PDA

View Full Version : Fortieth Birthday Hunting Trip

Lozzie
05-24-2020, 10:44 PM
Well seems pretty weird to me but I'm turning forty in mid October, my wife is 5 years older than me and I took her to New York for her Fortieth birthday. A few months back she asked me what I wanted to do for my birthday this year, the first thing that came to mind was Red Stag hunting in New Zealand. (She has friends there that hunt so not too much of a stretch to make it happen at the time). However, with the current state of things it's not going to happen. Of course my hunting partner and I are putting in for multiple species here in BC however, if we don't draw anything this year I was thinking it would still be nice to mark the occasion with a hunt that was out of the ordinary. Maybe fly in, river hunt, helicopter drop off? I'm sure there are a few guides or guys that use guides, or don't and do trips that are a little further out there than the fsr's. I am open to suggestions but, would be most interested moose, sheep and elk. I am in no way independently wealthy so a top end guided hunt may not be in the cards, but maybe depending on US border closings there might be some affordable options? Any stories on how you spent your fortieth hunting? Any suggestions on where to go or what to do?

338win mag
05-25-2020, 05:19 AM
Moose hunt in Newfoundland has been intriguing to me, if that is an option for you.

Bigdoggdon
05-25-2020, 08:02 PM
Illegal to transport hunters or hunting equipment by helicopter in BC

Lozzie
05-25-2020, 08:11 PM
Thanks, I was unaware of that little bureaucratic nugget..

Illegal to transport hunters or hunting equipment by helicopter in BC

Lozzie
05-25-2020, 08:13 PM
Could be an option, was thinking of planning to stay in BC though. Not too sure about flying across the country this year.

Moose hunt in Newfoundland has been intriguing to me, if that is an option for you.

Jrax
05-25-2020, 08:16 PM
Jet boat or horse drop off hunt for sheep and/ elk moose north east Bc or fly in sheep, caribou moose northwest Bc

HarryToolips
05-25-2020, 08:36 PM
Are there guided pronghorn hunts in the prairies? That also would be a considered by many a cool option

Lozzie
05-25-2020, 10:12 PM
That sounds awesome, let me know if you have any contact info for a trip like that.

Jet boat or horse drop off hunt for sheep and/ elk moose north east Bc or fly in sheep, caribou moose northwest Bc

Lozzie
05-25-2020, 10:13 PM
I actually talked to a buddy who went on a mixed bag pronghorn/ mule deer hunt in Wyoming and it was actually pretty affordable. Just not sure what the situation with the borders is going to be like.

Are there guided pronghorn hunts in the prairies? That also would be a considered by many a cool option

Ron.C
05-26-2020, 06:38 AM
Happy 40th. Agree a jet boat drop off (although I never did one but looked into it before) would be a good option and wouldn't break the bank. What about looking toward Alberta. Lots of world class deer and epic waterfowl hunting. Not sure of the pricing but may get a good deal with the current situation. Only a days drive through some beautiful country, little difference than heading up to Northern BC

browningboy
05-26-2020, 10:19 AM
We were going to do a shiet faced tour, start in NewFoundland and go lobster fishing, from there to Montreal and strippers for two days, then rent an RV and hire some of the strippers to drive the RV then off to Moosejaw to shoot gophers!! It never transpired but maybe one day!!
Good luck on your 40th!

BCHunterFSJ
05-26-2020, 01:01 PM
I had a great guided pronghorn hunt in Alberta. Maybe give that a try. Siver Sage Outfitters.

https://i.postimg.cc/x88DHpRz/DSC-0449.jpg (https://postimages.org/)

Lozzie
05-28-2020, 05:55 PM
That looks like a successful trip, I’ll give them shout. Thanks for sharing.

Lozzie
05-28-2020, 05:56 PM
Not really my style but does a cross country fishing/ hunting trip would be good for sure. Minus the STI’s.��

338win mag
05-28-2020, 08:17 PM
We were going to do a shiet faced tour, start in NewFoundland and go lobster fishing, from there to Montreal and strippers for two days, then rent an RV and hire some of the strippers to drive the RV then off to Moosejaw to shoot gophers!! It never transpired but maybe one day!!
Good luck on your 40th!
I was gonna do that for my 70th:lol:

butterz
05-29-2020, 06:29 AM
River Jet Adventures out of Fort Nelson. We went up Tuchodi river in 2017 was a great trip. Kevin was awesome. We now have a trip booked with the new owner Jason. Hopefully same outcome this trip. $1350 per guy.

Ruger.270
05-31-2020, 06:53 PM
How were the elk / moose numbers up there? I’d heard wolves were a concern in the area. As for the OP’s question, I’d be looking at an Alberta trophy mule deer hunt or B.C. horseback elk hunt either guided or using a packer depending on budget. The possibility of getting some deals due to COVID might make some of these hunts more within reach for a lot of people.

Retiredguy
06-01-2020, 09:38 AM
Couple of comments for you........antelope - if you look at the US hunts you should know you have to put in for a draw and you are already too late in most areas. So you are toast for this year, even if borders opened. The only exceptions are where there are private landowner tags available, such as in New Mexico and those hunts are more expensive, but with no draw needed and an area that produces big antelope, worth looking at. The Alberta hunts are with outfitter allocations so you do not need to draw, but you pay a premium as they are much more expensive than most hunts in the US, including the US hunts with landowner tags.

You are not going to find any cheap northern hunts with outfitters. You may find some offering a reduced rate and in Canadian instead of US funds, but most of us will still find the costs to be a bit much for our disposable income. I think the drop camps with jet boat operators are a good way to go. You could also look at just chartering a flight into a remote lake and do a drop camp hunt. There are also some floatplane operators who have remote outpost fly-in camps with cabins/boats that are worth having a look at.

butcher
06-01-2020, 09:51 AM
Wait until next spring. Go to New Zealand. You won’t regret it.

Lozzie
06-02-2020, 10:54 PM
Thanks for all the info fellas , it is most appreciated.:grin: