PDA

View Full Version : Spring black bear hunt 2020

Huntingtyler123
05-28-2020, 09:57 AM
Just arrived home last night from an amazing hunting trip. My friend James and I headed up from north van up into the caribou and the plan was to meet up with Steve rupp at camp. James and I have been waiting all year long to be able to head back up for our now annual spring black bear trip, beyond excited !

Before I get into our hunt I just want to give a BIG thank you to Steve and Susan. I was fortunate enough for Steve to pm me his number almost two years ago now. Chatted on the phone with him for an hour and a half for the first time. Planned our first bear hunt last year and was able to meet up with him in the bush.

Steve, you are the most generous, sincere - no bullshit guy I have had the pleasure to meet and to be able to call my friend. Incredibly knowledgeable and helpful. Teaching James and myself and passing down your knowledge for years to come. I am very thankful! I had a blast with you!

And for Susan she is just as amazing and helpful. She puts in a ton of work behind the scenes to help Steve get ready for his trips and was there to help me out this spring hunt. So thank you very much Susan.

now for the hunt...

Our trip was 7 days total with 5 full days of hunting. The weather was all over the map each day with only two sunny hot days and on those two hot days James and I where both able to get a bear. We saw bears everyday , calf/cow moose and grizzly bears as well. On the fourth night Steve and I were coming back to camp. We bump into this bear , I grab my rifle and place a shot into his shoulder/heart. I was very pleased with my shot placement and how fast it all seemed to take place. He went about 30-40 yds before he expired. Now this is my first ever black bear and my god he was a Huuge boar. Has grounded down his front middle teeth to pretty much nothing and thinking he’s around 8-9 years old. Six and a half foot bear at least. Beautiful white coloured Y patch under his chest to boot.
We get him gutted and back to camp to skin him up with Steve giving us very helpful tips along the way. It was a fairly late night before we were able to go to bed and try and repeat for tomorrow for my buddy James. On the last night James was able to harvest his nice black bear. Same thing , gutted him and back off to camp we go.

Was such an amazing trip and went by way to fast! Dropped off the meat this morning at the butcher and now ALL the pressure is off and I can relax.. now to unpack everything .. joy joy.

Pictures will come, I just have to figure out how to post them so they show up big on the screen. I’m sure I’m missing some other things to mention. The trip right now is kind of blended together as a blur in my mind. Have to still process everything that happened and relax lol.
Steve if you can PM me your mailing address please.
Tyler.

Huntingtyler123
05-28-2020, 10:17 AM
http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=7950&stc=1

Huntingtyler123
05-28-2020, 10:20 AM
I some one could help me upload some better pics that would be appreciated! I have a very hard time trying to post them up and now I can’t add any more.

srupp
05-28-2020, 11:50 AM
Tyler JUST in from Stephen Rutherford..walked in looked at all the bears in...and one HUGE bear he had brought in..
he looked to show me yours..couldn't find it..Hmm mm

YUP that HUGE BEAR HANGING WAS...YOURS !
Send me a email..you REALLY need to see your bear..lol

Steven
Congrads again

srupp
05-29-2020, 02:41 PM
Hmm I'm headed out to the travel trailer with a coffee..I'm supposed to be washing floors.l however I'm going to lay on the couch and drink coffee and think back on James..Tyler..our adventure.
steven

Huntingtyler123
05-29-2020, 03:36 PM
Haha yes I can relate, day dreaming of being back out hunting already

Bubbacanuck
05-29-2020, 04:12 PM
Congrats HT123! You and James were lucky to have Srupp take you under his wing. I have a place up near Deka Lake, I am hopeful to get up to there in the coming weeks and harvest my first bear as well :)

