprefix=piscifun+fly&sr=8-2.

Bought one of these last year for my 3wt. Well machined/anodized and spin true. Can’t beat the reel/ spare spool pricing in my opinion. And I’ll add this, great smooth drag when the big ones on the line. I’m buying another soon.
* I’ve got $400 reels that don’t feel any different *

Thanks I'll take a look! In all honesty don't need a wall hanger as it will get some abuse

backstrap
06-08-2020, 01:01 PM
Reddington Rise. All aluminum, carbon drag, large arbor, you can get spare spoils and they look nice. $200-$300 good warranty. I have 2 and like them.

wingmaster
06-08-2020, 02:38 PM
Check out the Lamson Liquid 3 pack. Had it recommended by several people on the Stillwater’s fb page and have been impressed so far. Currently on sale at cabelas

browningboy
06-08-2020, 03:36 PM
Check out the Lamson Liquid 3 pack. Had it recommended by several people on the Stillwater’s fb page and have been impressed so far. Currently on sale at cabelas

Will do and thanks!

steel_ram
06-08-2020, 06:17 PM
I have some Lamson Konics, which were there economy reels before the Liquids. Same drag and work well and no tears if it gets a few dings. Seem to be a pretty good price for the 3 pack though I'm assuming they are similar to the Konic's. The Lamson Guru is the next step up and there cheapest fully machined reel with a tougher finish, probably still in your price range with one spare spool.

browningboy
06-08-2020, 10:57 PM
Thanks everyone, the Guru II pops up a lot, redington and dragonfly... who has the best selection in the lower mainland?

warnniklz
06-08-2020, 11:08 PM
Searun Fly and Tackle,
Highwater Tackle
Berry's Bait
Michael and Young

Iltasyuko
06-13-2020, 08:54 PM
Some good choices mentioned above. Here is another to consider - Sage Spectrum C. I have 2.

https://www.sageflyfish.com/product/core/spectrum-c

it’s a $200 reel in Canada and can be found less on sale.