PDA

View Full Version : LEH site not working

grantk
05-29-2020, 09:52 PM
Nothing like leaving it to the last minute, but trying to get my LEH's in this evening and the GD website doesn't work. Just get HTTP error 503, Service Unavailable.

Got screwed out of booking campsites over and over in the Shuswap because of useless government sites earlier this week, and now this. WTF

NinVic
05-29-2020, 09:55 PM
I thought deadline was 31st until 15 minutes ago when I realized it was tonight! lol last minute and website is crashed.. not fun!

Stainless
05-29-2020, 10:31 PM
Lol "Useless Government Sites" maybe send in your LEH on time?

grantk
05-29-2020, 10:41 PM
Deadline is midnight tonight. I don't set the timelines, but it's reasonable to expect the service to be available up until the deadline.

grantk
05-29-2020, 10:52 PM
You totally missed the point. Anything before the deadline is "on time", but the website is completely inaccessible.

bighornbob
05-29-2020, 11:03 PM
You totally missed the point. Anything before the deadline is "on time", but the website is completely inaccessible.

A ton of sites go down when there are a ton of people trying to use it at the same time not just government sites. Happens every year with the LEH site on the last night as guys scramble.

Worked great on Tuesday night when I did mine.

Bhb

bangbangkhan
05-29-2020, 11:13 PM
welcome to the "last minute club" - my nephews id was expired so he pretty much S.O.L

Drillbit
05-29-2020, 11:30 PM
Yep.

My 2 hunting buddies got the shaft too.

Me. I was All In on day 1. And I'll still get a NIL......

Drillbit
05-29-2020, 11:30 PM
Yep.

My 2 hunting buddies got the shaft too.

Me. I was All In on day 1. And I'll still get a NIL......

I only asked them 5 times this month if they were in

grantk
05-29-2020, 11:41 PM
I'm less upset about not getting my LEH's in than the seemingly "do-nothing" approach to managing these services that we all pay for. I was just going to apply for some low-odds Kamloops draws anyways, so likely nothing lost and I have a few extra bucks in my bank account.

This isn't surprise traffic... opening and closing dates are set by the people managing the service, but nothing is done to ensure that the services we are forced to use and pay for can actually handle the demands reasonably expected to be placed on them. How many BC residents could possibly be online at 11:30 pm trying to enter their LEHs? And the system crumbles with no server scaling. And this is meant to provide services for 5 million BC residents?

The online camping reservation system has always been overloaded when it opens, so what was the solution? Outsource and rollout a bug-laden, piss poor replacement system, do absolutely nothing to improve it or get it ready for re-opening for months while COVID had all the parks closed, and then watch it crash and burn on day 1. Your tax dollars at work!

Rant over, I'm going to bed. Good luck with your LEH's everyone!

Moose63
05-30-2020, 06:16 AM
Don't understand about worring about camping reservations when any secluded logging road will do......

sako79
05-30-2020, 06:18 AM
People had over 6 weeks to apply there is no reason they should have waited till the last minute. This happened last year with people too.

REMINGTON JIM
05-30-2020, 06:31 AM
So ALL you Guys thinks its OK for the site to CRASH because people didn't do there LEH s Early ! :mad: it should still Function ! jmo RJ

Last Monday morning i had to be at work by 8 do am i up and trying to Book( firts day open to book reservations ) a 4 day er at Big Bar - Site was a POS then started working - Great ! then got my 4 days booked and went to pay and it CRASHED - went to work - tried at coffee time and all the sites were booked up ! Grrr ! :mad: Phucken Gov system is a POS ! jmo RJ

Retiredguy
05-30-2020, 06:31 AM
Don't understand about worring about camping reservations when any secluded logging road will do......

Yes I have never understood the draw to the "camping" at the park facilities. All tucked in by your neighbours twenty yards away in the next campsite. People swarming around and ghetto blasters playing. Kids screaming. Pack a few sticks of wood from the pre-cut and stacked wood area to your campfire. Park rangers walking and driving around checking on the campers out for their "wilderness" experience. That isn't camping!!!

Go out into the middle of nowhere and set up a camp and relax with no people around or hit one of the remote campsites that are on the small lakes many miles from town.

People are such pussies these days. ;)

REMINGTON JIM
05-30-2020, 06:45 AM
Hey Retired GUY !

Theres a "LOT " of good Fishing lakes that have no where to camp BUT at at Provincial Campground - 1 Such is Big Bar Lake -another is Tunkwa and NOT all are as you described either ! Public use lands are NOT available on a lot of lakes in BC ! Also as you get older and retired its no where as EASY as it was to just camp where ever as it was when younger ! ;-) RJ

cameron0518
05-30-2020, 06:54 AM
Yes I have never understood the draw to the "camping" at the park facilities. All tucked in by your neighbours twenty yards away in the next campsite. People swarming around and ghetto blasters playing. Kids screaming. Pack a few sticks of wood from the pre-cut and stacked wood area to your campfire. Park rangers walking and driving around checking on the campers out for their "wilderness" experience. That isn't camping!!!

Go out into the middle of nowhere and set up a camp and relax with no people around or hit one of the remote campsites that are on the small lakes many miles from town.

Yeah, never understood that either! If they called it "glamping" instead of camping...

cameron0518
05-30-2020, 07:00 AM
I don't think that it is ok that their sites crash but when you know that there is a good possibility of it happening, don't wait until the last day!

REMINGTON JIM
05-30-2020, 07:08 AM
I don't think that it is ok that their sites crash but when you know that there is a good possibility of it happening, don't wait until the last day!

What about them Crashing on the First day of - is that alright ? :mad: :-DRJ

NON of YOU should be making up EXCUSES for the POOR Service of the BC NDP Goverment ! RJ

BackBacon
05-30-2020, 07:49 AM
I don't think it's unreasonable to expect a service to work up until the deadline, especially this day and age and especially when it's expected that there will be heavy traffic on the website.

blackbart
05-30-2020, 08:03 AM
The system to pay my taxes never seems to crash.......

Bernie O
05-30-2020, 08:09 AM
All of you guys think the government is here to serve you. That went out when politics became a paid profession, Not an honour to serve your fellow citizen.
We reached the point of no return about 25 years ago.

Gun Dog
05-30-2020, 08:42 AM
All the government systems are sluggish at the best of times. Try using discovercamping.ca and that system generates a lot of revenue for the province.

The LEH system gets used 6 weeks a year and is busy one day a year. It'll never be a priority.

srthomas75
05-30-2020, 08:51 AM
I'm pretty sure that on the first page of the LEH site it says "get your draws in early enough because it will be busy at the deadline" ie: We will probably have website issues if too many leave it until the last minute. Yes it's nice if everytrhing works all the time but as we all know there are times when things break. It's not an excuse for the system to be down, but we were fully warned of the possibilty. When will we as society stop looking for someone/something to blame when something goes wrong.
As for the camping; some people like provincial sites. some people like giant RV's some like tents. some like both at different times of life with differrent family members etc.. some kids like a deserted beach, others the playground at the park. No need to bitch at people because they camp differently than you do.

Krico
05-30-2020, 08:53 AM
Nobody should be surprised. This thread (regardless of who starts it) and the last minute site crash are inevitable, annually. Go ahead and complain, but you have only yourself to blame.
I’ll never understand why people who love hunting wait until the absolute last day. Nobody is “too busy” to find 5 mins over the 6-8 week period and apply.

fuzzybiscuit
05-30-2020, 09:07 AM
My dad contacted me on Wednesday and asked me to enter his yearly Island Elk donation. He doesn’t do computers and I had forgotten to do it myself. It was pretty close to a no-go since his residency had expired. I uploaded a recent copy of his drivers licence to only find out it takes 3-5 business days for it to be processed, which would be too late. So I sat on the phone for the better part of 2 hours waiting to get through and in the end a pretty helpful gentleman checked the uploaded DL and updated my dad’s residency credentials. From there I went back on the site and entered his elk draw for him and all went pretty smooth. The guy I had on the phone did say he had never seen it that busy before and expired residency credentials were really clogging up the system since people left entering the draw until the last week only to find out they couldn’t until they had updated their residency.

grantk
05-30-2020, 09:08 AM

The draw for many people is that provincial sites provide a relatively cheap way to enjoy a vacation with family that you only see a few times a year, while keeping it enjoyable for a variety of people. My too-old-to-tent parents can rent a nearby AirB&B if they want, my non-outdoorsy sister's family can still come and enjoy themselves without having to dig a hole to poop in everyday, and all the kids in the group can have free reign to ride around screaming on their bicycles, screaming on the playground, and pissing off the crabby Retiredguy's of the world. I have all fall to enjoy remote camping in solitude.

HighCountryBC
05-30-2020, 09:16 AM
Nobody should be surprised. This thread (regardless of who starts it) and the last minute site crash are inevitable, annually. Go ahead and complain, but you have only yourself to blame.
I’ll never understand why people who love hunting wait until the absolute last day. Nobody is “too busy” to find 5 mins over the 6-8 week period and apply.

Absolutely. People can complain all they want but the online process is quick and simple if you don't leave it to the last hour of the last day. It's never been easier to apply for LEH.

tyreguy
05-30-2020, 10:04 AM
Every year people race the deadline. Used to be couriers to Victoria.
Will be the same in 2021 - you snooze you lose.

Danny_29
05-30-2020, 10:09 AM
You're correct. The should use our tax dollars to purchase the bandwidth required for the max traffic year round...literally no business on earth does this. If you leave something to the last minute or right when it launches you have to play the game.

kjudson86
05-30-2020, 10:12 AM
So do you blame Kal-tire for not having more local stores to access when it comes to changing out your tires?? The govt isn't going to spend countless extra dollars to be extra prepared for people who can't be bothered to to something well ahead of a set deadline. They aren't here to babysit but to allow you ease of access for 40+ days to apply for draws. They have to set a deadline obviously and its not there responsibility to cater to procrastination.

eatram
05-30-2020, 10:19 AM

I’d love to see the statistics of LEH authorizations purchased the last day/win application vs harvest data/hunter not even using opportunity.

Ubertuber
05-30-2020, 11:58 AM
If the government overbuilt their systems for the one day a year that it overloads, people would be complaining about the amount of money wasted, and rightfully so. It happens every year, so learn from your mistakes and apply earlier than the last day.
Good luck ̶e̶v̶e̶r̶y̶o̶n̶e̶.....to me!

cameron0518
05-30-2020, 12:19 PM
What about them Crashing on the First day of - is that alright ? :mad: :-DRJ

NON of YOU should be making up EXCUSES for the POOR Service of the BC NDP Goverment ! RJ

Unfortunately it is the way it goes whether it be "acceptable" or not to us. I think that every system should work from start to finish but because I understand Murphy's Law, I try to do it after the first rush and before the last. Maybe that is why I don't seem to get the draws I put in for. Lol

ncaufield
05-30-2020, 12:33 PM
I definitely lollgagged waiting to see if we could get a fourth for our moose shared, but I logged in at 8:30pm last night and it was down. Kept trying for 3.5hrs with no luck. I agree with people saying don’t wait till last minute but sometimes it’s inevitable when you’re getting your team together, and it is a little ridiculous that on a day they know there’s gonna be a lot of traffic we can’t get enough bandwidth to allow an opening for four hours before deadline. In the first year of the system they had similar issues and the deadline ended up getting extended. Any sign this might happen again? Fingers crossed!

northof49
05-30-2020, 12:48 PM
Nothing like leaving it to the last minute, but trying to get my LEH's in this evening and the GD website doesn't work. Just get HTTP error 503, Service Unavailable.

So weird.....worked perfectly for me 6 wks ago

cameron0518
05-30-2020, 01:26 PM
I definitely lollgagged waiting to see if we could get a fourth for our moose shared, but I logged in at 8:30pm last night and it was down. Kept trying for 3.5hrs with no luck. I agree with people saying don’t wait till last minute but sometimes it’s inevitable when you’re getting your team together, and it is a little ridiculous that on a day they know there’s gonna be a lot of traffic we can’t get enough bandwidth to allow an opening for four hours before deadline. In the first year of the system they had similar issues and the deadline ended up getting extended. Any sign this might happen again? Fingers crossed!

You never know, if it means more money in their pockets, they might do an extension. If you run into that situation again, have the three guys put in for a group and if a fourth wants to join you, he can just add to the group (apparently easy to do but I have no experience) or he can put in for a single in the same area. That way you don't get screwed.

Keta1969
05-30-2020, 01:42 PM
Lots of excuses here but really not much sympathy from me. They shouldn't extend it or the procrastination will happen again next year.

Krico
05-30-2020, 02:25 PM
I would also add I’m of the thinking there should be zero extensions.
Those who got it done on time should not be penalized with worse odds and longer wait times.

grantk
05-30-2020, 02:36 PM
No one asked for your sympathy, just a website that functions properly for it's one and only purpose, under what by now should be well understood usage patterns.

Maybe I'm expecting too much from something that rakes in hundreds of thousands of dollars in revenue over the course of 5 weeks each year, just for the chance at spending more on a tag if drawn? Why design a site with a gimmicky and resource-intense interactive map that updates as you punch in your hunt details if you can't support the bandwidth needed to run it and it crashes when 100 people try to log on at once? How hard is it to have a low-bandwidth version that it switches to when under high demand that is just a few hunt-code text boxes, radio button selections, and your payment info?

Danny_29
05-30-2020, 02:45 PM
No one asked for your sympathy, just a website that functions properly for it's one and only purpose, under what by now should be well understood usage patterns.

Maybe I'm expecting too much from something that rakes in hundreds of thousands of dollars in revenue over the course of 5 weeks each year, just for the chance at spending more on a tag if drawn? Why design a site with a gimmicky and resource-intense interactive map that updates as you punch in your hunt details if you can't support the bandwidth needed to run it and it crashes when 100 people try to log on at once? How hard is it to have a low-bandwidth version that it switches to when under high demand that is just a few hunt-code text boxes, radio button selections, and your payment info?

Listen I feel ya. I leave way more stuff to the last minute but that's currently not how the internet works...no properly functioning business will waste mucho dollars to satisfy a 12hr period once a year. It's the way it goes...I would however be curious to km now the % of usage spike...judging by the people who have just comment on this thread I bet it's pretty significant.

wideopenthrottle
05-30-2020, 02:46 PM
if you went to the liquor store 10 minutes before closing and there was a 50 person line up, who would you blame if you didnt get in before closing...would you not try to go earlier next time?

caddisguy
05-30-2020, 02:49 PM
Site crashing on the last day for applications and on the day the draw results come out has been the norm every since it went on line.

These government sites whether it be camping, LEH CERB have not joined the world of automatic scaling based on demand. This is pretty simple stuff in the world of virtualization and would probably work out to be cheaper in the long run. For systems that are 99.9% idle most of the year and saturate resources for a small portion of the year, it just makes sense. I work in the industry and can recognize shoddy work that doesn't pass as being acceptable by any means.

