PDA

View Full Version : Srupp and friend's spring bear trip..

srupp
05-27-2020, 12:46 PM
Hmm another year in the books..for the dude who rides side saddle like a girl..lol
just in from 12 days..lunch..shower....I will write something out..and hope my BUD Matt will post some photos of any bears..lol
Cheers
srupp

Leaseman
05-27-2020, 12:53 PM
Welcome back buddy!

Hope it was action packed trip!

charlie_horse
05-27-2020, 12:56 PM
Look forward to hearing about it!

bchunter181
05-27-2020, 06:10 PM
hope you guys had better luck than we did!

srupp
05-27-2020, 07:23 PM
hope you guys had better luck than we did!

Sent you PM...
Cheers
Steven

srupp
05-27-2020, 07:28 PM
Hmm spoiler alert. .3 hunters
3 bears..
Steven

Arctic Lake
05-27-2020, 07:34 PM
Looking forward to the stories and pictures !
Arctic Lake

Springer
05-27-2020, 07:40 PM
Way to go on the Bears..Arent you supposed to clean the trailer up and put your gear away before story time begins.....I know I know now....This Bear hunting thing is way more fun than i thought.
You should just open an imgur account to post your pics you took.
Congrats to your group.

srupp
05-27-2020, 07:45 PM
Way to go on the Bears..Arent you supposed to clean the trailer up and put your gear away before story time begins.....I know I know now....This Bear hunting thing is way more fun than i thought.
You should just open an imgur account to post your pics you took.
Congrats to your group.

Thanks Phil..congrads on your bear too.
Trailer doesn't need cleaning..I'm headed out again for 2 weeks fly fishing...at " throw your sandwich in the water " lake
Words don't do justice to 2 of the bears..photos are required.
But first off to taxidermist in AM.
CHEERS Bro
Steven

whognu
05-27-2020, 07:46 PM
Hmm another year in the books..for the dude who rides side saddle like a girl..lol
just in from 12 days..lunch..shower....I will write something out..and hope my BUD Matt will post some photos of any bears..lol
Cheers
srupp

yessiree.......don't be shy

giddy up

The Hermit
05-27-2020, 07:54 PM
subscribing to the thread... scotch poured and waiting...

Huntingtyler123
05-27-2020, 08:23 PM
Can’t wait for your write up Steve. Best trip to date and proud to call you my friend. Just home now and organizing. Will post my thread tomorrow!

Hoffer
05-27-2020, 08:43 PM
Looking forwards to hearing the tale!

srupp
05-27-2020, 09:01 PM
Can’t wait for your write up Steve. Best trip to date and proud to call you my friend. Just home now and organizing. Will post my thread tomorrow!

Glad you 2 gents are home safe.
You and J are welcome around my campfire anytime...
I would really appreciate a hardcopy of you and your bear on the front of the quad ?
I'm at the taxidermist tomorrow too.
Hmm lol..only time will tell you how great a trip we all experienced.
Cheers my friend
Steven

IronNoggin
05-28-2020, 10:55 AM
Apologies on the delayed pix Folks!
Forgot about them, and was busy in the yard all bloody morning... https://www.tnof.ca/styles/default/xenforo/smilies/Doh.gif

However, without any further adieu...

https://i.imgur.com/sRLzy6C.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/pF2as4w.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/TssVIep.jpg

Nice size to that one!! https://www.tnof.ca/styles/default/xenforo/smilies/Pozitive.gif

Continued...

IronNoggin
05-28-2020, 10:59 AM
https://i.imgur.com/TiVACYb.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/Hu4nvSV.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/kSXRcwi.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/4Ay43Gs.jpg

Drop Dead Gorgeous color and hide on this one!! https://www.tnof.ca/styles/default/xenforo/smilies/Pozitive.gif

Congratulations Indeed! Well Done my friend!

Cheers,
Nog

Huntingtyler123
05-28-2020, 11:24 AM
Thank you Nog for posting some up!

srupp
05-28-2020, 11:53 AM
Thank you Matt..I sent you one last one from taxidermy shop that shows the beast size...

Appreciate your help always my friend

Steven

IronNoggin
05-28-2020, 11:59 AM
Thank you Matt..I sent you one last one from taxidermy shop that shows the beast size...

Any time Buddy!

