PDA

View Full Version : At what point would you shoot a grizzly/other predator in self defense?

KimberKid
05-24-2020, 04:34 PM
My father and I are planning a backpack hunting trip into northern BC this summer/fall. It is my understanding that shooting a grizzly (for example) if it is threatening your life is legal, however I want to ask the more experienced guys on here at what point would you actually kill a grizzly in self defense? What kind of run ins with these bears are common, and at what point does it become really threatening? If you are close to a bear, how do you stay safe? Personal stories are welcome! I just want to have a good gameplan for what to do when you encounter a bear, and at what point other hunters would be forced to protect themselves. I have a feeling with the exploding grizzly populations and no population management (Thanks Premier Horgan!) these encounters will only become more and more common, so let me know what you guys think.

hawk-i
05-24-2020, 04:50 PM
You'll know when the time comes, there won't be any doubt in your mind! Normally you can run them off...if they try to run you off, BANG! :)

caddisguy
05-24-2020, 05:18 PM
You'll know when the time comes, there won't be any doubt in your mind! Normally you can run them off...if they try to run you off, BANG! :)

I think this accurate. You will just know.

Bears aren't very good at hiding their intent. Predatory attacks are pretty obvious. If a bear is following you or getting closer to you in a round-a-bout way, that's an obvious one.

Defensive attacks will come with less warning. You might have 10 seconds or you might have 1 second. I'm not going to "wait" to see if it is a bluff charge.

In the case of the predatory attack coming a long way out I would still try my best to scare it off or just leave the area. If it continued my threshold would be around 40-50 yards (that's only a couple seconds if it goes from stalking to running) I would also make the effort to shoot it head on. I would like for the CO's job to be easy and for me not to be under any suspicion or scrutiny. If I can show it was following me, that it was facing me, that it was within 50 yards it's a done deal. If I can demonstrate those 3 things, I don't think there would be any scrutiny. If one of those 3 things was off (further than 50 yards, double lung shot, no evidence of following) then I would expect more scrutiny.

Out of all our bear encounters so far, I have only been charged once. It was dry out, so the snapping and cracking gave me advanced warning. I only had bear spray. I did not actually have to use it (the bear stopped wear I was standing when the charge started and he was huffing and stomping and the wind was in my face) If I had a rifle I probably would have shot him that day. There was enough fear and reason to shoot as a precaution.

And only ever had a couple bears act creepy/stalky (one was the above mentioned bear on a couple other occasions... ended up cutting a tag on it after a couple years of BS) and the others just seemed to check me out, size me up and walk away.

I really think "you will know when the time comes" is the best answer. That is my experience with black bears. I don't know anything about grizzlies but figure the same rule applies.

As for cougars, any amount of following I would shoot. I always have a tag and they are open most of the year.

tigrr
05-24-2020, 05:36 PM
Most I have come upon have run off. But they didn't have cubs or a freshly killed animal there. A charge inside 20 yards it dies. They can cover 13 yards in 3 seconds. And your gun better be loaded and safety on when the charge is happening. You do not have time to put one in the chamber during the 3 seconds and shoot it accurately. I live amongst 7 or 8 grizzly. A sow just had 2 cubs and is walking down the road with them. Be bear prepared don't hesitate.

swampthing
05-24-2020, 05:56 PM
Its my understanding that when a bear bluff charges it stomps its front feet. If the bear plans to engage you its rear feet pass its front feet as it charges. Now, trying to figure that out during a close encounter while your adrenaline is running is another matter!! Every grizz I have ever encountered close up has run as fast as it can the other way once it sees who I am. I think many people have a large fear of the big bears and may react a bit too quickly. Guys who ask questions like "what caliber rifle should I carry when hunting in grizz country" are the kind of guys who may be a bit freaked out when in the bush.

xlcc
05-24-2020, 06:03 PM
Like others have mentioned''you will know''.In my opinion,50 yards is not a threat,yet.
Best beware of your surroundings and sign.When camped keep your food in a sack or meat hanging from a rope up a tree down wind of your camp and mark out your territory on any possible entry route or trail by pissing on the bushes and around your food cache.If a bear shows up it has been warned you are there so be ready.
Best to avoid a situation if there is a lot of sign in the area and find another place to camp so you don't have a confrontation.
I have dealt with a LOT of bears and had bluff charges to deal with.It comes down to making choices and your past experience.
If you don't have a tag or there is no season and you have to kill a predator you will be investigated like you are guilty.Maybe it is better to shoot shovel and shut up.Just saying...

blackbart
05-24-2020, 06:03 PM
When it is serious you will know it.

KodiakHntr
05-24-2020, 06:31 PM
A charge inside 20 yards it dies. They can cover 13 yards in 3 seconds. And your gun better be loaded and safety on when the charge is happening. You do not have time to put one in the chamber during the 3 seconds and shoot it accurately. I live amongst 7 or 8 grizzly.

I’m gonna go ahead and point out that typo. It doesn’t take 3 seconds for any bear to cover 13 yards.

Personally, any grizz inside 50 yards is taking its life in its paws. Make an aggressive movement and close to 30 and thats my max comfort zone for an aggressive bear.

mpotzold
05-24-2020, 06:40 PM
Eve & I had a close encounter with a large grizz-see post#32.
We made plenty of noise preparing the camp a short distance from Gaspard.
The grizz was obviously stalking us(GS's conclusion)

Some points from my experience when in grizz country.

-NEVER LET YOUR GUARD DOWN when in bear country & always be prepared for a possible attack.

-be proficient with your gun by practicing shooting quickly & accurately at a close range

-if the bear decides to charge I would aim at its middle from 40 yards or less.
-carry a gun that is capable of penetrating deeply through all that fur, fat, tough muscle & bone.

-buckshot may or may not stop it

-slugs are ok but there are better options

-DON’T COUNT ON BEAR SPRAY-it may or may not work on a curious bear

-when retrieving game make sure the area is flagged & be aware if you hear ravens, squirrels & make your presence known.

-when field dressing have 1 hunter on guard.
http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?137476-Two-men-mauled-by-grizzly-in-Dewar-Creek-area-near-Kimberley/page4&highlight=grizzly+attack+gaspard

quadrakid
05-24-2020, 07:12 PM
It is an interesting question from the OP. Every situation is different. If it ever comes to shooting one you won,t get any love from the CO,s if that bear was a long way out when you shot it. I believe they like to see powder burns on the bear or claw marks on your back.:smile:

jac
05-24-2020, 07:44 PM
For me it would have to be close like that under 15 yards. Last year I had bullet in and safety off with a black bear that kept coming. It was slow and steady but at 20 feet away with me yelling and jumping he turned around. With a grizzly it would of been to close

whitlers
05-24-2020, 08:03 PM
I have had a few black bear encounters. One following me and stood on his hind legs at 20 yards sniffing me out. Second was a sow and two cubs at 30 yards, she bluff charged another 10-15 yards before standing up and taking off. Third I practically walked into a bedded bear. He stood up maybe 10 yards away and ran off thank god haha. One grizzly encounter where he walked me down a trail and forced me off but just continued on his way.

I would say I give black bears more of a chance but I feel that if a grizzly was taking a threatening stance within 30 yards I might have to defend myself.

eatram
05-24-2020, 08:29 PM
You are all braver than I...

HarryToolips
05-24-2020, 08:51 PM
I’m gonna go ahead and point out that typo. It doesn’t take 3 seconds for any bear to cover 13 yards.

Personally, any grizz inside 50 yards is taking its life in its paws. Make an aggressive movement and close to 30 and thats my max comfort zone for an aggressive bear.
I agree...fortunately I haven't been bluff charged by a griz but I have by a black bear and bears move those short distances real quick..about 25-30 yards would be my max safe distance...

decker9
05-24-2020, 09:16 PM
Last fall while sheep hunting, my gal and I had a curious grizzly come by camp 100 yards Once the video was recording, I had my rifle shouldered. I’m not sure how long I would have given (him?) if a charge started. He was 80-100 yards away, and agitated. My gut feeling is any type of charge would have gotten him in trouble.

https://youtu.be/8JMZlpotV1s (https://youtu.be/8JMZlpotV1s)

boarder_20_
05-24-2020, 09:43 PM
Spent a lot of time in NW BC in grizzly country as a hunter and geologist and had many bear encounters.
Closest was when a grizzly sow with 2 cubs followed us for a day with 3 separate encounters. The last she got within 20’. I shot 2’ in front of her, didn’t scare her at all but her cubs ran away who were being curious critters checking everything out in camp. She only ran away to follow her cubs. Wasn’t being aggressive but also did not care at all about us or the gun shot. If she stepped towards me instead of following her cubs I would have shot her as she was 6 yards and the third time she’d come see us.

mpotzold
05-24-2020, 10:39 PM
Charge started from less than 100 yards after bear was shot at & seemingly missed maybe 2x before the charge- check the speed of the charge-frightening.

Grizz charge at 3:40 from Alaska grizz hunt 4 months ago
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6VoyikOutwc

browningboy
05-24-2020, 11:01 PM
Shoot when you feel your life is threatened, every situation is unique so?

KodiakHntr
05-24-2020, 11:06 PM
I had one experience that taught me a real important lesson years back on a solo sheep trip. I wasn’t more than maybe 2km from the truck at that point walking out and thinking more about getting back to the truck than anything else. My rifle was strapped to the outside of my pack and I started noticing ravens clustered up in a tree, but not making any noise. They were maybe 50 yards in front of me off the side of the old trail on the downhill side, and a the one raven really caught my attention because it would look at me, and then turn its head and look down at the brush beside the trail. And repeat. And repeat. And not one of those ravens made a single squawk, they were just watching. I stopped and pulled my rifle off and had my pack just a bit looser, and was rifle in hand. Flipped ip the scope covers and checked the chamber. I took two steps, and the way ALL the ravens looked down into the willows had me stop, and I gave out a “Hey Bear” and IMMEDIATELY a pretty big sow was on the road with a 2 yr old+ cub right behind her and she was coming. Not bouncing on her front feet, just coming with intent.
I used to figure I was pretty handy on moving targets with a rifle and even faster on reloads back then, but it never even crossed my mind to NOT put a warning shot into the rocks in front of her as I was yelling and backing up (I think, that shit happens FAST).
She was covering ground quick, if I hadn’t had the rifle in my hands I wouldn’t have got the shot off. She was moving fast enough that I had to pull the crosshairs down through her to get a bullet in front of her into the rocks and when bullet hit it was still too close for comfort to her, and she was too close to me. She was probably not more that 18 yards when she held up, with that big cub behind her. Although “cub” isn’t the right word either. Sub adult is more accurate.
My first error was identifying the fact that with the ravens and their behavior there was undoubtedly a bear on a kill, and I should have backed up quietly and gone up the hill around and then dropped back to the trail.

My second error was the warning shot. From rifle at the ready and expecting a bear from the time I yelled to getting the rifle up and triggering the shot was *maybe* a bit over 1 second, and she covered 30 yards in that time.

My third error was the warning shot. If she hadn’t whoa’d up right there I wouldn’t have been able to cycle the bolt and get back on fur before she was on me, and in my early 30’s I was pretty damn fast with a rifle.

My fourth error was the warning shot. When that shot smacked the rocks she stopped, but her OTHER two sub adult cubs blasted out of the willows onto the trail and I had 4 bears huffing and clacking at me from 15 to 40 yards away.
And I don’t care how good you are with a rifle, in a high stress situation like that nobody is gonna be able to kill FOUR bears with THREE remaining shells in the gun.

The only time I will entertain the thought of a warning shot now is if there is more than 2 rifles ready and on target... Bears at 50 or less just don’t give you enough time to react. Aggressive and coming at 49 yards, they are getting smoked every single time.

And with those bears, when I circled up above high on the hill and looked down I could see that they had killed a caribou and were feeding on it, and had undoubtedly heard be coming down the trail from a ways out because that first two bears were right beside the trail when I first saw them and the kill was probably 60 yards farther down the hill.

AlpineStalker
05-24-2020, 11:58 PM
This is Rick's story (friend of a friend whom I know to be an accomplished hunter.)
https://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/alberta-man-fights-off-grizzly-bear-with-empty-rifle-1.2673770

An Alberta man used quick thinking and nimble reflexes to fight off a massive grizzly bear using an empty hunting rifle.

Rick Hollingworth, of Valleyview, Alta., said he was hunting for elk with his cousin on Nov. 13 when they came across an 800-pound grizzly bear.

Hollingworth, who is a champion jet boat racer, said the bear started to charge at them, leaving him little time to prepare his gun.

"I was able to get three shots off straight from the hip," he told CTV Edmonton. "The last shot, the bear was probably no more than two feet from me. I had to duck out of the way; he tried to swipe at me as he went by."

He said the bear went around a tree, and then charged at them again, but this time his weapon was empty.

Facing limited options, Hollingworth says he ended up shoving the gun’s barrel into the grizzly's mouth to joust the bear back. Marks left on the barrel leave a chilling reminder of the animal biting down.

"All I had was an empty gun. He chewed on the end of the gun barrel for a few minutes, well it felt like a few minutes, but it was probably a couple of seconds," he said, adding that he was eventually able to get a single shot into the animal, once it backed off.

"With a lot of hollering and the gun barrel, I backed him up and I was able to put the final shot in him that saved one of us from getting eaten."

Alberta Fish and Wildlife confirmed that the shooting was in self-defence, and that the animal was held back with the barrel of the gun. But they said the bear eventually wandered off and died.

webley
05-25-2020, 04:32 AM
Like one guy said you will know when the time comes,I had to shoot one several years ago you do not have time to think it all happens so fast your instincts take over.
I had no problems with the co,s they know when you are when you are telling the truth, its all very intimidating and scary.
The story is on the forum somewhere but I don't know how to find it, All I can say is be aware of your surroundings all the time. Steve!

Rhyno
05-25-2020, 07:09 AM

This is correct, trust me!

When a bear is charging you will have a threshold that is close enough. Turns out mine is 13y at a full charge.

Ron.C
05-25-2020, 08:21 AM

agree 100%. I've had a handful of close encounters over the last 4 or 5 years. Only 2 had me reacting fast.

1. Last year we unknowingly walked up on a griz on a gutpile at last light at about 15 yards. Luckily for us, he ran back about 10 yards, stopped and watched us.
I kept my gun on him while my partner grabbed my dog and gained some distance then I backed away. If this guy had of charged at us, I would have shot as we had just scared him off his dinner.

2. walked right onto a griz while approaching a stream crossing on the way out of a backpack goat hunt. Was around 20 yards when I saw him. He stood up on his back legs, woofed and ran the other way. My rifle was on my pack and no way I could have goy to it before he was on me (if he wanted).

3. have had a few others that were just really cool encounters (in hindsite ).

fuzzybiscuit
05-25-2020, 09:19 AM
Real or bluff I couldn’t care less. If it isn’t going in the opposite direction as soon as we spot each other at close quarters it’s getting plugged. There’s too many god-dammed G-bears out there to take any chances and there is only one way they become scared of man. Flame all you want but I couldn’t give two craps what anyone else does or thinks.

butthead
05-25-2020, 09:41 AM
would you really want to mess around with the likes of this
not me

www.youtube.com/watch?v=kg5WC_FKrf0 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kg5WC_FKrf0)[/VIDEO]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ziib-MZ5IXY&t=268s

Bugle M In
05-25-2020, 12:11 PM
^^^^^This.
You will just know.

Rob Chipman
05-25-2020, 12:30 PM
I've thought about this a lot, and considering how fast I am, how good a shot I am, and how much time there will be, I think the most realistic scenario is that I'll be shooting a grizzly in a self defence situation when it's knocked down my buddy and I have a fighting chance of manning up. I'd love a guarantee that in a charge I'll have plenty of time to set up and get ready, but I doubt that's something to count on.

walks with deer
05-25-2020, 01:18 PM
typically if a grizzly is working the same valley as i am i go hunt another valley..
i have shot black bear in defense that was a exciting moment.
you have to remember with bears you need to break bones or you will be shocked how much juice they can still have in them.

walks with deer
05-25-2020, 01:18 PM
reasons while you can keep your knitting needle 6.5 cals

KodiakHntr
05-25-2020, 01:21 PM
^^^^^This.
You will just know.

The problem with that, is that the guys who know, will know. And the guys that are scared of bears, will always be scared of bears, and fear tends to cloud judgement.

hunter1947
05-25-2020, 01:58 PM
A grizzly will bluff charge a person and it's not fun your aiming at the bear and just waiting the bear turns and runs off then the grizzly comes running back towards you the bear stops about 60 yards out turns and runs away from you again I am still standing there shotgun up and ready to fire the bear disappears over the hill I wait for 10 min nothing to see myself i would had let lead fly at the grizzly if it kept coming at me at 40 yards that's close enough for me ,,I have had a few times that a grizzly bear will bluff charge you but you only let him come in within 40 yards of you and if the bear at 40 yards is still coming make your shot placement count because you won't get a second shot..

hawk-i
05-25-2020, 02:26 PM
In the late 80's while hunting along the border of the Cold Lake Air Weapons range in Alberta I had a Black Bear start his charge at less than 30 yards...I got off 2 quick shots with a 308 Semi auto...the bear literally stopped with his head touching my feet.
The excitement never set in until it was all over! :)

fuzzybiscuit
05-25-2020, 02:48 PM
The problem with that, is that the guys who know, will know. And the guys that are scared of bears, will always be scared of bears, and fear tends to cloud judgement.

The problem with that is not all G-bears know the rules. You could have many close encounters where a bear bluff-charges you and then stops short. Encounters like that would caused a person to think they know an animals behaviour when in fact they only have an understanding of the behaviour of those bears they ran into. Things happen fast and a Grizzly at full charge moves very fast. Most people think they will react all calm and cool but in reality they don’t.

A partner and I were charged by one 20 years ago at around a hundred feet. My partner turned and ran, while I stood my ground and shot. The G-bear was at probably 40 feet when I fired and the gun came up and I shot as fast as humanly possible. My partner didn’t make it 20 feet when I shot. Would the bear of attacked or stopped short we will never know but why would anyone take a chance? Being scared had nothing to do with shooting but rest assured, I was scared. More so after the fact though once I processed what just went on.

Remember Timothy Tastewell? He thought he understood G-bears pretty good and put himself around them all the time. Then he ran into one that decided to eat him and his partner. Some would say it was a freak incident but in reality he was just playing the odds and he ended up losing.

At the end of the day do whatever floats your boat. I’m going to shoot every time and not leave things to chance.

Jagermeister
05-25-2020, 03:07 PM
For me it would have to be close like that under 15 yards. Last year I had bullet in and safety off with a black bear that kept coming. It was slow and steady but at 20 feet away with me yelling and jumping he turned around. With a grizzly it would of been to close
Watch this video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f_VMcJ5ClPU See how fast they run? Either bear would have your ass on the ground plucking the stomach muscle strings like strings on a harp. You'd be dead. Unless he's just up to #itc&-slapping you a bit in which case you roll up in a ball and protect the back of your neck by clasping your hand behind your neck. You're going to get hurt.
Never mind that if it is a black bear. Fight for your life.There are two ways a black bear sums up humans. A threat to their well being in which case they are high-assing for parts over the next hill. The other way is that he is envisioning you on his dinner plate in which case he isn't high-assing for parts over the next hill. Of course he could circle around and have dinner walk right in.
Anyhow, my safe zone is 50 yards, anything under is going to get some lead.

moosinaround
05-25-2020, 04:12 PM
I have commented on these bear threads a lot over the years! I hunt with one in the tube, and the safety on, and practice proper gun handling techniques! A loaded but not chambered round does you no good, in a full on bear charge! I give NO WARNING shots! If a bear does not EFF off when I yell at it, the first shot from my defense tool, will be a center mass shot! I would feel that a person should have the defense tool aimed and centered and ready to fire at the bear at 50yards as a minimum, if time allows that. Kodiak hunter said it best, watch for sign, crows, smells, sounds of other predators! Kill or be killed, the bear has advantage if it so chooses to use it! Moosin

browningboy
05-25-2020, 10:22 PM
In all honesty, some say 30 yards or less? Risk shiet for a bear? That’s nuts IMO, it’s a bear..

338win mag
05-25-2020, 10:49 PM
I have never had a charge, but I have been puckered once by a black bear when we both arrived at the same small opening in a thick brushy hillside, it was scary because he was thinking about charging me, at less than 100ft.

I did have 2 grizzlies, sow and large cub sneak behind me and huff. I was in a ground blind hunting whitetails, there was almost 2ft of snow and I never would of known anything but I saw their tracks in the snow down the slope from the blind.
Thats when the one huffed.

My buddy was grouse hunting near Golden years ago, when a black bear charged him, he shot it in the face with 2 barrels of bird shot and the bear bumped into him on the way by. The bear was hit by a vehicle on the hwy a day or two later with his face blown off.

caddisguy
05-25-2020, 10:52 PM
The whole distance thing really depends on the circumstance. I think I gave 50 yards as in hypothetical scenario where a bear was clearly engaged and stalking and all the "hey bear!", "screw off bear" stuff failed, yet the stalk continues.

You can tell when a bear is engaged and 100% focused on you. That's a shooter at 50 yards if the stalk has been ongoing for some time and it's gaining ground. That would be my buffer for a predatory bear stalking, as 50 yards is potentially 3-4 seconds until "contact" and they do go from "stalk" to "charge" around that distance with other prey.

The only time a bear confused me (well, not so much me but rather my wife) was went she went for a walk early one morning. I was still sleeping. She just brought some bear back to camp "hey wake up this bear followed me for 20 minutes" ... "wait what now? *rubs eyes & pops a redbull". So I assess it. This bear is not remotely interested in either of us, just mauling stumps for grubs... we turn the tables and follow it around for a while... still not a care in the world about our presence. It's climbing up trees, swatting down yellow jacket nests (that was our cue to leave) but we were within a few meters of this bear a lot of the time. The reality is the bear was just wanting to go in the same direction as my wife for a morning stroll along the bug circuit, but the result was she walked backwards for a good kilometre or so LOL. Close encounter, closer than 50 yards, closer than 10 yards, not a defense scenario at all... some confusion for sure

I don't think I can count the number of times we have had bears within 5-20 yards. Sometimes we unknowingly came to them (in one case we cornered a bedded bear against a rock face at around 3 yards... I still don't know how neither of us got run over when it exploded) other times they unknowingly came to us, other times they knowingly came to us, but not in any sort of predatory way... just "yeah so what? I'm a bear. big deal?" (you want to keep your eye on those ones though... never let your guard down)

Oh man, just thinking of all the ridiculous stuff. I remember one time caddisgirl woke up to eat cereal... again, I'm snoozing, but wake up to "ah crap... bear" ... I wake up and see this bear just walked out of the brush into our camp. They are like two yards away from each other, both totally frozen. I honestly had no idea what to do. I could have yelled or honked the horn, but I didn't want to provoke anything. Not sure how long that stare down lasted (maybe 10-20 seconds?) but it ended with the bear taking off.

And then there's the sow with two little cubs clacking her jaws at me 30 yards away while I'm boning out a boar. I just kept yelling back at her calm down I did you a favor.

Sooo yep, you can have all sorts of close up bear encounters and no need to shoot anything. If I'm being stalked or charged, 50 yards is the limit.

OH! One other time where I thought I "might" get attacked, I had a bear giving me heck about 20 yards away (couldn't even see it) the growling and huffing was definitely escalating. While I was trying to assess the situation, I dropped down on my knees and pointed the rifle straight at bear level. I'm not even sure if I realized it at the time, but that might be a good tip for a bear charge. If you are standing up and something is coming at you 30-50km/hour you won't have time to adjust your angle unless you are good with iron sights or shooting from the hip. I think it is better to be as the same level and eliminated the need to adjust angle if you think something is about to go down... saves time... time counts.

Many years and many encounters into it, I've still never had to shoot a bear to protect myself. Had a lot of bears give me heck from close by. Only met one bear I felt absolutely needed to be destroyed, but when that went down it wasn't a forced situation.

All sorts of situations unfold. hawk-i really nailed it with "you will know". Good chance and with some luck when it happens, it will seem like slow motion like when something goes south in front of you on the highway. Your brain/gut will think a thousand thoughts per second and will guide/force your reaction... hard wired survival mechanism.

Bugle M In
05-26-2020, 12:19 PM
I seen a large grizz, and I mean "BIG"!
Long story, but, in the end, it was only several meters away from me on the other side of the road.
At 1st light, I had walk in the dark, 1/2 hour b4 light.
When I did 1st see it, I thought it was a Moose, with its head feeding in the trees.
Nope, and turned and started to head towards me.
Unaware of me.

Then, suddenly a work truck was headed our way, the bear stopped, 1 paw up in the air, as to swat whatever was coming.
Huge!
Anyways, truck enters sight in a corner.
Bear spins, and clears 100 yards in like 2 seconds (so it seemed)!!
I was on his game trail, but boy did I luck out!
I thought he is coming full tilt my way.
Yes, rifle was up!!!

The size of this bear (and confirmed by some other hunters and the outfitter) was huge, biggest they had ever seen.
Shoulders on all 4 was as high as my chest standing.

He was well fed, and fat going into winter soon.
But man, all I remember most to this day...…

Was Gbears can haul ass like you cant believe.
Cant imaging if they are pissed off, and want you down.
Again, you just know.
A bluff charge that seems "too close" is good enough for me to cap his ass.....I hope????
Period.
Don't care what anyone else says....it's my ass!!!

triggerhappy
05-26-2020, 12:59 PM
I will shoot at the point I feel my life is in danger. Not any sooner, and not any later. Everyone is going to be a little different, you just have to use your best judgement in the situation.

Leaseman
05-26-2020, 01:38 PM
When you have seen a bunch go from a stop to flat out, the ground covered, I know my safe distance has gone out farther. I have carried tags for just this reason.

IronNoggin
05-26-2020, 02:23 PM
I have killed five black bears and two grizzlies in self defense of myself and others.
Each time I was investigated and cleared. Longest of those was when I was working for Alberta Fish & Wildlife (go figure).

Chit happens so damn FAST you simply function automatically.
Afterwards it is tough to determine the whys and whats you actually accomplished.

No hard and fast rule really.
When working for National Parks, the head of the Bear Response Team for the 4 mountain parks had a rule.
20 yards or closer.
Had occasion to watch a charging grizz stop just before that range while working with him.
Also had occasion to watch one knock him over in it's dying efforts.
Too close for me.

Being able to "read" their intent helps.
Any that I have a bad feeling over, the gun is up and ready.

Be Safe.

Nog

Danny_29
05-26-2020, 03:10 PM
Be very careful with warning shots.

21ft was the example I was taught where a person with a knife from a stand still can stab you before you can place an effective shot. Expand that to an already charging bear and a bolt action rifle, not much room for a warning shot...a bear traveling at full speed will cover 20 yards in a 1 second...good luck reloading, shouldering and effectively aiming at anything under a 100 yards. None of this includes the time it will take the bear to expire after an effective shot.

Your best offense is a good defence by taking initial precautions, some of which are impractical as hunters so don't let your gaurd down and make smart choices to avoid being vulnerable. Once you are in a position where you need to use self defence luck is going to play a big part in the outcome, so help yourself by making a decision earlier rather than later.

Lots of guys one here rail against bear spray as ineffective and what not, but regardless if you have a rifle or not having a can on your belt weighs nothing and gives you another option. As a bow hunter it is my primary deterrent.

BigSlapper
05-26-2020, 03:38 PM
Inside 100 yards and coming hard .... rifle is up and safety off. Inside 50 yards and still coming ... dead bear.

LBM
05-26-2020, 05:53 PM
Have had bears and wolves within feet and cats with in inches, never felt had to shoot one yet.
As you can see here with a couple of examples where guys have had bears running towards them
when they had no gun and bears went by them , but both say if they had a gun they would have
shot the bear. So one could think many of the bears shot were not actually charging or attacking
as in the case of these couple stories. Seen a few different animals shot where people said it was
attacking or stalking them yet they were shot broadside.

btridge
05-26-2020, 07:03 PM
Interesting how so many say, if it crosses this distance, I plan to do bla bla bla!

If you are ever in a position like I found myself in, you can only react.

I was Bow hunting Elk in a place I had hunted for many years. sitting with my back against a tree, there was a slight depression in front of me with the breeze coming upslope in my face.
I had been cow calling for about a half hour, trying to entice a Bull that was talking to me, didn't want to pack him out of the hole he was hiding in.
In thinking back, the last thing I remember is thinking, what died...It smelled like rotten meat all of a sudden.
The next thing I thought was " Oh F**K...He got ME!"
He had me pinned against the tree and was partly on top of me. He wasn't moving and there was blood everywhere. It took a couple minutes to get away from under him and figure out it wasn't my blood! at least not much of it. My leg was cut from where he stepped on it and a stick off the tree had jabbed my back pretty bad.
I couldn't have told you that day what exactly had happened, other than the Bear had a load of SSG that removed his face and a slug shot up from under his throat breaking his neck at the base of his skull.

The nightmares that followed finally filled in the details, The face appeared at about 10 feet, ears back in full charge. When I bow hunt by myself, I carry a 12ga defender, mag loaded with slugs and a SSG in the chamber.
This time it saved my ass, when I smelled rotten meat, I instinctively picked up the defender out of my lap. When the face appeared at full charge, I pulled the trigger and caught him square in the face point blank...still don't remember the second shot that finished him.
The scares, both physical and mental, are a constant reminder to be prepared and be aware of your surroundings because shit can go sideways real quick.

Grizz.325
05-26-2020, 07:04 PM
I have been charged by grizzlies at least 5 or 6 times over the years working at a guide in bc. Each situation has been different and thankfully I’ve yet to have to I’ll one. 3 times I’ve had time and distance to let off a warning shot(40-100yrds) and it’s worked. I once had a young adolescent boar back me and a client up 700 yards back to our vehicle. He was about 15 yrds when he surprised us but he never ran just matched our pace till the vehicle, then he heading into the timber. A couple times I was putting 3-4lbs pressure on my 6 lb trigger,

I have found with both species of bear the key is their ears. In general, ears back a bear is defending something( cubs/food) or they r afraid. Ears forward and they r curious or in predatory mode, either way bad news.

The one time I was charged by a grizzly i had no gun and no warning, I was out shed hunting with my head down searching for antlers and all of a sudden growling and willows moving and boom 40 yrds away a good sized bear was tearing up the ground coming straight at me, ears back. I knew I was dead, I just instinctively turned and started walking away quickly and never looked back. Personally, I believe it was a miracle but he stopped. I went back a week later and found he had an elk kill in the willow patch.
I agree with most people’s thoughts, 50 yards or closer it’s kill shots only, unless u have a partner with a gun. It’s easy to say but key is to remain calm and make the shot count. Don’t rush a shot out of panic. Make it count!!

mpotzold
05-26-2020, 07:14 PM
Have had bears and wolves within feet and cats with in inches, never felt had to shoot one yet.
As you can see here with a couple of examples where guys have had bears running towards them
when they had no gun and bears went by them , but both say if they had a gun they would have
shot the bear. So one could think many of the bears shot were not actually charging or attacking
as in the case of these couple stories. Seen a few different animals shot where people said it was
attacking or stalking them yet they were shot broadside.

Working in the Yukon,BC remote wilderness since '65 saw countless bears but was never charged. I always carried a 357 mag revolver but never had to use it. The crews were also issued rifles.

One of the survey party chiefs working for the same company was charged by a grizz while taking a drink from a mountain stream south of Hudson Hope. He killed the bear with his 44 mag revolver. He was untouched.

The grizz that charged us very quickly did an abrupt 90 deg turn immediately after we stood up from sitting position , yelling at the top of our lungs & arm waving only few feet away. My guess-he was around 800 lbs, & his tracks immense.

Had a long talk with GS & he concluded that the bear had the plan/intention of killing us.

Had my gun been with me I would have shot him during the charge at around 35 to 40 yards.

Remembering-the bear's head was low to the ground with his ears back & we could actually feel him running.

I would never shoot at a bear that is not charging-maybe a warning shot & a loud yell.

whitlers
05-26-2020, 07:20 PM
Interesting how so many say, if it crosses this distance, I plan to do bla bla bla!

I was Bow hunting Elk in a place I had hunted for many years. sitting with my back against a tree, there was a slight depression in front of me with the breeze coming upslope in my face.
I had been cow calling for about a half hour, trying to entice a Bull that was talking to me, didn't want to pack him out of the hole he was hiding in.
In thinking back, the last thing I remember is thinking, what died...It smelled like rotten meat all of a sudden.
He had me pinned against the tree and was partly on top of me. He wasn't moving and there was blood everywhere. It took a couple minutes to get away from under him and figure out it wasn't my blood! at least not much of it. My leg was cut from where he stepped on it and a stick off the tree had jabbed my back pretty bad.
I couldn't have told you that day what exactly had happened, other than the Bear had a load of SSG that removed his face and a slug shot up from under his throat breaking his neck at the base of his skull.

The nightmares that followed finally filled in the details, The face appeared at about 10 feet, ears back in full charge. When I bow hunt by myself, I carry a 12ga defender, mag loaded with slugs and a SSG in the chamber.
This time it saved my ass, when I smelled rotten meat, I instinctively picked up the defender out of my lap. When the face appeared at full charge, I pulled the trigger and caught him square in the face point blank...still don't remember the second shot that finished him.
The scares, both physical and mental, are a constant reminder to be prepared and be aware of your surroundings because shit can go sideways real quick.

Shit now that's a story....glad you made it out of that one. Hard to believe you didnt get more seriously injured.

albravo2
05-26-2020, 07:33 PM

Damn. I've read a lot of stories on here but that one gave me pause. Glad you're ok. I'd say you owe your instincts a drink or two.

caddisguy
05-26-2020, 07:47 PM

That definitely falls into the "you will just know when" (to defend yourself) category.

Glad you are okay. I don't want you to re-live it any more than you have, but one thing I am curious about and have to ask... how long did the ordeal "seem" like it lasted vs how long did it actually last if you had to guess?

It's amazing what the human mind and body are capable of... the ability to react is amazing. You nailed it... always be aware of surroundings... extra fraction of a second can make a lot of difference.

fuzzybiscuit
05-26-2020, 08:46 PM

But LBM thinks you just misinterpreted the situation. You, in all your Camo. A poor bear just doing his thing. He didn’t even see you there and probably would have felt bad for accidentally stepping on your leg if you hadn’t gone into a complete rage and shot his face off for no reason.

For someone who never leaves his moms basement LBM sure has animal behaviour figured out...

btridge
05-26-2020, 09:24 PM
I'm good now, took a long time to be comfortable in my own skin again. Bear party took place over 20 years ago now. As for Camo, NOPE, Blue jeans, same as my avitar.
People say time slows down, In this case I may have got my cage rattled a bit because it seamed like it was over before it began.
I have been up close to many Bears over the years and for the most part they prefer to mind their own business, but it only took once, I was lucky.

walks with deer
05-26-2020, 09:33 PM
okay i am home team dont really care shoot them once you feel danger who cares anymore.
dad i normally hunt a diffefent spot once we see grizzly sighn who cares i do not.just shoot them. report and keep humting

fuzzybiscuit
05-26-2020, 09:51 PM
I'm good now, took a long time to be comfortable in my own skin again. Bear party took place over 20 years ago now. As for Camo, NOPE, Blue jeans, same as my avitar.
People say time slows down, In this case I may have got my cage rattled a bit because it seamed like it was over before it began.
I have been up close to many Bears over the years and for the most part they prefer to mind their own business, but it only took once, I was lucky.

I have no doubt you made the right choice, although choosing to shoot probably didn’t come into play and I’d imagine it happened so fast it was all just instinct. You’re a lucky man to be able to walk away from an attack like that with just a cut on the leg.

I’d agree with most on here that your average bear whether it is a Blackie or Griz is probably going to go in the opposite direction once it knows you are there. I’ve been within 30 feet of dozens of Back bears and two other Griz that had no intention of attacking me. Some didn’t high-tail it right out of there but they weren’t aggressive. I’ve actually only had two bears over the years that I still feel to this day were thinking real hard about eating me; one Black bear and the Griz from my earlier post. If I think an attack is inevitable then I’m going to error on the side of caution and shoot to kill. To do otherwise might be the last mistake you ever make.

Arctic Lake
05-26-2020, 09:56 PM
It’s good news that you are still with us !
Arctic Lake

Arctic Lake
05-26-2020, 10:06 PM
I may have skipped a few replies to this thread but I’m trying to catch up . I can say I never want to have an encounter like some previously mentioned , I-know I’m alive everyday and thankful that I am. I don’t want some close to the creator moment to know that !
I’m sure a lot of us have seen many news stories where a hunter or hiker or someone working in bear country has been attacked .
Personally I met a fella that had been mauled and the poor man had a grossly disfigured face from a bear encounter . I don’t want to look like that . If I need to defend myself against an attack I will and hopefully be able to keep calm enough to do so . Hope the same for all of us enjoying the great outdoors . Keep safe fellas !
Arctic Lake

Redthies
05-27-2020, 10:45 AM
Some excellent posts in this one. The big take away for me, is the reinforcement of my belief that having a gun with you that is either unloaded, or strapped to your pack is a bad idea. I know it sucks to have to carry it on long walks in/out, but better that than being a news story. The first thing I do when I leave the truck is load my rifle, and it’s the last thing I pack in the truck when I get back.

wideopenthrottle
05-27-2020, 11:38 AM
Inside 100 yards and coming hard .... rifle is up and safety off. Inside 50 yards and still coming ... dead bear.
it is amazing how fast you pucker up when you see it running towards you at 100 with your bare eyes then scope it at 50 on 3x power

Redthies
05-27-2020, 01:27 PM
it is amazing how fast you pucker up when you see it running towards you at 100 with your bare eyes then scope it at 50 on 3x power

Absolutely! I’ve had black bears walk right up to me and sniff at my feet when I was working under a snow cat in the alpine in summer, and almost walk in my patio doors. They have slept in my front yard etc etc, so I’m not too worried about the ones that are “town” bears, but the ones that you meet in a dark thicket in the middle of nowhere are a different matter. The only grizzly close encounter I’ve had was taking a snow walk with the wife and dogs and noticing some tracks come in from the side. Took a few paces in the powder to be able to see what made the tracks. About two paces after it became clear what it was, there was a large still steaming spray of liquid poop. We back tracked out of there. It was that encounter that turned my wife from “why do you always bring a gun on these bush walks” to “make sure you bring the .45-70 on our hike”.

hunter1947
05-27-2020, 02:26 PM
I have had many grizzly encounters most of them have been when shed hunting so far so good only a few bluff charges the other 98% the grizzlies took off when they saw me ,,keep in mind that only 2% of all grizzlies that I have incounterd are badass bears..