I doubt they will fix it anytime soon, so we just need to work around it and make sure we don't wait until the last day or even the last few days. It's a lesson, as not everyone is aware. People get burned because of it every year. Posts like this to bring awareness to it are helpful. It draws attention, helps others and maybe the more people recognize that avoiding the last few days is the way to go, that maybe the last day it will stop crashing.

Good luck to all on their draws and sorry to hear some people got burned again by the last day problems. I only put in for a doe in 3-14. No elk, moose or anything else as I plan to focus 100% on unsuccessfully chasing BT's :)

grantk
05-30-2020, 02:59 PM
I'll never lump our government into Properly Functioning Business territory, LOL. But seriously, mucho tax dollars were spent designing an overly-complex system that fails at the same point every year, whether we're talking about the LEH system or camping reservation system. A properly functioning business that knows exactly how many users they have, with several years of history of when those users typically log on to use the service, would design their systems to adapt to demand.

Retiredguy
05-30-2020, 03:22 PM
Hey Retired GUY !

Theres a "LOT " of good Fishing lakes that have no where to camp BUT at at Provincial Campground - 1 Such is Big Bar Lake -another is Tunkwa and NOT all are as you described either ! Public use lands are NOT available on a lot of lakes in BC ! Also as you get older and retired its no where as EASY as it was to just camp where ever as it was when younger ! ;-) RJ

Big Bar and Tunkwa.....heck I've been to them. Way too many people. I value the peace and quiet as much as the fishing. LOL

And don't give me that old and retired crap...I am both and I have never let that stop me from getting away from it all. The work is good for the failing joints.

I knew there would be some takers. You were too easy. ;)

As for the real topic. I guess I would be ticked if it crashed on me, but experience has taught me that this happens all the time near draw deadlines...and not just in BC. So I hedge my bets and make sure I get things done early as possible so as not to see my blood pressure go through the roof when I am typing away with credit card in hand and the site implodes.

caddisguy
05-30-2020, 03:29 PM
I'll never lump our government into Properly Functioning Business territory, LOL. But seriously, mucho tax dollars were spent designing an overly-complex system that fails at the same point every year, whether we're talking about the LEH system or camping reservation system. A properly functioning business that knows exactly how many users they have, with several years of history of when those users typically log on to use the service, would design their systems to adapt to demand.

It's easy now and has been for several years to deploy environments that automatically scale based on demand so that 1) You aren't paying for resources that are not being used most of the year and 2) So the site automatically allocates more resources when needed rather than crashing. It's very easy and would likely cost a lot less money.

But it's government... in this case provincial but federal is the same. I think it took them 6 months to get new printer for printing PAL cards. Unless it is costing them votes and it's "mostly" functional, there is not going to be any incentive to fix it. I mean right now as it stands, because of COVID-19, they are not evening printing PAL licenses anymore. My wife renewed back in March, and the license has been approved, but she won't be getting a new card anytime soon. I am not sure why. Is there some big outbreak in Miramichi, NB preventing them from printing and mailing cards? The RCMP has no problem printing letters and mailing them to gun owners about how they might now be in possession of illegal guns. Hmm.

For now, I think it just "is what it is". Spreading the word is the best thing we can do to help people from getting burned. Whenever I tell others I am planning hunts with on what hunt code to apply for, I always emphasize not waiting until the last day. Of course my brother did... he said he was going to try at 4AM... not sure if he did or not yet :)

bangbangkhan
05-30-2020, 03:39 PM
Looks like everyone is on theirs computers today ��

REMINGTON JIM
05-30-2020, 05:03 PM

and that should make a DIFFERENCE to whether the System is FUNCTIONING properly ? I agree not to wait to the bitter end BUT some people have Legit reasons to ! :smile: What about the Parks system starting from the begining - should i wait 2-3 days ? ubtil they get it right and then all the places are reserved ? WTH ?
Quit making Excuses for our SAD SACK goverment ! There BAD enough already ! :mad: RJ

Krico
05-30-2020, 06:06 PM
This thread is about LEH, not parks.
Waiting until the last second to do ANYTHING in life is leaving much to chance.
Do you wait until morning of departure on your annual hunt to see if your gear is in working order? Do you wait until the day of your big bbq and then get pissy that the butcher shop was out of what you wanted?
All the whining reminds me of my teenage kids blaming everyone else. Take responsibility, learn your lesson and move on.

REMINGTON JIM
05-30-2020, 06:15 PM
This thread is about LEH, not parks.
Waiting until the last second to do ANYTHING in life is leaving much to chance.
Do you wait until morning of departure on your annual hunt to see if your gear is in working order? Do you wait until the day of your big bbq and then get pissy that the butcher shop was out of what you wanted?
All the whining reminds me of my teenage kids blaming everyone else. Take responsibility, learn your lesson and move on.

LMFFAO ! :lol: RJ

twoSevenO
05-30-2020, 06:21 PM
I agree with everyone on not waiting till last minute. That said, the government site is a major TURD and it's not surprising it crashes.

Bc doesnt even have that many hunters. Of those not everyone applies for LEH. And we have a site that crashes if theres even a couple thousand people on it during that ONE week out of the year and almost zero users the rest of the year.

If it was any worse it would be HBC

:)

REMINGTON JIM
05-30-2020, 06:26 PM
a LOT of people JUST don't think the GOV is NOT accountable for anything and LET them go on everything ! :sad: Oh Well ! RJ

caddisguy
05-30-2020, 06:43 PM
a LOT of people JUST don't think the GOV is accountable for anything and LET them go on everything ! :sad: Oh Well ! RJ

Oh I've complained a lot and screamed bloody murder. Pointed out the problems, provided the solution.

Definitely not giving them "a pass" on it, but suggesting hunters help hunters by spreading the word that the infrastructure/technology used is ancient thinking and poorly designed and can not be counted on to submit entries on the last day or two before the deadline.... so until it's fixed (probably never) definitely spread the word each year that the site is garbage and will crash on the last day or two and urge hunting buddies to submit their entries before then.

Although to be fair, without recourse there really isn't much accountability. What else can we do besides make noise? The only other recourse I can think of is to not vote for them, but I doubt many hunters would vote NDP to begin with, let alone after closing the grizz hunt based on a world wide email survey to establish "social acceptance"

REMINGTON JIM
05-30-2020, 07:12 PM
Cannot FIX STUPID :cry: Gov is Very Stupid ! RJ

limit time
05-30-2020, 08:02 PM
———————-Absolutely !!——————

tyreguy
05-30-2020, 08:07 PM
Where to draw the line???
i can tell you that next year on the last day of LEH’s the site will likely crash and somebody will not have their residency updated. Not my problem because I didn’t procrastinate again in 2021.
Can’t fix stupid, let nature sort them out.

huntcoop
05-30-2020, 08:09 PM
Do you wait until morning of departure on your annual hunt to see if your gear is in working order? Do you wait until the day of your big bbq and then get pissy that the butcher shop was out of what you wanted?...

Good gear always works and a reputable reliable butcher will have all the quality cuts, even 3.5 hours before closing.

Keta1969
05-30-2020, 09:19 PM
Typical of some. Oh I left it til the last minute and didn't get what I want. I'm a special snowflake. Boo f###g hoo. Grow up and apply early. I don't want to fund a cadillac system for a bunch of whiners that wait til the last minute. Rather see those monies spent elsewhere. As for the camping I agree it's a stupid system to have everyone trying for a spot on the 1st day. That is the opposite of what happened with leh. They gave you lots of time to apply so suck it up and try to remember to apply early next year.

northof49
05-31-2020, 07:00 AM
a LOT of people JUST don't think the GOV is NOT accountable for anything and LET them go on everything ! :sad: Oh Well ! RJ

The Parks res system sucks RJ...always thought it was too bad the province never had the foresight to set aside more areas for campgrounds. Will only get worse as the population keeps growing. Reservations prolly be going to Limited Entry Camping (LEC) System next:shock:

Redthies
05-31-2020, 07:03 AM

I have ZERO love for the NDP or frankly any government. But they are not at fault here. The website functions perfectly well for the first 99% of the LEH application window. Maybe you guys that missed out should learn to do it earlier next year? Again, it sucks that the site went down, but it’s not that hard to spend 15 minutes on this earlier in the window. Hell, just set a reminder in the calendar on your phone for mid May...

browningboy
05-31-2020, 07:51 AM
My odds just got better! :razz:

hopefully you can log in today...

northof49
05-31-2020, 07:53 AM
It's easy now and has been for several years to deploy environments that automatically scale based on demand so that 1) You aren't paying for resources that are not being used most of the year and 2) So the site automatically allocates more resources when needed rather than crashing. It's very easy and would likely cost a lot less money.

Bottom line......as Chris said above if easy fix with automatic scale based hosting then do it. They rake in a ton of our money from LEH that would easily cover the minor cost. We should not accept a mediocre system when there is an easy solution.

REMINGTON JIM
05-31-2020, 07:59 AM
http://huntingbc.ca/forum/images/shades_of_green/misc/quote_icon.png Originally Posted by caddisguy http://huntingbc.ca/forum/images/shades_of_green/buttons/viewpost-right.png (http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?p=2178059#post2178059)

Bottom line......as Chris said above if easy fix with automatic scale based hosting then do it. They rake in a ton of our money from LEH that would easily cover the minor cost. We should not accept a mediocre system when there is an easy solution.

Exactly ! For all You " you should have done it sooner - its not the govs fault " guys - it is the Govs FAULT ! jmo RJ

fearnodeer
05-31-2020, 08:07 AM
LOL I love it when guys wait till the last minute and increase my odds.

Keta1969
05-31-2020, 08:34 AM
I don't get you guys. If I head for a ferry on a long weekend and am one of the few cars that misses the last sailing, who's fault is that. Should they put on another sailing? At what cost? I did actually experience this and spent an uncomfortable night in the car, but I only had to look in the mirror to know who's fault it was. If you miss a flight because you had to have another cup of coffee and then the traffic was terrible, who's at fault? The airline? People that wait til the last minute to do something should not be surprised when it doesn't go well. Just apply during the WEEKS before the deadline. As someone else said, used to be guys bitching about the postal service or asking about couriers and wondering why can't it be done on line. Now you can do it in 5 minutes sitting at home and people are still bitching. Why? cause same as the mail they waited to long.

r106
05-31-2020, 08:49 AM
Should the government make a better faster system, yes
Will the majority of the people who submitted late and crashed the site and missed the deadline do the same thing next year, yup

nornscreek
05-31-2020, 09:31 AM
not to worry pretty soon you will have to go to your local band office to apply

REMINGTON JIM
05-31-2020, 09:46 AM
not to worry pretty soon you will have to go to your local band office to apply

Unfortunately I THINK you are correct Indians will be in charge of F&G in BC ! We can thank the Phucking New Dumb Pricks party for this ! :mad: RJ

hunter1947
05-31-2020, 11:42 AM

Good words can't agree with you more on your thoughts

hunter1947
05-31-2020, 11:44 AM
LOL I love it when guys wait till the last minute and increase my odds.

To funny LOL :lol::lol::lol:

grantk
05-31-2020, 04:18 PM
I don't get you guys. If I head for a ferry on a long weekend and am one of the few cars that misses the last sailing, who's fault is that. Should they put on another sailing? At what cost? I did actually experience this and spent an uncomfortable night in the car, but I only had to look in the mirror to know who's fault it was. If you miss a flight because you had to have another cup of coffee and then the traffic was terrible, who's at fault? The airline? People that wait til the last minute to do something should not be surprised when it doesn't go well. Just apply during the WEEKS before the deadline. As someone else said, used to be guys bitching about the postal service or asking about couriers and wondering why can't it be done on line. Now you can do it in 5 minutes sitting at home and people are still bitching. Why? cause same as the mail they waited to long.

I'm not arguing that I couldn't have logged in earlier and probably wouldn't have had a problem... I know full-well that is the case. I've submitted early every year up to now, and will be extra certain to submit early in the future. BUT, the point is that the only reason it's an issue is because of a poorly designed web service that took years to implement, undoubtedly cost a ton of our money to develop, and still has the same problem (apparently) every year. We're not talking huge volumes of traffic here... remember that LEH's were still entered manually up until a few years ago.

Since we're making up analogies, the correct analogy would be BC Ferries telling their customers that there's only 100 sailings available in September, and that you must login to their website and pay $6 per sailing that you'd like to have a chance at purchasing an actual ticket for a ride in September. BC Ferries says that you may not phone or mail-in your reservation requests, you must use their new website only. The website must be awesome, because they talked about it and delayed its release for years while it was perfected. No more waiting in lines or on hold, or trying to guess how many days Canada Post will take to get your reservation request delivered. This is a lucrative opportunity for BC Ferries, as there's no longer any overhead of customer service agents making reservations; they just can pocket all the revenue coming in.

They open the reservation window on April 22, and tell everyone that requests must be made by midnight on May 29th. For whatever reason, on May 29th you find yourself on BC Ferries website trying to login and pay for a reservation request several hours before their deadline. Maybe an old friend just called and said they'd be in BC in September and you want to visit, maybe you just got a new job and now have some time to travel in September that you didn't have before, or maybe you simply forgot to do it earlier... life's busy.

You try to login and the website is broken... nothing loads, just cryptic error messages. "That's weird," you think to yourself, "I just streamed the daily high-definition government announcement letting me know that 4 people out of 5 million caught COVID today, how can the BC Ferries site servicing a few islanders possibly be down? This is 2020, right?" You try again over the next few hours until the deadline passes, with no improvement.

Turns out that the new super-expensive, awesome website is just running on the old laptop in the corner of the summer intern's office who was put in charge of the project, and most of the money they've been making from the reservation program seems to have been directed elsewhere rather than making improvements to the ferry system, even to initiatives trying to phase out BC Ferries and cut off islanders from accessing the mainland. You try and point out to your fellow islanders that the BC ferry website should be much better equipped in this age to deal with known periods of heavy demand, especially given how much time and money was put into building it, and they remind you that as a paid-for service with no alternatives, BC Ferries has no obligation to ensure that they can continue serving their customers up until their own service deadline. LMAO. Oh well, there's always next year.

REMINGTON JIM
05-31-2020, 05:19 PM
At a BOY grantk ! You tell EM ! ALL The POS gov web site's should be working proper in this day and age ! No Excuses !
I HOPE a few of the Boy's miss out sometime and we will see then if they defend them then ! :wink: :lol: RJ

jac
05-31-2020, 07:21 PM
Bring on the point system and out with the old and in with the new. Systems should be working for all until the last min before deadline.

anyone know the date of the draws?

Maglic
05-31-2020, 07:37 PM
So do you blame Kal-tire for not having more local stores to access when it comes to changing out your tires?? The govt isn't going to spend countless extra dollars to be extra prepared for people who can't be bothered to to something well ahead of a set deadline. They aren't here to babysit but to allow you ease of access for 40+ days to apply for draws. They have to set a deadline obviously and its not there responsibility to cater to procrastination.
Absolutely disagree.
You can't compare tire store that is physical thing with online software application that can't scale and that is serious issue / bug.
Government does not need to spend "countless extra dollars" but spend allocated amount of our dollars right way and fix the issue once for all.
There is no excuse for repeated failures, they need to know what is the peek and fix the online app to handle so many user requests at the same time.
If they couldn't fix it in time than allow more time for those they failed to do so due to system failure.
You can't punish anyone for shopping last hour, period.

REMINGTON JIM
05-31-2020, 07:45 PM
Maglic is absolutely Correct ! You should be able to apply for LEH right to the Deadline ! But The SHEEP keep letting the incompetent GOV run them ! :tongue: LOL RJ

browningboy
05-31-2020, 08:16 PM
Absolutely disagree.

You can't punish anyone for shopping last hour, period.

Sure you can get punished, however it will be indirectly.. you may not get toilet paper, or the tit may be dry? Last minute shiet always something goes wrong, it shouldn’t in theory but in life it will.
At least if the site went down mid stream you have time left, but last minute? Not to sound bad but my odds are getting better!

Firstblood
05-31-2020, 09:21 PM
Nice story GrantTK but its not a good comparison at all. I applied at 5pm on the last day and the site was working just dandy, took me less than 5 mintutes from logging in to getting an email receipt, Id say the website works pretty damn good. I could have done it earlier but Ive been fishing and working everyday and god damn its June tomorrow?!?

grantk
05-31-2020, 09:50 PM
Nice story GrantTK but its not a good comparison at all. I applied at 5pm on the last day and the site was working just dandy, took me less than 5 mintutes from logging in to getting an email receipt, Id say the website works pretty damn good. I could have done it earlier but Ive been fishing and working everyday and god damn its June tomorrow?!?

Well I'm happy it worked for you at 5pm, but it definitely wasn't working from at least 8:30pm onwards.

twoSevenO
06-01-2020, 09:02 AM
Lots of folks here who don't understand how a website does (or should) work.
A website isn't a book everyone needs to have in their hand to write in their LEH entries, and no one else can write in it when someone else is using it.

It's a software system that should accept applications from everyone, at the same time. How does Netflix handle MILLIONS of added users when covid19 hits and everyone is home streaming shows and movies? Because it's a well designed system that's been prepared for a surge of users like that.

The LEH site has not, even though there are only TWO instances where it needs to handle high traffic: 1. The LEH application deadline and 2. LEH result release .... That's just TWO times out of the year they need to prepare to handle high traffic and they can't do it.

Government websites are generally quite bad. They don't have a "customer" per-se, so they don't care as much. Not like you're going to stop using a government site and go with the competition. It's why all their websites are outdated and not really that good.

tyreguy
06-01-2020, 09:51 AM
Hopefully you have a lesson learned as this site isn't providing a lot of sympathy. There are lots of fixes that could alleviate some of the crash potentials at the deadline but at the end of the day it is up to the person to get the draws in before the deadline.
Next time, do it earlier.

Well I'm happy it worked for you at 5pm, but it definitely wasn't working from at least 8:30pm onwards.

Fella
06-01-2020, 11:09 AM
Costs money to buy and maintain servers. Seems silly to spend that money to prepare for the 1 day each year the website goes down. I’d rather see that money go towards fish and wildlife...

warnniklz
06-01-2020, 12:31 PM
On one hand, I hope they allow an extention because I kind of want my odds for rosies to go down even more. Don't really want that draw, but I'll still go if I get it.

On the other hand, I hope they don't allow an extention. People know when the deadline is and have plenty of time to research and apply... even though the day we find out results, the internet is loaded with "I got ____ draw for region __... never been there, any info would be great" threads.

On one foot... you should be able to apply up to and including the deadline. But on the other foot... I always apply last minute, but feel no remorse to those who wait and can't get in.

Five
06-01-2020, 03:11 PM
A lot of posters here seem to be missing the point.

Though the lesson is clearly "apply earlier next time" that is self-evident and posting that is of zero value - unless those replying simply want to feel clever. (This is a form of the Scapegoating fallacy, since applicants could have applied earilier they are to blame for the LEH effectively closing hours before the official deadline.)

The point is that since the government is restricting hunting rights through an LEH in the first place, and applying an arbitrary deadline to the process (in the silicon age LEH results could be calculated near instantly, not many days later) and as we are forced to "do business' with the government without competition, the government has an obligation to ensure that applicants are treated fairly.

By denying applicants the ability to apply - hours earlier than the stated deadline - the government has failed in it's obligation serve hunters equitably and in "good faith".

HighCountryBC
06-01-2020, 03:22 PM
Some people think the government should spend hundreds of thousands of dollars on software to handle a surge in traffic for a couple hours every year. Those same people would be crying foul if the government spent hundreds of thousands to replace software that handles traffic just fine 99.999999% of the time.

If you knew leaving for work at 8am would put you smack in the middle of rush hour and make you late for work, would you leave earlier or tell your boss it's his fault for making you start too early?

Leaving anything to the last minute rarely goes without a few hiccups. LEH is no different, especially when this has been the norm every year since it went online. Have some accountability, it's no ones fault but your own for procrastinating.

northof49
06-01-2020, 06:24 PM
^^^^go back and read post 82.....if you don’t understand it read it again.....and again.