And yep, that one is indeed a Biggie!!

https://i.imgur.com/jQkEc3y.jpg

Cheers!
Nog

Springer
05-28-2020, 01:35 PM
Good job on the cape prep Elmer. Have fun at lost sandwich lake.

srupp
05-28-2020, 03:58 PM
Hmm story is done, Susan will proofread and type tomorrow
steven

john-brennan
05-28-2020, 06:35 PM
Beautiful looking bear

Arctic Lake
05-28-2020, 08:50 PM
Great hunt you had fellas !Congrats to you !
Arctic Lake

Rattler
05-28-2020, 09:10 PM
Very nice collection of bears, congratulations! The brown one is a beauty for sure...

srupp
05-29-2020, 05:11 AM
Very nice collection of bears, congratulations! The brown one is a beauty for sure...
thanks Rattler..Susan says it's Auburn color ? Hmm ?
And that he CAN come hang around and live with us..yippee. .
Story will be out today..
I just couldn't keep up with 2 men 1/2 my age. .go from morning till late at night..lol far past my curfew. .
This Bear had the most amazing color and complete coat I had seen in many years..plus sausage material.
confusing part..I keep hearing of making lots of pounds of sausages off just 1 bear....I could only find 1 sausage ?..lol
Cheers
Steven

Leaseman
05-29-2020, 07:12 AM
Well done buddy!

Nice to see you still do the one liner groaners!

HankBC
05-29-2020, 08:20 AM
Beauty of a beast! Congratulations fellas, looks like great success. Eagerly awaiting your write up, I'll be smoking some chickens on the patio tonight with your great reading material.

Can't wait Steven! Cheers,

weatherby_man
05-29-2020, 08:27 AM
Nice looking bear there! Way to go guys.

hunterdon
05-29-2020, 08:48 AM
I really like the color on that bear. Almost a burgundy color, and plush. Very nice!!!

MDR
05-29-2020, 11:02 AM
Way to go, some nice bears there.
We did a similar trip (3 people and 3 bears) this spring up here. Your bears definitely take the cake though, big and great hides.

srupp
05-29-2020, 11:06 AM
So where do we start…well actually before the beginning…For me it starts with planning & that includes several scouting trips to check for snow melt, road conditions & grass greening. Susan & I went out 3 times & unfortunately my long-time bear area was in the process of being logged. So I found an adjacent valley & the new camp spot with some trails to get back into uncharted territory.
I headed out on May 16th with my 27 foot travel trailer, Ford truck, ATV, & all related hunting gear I thought I would need. I had contacted Tyler & James to inform them of where I would be with GPS location of camp. Arriving there, I set about getting the camp & ATV ready.
Later that afternoon I headed out in a bad windstorm ~ when it started to rain I parked under a big cottonwood tree when suddenly something hit me from behind on my helmet, pounding me off the ATV & on to the ground. Slowly getting up I realized a lower branch/limb had broken off in the wind & fallen, hitting me on the head ~ subsequently breaking some switches on my quad.
I was sitting there a little dazed when I noticed movement off into the cut block & out stepped a beautiful elk ~ I had never seen an elk in Horsefly. Then I caught more movement & out stepped a magnificent reddish-brown (auburn) boar bear. I spent nearly 30 minutes observing him ~ I really wasn’t interested in shooting another bear & promised James I would not shoot a bear before they got there. However, this bear had almost everything ~ a magnificent coat with not a rub when glassed in the round. It had a well- rounded head with a yellow muzzle, big paws with wonderful claws & certainly mature.
The bear was at 120 yards, so I chose my 338 with 225 grain Barnes TSX & aimed for the heart, as this bear was for meat. So with just 45 minutes left until the end of the first day I slowly squeezed the trigger & the bear raced off as never been touched…WTH? Shot looked good, it felt good, but apparently that wasn’t enough for the bear. Because it was getting dark I decided to back out & go back to camp. After a long restless night, at 7:00 on the morning of May 17th I slowly walked in to where I’d last seen the bear. And only 40 feet from where I shot him, there he lay. One and only shot had taken out the top of his heart. I took 3 or 4 pictures after I had cut my tag & proceeded with the gutting process, caping the bear & securing the meat. That afternoon I raced home to Williams Lake & put the hide & meat into the freezer & headed back to camp. The next couple of days were spent making my camp more comfortable & waiting for Tyler & James.
Once the gentlemen arrived they set up camp & we started looking for bears for them. We used the 3 ATVs to enter secluded logging cuts via remote trails & other hidden areas I had found over the last 25 years ~ sometimes we travelled 13 km. to get from one valley to the next.
We saw plenty of bears…one large grizzly, brown coloured ~ Braden & I had seen this bear several years ago ~ he was now an 8 foot, 500 pound plus adult grizzly! 20 minutes later we saw a 6.5 foot silvertip grizzly & minutes later, another black bear. There were plenty of moose & moose sign. Part of hunting is getting back into these remote areas & enjoying the serenity & isolation…well, we call it self- isolation…LOL
One evening I was headed with Tyler from one area to another. We rounded the corner & off in the distance I spotted an amazingly big black bear ~ we actually had seen his tracks several days before. As this would be Tyler’s first bear, I knew he would be feeling anxious & strung out so I neglected to mention to him the size of this brute on purpose…I merely said “get ready…shoot.” Tyler made a very good shot & then the three of us proceeded to search for the bear & TYLER ended up recovering his own bear! Upon seeing the bear I commented that this would be one of the biggest bears shot this year ~ it ended up being the biggest bear being brought in to Stephen Rutherford’s taxidermy studio.
If you look at the picture of the bear on the ATV you notice the distance between his massive shoulders, with a beautiful yellow stripe V on his chest, straight arms with no wrists. The pad width on the front was between 5 ½ and 5 ¾ inches. The claws were long & not worn down. This bear was fresh from hibernation – his head was wide & his teeth worn down to the gums in front. The shot was perfect ~ right on the point of the shoulder. For Tyler’s first bear I don’t know how he’s ever going to best it! Tyler took his brute into Stephen Rutherford’s. The meat was washed down in vinegar & water, then put on ice.
We continued hunting & found a nice bear for James & he harvested his second bear ~ his first being last year.
We saw numerous other bear hunters & none had even seen a bear, let alone harvested one. We ended up with 3 bears for 3 hunters.
I try to pass along & mentor other hunters ~ I never guess ~ I don’t bullshit & I share everything I have, everything I know.
I know the gentlemen enjoyed the hunt, scenery, the animals & experience. I hope they learned & improved upon their hunting knowledge & love of the outdoors.
I know that many hunters here don’t appreciate the use of ATVs, however, they have their place if used correctly & responsibly as a tool. I honestly think (know) that a lot of our success was by being able to access a large area with hidden accesses on unknown trails & in the process use less than 5 gallons of fuel in 12 days!
Thank you Tyler & James for being so respectful, courteous & helpful. I know I am old and ill, however, I did the best I could. And the results speak for themselves ~ look what we did!
As with all successes, the size of the animal & numbers don’t tell the whole story; as the photos do not do justice to the magnificence of the animals, whose lives we harvested. Skulls will be kept as trophies & hides preserved, with meat utilized as food.
I’m sad this bear hunt is over…and I’m looking forward to next spring.

Steven Rupp

TARCHER
05-29-2020, 11:20 AM
Thats awesome Steve

fuzzybiscuit
05-29-2020, 11:20 AM
Thanks for posting up the story Elmer! Sounds like a great trip.

I wish more stories with pics were posted up these days and if we all make a consorted effort to do so we may get this place back to the same site we all joined.

Cheers!

HankBC
05-29-2020, 11:22 AM
Fantastic and congratulations to the three of you!! Saved some fawns in the process.

IronNoggin
05-29-2020, 12:31 PM
The story was even better than hearing it over the phone! Well Done!!

Congrats to all for a fun & successful hunt!
And Congrats & Thanks to The Mentor for doing what he does!! https://www.tnof.ca/styles/default/xenforo/smilies/Pozitive.gif

Cheers,
Nog

srupp
05-29-2020, 12:46 PM
Thank you Matt..your always there to help me regardless of my foolishness..your helpful..smart literate..better looking ..you styling..
thank you for repeatadly posting photos and answering my questions
Appreciate you
Steven

srupp
05-29-2020, 12:52 PM
I have not nearly mentioned the 3rd equal member of our group..James always ready to jump in and help regardless, lots of great questions..had his chances when they occurred.
His bear was black and shot on the last day for the meat, James did an awesome job relentless in tracking.
Very very good ATV rider..and King Of the latest gear..gadgets. .clothes..
In fact to have an average bear there have to be big bears and smaller sized bears.
All 3 bears were judged prior to harvest to ensure they were males..all 3 were males.
Thanks James..a prince among men.
Steven

Spy
05-29-2020, 01:27 PM
Very Kool well done guys. :-)

weatherby_man
05-29-2020, 02:08 PM
Cool story and great job.