Huntingtyler123
05-29-2020, 05:13 PM
Thank you! Yes very fortunate to have someone like Steven pass and Share his knowledge down to the next generation of hunters. I’m forever grateful and he’s one hell of a great/ knowledgeable person. Some people may wonder why he took a shining to us. I’ve dived fully into this hunting lifestyle, I absolutely love it. I want to learn as much as I can and I do realize it takes years and years of experience. Steve was teaching us the entire day everyday, trying to soak in as much as I could. Wasn’t honeyholes and al that jazz. We put in the work way before this hunt took place and especially during the hunt. James and I were out alllll day long trying to piece together every helpful tip from Steve and to do it ourselves. It was a great experience and I’ll always remember this trip! Not only because of the bear but because of everything we learned and the great company and friendship from steve

srupp
05-29-2020, 06:59 PM
Hmm my privilege, pleasure..you 2 guys will do well..the desire..and willingness to work..and invest in your hunting future..
I too will fondly remember this adventure.thank you both.
Cheers
Your friends
Susan & Steven Rupp
PS globalstar changed their minds..lol they can not use any photo with a deceased harvested animal regardless of how tactfully it is displayed, lack of blood..etc..Hmm mm James was correct.

Arctic Lake
05-29-2020, 09:04 PM
Steven is very good with sharing his knowledge with others . Many hunters come from a non hunting upbringing and those that are willing to share their knowledge are a treasure chest full of advice and knowledge !
Arctic Lake

IronNoggin
05-30-2020, 11:42 AM
I some one could help me upload some better pics that would be appreciated! I have a very hard time trying to post them up and now I can’t add any more.

Sending you a pm. Email me your pictures and I will host and post them for you like I do for Elmer...

Cheers,
Nog

caddisguy
05-30-2020, 04:18 PM
Way to go! Congrats to all involved and big thanks to srupp for helping out so many HBC'ers. This kind of stuff really makes the site feel like a community.

Huntingtyler123
05-30-2020, 04:33 PM
Sending you a pm. Email me your pictures and I will host and post them for you like I do for Elmer...

Cheers,
Nog

thank you nog! Email sent

Huntingtyler123
05-30-2020, 04:33 PM
Way to go! Congrats to all involved and big thanks to srupp for helping out so many HBC'ers. This kind of stuff really makes the site feel like a community.

thank you very much caddisguy. I very much agree

Huntingtyler123
05-30-2020, 04:51 PM
https://youtu.be/9p1RFhPYodQ

link to a time lapse of our bear skinning it

IronNoggin
05-31-2020, 11:29 AM
Here are Tyler's pictures Folks:

https://i.imgur.com/v9FfC47.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/SblklTh.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/bjf2n6X.jpg

That right there is a bruin any seasoned hunter would be right proud of!! https://www.tnof.ca/styles/default/xenforo/smilies/Pozitive.gif
Going to be tough to top your first Sir!!
But I am certain you will be trying!!

Cheers & Congrats!
Nog

LBM
05-31-2020, 12:11 PM
Congrats great looking bear, the brown one of srupps is a beauty as well.

Bugle M In
05-31-2020, 12:35 PM
Good stuff.........

Deer_Slayer
06-02-2020, 06:58 PM
nice bear!

Huntingtyler123
06-02-2020, 08:29 PM
Thanks guys!

DannyO
06-02-2020, 08:54 PM
That’s so cool

srupp
06-13-2020, 03:19 PM
Hmmm great photos Tyler..

thanks Matt for technical help.

Stump..dumb as a stump..lol

wideopenthrottle
06-13-2020, 03:51 PM
well done guys...way to go!!!

srupp
03-02-2021, 11:13 PM
Hmm mm dreaming back on last year's hunt..and Tyler's gargantuan bear..headed out this week to pick up my auburn bear hide..and will post photo or 2 plus send a photo of Tyler's bear to him..
We saw so many bear last spring that we never did get to THE area that I feel hosts the biggest bears...
Maybe this spring !
Srupp

Huntingtyler123
03-03-2021, 08:05 PM
Been dreaming about bear hunt for months now haha, it’s my favourite hunt. Me and go go gadget have been talking lots about our camp setup and not getting wet this time ..