Redthies
05-27-2020, 08:27 PM
keep in mind that only 2% of all grizzlies that I have incounterd are badass bears..

How could you tell? Did they have tattoos and piercings? Ride Harleys?

hunter1947
05-28-2020, 04:57 AM
How could you tell? Did they have tattoos and piercings? Ride Harleys?

History tell it all from encounters I have watched many documentaries on grizzly bear encounters many of these documentaries whee from biologists the biologists state that most grizzly bears will have nothing to do with man kind and run away ,,only a low percentage of grizzlies will be a badass bear..

Ron.C
05-28-2020, 07:57 AM
I don't think it is as simple as saying "if one is closer that XX yards, I'm shooting". Lots of variables to consider.
Everyone's threshold for safety is different and it will be different in each and every situation. You will know when yours has been breached.

I talked to a guy that said he'd shoot a Grizzly if it comes closer than 40 yards. To this I say you should just stay out of Grizzly country.

Yuritau
05-28-2020, 11:26 AM
If a predator makes me feel like I'm in danger, I'm shooting it. I'm not counting meters, I'm not waiting to see if it's a bluff, and I'm not doing warning shots.

j270wsm
05-28-2020, 12:18 PM
I’ve had 2 close-ish encounters with grizzly bears over the last 20yrs. Both encounters ended well, one will the bear leaving as my friend yelled and swore at it and the other fled after a warning shot.
Last fall the same friend sent me a live pic of 2 grizzlies @ 16yds. I sarcastically replied “ shoot them “......He later told me that they came in silent while he was hiding in a patch of timer cow calling. He heard a branch break and turned around to see the bears......he said that he completely froze and started yelling and never even thought about raising his rifle. Just the other night he told me that it shook him up enough that he might not hunt this fall.
He said they weren’t acting aggressive but they obviously crossed his safe/comfortable distance.

snipersights
05-28-2020, 06:36 PM
If one charges me it’s dead no second thoughts. Period. Same with any animal or human for that matter. If someone comes at me with a knife theyre going down. I have had one person try to stab me and I broke his forearm. I was a security guard and he tried to press charges. Let’s just say it didn’t happen. But for me personally if mine or my families life is in danger and it’s me or them it ain’t going to be me.

303savage
05-28-2020, 08:15 PM
I been closer to 3 grizzlys than I wanted to be. once I was cooking on the tale gate of the truck and one walked up the far side of the road from me. about 40 yds. The next time was the next day and one walked up beside my truck while I was cooking, I could have smacked on the nose with the fry pan. But as soon as it seen me it left a lot of tore up ground leaving. #3 was over in Bella Coola on just ambled across the road in front of me.

mpotzold
05-28-2020, 09:13 PM
Now more than ever we must be prepared for a grizz attack.
With no grizz hunt to control their numbers that are steadily climbing, they have less fear of man hence increasing the odds of people getting charged.

Why do you think that the grizzly bears were eliminated from 98% of their original range in the western US from 1850 to 1950 by European settlers ? A main reason was because of a threat to human safety.

As GS(Gary Shelton) said - bear populations are surging, and attacks on people are becoming more frequent.
Basing his findings on official reports and anecdotal evidence from forestry workers in British Columbia, Shelton believes bears are becoming bolder and more aggressive in their responses to humans.
He goes so far as to say black bears and grizzly bears are starting to attack humans as prey.
"It's not a circumstance where a bear is defending space, cubs or food," … "This is where a bear decides a human is food. The bear follows and tries to take the person down and kill them for food."
GS advocates controlled hunting to promote fear of humans in the grizz population.
Bear Predatory Behavior On Humans
http://www.mainebearbasics.com/bear_predatory_behavior_on_humans.php

story updated
5 students were warned not to proceed along the trail because of an aggressive bear. They didn’t heed the warning & one of the group was attacked, killed & eaten.
http://www.mainebearbasics.com/fatal_new_jersey_bear_attack_update.php

Deer_Slayer
06-02-2020, 07:05 PM
When they drop that head, tense up and glare at you they mean business. If they see you from a distance and start slowly coming at you head down and keeping their eye on you beware. If you surprise them then it's fast and furious and you best have your rifle loaded and ready with one in the chamber. I shot a black bear before at about 20 yards that I watched stalk me up a hill..sniffing my trail. he knew what he was tracking. He got close enough and I plugged him. Wasn't a charge but sure as hell he was stalking me.

REMINGTON JIM
06-02-2020, 08:44 PM
[QUOTE=hunter1947;2177536]History tell it all from encounters I have watched many documentaries on grizzly bear encounters many of these documentaries whee from biologists the biologists state that most grizzly bears will have nothing to do with man kind and run away ,,only a low percentage of grizzlies will be a badass bear..[/QUOTE !

LOL :smile: and which ONE's will be the Bad Azz Bear's ? :-P RJ

hunter1947
06-03-2020, 05:20 AM
[QUOTE=hunter1947;2177536]History tell it all from encounters I have watched many documentaries on grizzly bear encounters many of these documentaries whee from biologists the biologists state that most grizzly bears will have nothing to do with man kind and run away ,,only a low percentage of grizzlies will be a badass bear..[/QUOTE !

LOL :smile: and which ONE's will be the Bad Azz Bear's ? :-P RJ A person will know this when its time to unload your defender or other ..

338win mag
06-03-2020, 06:39 AM
I almost forgot about an incident my son and I had.
We were hanging a tree stand a few days before the season opened, so lots of noise going on, when we hear something running and coming in fast. Grab the 12, can't see much because its thick with poplar, but its right there about 30ft away then it steps out of the thick bush and its a small black bear looking at us sideways and licking its lips.
He slowly turned and then ran away, not sure what he thought he was going to do, he sure wasn't very big and we were looking for another bigger bear around (mother) but never saw one.

Outbound
06-03-2020, 08:37 AM
At 50 yards if a bear is acting aggressively, there's a round in the chamber and the safety is off as I back out if possible. I'll fire a warning shot if I can't get out of the area safely. If a bear starts charging from 30 yards, I start slinging lead. I put a slug into the dirt at the feet of an aggressive black bear from 40 yards. That changed his attitude and we went our separate ways. I have yet to need to use lethal force.

My bear defence gun which I carry when not hunting is a pump action 12 gauge. I carry it in "cruiser ready" mode; safety off, dry fired on an empty chamber, full mag tube. Under stress, I don't want to be fumbling for a little button safety. Fine motor skills break down when feces impact the air circulation device. Much easier to simply rack the action and have a round chambered, ready to fire.

metalface
06-03-2020, 10:02 AM
awesome footage thanks for sharing that

Last fall while sheep hunting, my gal and I had a curious grizzly come by camp 100 yards Once the video was recording, I had my rifle shouldered. I’m not sure how long I would have given (him?) if a charge started. He was 80-100 yards away, and agitated. My gut feeling is any type of charge would have gotten him in trouble.

https://youtu.be/8JMZlpotV1s (https://youtu.be/8JMZlpotV1s)

whitlers
06-03-2020, 11:07 AM
At 50 yards if a bear is acting aggressively, there's a round in the chamber and the safety is off as I back out if possible. I'll fire a warning shot if I can't get out of the area safely. If a bear starts charging from 30 yards, I start slinging lead. I put a slug into the dirt at the feet of an aggressive black bear from 40 yards. That changed his attitude and we went our separate ways. I have yet to need to use lethal force.

My bear defence gun which I carry when not hunting is a pump action 12 gauge. I carry it in "cruiser ready" mode; safety off, dry fired on an empty chamber, full mag tube. Under stress, I don't want to be fumbling for a little button safety. Fine motor skills break down when feces impact the air circulation device. Much easier to simply rack the action and have a round chambered, ready to fire.

I have done the same but I still leave the safety on but it's an easy safety to flip on the Moss 500. I know it will take extra time but I prefer an empty chamber for safety unless absolutely necessary.

weatherby_man
06-03-2020, 11:28 AM
Be mentally prepared to do what needs to be done. Prepare yourself for the off-chance it might happen and come to peace with what your decision will be in that time before it happens. Like many said you will know when the time comes to shoot, just make sure you dont waste a millisecond thinking about what you are about to do when it does, it may cost your life.

Outbound
06-03-2020, 12:00 PM
I have done the same but I still leave the safety on but it's an easy safety to flip on the Moss 500. I know it will take extra time but I prefer an empty chamber for safety unless absolutely necessary.

My chamber is empty in "cruiser ready". When prepping the gun, I dry fire it which unlocks the slide but I don't cycle the action, then load the magazine and leave the safety off. This means that I'm carrying it with an empty chamber but in order to fire I only need to rack the action to chamber a round and pull the trigger. Having the safety on makes zero difference if the chamber is empty.

Start at 30 seconds for the overview. Skip to 2:40 for how to set it up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dyqy8AC3uPQ

If you use a pump gun, I would also recommend learning the push-pull shotgun technique. You'll be able to get shots on target way faster and more accurately once you have it figured out. I've demonstrated this by shooting along side a friend who didn't know about it. I was shooting nearly twice as fast as he was.

Training, training, training. Always remember, people never rise to the occasion. They fall to the lowest level of their training. If you're cold, wet, and tired when a bear decides to charge are you going to be able to instinctively get rounds on target? I try to put at least 50 actual slugs down range each season. I shoot a few hundred rounds of birdshot and buckshot in order to build muscle memory. It really helps to have a target within your engagement range, hold the gun in your regular carry position and then have a buddy call out "bust 'im!" at random intervals. Practice getting the gun from carriage and into action over and over and over. You can even dry fire practice at home.

J_T
06-03-2020, 12:55 PM
As other's have said, after spending time in the bush, you'll know when it's the moment. Having said that, we've had lots of bears and grizzlies under 20 yards and haven't ended the life of one yet. Most aggressive was a beautiful blonde gizz with brown paws. Charged 3 times to about 3 metres and stood looking at us. Closest was a black bear at about 2 ft. Maintaining your calm, don't turn your back, stay together, watch your wind, are all 'things' to consider and keep in mind to ensure you walk out safely. Last year, we bumped a sow with 3 cubs under 10 yards. We read her body language, pulled guns out of our packs and let her have the wind and worked our way away and around her. Worked out fine. Watch the body language.

hunter1947
06-03-2020, 02:33 PM
I spend 8 months in the mountains and i have no idea on what grizzlies are going to do I do know this if any bear comes at me on a charge I won't let it get any closer then 40 yards then the lead flies..:grin::grin::grin:...

whitlers
06-03-2020, 04:42 PM
My chamber is empty in "cruiser ready". When prepping the gun, I dry fire it which unlocks the slide but I don't cycle the action, then load the magazine and leave the safety off. This means that I'm carrying it with an empty chamber but in order to fire I only need to rack the action to chamber a round and pull the trigger. Having the safety on makes zero difference if the chamber is empty.

Start at 30 seconds for the overview. Skip to 2:40 for how to set it up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dyqy8AC3uPQ

If you use a pump gun, I would also recommend learning the push-pull shotgun technique. You'll be able to get shots on target way faster and more accurately once you have it figured out. I've demonstrated this by shooting along side a friend who didn't know about it. I was shooting nearly twice as fast as he was.

Training, training, training. Always remember, people never rise to the occasion. They fall to the lowest level of their training. If you're cold, wet, and tired when a bear decides to charge are you going to be able to instinctively get rounds on target? I try to put at least 50 actual slugs down range each season. I shoot a few hundred rounds of birdshot and buckshot in order to build muscle memory. It really helps to have a target within your engagement range, hold the gun in your regular carry position and then have a buddy call out "bust 'im!" at random intervals. Practice getting the gun from carriage and into action over and over and over. You can even dry fire practice at home.

Yeah I knew what you were getting at. I was agreeing with you. I just do the extra step of leaving the safety on. Just force of habit really.

Huss
06-06-2020, 10:57 AM
They can be curious. Don’t get to trigger happy outside of 50 yards. Use caution and be aware. Try to get to understand their body language best you can.