caddisguy
05-30-2020, 04:49 PM
So where do we start…well actually before the beginning…For me it starts with planning & that includes several scouting trips to check for snow melt, road conditions & grass greening. Susan & I went out 3 times & unfortunately my long-time bear area was in the process of being logged. So I found an adjacent valley & the new camp spot with some trails to get back into uncharted territory.
I headed out on May 16th with my 27 foot travel trailer, Ford truck, ATV, & all related hunting gear I thought I would need. I had contacted Tyler & James to inform them of where I would be with GPS location of camp. Arriving there, I set about getting the camp & ATV ready.
Later that afternoon I headed out in a bad windstorm ~ when it started to rain I parked under a big cottonwood tree when suddenly something hit me from behind on my helmet, pounding me off the ATV & on to the ground. Slowly getting up I realized a lower branch/limb had broken off in the wind & fallen, hitting me on the head ~ subsequently breaking some switches on my quad.
I was sitting there a little dazed when I noticed movement off into the cut block & out stepped a beautiful elk ~ I had never seen an elk in Horsefly. Then I caught more movement & out stepped a magnificent reddish-brown (auburn) boar bear. I spent nearly 30 minutes observing him ~ I really wasn’t interested in shooting another bear & promised James I would not shoot a bear before they got there. However, this bear had almost everything ~ a magnificent coat with not a rub when glassed in the round. It had a well- rounded head with a yellow muzzle, big paws with wonderful claws & certainly mature.
The bear was at 120 yards, so I chose my 338 with 225 grain Barnes TSX & aimed for the heart, as this bear was for meat. So with just 45 minutes left until the end of the first day I slowly squeezed the trigger & the bear raced off as never been touched…WTH? Shot looked good, it felt good, but apparently that wasn’t enough for the bear. Because it was getting dark I decided to back out & go back to camp. After a long restless night, at 7:00 on the morning of May 17th I slowly walked in to where I’d last seen the bear. And only 40 feet from where I shot him, there he lay. One and only shot had taken out the top of his heart. I took 3 or 4 pictures after I had cut my tag & proceeded with the gutting process, caping the bear & securing the meat. That afternoon I raced home to Williams Lake & put the hide & meat into the freezer & headed back to camp. The next couple of days were spent making my camp more comfortable & waiting for Tyler & James.
Once the gentlemen arrived they set up camp & we started looking for bears for them. We used the 3 ATVs to enter secluded logging cuts via remote trails & other hidden areas I had found over the last 25 years ~ sometimes we travelled 13 km. to get from one valley to the next.
We saw plenty of bears…one large grizzly, brown coloured ~ Braden & I had seen this bear several years ago ~ he was now an 8 foot, 500 pound plus adult grizzly! 20 minutes later we saw a 6.5 foot silvertip grizzly & minutes later, another black bear. There were plenty of moose & moose sign. Part of hunting is getting back into these remote areas & enjoying the serenity & isolation…well, we call it self- isolation…LOL
One evening I was headed with Tyler from one area to another. We rounded the corner & off in the distance I spotted an amazingly big black bear ~ we actually had seen his tracks several days before. As this would be Tyler’s first bear, I knew he would be feeling anxious & strung out so I neglected to mention to him the size of this brute on purpose…I merely said “get ready…shoot.” Tyler made a very good shot & then the three of us proceeded to search for the bear & TYLER ended up recovering his own bear! Upon seeing the bear I commented that this would be one of the biggest bears shot this year ~ it ended up being the biggest bear being brought in to Stephen Rutherford’s taxidermy studio.
If you look at the picture of the bear on the ATV you notice the distance between his massive shoulders, with a beautiful yellow stripe V on his chest, straight arms with no wrists. The pad width on the front was between 5 ½ and 5 ¾ inches. The claws were long & not worn down. This bear was fresh from hibernation – his head was wide & his teeth worn down to the gums in front. The shot was perfect ~ right on the point of the shoulder. For Tyler’s first bear I don’t know how he’s ever going to best it! Tyler took his brute into Stephen Rutherford’s. The meat was washed down in vinegar & water, then put on ice.
We continued hunting & found a nice bear for James & he harvested his second bear ~ his first being last year.
We saw numerous other bear hunters & none had even seen a bear, let alone harvested one. We ended up with 3 bears for 3 hunters.
I try to pass along & mentor other hunters ~ I never guess ~ I don’t bullshit & I share everything I have, everything I know.
I know the gentlemen enjoyed the hunt, scenery, the animals & experience. I hope they learned & improved upon their hunting knowledge & love of the outdoors.
I know that many hunters here don’t appreciate the use of ATVs, however, they have their place if used correctly & responsibly as a tool. I honestly think (know) that a lot of our success was by being able to access a large area with hidden accesses on unknown trails & in the process use less than 5 gallons of fuel in 12 days!
Thank you Tyler & James for being so respectful, courteous & helpful. I know I am old and ill, however, I did the best I could. And the results speak for themselves ~ look what we did!
As with all successes, the size of the animal & numbers don’t tell the whole story; as the photos do not do justice to the magnificence of the animals, whose lives we harvested. Skulls will be kept as trophies & hides preserved, with meat utilized as food.
I’m sad this bear hunt is over…and I’m looking forward to next spring.

Steven Rupp

Wow! Excellent write-up. Thank you!

The part about the meat being washed down with water and vinegar, is that mainly to destroy any fly eggs that might have been deposited during field dressing or are there other benefits for preservation or other?

I recall (not sure if recollection is correct) that it protects from flies (black pepper too), like a repellent. Some "hot day" hunts I have packed a spray bottle with a 50/50 mix in a spray bottle. Sure wish I had it with me back in 2017. I had swarms (hundreds) of huge flies everywhere... just ruthless, I had to bone it out while I was skinning and not skin back more fur needed to cut out meat at any given time then plop it in the game bags right away... even then, they were still all over it. Always appreciate your wealth of knowledge.

srupp
05-30-2020, 05:57 PM
Hmm for drive in hunts 70 % vinegar. .30 % water..lowers PH level and helps the meat stay in better shape for butchering
for fly in hunts citric acid/water does the same thing..extends the best before date by 3..4..5 days.
I'm not certain about also deterring flies..however as a acid it seems reasonable that it would also clean., repel?

The bear went into ice cooler ASAP. .washed with vinegar. Water..didn't hear of any issues at the butchers/ sausage making.
The citric acid really weighs nothing..and really helps on August sheep hunts..warm fall moose hunts.
Steven

caddisguy
05-30-2020, 06:17 PM
Hmm for drive in hunts 70 % vinegar. .30 % water..lowers PH level and helps the meat stay in better shape for butchering
for fly in hunts citric acid/water does the same thing..extends the best before date by 3..4..5 days.
I'm not certain about also deterring flies..however as a acid it seems reasonable that it would also clean., repel?

The bear went into ice cooler ASAP. .washed with vinegar. Water..didn't hear of any issues at the butchers/ sausage making.
The citric acid really weighs nothing..and really helps on August sheep hunts..warm fall moose hunts.
Steven

Good to know. I will try 70/30 mix next time around regardless of heat or flies. Usually we get the meat home and in the fridge same day, freezer same day or next. Sometimes if a bear is shot late and we know it will be below 7 most of the night, we cool it in the creek (meat in a rubbermaid) and then just have it sit at camp the night... drive it home the next day. So far so good, but any meat spoilage or even quality loss is always a concern. Anyway thanks again and sorry for the derail

bennya
06-01-2020, 06:50 PM
Congrats and great story!!

Tim Tam Slam
06-04-2020, 01:09 PM
Thank you srupp! Beautiful bears :)

chuckerb
06-09-2020, 12:58 PM
I would love to meet you and pass some time as at 68 times movin fast.

BearStump
06-12-2020, 05:06 PM
What he said ^^. If I get my draw this year I'll be heading up to your neck of the woods in early october. we talked a few years back and you gave me great advice for a Mcbride grizzly hunt. I'd love to share stories around the campfire and maybe do a little hunting with you. I'd even pay for your gas from willies puddle to meet me in horsefly.
great hunt story too.

srupp
06-13-2020, 03:08 PM
Thanks Gents
home from visiting Noah and the arc..14 days of brutal weather fly fishing. .lol at least I know what clothes are waterproof..
Steven

Leaseman
06-15-2020, 01:13 PM
Nice to see you back!

Where off to next?

srupp
06-15-2020, 03:21 PM
Hmm hi Mike..
Home for a few..then Susan Ebony..myself head to Sheridan lake resort to camp for 2 weeks.. then I'm headed to Spences Bridge to look for bighorn. .then home for start of hunting season..
This retirement gig...go go go..best job I never had lol.
Lol Hope you are doing well my friend.
Cheers
Steven

Stone Sheep Steve
06-16-2020, 09:22 AM
Figured I’d check back to see if the story was done yet. Lol

Some dandy bears there srupp!!

Congrats and thanks for sharing!

sss

srupp
06-16-2020, 10:42 AM
Thanks SSS" it was indeed a great trip..posted photos and story faster than usual...lol
three bears trip..it ended up well for everyone but the bears.
Cheers
Steven