srupp
03-04-2021, 12:10 AM
Hmm ya kinda like my 27 foot fibreglass tent lol..only time I get wet..taking a shower..
You guys showed determination on what can be done with an inexpensive used tent and $100 worth of new Cambodian tire tarps.
There is no quit in you 2 truly impressive.
It was appreciated that you guys soaked in so much..I tried to concentrate on everything from basics on up..trying to share what I have learned in over 45 years in this hunting stuff.Clayton Mack..Betty Franks..Gerry Bracewell.. I have been blessed to have learned from some of the best over decades and now blessed to pass it on..mentoring..
It has been said that you never truly know something untill you can teach it and pass that knowledge on..
With knowledge one keeps repeating..Fine tuning and with this repeating comes experience. .and with knowledge and experience comes success..
Thanks guys for letting me pass on to the future generations what I learned from the past..Betty,Clayton..Gerry have passed..leaving it up to your generation..aim true..and don't forget to SMILE..
CHEERS MY FRIENDS
Steven

Huntingtyler123
03-06-2021, 04:48 PM
Thank you Srupp for you very kind words, means a lot . Camp setup will be only getting better and better each year haha. Is Betty the only person out of that group that had a book? I read her book about her and loved it.

srupp
03-06-2021, 10:49 PM
No there are books on Gerry Bracewell..and lots on Clayton Mack..in Bettys book some of the photos are mine..enjoyed being interviewed by Sage Birchwater..lol unfortunately most of my stories although true..could not be used...lol
Cheers
Steven

Huntingtyler123
04-12-2021, 05:08 PM
Anyone post some pics for me? I can email them to you. Thank you!! Pics of the finished rug

caddisguy
04-12-2021, 10:44 PM
Anyone post some pics for me? I can email them to you. Thank you!! Pics of the finished rug

Sending you a PM with my email address. I'm tapping out for the night be can most certainly post them up here for you tomorrow.

Huntingtyler123
04-13-2021, 05:48 AM
Sending you a PM with my email address. I'm tapping out for the night be can most certainly post them up here for you tomorrow.

thanks again caddisguy for helping me out

caddisguy
04-13-2021, 08:09 AM
And drum roll...

Here are the rug pictures of Tyler's bear. Looks great!

https://i.imgur.com/q9RnY3v.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/2h5QN2A.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/OrvVgGo.jpg

Arctic Lake
04-13-2021, 08:15 AM
Very nice !
Arctic Lake

BiohazardHands
04-13-2021, 09:16 AM
What does one charge to have such an amazing piece of craftsmanship done?

sakohunter
04-13-2021, 09:39 AM
Wow that is impressive looking bear mount to go with a great hunt and memories. Congratulations!!

I am wondering how the meat turned out for you guys? What was the best thing you did with it and what would you not do again. It has always been a question that I ask. I always buy a black bear tag, but ike many people I don't fill it. This year I feel like it is going to happen and as a hunter and conservationist i want to utilize the whole animal. Who did the Taxidermy work for you?

Huntingtyler123
04-13-2021, 09:57 AM
Thanks guys,
I really enjoy bear meat, I think it tastes delicious! I just took it to a quality butcher out in pit meadows. Steve Rutherford out in 150 mile did the incredible work. Can’t go wrong with pepperoni or ground meat
I’d rather not share his price online. It was worth it for me for this beautiful bear

Bubbacanuck
04-13-2021, 10:49 AM
Manny in Pitt Meadows, does great butcher work. Taken him many deer, as well as, a bear & a moose. Always turned out amazing. Bear rug like that should run around $1,500-$2,000 depending but can vary when adding in a skull whitening etc. Nothing beats Manny's bear chorizo wine sausage!

IronNoggin
04-13-2021, 11:52 AM
BEAUTY Boar!
Great job on the rug!

Congrats yet again!
Nog

tuffteddyb
04-13-2021, 01:26 PM
Great hunt! Great bear! Kudo's too Srupp for helping you out!
Srupp lives in my hometown, never had the honor of meeting the
gentleman tho.
Think I saw your bear when I was at Steve's the other day and it was awesome!
Congratulations again!
I want to get out and try to get another one this spring. Got hooked when I harvested
a nice one last fall.

boilerroom
04-13-2021, 04:39 PM
What a gorgeous animal. Congrats and thanks all that contributed to getting it shared!

