PDA

View Full Version : Moose hunting some where along the Yukon border

Wadebray
06-06-2020, 07:27 AM
Hopping there is some one out there who had some knowledge on hunting in 6-25 ,6-24,6-23,7-52
I have never been past pink mt but looking to drag the flat deck and converted cargo trailer with quads some where as far north as I can go in bc and set up camp and hopefully frond some big moose or caribou and info would be a appreciated

northof49
06-06-2020, 07:49 AM
Hmm....Nice first post. Just go do it....not hard to figure out...part of the adventure.

Wadebray
06-06-2020, 08:04 AM
Yeah I have just herd its hard to find spots to set up camp

huntingfamily
06-06-2020, 08:22 AM
Sounds like a great adventure!

walks with deer
06-06-2020, 08:58 AM
bahahahahhaabbababababba

stay on the island when you get lost you can follow the shoreline.

Retiredguy
06-06-2020, 10:16 AM
OP...as I am sure you know, no one is going to tell you where a good area is on social media. To do so would be to kill it as it gets flooded with guys. You need to just do your own research and figure out where to go on your own. Look at the backroad map books and select likely looking areas, then get some more detailed maps of the areas to see where there is access. Pay attention to the various road/access restrictions in the hunting regs as these can often give you some clues as to where to concentrate your efforts.

Regardless of how much advance research you do you will still get surprises when you go to a new area and nothing beats first hand experience if you can actually talk to someone who has been there. You might try talking to CO's in the area.

Consider your first trip up a fact finding mission and if you are lucky you will get into some bulls. Worst case scenario, you will be in a better position to plan for year two.

northof49
06-06-2020, 10:18 AM
^^^^exactly

BCHunterFSJ
06-06-2020, 11:50 AM
Yeah I have just herd its hard to find spots to set up camp

No problem finding camp spots!!

HD95
06-06-2020, 12:09 PM
Plenty of camping up there,,,,try Moose Lake

180grainer
06-06-2020, 04:48 PM
Plenty of camping up there,,,,try Moose Lake
Would there be moose there?

cameron0518
06-06-2020, 07:21 PM
Would there be moose there?

You bet there is. Big bulls too

tigrr
06-06-2020, 07:54 PM
The scary part in a campground was the natives pit lamping and shooting right near us. Were talking at least 10 rifle shots. It worked because we moved to a different area. If I recall it was just north of Fort Nelson near some park.

limit time
06-06-2020, 09:52 PM
They’re just looking for roads to block.

bigredchev
06-06-2020, 10:00 PM
I’d consider two trips within 12 hours versus one longer trip 24 hours drive. In the end, the more time you put into an area is what typically produces results. Something to consider, easier to scout and check trail cams etc

walks with deer
06-06-2020, 11:20 PM
i think it was dick park in zippermouth valley...

The Donald
06-07-2020, 06:53 AM
Some nice replies here, i don't think the OP was asking for honey holes just a little intel, PM's work well to point him in the right direction. I wish i could help out but have never hunted the area if you want some intel in area's 5 & 6 shoot me a pm.

northof49
06-07-2020, 07:34 AM
Some nice replies here, i don't think the OP was asking for honey holes just a little intel, PM's work well to point him in the right direction. I wish i could help out but have never hunted the area if you want some intel in area's 5 & 6 shoot me a pm.

alrighty then....here’s hopping then.....lets head from Victoria and frond some big moose and caribou....go right ahead and hand over your intel....who you helpin anyway.....how bout drive north....figure it out

srthomas75
06-07-2020, 08:13 AM
Tough crowd on this one, I get it though as it's the first post from the member. Maybe if it was worded slightly different the response would be a little more positive. Personally I haven't driven further north than Chetwynd but wouldn't think that it would be hard to find somewhere to camp in the area that they are asking about. I agree that is part of the adventure when going into unfamiliar territory. Good luck on your exploring/ hunting. If your camp gear is easy to setup then plan on spending two/three days in a few different spots once you get up there. Stop to talk to others you see and have fun.
In some ways I wish that I did more "going in blind" type of trips.

Wadebray
06-07-2020, 08:14 AM
Thank you I did the same thing for my trip to pink for bison last hear its good advice how is the terrain up there for quads ? If you have been

fearnodeer
06-07-2020, 08:19 AM
I was thinking I might head up that way myself, like you having not gone past Pink Mountain would just google the area and decide which roads I would like to try, would only spend 2-3 days on each one unless I find enough sign that they are in the area, good luck on your adventure.

huntingfamily
06-07-2020, 08:38 AM
https://www.backroadmapbooks.com/brmb-products/backroad-mapbooks/bc-backroad-maps/northern-bc-backcountry-maps.html

Wadebray
06-07-2020, 11:08 AM
Thank you for the guidance I think that's probably a good to idea to move around if I don't find any activity

The Donald
06-07-2020, 11:51 AM
alrighty then....here’s hopping then.....lets head from Victoria and frond some big moose and caribou....go right ahead and hand over your intel....who you helpin anyway.....how bout drive north....figure it out

Wow, it is obvious you have trouble with writing and under standing what is written some times. So I will type this real slow for you to grasp. As stated in my post I have not hunted in the area asked about but did offer what knowledge I have for certain locations in hunting areas 5 and 6. I hope this helps you in understanding my previous post......or am I supposed to tell the member to pound salt as he is a new member, sorry but that is not how I operate. Good luck Wadebray on your hunt :)

walks with deer
06-07-2020, 03:06 PM
it cost $500 in fuel alone to go there and back then theres fuel you use food maintence...the north is big just cause you go that deep doesnt mean theres a moose on every corner...need to find pockets...best of luck...i don think op even knows how big that country is.