REMINGTON JIM
06-01-2020, 07:25 PM

Though the lesson is clearly "apply earlier next time" that is self-evident and posting that is of zero value - unless those replying simply want to feel clever. (This is a form of the Scapegoating fallacy, since applicants could have applied earilier they are to blame for the LEH effectively closing hours before the official deadline.)

The point is that since the government is restricting hunting rights through an LEH in the first place, and applying an arbitrary deadline to the process (in the silicon age LEH results could be calculated near instantly, not many days later) and as we are forced to "do business' with the government without competition, the government has an obligation to ensure that applicants are treated fairly.

By denying applicants the ability to apply - hours earlier than the stated deadline - the government has failed in it's obligation serve hunters equitably and in "good faith".

Absolutely Correct ! Some others on here should figure that out too ! :p RJ

grantk
06-01-2020, 08:03 PM
If you knew leaving for work at 8am would put you smack in the middle of rush hour and make you late for work, would you leave earlier or tell your boss it's his fault for making you start too early.

:lol: You're almost there, you just have your characters mixed up.

I don't know about you, but I don't pay my boss for me to show to work on time each day. You go to work to be paid in exchange for a service, and part of that agreement is that you will do whatever you need to do in order to show up on time and perform your job each day. When you know that there is going to be traffic, you dedicate extra time (at your cost) to your commute to ensure you can still arrive on time and uphold your end of the deal.

We (hunters, campers, BC taxpayers) are the "boss" in your scenario, paying the government to show up for work when they said they would, regardless of traffic.

LBM
06-01-2020, 08:12 PM
funny guys make time to come on here but couldnt make the time to apply.

HighCountryBC
06-01-2020, 08:37 PM

No kidding, it's always got to be someone else's fault.

Funny, outside of the people that waited to apply at the absolute last minute, the service was smooth and quick for everyone else.

grantk
06-01-2020, 08:42 PM
Like I said at the start, I don't particularly care that I missed the LEH deadline... there's a 98% probability that it would have made absolutely no difference to my hunting season anyways... I am still legitimately pissed-off about the camping reservation experience last week though, that's some BS.

It's the principle of it that's upsetting, and the attitude on here that we should just accept repeated failures on systems that we all pay into (not just LEH). It's not hard to imagine up a scenario were someone is screwed out of entering their LEHs becuase of the poor performance, through no fault of their own. Maybe you just completed your CORE, finally got your FWID and license, and are only eligible to log in on the last day. Maybe you work in a remote exploration camp with only satellite phone comms and just get back to civilization. Should they not be able to enter right up until the deadline and have a fair chance? You could probably argue that when the government specifies a to-the-minute 11:59pm deadline, and then warns not wait until the "last minute", that could reasonably be interpreted to mean don't wait until 11:58pm, otherwise you're good!

And truthfully, I just enjoy arguing with you guys.

Maglic
06-01-2020, 08:47 PM

TRUE

I do not understand the folks on this site that blame those applying "late", there is not such thing as "late" here, deadline was midnight,
When one side fails to honor the contract, adjustment has to be made in one form or the other.
Like allowing LEH for another week.

You guys are missing the point big time, you are so short sighted, next time it could happened to you, on this site or some other.
Me personally just lost LEH for Elk, everything else was in order few weeks ago, but feel sorry for those who missed it especially this year as many used to do paper work all those years.

Having web site that can't scale with the load increase is BAD, not fixing the issue is worse and not dealing with consequences is horrible example how to treat customers (in this case tax payers)

srthomas75
06-01-2020, 08:53 PM
Like I said at the start, I don't particularly care that I missed the LEH deadline... there's a 98% probability that it would have made absolutely no difference to my hunting season anyways... I am still legitimately pissed-off about the camping reservation experience last week though, that's some BS.

I think the camping site was overloaded this year because of the Covid. It's normally busy on the opening day but not like this year where they advertised the heck out of the online reservations are coming back.

twoSevenO
06-02-2020, 01:16 AM
Speaking of websites not working ..... the CRA's NETFILE does not accept your return between midnight and 3am .... LOL

what the hell is that? It's a website, not a store!
I had no idea a website had hours of operation.

tyreguy
06-02-2020, 08:59 AM
x3
Yup, no time to hunt either because they're too busy complaining about the system or arguing.
I hate the NDP just as much as the next guy, but grow up a bit and take responsibility for being a slug on your LEH applications.

Gun Dog
06-02-2020, 02:54 PM
Speaking of websites not working ..... the CRA's NETFILE does not accept your return between midnight and 3am .... LOL

what the hell is that? It's a website, not a store!
I had no idea a website had hours of operation.Lots of websites go offline daily or weekly for maintenance, software or hardware upgrades or backups. Modern mega-sites like Amazon of Shopify or Google were built with millions of PC type computers and have load balancing and automatic switching between hundreds of data centers. You'll never notice that parts of it are offline.

Steeleco
06-02-2020, 03:06 PM
How about we all wait weeks for a draw that should be done already, I mean computers and all!!