LBM
04-13-2021, 04:44 PM
Very nice bear and rug, was the white patch on his chest that much off center.

Huntingtyler123
04-13-2021, 05:07 PM
Very nice bear and rug, was the white patch on his chest that much off center.

ya wasn’t dead centre , was a weird Y shape
and thank you :)

Huntingtyler123
04-19-2021, 06:58 PM
How do you hang a bear on the wall with light damaging it? Just got it back home tonight. How would you attach the bear to the wall hanging?

Huevos
04-25-2021, 10:53 AM
If your bear is not in direct sunlight, it will be OK for years to come. I wouldn't worry too much about it. The sun will fade it evenly so you won't notice it. I like to use thumbtacks to hang it. Use lots and do it evenly and it will stay up. What did the skull on that bear measure out to?

JcNemo
05-03-2021, 02:46 PM
Where did you send the bear for the taxidermy? There are too many places, I don't know which one is good. Last fall, I contacted a few, and they say it will take about 18 month to 24 month to get it done. But yours seems done within 12 month.

srupp
05-04-2021, 06:42 PM
hmm hey T..LOOKED at your photos of your awesome bear..just tough to gauge just how big he truly is...the hide was primo..as in perfect..massive head and mitts..pretty impossible to beat..and Stephen Rutherford did an awesome job on making it show very well.
if i could make a point TYLER...2 days before your kick ass shot we actually saw his tracks..at first i thought and said i think its a grizzly we reversed and upon further inspection i said NO its a very large black bear..pegged him at about 7 feet from his tracks.
we spent time at further OUT spots and time at closer spots..with the idea of spending time near the tracks..it worked this time .
so in 2 years you got on 2....7 foot bears..although 13 kms apart trails and maps and 30 years made it very do able .
in 30 years not one year i could not have harvested 2 bears..every year.
again TYLER only years from now will you realize just how special a bear YOU harvested it literally checks all the boxes.perfect.
well done my friends..James too
steven

Huntingtyler123
05-07-2021, 08:18 AM
hmm hey T..LOOKED at your photos of your awesome bear..just tough to gauge just how big he truly is...the hide was primo..as in perfect..massive head and mitts..pretty impossible to beat..and Stephen Rutherford did an awesome job on making it show very well.
if i could make a point TYLER...2 days before your kick ass shot we actually saw his tracks..at first i thought and said i think its a grizzly we reversed and upon further inspection i said NO its a very large black bear..pegged him at about 7 feet from his tracks.
we spent time at further OUT spots and time at closer spots..with the idea of spending time near the tracks..it worked this time .
so in 2 years you got on 2....7 foot bears..although 13 kms apart trails and maps and 30 years made it very do able .
in 30 years not one year i could not have harvested 2 bears..every year.
again TYLER only years from now will you realize just how special a bear YOU harvested it literally checks all the boxes.perfect.
well done my friends..James too
steven

thank you Steven! Yes I remember seeing this tracks , very cool. That bear is very special to me already, the entire experience and the memories made, that’s what it is about for me. Hope yours ping well and feeling better.

Huntingtyler123
01-09-2022, 02:25 PM
Update, had the skull measured officially and came out to 20 1/16! Was able to just weasel myself in there with a 20” minimum measurement , one black bear to remember Srupp!

twoSevenO
01-09-2022, 06:28 PM
Right on. So what was the officially length measurement on him?

Great bear.

Huntingtyler123
01-10-2022, 12:17 PM
12 15/16 long and 7 1/8 wide , very cool to finally get him measured,

srupp
01-10-2022, 02:58 PM
awesome bear T..you earned him.you have seen some big bears over the past 2 years.
where you went first year..there IS a pig of a boar in there..behind our first camp BIG RED was there again last fall..and we STILL havnt HIT the high alpine cuts.
congrads buddy
steven

twoSevenO
01-10-2022, 06:54 PM
12 15/16 long and 7 1/8 wide , very cool to finally get him measured,

What about the hide? 7 foot something?