Muliechaser
06-07-2020, 03:24 PM
i think it was dick park in zippermouth valley...

Gladys lake area in 6-25 can be a producer

Downwindtracker2
06-07-2020, 03:28 PM
First step is always check your regulations, it tells what is open and for how long. That's a hint on the numbers. Next step is look at your maps, this will give you access. It isn't much good if it's only fly in and you are driving a pick up. Now that you have what you think is road access, is it really a road ? And when was it a road ? Does the road have to freeze to be useful? Is there a native blockade on it. And in the same vein ,do you need to keep one of your party in camp guarding things.

I've some great hunting trips that were mostly into new and interesting country. But didn't get my pants dirty.

walks with deer
06-07-2020, 05:37 PM
yup not to mention the two day drive each way just to scout...i have done it twice withouthgt stopping but slept on arrival not really any gain.

walks with deer
06-07-2020, 05:42 PM
seens how you loose 4 days driving 3 weeks would be a minimum...4 would be wise not even steering you away..just being truthfull. shes along haul and big country..have had moose zig zag run away at 350yds on busyeier spots.

Downwindtracker2
06-07-2020, 06:11 PM
My brother was the Park Ranger at Liard Hot Springs . A Californian asked him "How big is this province? We have been driving for three days and we are still in BC." The American maps always squash down Canada.

I found with a 22 or 24 hour drive, it was better to long day the first one, sleep in a motel, then short day and set up. I use to figure I would average 50 miles an hour (80 KLH) between gas and burger stops. With the big diesel , I get better fuel economy, go faster and have bigger tank, still 100KLH would likely be a push.

My partner mentioned that for one group, between there river boats and their trucks, their fuel bill was over $10,000.

northof49
06-07-2020, 07:04 PM
Wow, it is obvious you have trouble with writing and under standing what is written some times. So I will type this real slow for you to grasp. As stated in my post I have not hunted in the area asked about but did offer what knowledge I have for certain locations in hunting areas 5 and 6. I hope this helps you in understanding my previous post......or am I supposed to tell the member to pound salt as he is a new member, sorry but that is not how I operate. Good luck Wadebray on your hunt :)

Nice story. Some things aren’t always as they seem though. First post from Victoria, poor grammar asking for info for big moose/caribou for massive area....just a bit off. I’m sure I wasn’t the only one thinking it looked fishy. Maybe just a stand up hunter....maybe not...who knows. Hard to tell without any foreplay. Share away;-)

LBM
06-07-2020, 07:45 PM
Nice story. some things aren’t always as they seem tho. First post form Victoria, poor grammar asking for info for big moose/caribou for massive area....just a bit off. I’m sure I wasn’t the only one thinking it looked fishy. Maybe just a stand up hunter....maybe not...who knows. Hard to tell without and foreplay. Share away;-)

Poor grammar, sure every thing is right in your post.

Downwindtracker2
06-07-2020, 09:13 PM
There are others who may read and dream. Even if he was stringing us along. There was some good information on planning hunts. I know I passed on some, as much for others planning hunts.

Huevos
06-08-2020, 06:46 PM
Just be careful planning a hunt from roads you see on google earth. I took my wife and dad up there on a trip, hoping we could chase down a moose in the any bull season. The hunt was an empic fail as far as actual hunting goes! roads we found on google had 25 foot tall trees and alder on them. Turned out to be one of the funnest trips I have ever been on. Bring a fishing rod, Just pick a spot, jump in the rig and have at it. If you hunt the rut and have a good 10 days of hunting, you should at least come home with some good stories. I know we did. Good luck! You may also want to consider chartering a plane to get in to a good remote spot.

338edgehunter
07-10-2020, 03:59 AM
I live in Fort Saint John and the sheer amount of hunters that come up from the island/Vancouver area is absolutely brutal good luck trying to find a spot here our moose population takes a absolute ****kicking ever year from islanders elk fair a bit better because alot are either on private land of in very hard to access land to give you a example on the mile 88 road 3 camps the mile 95 half way 17 camps the mile 132 road 7 camps. Pink mountain area has all but been wiped out by tourists. There is some critters but not like it used to be

browningboy
07-10-2020, 06:11 AM
Try Helgrin Lakes area, just off the highway a bit but no roads, bring a canoe or walk

Downwindtracker2
07-10-2020, 10:44 AM
I live in Fort Saint John and the sheer amount of hunters that come up from the island/Vancouver area is absolutely brutal good luck trying to find a spot here our moose population takes a absolute ****kicking ever year from islanders elk fair a bit better because alot are either on private land of in very hard to access land to give you a example on the mile 88 road 3 camps the mile 95 half way 17 camps the mile 132 road 7 camps. Pink mountain area has all but been wiped out by tourists. There is some critters but not like it used to be

Pink Mountain has been hit hard for a lot of years. Hunters have been pushed north. One of the guys older than me remembered hunting moose in the Cariboo in his younger days.. In the '80 the moose season in 7-B went from August the 15 to December 15 , Now it's one or two weeks in August.